WISH'ers walking, running and "other"ing in 2012--General Discussion thread

Let me just say...I think the cycle trainer may be more boring than the treadmill:scared1:

I"m doing the Hal Higdon Marathon 3 for my full training. It is three runs a week, which is good for me and biking the day after the long run. Today is was so wet out...another thunder shower at day break that my DH put my bike on the trainer, my first time, and it was so boring, but I did what I do on the TM, I don't look at the time or distance for as long as possible. I made it 65 min. out of my schedule 70 minute ride!:cheer2:

Welcome back to Debra

You amaze me Maura

Hope you have fun in Vegas Pensgirl and Manda

joan4mickey.....I think the cycle trainer may be more boring than the treadmill

As with the TM, indoor cycling really does not equal road riding and indoor cycling is most definitely boring.

2 hours is my indoor limit but on the road, give me a beautiful day and 6 hours or more and I'm in heaven.

Thanks Joan. I am doing Hal's Intermediate 2 and using the cross training day as a second rest day. I figure that at my age, I'm entitled. LOL My week starts today with 4, 8, 4, rest, then 8 & 16 on the weekend. I'm going to try to keep up but as the weeks go on might have to drop a short day.

Pensgirl10: Are you doing the full or the half in Vegas? I am looking forward to the running Elvi.

Debra: Good job on running with the wires. I have trouble without my Garmin because I don’t really map out runs so everything is just run until the watch says I have gone far enough. I am not consistent enough in pace to know how far I have gone based on time.

Maura: I wish I could wait until November to worry about snow, but we usually get some in October. So far this year looks good. Still 80 here, but that can change at any moment. But that will be my last mention of the yucky white stuff until it actually falls.

Joan: Inside exercising is just hard. I am impressed that you kept to your schedule even with the rain.

AFM: I ran 5 this weekend. It was nice because it felt super short! I could have done more but was happy not too because I had too much other stuff to get done. My house in falling apart and fix it projects and cleaning are taking a lot of my time these days. I hope to get a quick speed work run in after work today before I go back to fixing the garage door (awesome!) We will see how it goes.

Debra You MUST make it in January. Otherwise, you'll miss my triumphal return! ;)
Seriously, hope you can make it down--even briefly. (This from someone who still has not actually signed up for a race yet!)

Not only would you miss Maura's return, you'd also miss the Great Gallowstopping Adventure currently being planned by me, Corinna, Richard, and a few others. Their main goal is to take lots of pictures with characters. Mine is to start late enough and run slow enough to hit the Everest coaster at mile 17. Missed it last year by 15 minutes.

Mandac, I'm running the full. What I'm looking forward to is running down the strip, all lit up in the dark. :) And to meeting two online friends of 10 years for the first time. But mostly I'm just plain excited to be doing another marathon.

John: What is this Gallowstopping of which you speak. Does it involves costume running, say, with a blue wig? Silly poses? I would have to run really fast to have the time to do EE....so I'm no longer speaking to you about your slowing down plan. :lmao:

Maura: And how is your triumphal return coming. I've seen you doing some good runs, from my p.o.v. How are you feeling about them? You also seem focused on putting in the PT time....impressive.

pensgirl10: You enjoy hills? I'm not a Pgh native, and I've learned to live with them. Love them, not so much. I do admit, though, there is a certain satisfaction to not giving into the hills.

I hope you have a great time in Vegas, and maybe you and Manda meet up sometime for a WISH pic!

Joan: Congrats on getting through the boring WO, and resisting the temptation to look at time and distance. I think the boring indoor workouts are the hardest, but probably good for mental toughness!

JohnVN: Six hours outdoors. :worship:

Manda: I find that training time makes it difficult to keep up with projects around the house. Of course, I like that excuse. But you, you seem like you know what you're doing with fix-it chores! :yay:

AFM: Oh, you guys are great with your support! How I've missed you! Of course I want to make it to WDW this January. DOOD and I have signed up for the event, pulling back to the marathon because we weren't sure we could do an extended trip for the Goofy. It's just now that's kind of a rough scheduling, too, for a lot of reasons. Like I said, we're training in hopes that some personal things work out.

In the meantime, I head to WDW next weekend for Food & Wine and MNSSHP. And I'm really looking forward to some flat running in the World, and I've planned a cutback week while I'm there. :woohoo:

Well, I think here is the place to jump in to be part of a running camaraderie group, right? :lovestruc I signed up for my first half in January-Tinker Bell! I saw it just decided it was for me! So now, 5 months and lots of training later, I am up from barely making a mile to now being able to run about 5miles w/o much effort. I can run a consistent 10min mile so I am starting to think I will be able to finish w/o getting swept. Am I on target? I am not a fast runner, but given the time I have worked my way up to being okay with running longer distances. I have the Galloway training program printed out but I feel like I should be running more than 30 minutes on the weekday runs.
Since I am new, I have looked into Runner's World and their training programs and they are so different from the Galloway one so I am confused.:confused:
Does anyone have advice for a 40something mom-turned-runner to help me do well and not get swept in January? I have no delusions that I will wear a costumer! I am just hoping to be standing at the finish and not riding a bus. :)

momof3lovebugs Welcome..you are in a great place (thread).
I'm was a 40 something turned runner (was as in now I'm 50). You sound like you are doing great. You have a great pace. There are many training plans. I find one that works for me and my schedule and one that I am comfortable with. I run three days a week and cross train 2-3 days a week. When I started I ran 5 day a week and I suffered some minor overuse injuries. Listen to your body!

momof3lovebugs What Joan said......Seriously, if you can run 10 mpm then you are doing great. And if your current plan works, then don't mess with it. (You do have a plan, right? This is a necessity) As another 50+ runner, I also use a 3x/week run plan--but that's because when I started I didn't really think I could/like to run more often! It turns out to be more than fine for training. And I also XT 2-3 days/week.

Sounds like you're in fine shape. Just take your time to build & train slowly and you'll be good to go in January.

Debra On a non-selfish note (and I probably don't sing nearly as many of thee as I should or you do), I hope you're issues resolve themselves in a positive way. If you guys can't make it down, we'll raise a glass for you (would during the race be too much? :) )

Maura

John: What is this Gallowstopping of which you speak. Does it involves costume running, say, with a blue wig? Silly poses? I would have to run really fast to have the time to do EE....so I'm no longer speaking to you about your slowing down plan. :lmao:

It's something Corinna, Richard, me, and some other Ohanas were talking about doing during Goofy. We're calling it Gallowstopping because instead of taking walk breaks, we're stopping for picture breaks with the characters. I'm sure we'll bring it up over there again once we get closer to race day. :) And yes, of course it involves costumes. I can't do a Disney race without one. Hadn't thought about the poses though. Maybe we'll put you in charge of those. :lmao:

momof3lovebugs - I'm an almost 50-year old Galloway runner, training for my 5th marathon. I've been part of an official Galloway group for 5 years now, and have rarely run more than 3x/week. And I rarely cross-train. :ssst: Don't tell anyone! You should have no problem finishing within the time limit. The first couple of years I kept my midweek runs to around 30 minutes, and only as I grew more confident was I able to increase my time and distance (and speed.) But I'm still not running a 10 min mile! Good luck with your first half. You're definitely in the right place!

John - I'm still envious of the Everest attempt. Like Debra, I don't know that I'll ever actually have time to brave that, but maybe one day... Or maybe I should find a fast partner for the relay to run the first leg? I guess it doesn't matter this year, since it looks like we won't be going in January. :sad2:

Maura - I'm so disappointed that I won't get to witness your triumphant return. I'm confident that it will be splendid! You're doing such a great job building mileage. Are you doing Boston again?

Pensgirl - Vegas sounds like fun. And I don't know how the Pittsburgh hills compare to Raleigh's, but we're pretty sure there aren't any flat areas here. Every long run somehow ends up being a hill run, but I figure I'm ready for anything. Even the last charge up to the Iwo Jima memorial at MCM in 30 days. :eek:

Yep, 30 days till MCM. My heart just did a flip-flop. 8 miles this weekend, then we're scheduled for 26 next weekend. Gotta love that Galloway plan. The best part about it is knowing I don't HAVE to do all 26. Anything 20 or above will be good. Somehow it's easier to tell myself that, and then bargain with my body along the way!

Jackie

October has come in with a real Fall like feel and so those long runs should be a little easier without all the heat.

This weekend I signed up to do my fourth Princess, but this year my DD and I are running as a team. I got airfare for her and me. It will be our weekend and will also be her Christmas gift.

I'm still debating the drive/fly issue for marathon weekend. I'm taking my other DD and DS (they are doing the relay) and me (my first marathon). It's about a 10 hour drive from where they both attend college and they want to be back for the winter semester on Monday the 9th (classes start Wednesday the 11th). So that would be a long time to ride home and I have another 3 hours by myself. I could stay the night with DD before coming home.

I missed the new Disney Visa discount..but will try again on Wednesday when General Public discount comes out.

Thanks for the replies! :flower3: I sort of have a plan. I have been using the Galloway 'finish in a standing position' plan. :rotfl: It has me running 30 minutes Tues/Thurs and then the runs on Saturdays vary. It started with 3 miles then went to 2, then up to 4. It will increase until 13. When I look at Runners World, it has me doing a completely different training. My dh, who has been running a looooong time, said I should quit looking at the Galloway plan b/c that is for people who have not been doing much fitness training at all and certainly not running three days a week like I have been.
This past week I got sidelined due to a uti and meds and my doctor telling me to back off my training due to increased injury risk of my tendons (how do they know these things???) from the antibiotics. :eek::sad1: I have been going stir crazy and will likely ignore the warnings and go out today or tomorrow at the latest.
I'm still not totally comforatable with the costume idea. :cutie: I am just waaaaaaay too picky about my comfort when I run! I can't wear hats or gloves or high socks or the wrong shorts etc....The TB has me worried since it is so dang early in the am...I am not sure WHAT to wear!! lol!:cutie:

Thanks for the replies! :flower3: I sort of have a plan. I have been using the Galloway 'finish in a standing position' plan. :rotfl:

Uh-oh, I can already see where there's going to be a problem. You are supposed to finish "upright and *with a smile on your face*".

It has me running 30 minutes Tues/Thurs and then the runs on Saturdays vary. It started with 3 miles then went to 2, then up to 4. It will increase until 13. When I look at Runners World, it has me doing a completely different training. My dh, who has been running a looooong time, said I should quit looking at the Galloway plan b/c that is for people who have not been doing much fitness training at all and certainly not running three days a week like I have been.

That's something only you can judge. If you finish a run feeling like you hardly got a workout, if you enjoy it and WANT to get out there more often, then maybe you should step it up a bit.

The TB has me worried since it is so dang early in the am...I am not sure WHAT to wear!! lol!:cutie:

Layer with clothes you don't mind losing. Wear a hoodie over a t-shirt or jogging pants over shorts. Remove at the starting line if the weather is good - some races have barrels set up for this purpose and everything is donated to charity. You can also drop down a layer during the race, just make sure to toss your extras off the course. And remember that while moving it's easier to remove a top than a bottom. :laughing:

WOO HOO!! Just finished my longest long run...15 miles. First 9 miles were great, no walk breaks, the last 4 miles were a bit harder. But, I feel more confident in trusting my program. Now to figure out how to recover from the Jan. full and prepare for the Princess half. All suggestions/input welcome. And I'd like to put in a weather request for Marathon Weekend....this morning was great...overcast and mid 50's.

Hope everyone is having great runs!

JoanCongrats on the 15! And even more on learning to trust a program--that can be a hard thing to do. After the full, I would take 1-2 weeks of easy XT and short runs of a few miles. See how you feel. The toward the mid/end of January I would increase your mileage gradually, working towards LR of 10 miles or so. You may be able to jump into a half plan at a logical place.

But definitely give yourself time to recover. After my first marathon at Disney, it took me a week before I could even walk normally! (I messed up my IT bands)

As for me and my training.....going pretty well except yesterday. Was supposed to run 9 and slogged slowly through 3 before calling it quits. Apparently, giving blood on Friday took more out of me than I would have thought. Maybe if I had run a lot slower it would have been better, but I honestly forgot. Oh well, next weekend will be better.

Maura

I'm a little late on this since it's now October, but what the heck....

My goals for the rest of this year and 2012.....

Entering my first 5k later this month. My goal for that is to run a sub 25 minute 5k

Entering my second 5k in December (might do one in November, but not sure yet). My goal for that is to medal in it. Based on last year's times, I have a chance to place in top 3 of my age group if I run a sub 25 minute time.

Enter my first 1/2 marathon next year, which is the Snickers Marathon in Albany, GA (my hometown). It's actually a Boston Qualifier. Since it'll be my first 1/2 marathon, I'm shooting for a finishing time around 2 hours. I'd be thrilled with a sub 2 hour finish, but I'd be happy with something close to that.

Other than that, I want to enter a few 5k's and continue training to run my first Disney marathon in 2013. I'd personally love to do the full marathon in 2013, but we'll see. I want to get my 5k time down to sub 22 minutes with a long-term goal of sub 20 minutes.

What an amazing thread that I have found here! I have enjoyed reading everyone's goals and progress this year! My remaining goals for 2011:

Run RNR St. Louis full Marathon on 10/23

Run a local 1/2 Marathon on New Years'

Sign up for at least one Disney Endurance race for 2012 - it's not the training I'm going to need luck with, it's the hubby agreeing to allocate the resources. Because of course, this would be in additon to our annual family Disney vacation! Maybe I should go solo to cut costs and meet up with some of these Dis friends!

Good luck everyone!

Brenda
Mom of 4 :laundy:
Lover of Disney :love:
Dedicated Galloway Runner :yay:
Physical Therapist (in my spare time!) :grouphug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!