• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WL pool closures in Sept. My vacation VENT!

So it is with regret that I say this...but please remove me from any and all WDW trip logs...

We had all of our vacations approved through our jobs (two week process), saved the funds to go(countless months, year?), made the dining reservations early, booked and paid the airfare, bought the Memory Maker, took every survey ever thrown at us over the numerous phone calls made to WDW and IPO, made the BBB and PL reservations, planned out the entire trip, started ordering specialty shirts via Etsy.

And now... 3 months (give or take) before we leave, with everything in place, they are closing the pool!

First off, thank you Disney for deciding to update the pool, and doing so during one of the more extremely hot times of the year, (ya know, instead of waiting until January or February).

Thank you Disney for also offering free dining during our chosen vacation time because now, I cannot get a reservation pretty much anywhere close to what I had at WL.

Thank you Disney, most of all, because you've pushed me to going on the cruise I wanted to go on in the first place.

Booking all of these things so far in advance and now pretty much cancelling my vacation due to your construction, I've now lost out on some of the more important things that my daughter wanted to participate in.

And yes, I might be immature for cancelling my vacation over a pool closure, but I also might be realistic and have expectations, that when you are paying $$$$ per night for a vacation, and you are going on the "vacation of a lifetime", you are entitled to a hotel without walking through ongoing construction and closures.

The single silver lining to all of this I have yet to tell the 5 year old who wanted to go for her birthday that she was even going, because telling her now that she's not, would be awful.

Refits have to be done at some time, and frankly January and February are busy times now as well as the summer.

I agree if this is a deal breaker for you and your family, best to cancel the vacation, but I would suggest maybe one of the other MANY WDW resorts, all special and magical in there own ways.

Not to mention 2 tops in the country water parks.

AKK

The quiet pool will be open and it just around the bend from the main pool.

The quiet pool is teeny tiny. I would also be changing my plans. The pool is a big deal especially with kids. My three prefer the pool to parks. I would dump the free dining and go with a resort discount. That way you can book anywhere and eat whatever you want rather than disney tying you to all those needless desserts and snacks. If you've already booked the cruise have fun. I know this situation is hard.

Booking another resort is easier said then done:worried: I was just on the WDW site and even without any discount AKL has only standard view, no availability at the beach club. I have paid for a courtyard view room and a club level room for my son's family. Even with the discount, paying for DDP and not including airfare I've already spent over $8,000.00. I' m really upset because I was originally going for the Poly but was warned of the construction. We went to the WL once before, during the room rehab but this is a speacial family trip and I like everyone elde did alot of planning and saving. The pool time at the end of August is very important to us. Everyone has their own priorities. With kids a special planned on pool is key.

Booking another resort is easier said then done:worried: I was just on the WDW site and even without any discount AKL has only standard view, no availability at the beach club. I have paid for a courtyard view room and a club level room for my son's family. Even with the discount, paying for DDP and not including airfare I've already spent over $8,000.00. I' m really upset because I was originally going for the Poly but was warned of the construction. We went to the WL once before, during the room rehab but this is a speacial family trip and I like everyone elde did alot of planning and saving. The pool time at the end of August is very important to us. Everyone has their own priorities. With kids a special planned on pool is key.

Yeah this exactly... There is NOTHING left and I think it's due to free dining. I had toyed with a move to POR but moving from a deluxe to a mod is a big step and the other deludes are either booked solid or much more money plus the loss of the Club Level...

I understand what everyone is saying about just move over to another resort, in this case it is much easier said than done...

I completely agree! I would be very upset if the resort I booked had major renovations going on that I was not aware of when booking. Especially a pool closure since our kids look forward to that. The deluxe resorts are very expensive and it is a lot of money to spend only to be disappointed. I am concerned about my Nov trip to the BC because I saw in a prev post that renovations will start this fall. Anyone know what this is? I need to prepare myself!!

I completely agree. Many of us save and save to take a vacation like this only every few years. I don't think it's a lot to ask that Disney let us know in advance if these types of closures will affect our stays. I am worried about our Nov trip at BC. I just read someone's post that renovations for fall will be going on! Does anyone know what this is?

I agree it is a big deal. But look at it this way--at least Disney has told you ahead of time. A few years back they didn't bother to do that

About 4 years ago I booked a room at POR because of the pool slide. It was closed our whole trip, with no prior notice. When I went to speak to the manager, to ask why we didn't have any notice so that we could have made other plans, even switched to another resort, he told me that Disney didn't feel they had to give people advanced notice. :sad2: Needless to say, I was not amused.

At least now they seem to realize that people prefer to know ahead of time what is going on. Now you have a choice, and are not stuck with dealing with whatever they offer you once you are already at WDW.

I agree that your situation stinks and I hope they compensated somehow.
As of now, Disney hasn't notified people... it's only people contacting Disney that is pulling whatever info we can get - and most of it contradicts other info or is that "nothing is on the books". That's where a lot of people are frustrated - if we could get a straight answer from Disney on tentative dates and what exactly is going to happen, I think people would feel better about making decisions to switch or not. Right now, from CMs, people have heard:

*work will commence after Labor Day
*work will start in August
*work will be confined to the pool deck
*work involves pool but pool will only be closed after 7p
*work involves pool necessitating full closure.

I mean, according to some CMs, there is no construction at WL right now!!! Even though people can see it!

Refits have to be done at some time, and frankly January and February are busy times now as well as the summer.

I agree if this is a deal breaker for you and your family, best to cancel the vacation, but I would suggest maybe one of the other MANY WDW resorts, all special and magical in there own ways.

Not to mention 2 tops in the country water parks.

January and February are much less 'pool friendly' weather months than August/September. Also, for many people there is no availability other than paying rack rate... and even then a lot of resorts only have higher category rooms available. I just wish they had made this information known before FD... we don't have it booked but I know many people who do and now they have absolutely no choice on where to move or they lose that offer. For some people that will literally put them out of budget for any other resort - think a family of 4 Disney adults... that's a huge savings that they lose!!!
Water parks are only an option for those who have already paid for WP&M or who want to spend the extra $$$. On top of that, you have a bunch of people who moved from Poly do to THAT feature pool being closed and now have to relocate again.

I get that a pool doesn't matter to some people, but for those of us that picked WL because it was budget friendly, paying additional to move to a more expensive resort or to buy WP tickets seems somewhat unfair. Not to mention the poor people who pick VWL because the pool there is usually quieter and now will enjoy the full fun of it becoming the resort's feature pool temporarily.

OP, I'm with you! We rented points and paid in full in November, so I can't just cancel. We have a 10 day trip planned, with pool time every single day. My kids LOVE the pool and this is their first trip to WDW, and not another planned for years. That VWL pool does look TINY.

I'm paying almost 5 grand for a room, I want the pool. Hoping I can switch my rented points to AKL.

This stinks.

Awe I do feel bad about this. We were at WL this week and the waterfall and lobby water area are covered for repairs, apparently they are extending the work to the pool next. We swam in the villa pool because the main pool was crazy busy. The villa pool is too small to accommodate the WL folks. Hopefully they will let you hop to the Contemporary. It's a short and fun boat ride away. If I had small children I would try and get something like that, pool time is important to us as well!

The main pool closure would be a deal breaker for us -- we've been carefully following Poly threads (and Tikiman site) to be sure on the main pool closure time frame because it's a big part of our trips. If our dates would've overlapped with the closure, then we would've just booked elsewhere. In OP's case, not much is available for them which I feel really bad about. AKL is even booked solid? CR wing room? We used to go to Disney in September and even though it's considered a "slow" time, I do remember having a hard time getting a resort I wanted due to lower prices and great deals.

I completely agree! I would be very upset if the resort I booked had major renovations going on that I was not aware of when booking. Especially a pool closure since our kids look forward to that. The deluxe resorts are very expensive and it is a lot of money to spend only to be disappointed. I am concerned about my Nov trip to the BC because I saw in a prev post that renovations will start this fall. Anyone know what this is? I need to prepare myself!!

It's supposed to start in September. The concierge room is being expanded and the rooms are being redone. I've also heard BCV will be redone. Those who booked a BC club level room have been moved to YC.

Yeah this exactly... There is NOTHING left and I think it's due to free dining. I had toyed with a move to POR but moving from a deluxe to a mod is a big step and the other deludes are either booked solid or much more money plus the loss of the Club Level...

I understand what everyone is saying about just move over to another resort, in this case it is much easier said than done...

Yes we're there during Free Dining as well and we're not even using it. Pretty much all of the FD rooms are long gone. There are still deluxe rooms available but most of the standard or garden view rooms for deluxe hotels are gone (Grand, Yacht, Beach Club, Wilderness).

It's ridiculous to close a pool in the hot summer months as opposed to the freezing temps in the winter.

It's ridiculous to close a pool in the hot summer months as opposed to the freezing temps in the winter.

Keep in mind you are talking about a resort in Florida. While it may get a bit chilly, it rarely is truly freezing.

When was your trip planned? I'm wondering bc I have a standard room booked at boardwalk inn sept 17-27 with dining that I need to cancel bc I booked YC instead.

I agree with you, I didn't book poly bc of pool. We have swim days scheduled during our trip.

Right now, from CMs, people have heard:

*work will commence after Labor Day
*work will start in August
*work will be confined to the pool deck
*work involves pool but pool will only be closed after 7p
*work involves pool necessitating full closure.

I get that a pool doesn't matter to some people, but for those of us that picked WL because it was budget friendly, paying additional to move to a more expensive resort or to buy WP tickets seems somewhat unfair. Not to mention the poor people who pick VWL because the pool there is usually quieter and now will enjoy the full fun of it becoming the resort's feature pool temporarily.

Yeah, we are headed down on 09/12... so pretty much it's being "prepped" to be closed while we're there.

EXACTLY!!! The thing is I could move to CR if there were a wing available. But for me to move to CR I have to pay an additional $500 to my package, but the extra dining, Club Level breakfasts that I didn't budget for at WL, I know have to pay extra for because I would not be CL at Contemp. While I love Contemp. to add that much more to what I'm already spending is crazy!!!

I'm paying almost 5 grand for a room, I want the pool. Hoping I can switch my rented points to AKL.

This stinks.

Yep...my vacation is going to cost me around $7k... I want a pool for $7k... for crying out loud I could drop one in my backyard for that price!!!

When was your trip planned? I'm wondering bc I have a standard room booked at boardwalk inn sept 17-27 with dining that I need to cancel bc I booked YC instead.

I agree with you, I didn't book poly bc of pool. We have swim days scheduled during our trip.

Congrats on the move to YC... it's not available for us... :(

We were headed 09/12 to 09/20...

Construction would be a deal breaker for me as well even if I didn't use the pool and the reason is the ambiance, especially the wilderness lodge. I was visiting there last month and they had construction fences around the stream that goes into the pool and it changed the whole vibe. Themeing and convinience is why I spend big money for disney resorts so when that's effected, they aren't getting my money.
And don't get me started on the Polynesian mess oh lord

Totally agree with you OP. No backlash here. I can't figure out why they wouldn't do this pool construction during the winter months. It makes no sense to me. I would be very upset, too. Having to use a small quiet pool instead of a feature pool at a deluxe resort would not sit well with me. Guess there's people who can overlook that but I would not be one of them.

Are you able to switch to another resort or is your trip too close?

I am not sure that they can afford to. It keeps getting more and more expensive. My oldest DD who is the organizer wanted to switch however the others seem to want to stay. DS 22 would happily have pitched a tent to save money if the campgrounds were included in FD lol.

There is still a lot to do at WL. All their dining reservations are based around staying at WL. Chef Mickeys, Park Faire, Whispering Canyon. They have the water park option.

I am sure they will be fine. I do not see any of them using a pool slide that much anyhow. It is just that I wanted it to be perfect for them. I stayed at POP when their main pool was closed. It did not effect me at all, but the "look" of the resort was ruined by the pool being blocked off.

As much as DD 21 is planning on spending hours sitting by the pool I honestly do not see that happening with all their other plans.

I would be upset also. My wife and I are bringing our daughter and our grandkids to WL in February. I know that the last time the kids went to the pool almost every evening. It gave them a chance to cool down and relax before heading to the room and sleeping! It would not be a deal breaker for us, but we would not be to happy.

Sending good thoughts for you and your family to have a wonderful time on the cruise!

Is this repair/upkeep work, or are they changing parts of the pool/falls?

CT_Jeff

$7K?!! WOW, am I super glad I'm a Florida Resident...

But, for that price, is there nowhere else to stay at that would be a nice, pleasant stay? Granted, no Free dining, but is free dining really free? :confused3
I wouldn't want to stay on a resort with a pool being refurbished, either.

I was just there in May, and I was SO disappointed with the Poly. It was a bad time to see it for the first time! I had such high hopes for it! The refurbishing they are doing there is quite intense...a lot going on at the Poly. I wouldn't have wanted to be staying there during those times.

How many nights did you plan to stay? I noticed you decided to take a cruise, are you going with a Disney Cruise?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter