WL pool closures in Sept. My vacation VENT!

I am sympathizing with the OP. Sometimes I wonder who exactly makes these decisions and thought it was the logical thing to do during the hottest times of the year instead of the coolest like they do with the waterparks. I would not be happer either.

Not sure if you've mentioned it yet, but the other deluxe resort that is affordable like WL is Animal Kingdom Lodge. I know the location of the resort isn't desirable but could that be an option for you?

It does suck that you weren't notified earlier but for me, I'd just change my plans and try to remain positive. We had reservations at ASMu because our friends we are travelling with need space for 5 and they wanted the suites. As soon as the food court remodel was announced, we switched resorts to POR. It's costing us more money but it's a sacrifice we make.

I'd look into giving up free dining and club level, much more availability would open up and you'd save money. Any of the mods would hardly be slumming it.

There will not be a time it does not inconvenience someone. That is the nature of a business that stays open 24/7 year round. While you might think Jan or February is a better time, those guests would not.

Actually as far as occupancy levels go, September is less busy.

It does suck that you weren't notified earlier but for me, I'd just change my plans and try to remain positive. We had reservations at ASMu because our friends we are travelling with need space for 5 and they wanted the suites. As soon as the food court remodel was announced, we switched resorts to POR. It's costing us more money but it's a sacrifice we make.

I'd look into giving up free dining and club level, much more availability would open up and you'd save money. Any of the mods would hardly be slumming it.

For those with FD, there is either no or VERY limited availability to switch - most would require upgrading to a more expensive deluxe room (all I found would add an extra $85 a night). I would gladly switch to a mod... however they are all booked up for FD or have limited availability - POR is available for most of my nights (but not all) but we need preferred room to guarantee the third bed and savings become minimal based on what I had at WL... plus I lose the perks of proximity and it messes with my ADRs which were MK resort specific (a lot harder to make a 930 Kona ADR from POR -- and I have been trying to find later times just in general and nothing has popped in the last month). Also, giving up CL doesn't = saving money. I know many people who budget CL costs in for their food - grabbing snack there and maybe light apps for dinner with a smaller meal. A friend of mine stays CL at AK with her two teenage sons and figures they save >$75 a day on food and drinks which is the cost difference to upgrade. Since she and DH get beer and wine, they feel like they come out ahead. To give up CL means to have to figure out how to fill the gaps the food would fill... so even if it costs the same to move from WL CL to standard somewhere else, the food and drinks they would enjoy CL need to be added onto vacation costs.

While I normally wouldn't be as up in arms about this as I am, there are two huge factors making this much more of a problem than it needs to be: communication and FD. There has been absolutely awful information coming from every which way about what is going on which is ludicrous -- we learned on the Yuletide Fantasy tour that Disney plans over a year out for the holidays (meaning they are working on Christmas '15 right now), so you can't convince me that this project just crept up unexpectedly. And, while I TOTALLY understand dates fluctuate, giving a general window would be better than saying a mix of "nothing/sometime late summer/after Labor Day". Now that FD has come out, the availability of people to move around has been greatly reduced. I am checking every day to see if something opens up within my price range at a resort but I'm double screwed - the start of F&W means EPCOT resorts are gone and Poly construction means displaced Poly people are filling in the slots at other deluxes. In the end, we will probably end up staying at WL because I'd rather do that than pay an extra $850 that it is looking like to move.

While I understand the need for Disney to change and refurb, it would make so much more sense to me to pick fall as a time to do room or ride refurbs (lower crowds and all). As PP already pointed out, they close WP in the winter because attendance drops like the temps... logic would lead one to believe pools would follow a similar course.

I understand your being upset but what does Christmas decorations have to do with pool rehabs, I see no correlation at all.

Getting ready for Christmas does not involve dealing with guests. You want them to let you know in advance this is going to happen, if they did and it got changed, would you be upset about that? Even if you didn't many others would be.

Because believe me construction and rehabs get delayed all the time.

How far is enough notice? 6 months, then the people that booked 6. 5 months in advance they are upset.

There honestly is no way to do it without upsetting someone. Also Disney subcontracts out some of their work and they have to take that into consideration too.

As to Free dining, they offer it to fill rooms, so obviously your time period was not heavily booked which would also be a time that pools would be worked on.

Would I cancel a vacation at Disney? Never!!!!!

Come on, you can certainly find somewhere else at WDW that will make you happy! You know you want to go!!! :goodvibes ::yes:: :thumbsup2

I can totally see where the OP is coming from! We are forecasting our trip next month will cost us just under $8,000. When we were making our travel arrangements, we were deciding if we felt like we were getting the value and experience we were expecting for $8,000. We could have selected a moderate or a value resort with a substantial savings, but we wanted the amenities of a deluxe and decided we were willing to spend the money to get them. To be told after the fact (and too late to make a satisfactory change) that some of the amenities would be unavailable, would NOT make me happy. Basically, you feel like you are getting a product that is not what it was represented to you as. Many may disagree and think it is silly to cancel over a pool closure, but people who utilize the pools quite a bit are entitled to feel differently.

I understand maintenance has to be performed - but it should be a priority to let people now what the schedule is, so they can make changes accordingly. The permit for the pool work was obtained quite some time ago - so they knew this was coming. If a cruise ship can tell me 12 months out when a ship will be in dry dock for repairs - a hotel can notify its customers of its plans in a timely manner. Emergency repairs are a different story.

I understand your being upset but what does Christmas decorations have to do with pool rehabs, I see no correlation at all.

Getting ready for Christmas does not involve dealing with guests. You want them to let you know in advance this is going to happen, if they did and it got changed, would you be upset about that? Even if you didn't many others would be.

Because believe me construction and rehabs get delayed all the time.

How far is enough notice? 6 months, they the people that booked 6. 5 months in advance they are upset.

There honestly is no way to do it without upsetting someone. Also Disney subcontracts out some of their work and they have to take that into consideration too.

As to Free dining, they offer it to fill rooms, so obviously your time period was not heavily booked which would also be a time that pools would be worked on.

I couldn't agree more. Life happens, things and circumstances change. 3 months is plenty of notice. I would assume POR without free dining would be close to WL with free dining, cost wise? I always tell my teenage son, you don't always get what you want. It's easy to get mad at DW for planning a closure during MY stay. But no matter how you look at it, it's going to be an inconvenience no matter when it's done. I'd take it with a grain of salt. I wouldn't cancel, I'd either give up free dining and stay somewhere cheaper or I'd pay more to go elsewhere.

I called WL directly yesterday. For what it is worth, I told the CM all the rumors here and the email from the CL regarding pool closure. She said there is NO rehab or closure planned. Only room refurbs which are taking place right now. I know you can't rely on a phone call but until the official word comes out, if it does, we are staying right there with a back up room reservation at GF. Good luck! pixiedust:

I called WL directly yesterday. For what it is worth, I told the CM all the rumors here and the email from the CL regarding pool closure. She said there is NO rehab or closure planned. Only room refurbs which are taking place right now. I know you can't rely on a phone call but until the official word comes out, if it does, we are staying right there with a back up room reservation at GF. Good luck! pixiedust:

I'm pretty much at the point with this where I'm just not going to stress over it anymore. I wrote to guest communications yesterday with questions regarding the situation. Kept it brief, pleasant, but asked directly about pool closures during our stay. (August 20th through the 29th). Probably won't here back from them for a week or so, but I'll post the response if I get one.

There is so much conflicting info I think the best thing to do at this point is just wait it our for official word. My wife and I have thought about switching resorts, but frankly, were already stretching to afford the WL for 10 days, and any of the other deluxe would add anywhere from $800 to God knows how much to our stay. We don't want to stay mod this year as we are celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary, plus our 10th trip to WDW with the kids.

Just praying at this point the pool is actually open when we are there as it is a fairly big part of our day, and we really enjoy the pool area at the WL more than most others due to the theme and setting of it.

dimndgal1 said:
POR is available for most of my nights (but not all) but we need preferred room to guarantee the third bed

:confused3 You don't need a Preferred room. Every Alligator Bayou room with two beds holds five peoppl, not list the four buildings closest to Registration.

There has been absolutely awful information coming from every which way about what is going on which is ludicrous -- we learned on the Yuletide Fantasy tour that Disney plans over a year out for the holidays (meaning they are working on Christmas '15 right now), so you can't convince me that this project just crept up unexpectedly.

You can't reasonably compare an annual occurrence covering the entire property celebrating a centuries-old holiday to a necessary repair/rehab.

While I understand the need for Disney to change and refurb, it would make so much more sense to me to pick fall as a time to do room or ride refurbs (lower crowds and all).

Mid-August on is the slow period. That's when many states start school - southern states, where it's HOT.

I'm pretty much at the point with this where I'm just not going to stress over it anymore. I wrote to guest communications yesterday with questions regarding the situation. Kept it brief, pleasant, but asked directly about pool closures during our stay. (August 20th through the 29th). Probably won't here back from them for a week or so, but I'll post the response if I get one.

There is so much conflicting info I think the best thing to do at this point is just wait it our for official word. My wife and I have thought about switching resorts, but frankly, were already stretching to afford the WL for 10 days, and any of the other deluxe would add anywhere from $800 to God knows how much to our stay. We don't want to stay mod this year as we are celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary, plus our 10th trip to WDW with the kids.

Just praying at this point the pool is actually open when we are there as it is a fairly big part of our day, and we really enjoy the pool area at the WL more than most others due to the theme and setting of it.

I just posted on the WL thread that I did email and ironically responded to your post! We are staying at AoA, then YC, then the last few days at WL, so the pool would be a bummer after all that. At this point, the kids are fine with a move to GF if it is closed. It is $371 more to move but it was the least expensive MK resort I could find(CR was $500). We all love WL but not without the main pool in August heat!:thumbsup2. I agree about not stressing over it. ::yes::

I understand maintenance has to be performed - but it should be a priority to let people now what the schedule is, so they can make changes accordingly. The permit for the pool work was obtained quite some time ago - so they knew this was coming. If a cruise ship can tell me 12 months out when a ship will be in dry dock for repairs - a hotel can notify its customers of its plans in a timely manner. Emergency repairs are a different story.

Anyone who has ever lived though a construction project knows that you need to be able to go with the flow. Sure, they will give you dates, they will say that they will start work on this section on this date and end on that date, but stuff happens. Materials are mis-shipped, the weather doesn't cooperate, or construction workers quit.

How mad would people be if Disney announced a pool closure, and then the dates were off? Instead of the pool closing on one date it closed on another, and a family had spent extra $$ changing resorts or buying water park tickets? Or how angry would you be if the date the pool was to open the pool was still unfinished? It is all but impossible to give set dates like that, especially months and months ahead of time.

I couldn't agree more. Life happens, things and circumstances change. 3 months is plenty of notice. I would assume POR without free dining would be close to WL with free dining, cost wise? I always tell my teenage son, you don't always get what you want. It's easy to get mad at DW for planning a closure during MY stay. But no matter how you look at it, it's going to be an inconvenience no matter when it's done. I'd take it with a grain of salt. I wouldn't cancel, I'd either give up free dining and stay somewhere cheaper or I'd pay more to go elsewhere.

I think people's biggest frustration is not the construction but the misinformation FROM WDW about it. If they came out and said "Yes, there is a pool rehab planned and it will close the main pool, and while we don't have official dates, it is aiming for after Labor Day" then people can decide what they want to do. As of now, people have talked to actual CMs at WL (not phone CMs) and gotten a range of answers.

:confused3 You don't need a Preferred room. Every Alligator Bayou room with two beds holds five peoppl, not list the four buildings closest to Registration.

Mid-August on is the slow period. That's when many states start school - southern states, where it's HOT.

Yes, I would have to book preferred because we are 3 adults, 1 child, and 1 infant so not guaranteed an AB room. However, I do not want to make my friend sleep in a bed with my DD6 so we would book preferred to guarantee the pull down bed.

Also, the fact it's HOT is why people are saying it's a poor time to do the pool. Jan and Feb are also slow times and people are less inclined to swim... hence the Water Parks closing during that time. Also, the fact that the Poly feature pool is down means there are two deluxe resorts missing feature pools during the HOT time of year.

Anyone who has ever lived though a construction project knows that you need to be able to go with the flow. Sure, they will give you dates, they will say that they will start work on this section on this date and end on that date, but stuff happens. Materials are mis-shipped, the weather doesn't cooperate, or construction workers quit.

How mad would people be if Disney announced a pool closure, and then the dates were off? Instead of the pool closing on one date it closed on another, and a family had spent extra $$ changing resorts or buying water park tickets? Or how angry would you be if the date the pool was to open the pool was still unfinished? It is all but impossible to give set dates like that, especially months and months ahead of time.

I totally understand this and am not mad that Disney is doing the construction - stuff happens. I'm mad that I have no options right now that fit the bill. If Sept is such a slow time why are so many resorts booked up? I can't afford to pay rack rate for any rooms above value (and refuse to move to a value v move off property), can't find full availability at any of the mods for my whole stay, and can't shell out an extra grand on my already expensive vacation.

FWIW, Disney has given ZERO notification about this project. The official word is that there is no construction scheduled (which is wrong because there is construction NOW). THAT is where I am frustrated.

I am glad that there are people here who would have no problem shelling out additional money but we are not part of that group and for now I just wish people would say "man that stinks, hope it works out" v. condemning those of us who are at a loss of how to proceed.

September is booked up because of Free Dining.

I don't think Disney will offer an official word on the pool being closed until right before it happens, when they are very sure of the dates. Honestly the CMs should be denying all knowledge as all they are doing is stirring up a hornet's nest. Guessing construction dates really isn't helpful.

I'm also wondering if they do pool construction in the summer, just so guests who really want to swim have the water parks as an option. That makes sense.

I'm another one here who wouldn't cancel my plans over pool construction. While I get that this is something super important to some people, you're at Disney World! Go have fun! Alot of people have commented and said what about people who won't get to experience Disney again for awhile or not ever... well they should be doing just that, experiencing Disney, not lounging by the pool. I have no idea when my FI and I will make it back to Disney, so I don't plan to spend much if any time by the pool. I could go to my parents house if I wanted that, but I want princesses, and Minnie & Mickey and good food ;)

Also like others have said, you have to take it with a grain of salt. The construction will effect someone regardless. There is no way around that. If it wasn't you, it was another family. Well yes it sucks that it is you, it's life it happens. Disney is still gonna bring in money off of this, so yes they could probably care less.

I thought I had found a direct number ....I called it, she responded "cubs den"...So I asked anyway, and she said they(CMs at the Lodge) are usually the last to know about projects of this nature.

Just wanted to clarify. She wants a preferred room most likely as this is the only way to guarentee a Bayou room. A standard can be mansion( sleeps only 4) or bayou. Though wouldnt they have to put a room of 5 in Bayou??

I hope this is not true. We recently had to change resorts because Poly is closing their pool. August with no pool is not acceptable so we made the switch but it does make me sad that I had to change my vacation plans to stay at a resort that I had dreamed about because Disney decided to renovate the pool. Yes, I get that its "low season" but it also the hottest season.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter