WISH'ers walking, running and "other"ing in 2012--General Discussion thread

I hope I am in the right spot. I am new to the boards and ready to commit to doing the Princess Half at WDW in Feb. 2012. I have been an on-again, off-again runner for about two years and have only ever run 5Ks. I am determined to get of the couch and get running again - my goal is to finish the the half in the time required to receive a medal. I heard that joining a WISH team was a great way to stay motivated, receive encouragement and tips from experienced Disney race runners and to connect with others running in the half.

Welcome sc_dreamer. You will find people of all shapes. sizes and abilities on this board. things these days seem to be organized around races, so if you haven't joined the Princess thread, by all means do so.

And if you have any general questions, feel free to ask.

If you can do a 5k, then you are ready to start training for Princess. Find a plan, don't try to do too much-too soon, and take each training day one at a time.

Good luck,

Maura

Hi all. I am in for the training. Knee is healing and I have been putting in some walking. Got clearance to pick up my pace and have begun to work at that slowly hoping to it do too much to fast.

Whee! Here it goes!

Happy training all. Get better quickly for those with injuries.

I started to post on this tread yesterday and got busy...

Summer is coming to an end and the runs have been hot and hard for me. Now, comes the training for my first full in January. I'm using Hal Higdon's Marathon 3 plan. I have used his programs in the past, but have cut back to three runs a week and his usually call for more, but this is a 3 day run plan so I am going to try it.

Welcome to the many new runners/walker here. I come here for support and to have other chime in on questions that I have and I try to give encouragement to others.

My new toy (I got for Mother's Day) is the Nike sport watch. I love it and it is fun to see my mile splits and path I have taken and some other stuff that entertains me. Other news for me is I'm now an empty nester. I have two in college and two out with JOBS!

Hope everyone has had a great summer! And happy training.

Ran my longest run of my training for the Wine and Dine yesterday. 15 miles! How's your training for this race going?

Got out this morning for 12 miles..wasn't sure about the weather at bedtime last night as they said we would get much rain and thunder storms from left over Lee, but no rain just very very humid. I travel to CA to visit family this weekend and look forward to non humid running. Finish up in Denver to visit my son and wonder how the elevation will make me feel. Training is going fine for my first full in January.

Hope everyone is getting out and running/walking with a smile!

Hi everyone! I thought I would introduce myself. I am pretty new to running and actually have always told myself I wasn't "a runner". In high school, my coach would make me run a lap for punishment (I was a diver/swimmer). I couldn't make it one lap without collapsing. Last year, I ran my first 5k in 35:06 and felt a HUGE sense of accomplishment. I have lost about 30lbs in the last year and feel ready to tackle a much bigger race.....the Tinkerbell Half in January!! I will be racing a 5k on October 8th, then a 10k on Thankgiving Day, which is about the halfway point to the Tink. I have just started my training, which is the Jeff Galloway method and I feel pretty good. Went out yesterday for my first outdoor training and did 2.5 miles in 30 minutes (please, no laughing from the experienced runners....I'm SLOOOOW). What was wonderful was I felt great....no huffing or puffing and I felt like that was something I could keep up for a sustained distance. The fact that I'm CHOOSING to run is a miracle! The girl who couldn't run was itching to go for a run today (but I didn't because I'm supposed to take a day off in between runs....lol). Looking forward to tomorrow when I can hit the road again for another training session! I'm so excited to see what my body is capable of and really amazed that I can go out for a "quick 2.5 mile run" when running more than 30 seconds was unheard of without wanting to die. I'm currently reading this book, Born to Run, and it's inspiring me to find the love of running, the freedom I feel when I run, etc.

Anyways, I just wanted to share with everyone where I came from and if I'm able to do this, anyone can!! I've always been in awe anyone that could run a few miles and now I'm THAT person :yay: Not only that, but I'm actually going to do 13.1 of them.....in a ROW! Still shaking my head in disbelief a little over that one....:rotfl:

Hello folks, another newcomer to this thread although I've posted around here a couple of times recently.

Jan from PA, 49-year-old runner of 2 1/2 years. My 2011 goals were a 50k in March and my 2nd marathon in May. A bad knee kept me out of both races. Toward mid-summer I could finally run without pain again and in August I decided 8 months was too long to wait to run a marathon. So I'm doing Las Vegas in December. I do have one "first" coming up....my first 1/2 marathon next month. Along the way I somehow missed doing that distance in an official race.

I am looking even farther ahead and planning for 2012. It would be great to make up that missed 50k in the winter. Then do something ambitious in honor of my 50th birthday....50 miles, or the Goofy Challenge, or BQ....my heart is racing just thinking about it. So many running possibilities. :yay:

moonbill2002Welcome! Sounds like you are making great, positive progress towards the Tink. Hope your other races are just as enjoyable.

Jan Welcome to the fun! I volunteered last weekend at an Ultra--they were doing 50k, 50 mile, 100k and 100 mile. I really came away with the sense of how different those kind of races can be. I would like to try a 50k at some point--for now I'm just trying to come back from a 4-month layoff due to injury, so 5k is my current limit! I understand your looking to do something ambitious for your 50. For me, it was to start running and to run a race. And bit by bit, it grew. Glad I was able to do Boston before this current setback, but hope to come back strong next year. Good luck with your training.

So I ran ~4.5 miles today trying to do some "speedwork". It was awful and wonderful at the same time. I am still trying to figure out how to ramp up without injury, but also train towards the half in January to run a respectable time. I will probably jumble a couple of plans together and dial (way) back on my training paces to start. I think I'll find a 5k to do at the end o the month to get a gauge of how I'm doing.

Maura

Jan & Maura - I can't encourage you enough to run an ultra. The ones I've done are some of the best events I've ever been a part of. They're much more laid-back than a regular race, the volunteers are off-the-charts helpful (they fill & replace the water bottles on your belt for you, for example), and the sense of camaraderie among the participants puts even the Disney races to shame. :)

Thanks Maura and John. :) I first encountered the 50k while on a long training run for my first (only LOL) marathon. They were running when I got there and running when I finished. Thought they were crazy at first but stayed around to watch as they started the final loop. Not only were these people doing 50k...with five miles left, they were running harder than I ever had! They had my interest. I looked up the race a few months later and noted registration had started for the next year. Sent my check in so fast that I got bib #1. LOL Ended up not being able to do it of course but hopefully in 2012. I'll register if I'm still healthy after Vegas.

I love the challenge of going farther than everyone else, or up the steepest hill. Good thing too, because I'm never going to be the fastest.

So, I ran a half marathon trail race last weekend. I'm not a big trail runner, but the description and pictures looked nice enough and it was raising money for a good cause (my favorite kind of race). Well . . . I was not prepared for the rugged nature of the race. And based on some of the discussions I overhead after the race, I wasn't the only one. As an added complication, I have been running on more minimal shoes the past six months, so my feet took an extra tough beating (they are still suffering)! Steep up and down sections, loose gravel, exposed roots, logs to hurdle - it was a challenge. But I'm glad I did it and I could see myself getting more into trail running in the future. But I need more experience. Someone remind me of this before I sign up for another trail race, :rotfl:!

Cami Hope your feet recover soon! I guess it takes a different kind of training for those races. I need to do some research, but I do think it could be fun, too.

I've made it back up to a whopping 6 miles in my "Return to Run" tour. This weekend I am planning on trying 10. Not sure if I'll finish it, but my plan 1/2 plan calls for an "easy, non-timed" 10 vs. the usual goal time, so I figure this will be a good way to jump into a LR.

Ran 1 5k last weekend to see where I stand time-wise and now have some training times to work with. So as long as I foam roll, yoga-stretch, I am hoping to ramp things back up. Still not "symptom-free"in my neck/arm/shoulder, but I seem to at least be holding steady.

Hope everyone is getting into their plans for the races in January. Dare I get excited yet that I may be able to participate?

Maura

I somehow managed to get all my training (for the Jan full) in this week after a 10 day USA tour. JK. I went to CA to visit family and back through Denver to visit my son. I was able to get a few runs in while out of town and my DH and I did a 25 mile bike ride in the mountains of Colorado...on rented bikes. :eek: They really need more oxygen up in those mountains.
Got in Monday at 1am and did a LR on Monday morning. :eek: And my upper body was so sore from doing Yoga in the Park on Sunday morning in Denver.

I thought I would get into trail running this summer, but when I went to try on trail running shoes at different places the sales guys always discouraged me with comment about safety and homeless on trails etc. so it never happened. I do love to hike with my DH and family so I will stick with that for now.

Cami Try soaking your feet in some epsom salt.

Maura Glad to see that you are back out there. Have you ever heard of M.E.L.T.? You tube it, I tied it this week and hope to keep on with it.

There was an early registration table for the Pittsburgh Marathon at the expo this morning so I signed up. The lowest price plus $20 in gift certificates, can't beat that. Of course it's not till May....

I lost a good bit of money in race fees after I got hurt last winter so maybe this wasn't the smartest move. Oh well, it's done. In fact I am going to sign up for every dang race I missed.

Hi All
I thought I would jump in on this thread since I read it but never post.
I am quite a bit farther back on the running train than most of you, but I am still having fun. I finished my 5th half marathon at Disneyland and made a PR at 2:26. It was the first time I ran the majority of the race, so that was exciting for me. I took a couple weeks off and now I am starting to train for the R&R Las Vegas. I haven't participation in a R&R before, but DH really wanted to go to Vegas again (there is a fight that weekend he wants to see - yuck!) So I am making a race weekend out of it. Hopefully I can get back into training. I have a much harder time now that the days are shorter. I have always been a late evening runner, but can't do that anymore. Too dark. Soon I will have snow and Ice to deal with. No fun.

Hey Manda, I'm going to be in Vegas too. :) I don't consider a person who has done FIVE halfs as being behind in any way.

Hi, folks. I'm Debra, and I used to be a WISHer. :upsidedow

Yep, it's been months since I've posted with any consistency - maybe even a year - although I keep in touch with many folks on Facebook.

It turns out that I've been really cranky recently over not being able to go to Wine & Dine and see some of you. I must have mentioned it once too often because DOOD (Dear One of Debra, my DH) asked me, "When was the last time you posted on the DIS?"

And that's when it hit me, just how long it's been. And FB is no substitute for the interactions.

So, I'm back. I can't promise to be a daily poster the way I used to be - my work life doesn't allow that anymore - but I'm going to be my best. Because, yes, as odd as it sounds and against the evidence, I miss you all! :yay:

As for the mandatory update....No Wine & Dine for me, but we've signed up for WDW Marathon and are *hoping* to still make it. It's been a crazy, hectic past few months with job changes.

To that end, I'm in training. Working on consistency, which has been a problem with scheduling. But I did the scheduled 8 this weekend - even though both my Garmin & iPod gave out during the run. Gotta love overcoming technical failures; I feel like such a running warrior just for completing a goal! :cool1:

Anyway, I'm glad to be back & looking forward to catching up with everyone!

Debra You MUST make it in January. Otherwise, you'll miss my triumphal return! ;)
Seriously, hope you can make it down--even briefly. (This from someone who still has not actually signed up for a race yet!)

Joan Next year we'll get those trails Meantime, marathon training is plenty to keep you busy!

pensgirl10 Are you a PA'er? (judging from your name) If so, you will master those hills in Pittsburgh. You can always ask Debra about them---she's a local.

Manda We are NOT thinking/talking/having nightmares about snow til at least November! Good luck, though, with your training for Vegas. Bet it would be fun to run down the strip at night.

As for me....I did my 10 miles yesterday. It was pretty good, given that it was the longest I have run since April and on pavement. Time was reasonable and give me some hope that I haven't lost all the "speed" (a relative term, for sure!) that I had built up. Most of it, but not all! Today I'm a little achy and need to nurse my knees/IT band, so I'm off to the pool to do kick sets and my PT weights.

Maura

Yep, I'm from the Pittsburgh area. I enjoy hills and it's a good thing I do. LOL I'm doing a 10 mile race next month that is pure hill, we did it last year and it was my lowest pace ever....whatever you call the opposite of a PR....that was it. My friend swore NEVER AGAIN. But I am and I am going to attack it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter