• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wine and Dine 2015

If lat year holds true (which I'm sure there will be some tweaks), I'll be in G with a friend. Our third didn't submit a time, wouldn't listen to us when we told her to ("I never have before and I'm always in B or C!") and she's in the 14k range.

This happened for Disneyland too and she wound up so sore from darting around people at the start, hopefully this won't kill her too bad again!

I would stick to your plan. Maybe only 13 miles two weeks before. Four weeks is long for a 1/2 marathon taper. The Galloway, "Time Improvement" plan has us doing 17 miles three weeks out, but we come back a week later with 7 miles at Lactate Threshold (McMillan cruise interval pace); with warm-up and warm-down that's 10 miles or more. If you feel really knackered or your joints and bones are feeling beat up by all means skip a mile here and there. Don't start speed work now if you haven't been doing it all along. It's hard to give advice without knowing what you've done to get to this point.

Thanks, I am not doing a lot of speedwork, just easy long and slightly less easy short runs. I will just stick with my original plan and taper two weeks out. :)

question concerning expo on thursday, about what time will the bus's start shuttling us over if the expo starts at 10 am? I have ADR's for sanaa at AKL at 2 and want to get in and out of expo in a reasonable time

Looks like hubby and I will be in D based on last year's corrals. I'm cool with that. Gonna try to finish quickly with minimal stops for more time at the after party

Joe will likely be in D as well, so I'll need y'all to save me some drinks!

question concerning expo on thursday, about what time will the bus's start shuttling us over if the expo starts at 10 am? I have ADR's for sanaa at AKL at 2 and want to get in and out of expo in a reasonable time

Expo doesn't start till Friday. :)

I just discovered there is a half marathon in my not-so-big (30k) city next Saturday when I'm supposed to be doing 12.5 (or 14... still not sure :)). The "not-so-big" part being key because the race is covering a significant portion of what would have been my route.

Maybe the right answer to this is to just register for the half? ;)

Registering is always the right answer, especially when it means you can get a fully supported long run in.

I'm in the early 6000s. I'll take it!
We may end up being in the same corral!
My husband is 6375 and I'm 6389; sounds like we might be in the same corral with some of ya'll!
DH is 7253 and I'm 7262. We both submitted the exact same proof of time. That looks like H last year so I'd be happy with that.
That was my big worry too :) I don't care what corral 6300 is, as long as it's not the last one! :)
Bib #6588 :) Looks like I should be in H too if it's similar to last year. It seems like several of us may be in that corral. In training news, I'm behind on my training plan but did 10 this morning in a time I'm happy with so hopefully the race will go well. I'm doing the 5k that morning as well, and this is the first time I'm doing 2 races in a day so that's the only thing I'm worried about.
I am in awe of anyone who does the multiple races... I need all my energy for the one race. :D I am surprised that there's no challenge for doing the 5K and the half.
My wife and I are running the 5K, eating, then napping in time to wake up for the Half.
I'm 7226...so that puts me around H if it runs close to last year. :)
I am in H by last years breakdown.

Base on the responses and I'm in H based on last year too, so does mean we can have a large DIS Board meet up right in Corral H?

In other news, I PR'd on Saturday at the Showdown Half in Fairview, TX. 2:49:50. That's 6 minutes faster than my previous PR. Now I have a 1/2 this coming Sunday that I will take my time and not rush. Probably a 3:20ish finish. Then 2 weeks until W&D.

By comparison my fastest rD race to date was Tinkerbell Half 2015 (with the 10K challenge the day before) at 2:57:15 and that included 3 picture stops. If only I hadn't stopped :rolleyes1

I'm hoping this year's W&D is my new rD PR.

Bib # 7234. I will take it as that is where I wanted to be but had an injury for the 1/2 that I submitted. Looking forward to running with some of you.

Registering is always the right answer, especially when it means you can get a fully supported long run in.
Yeah, I'm leaning towards doing it. :) A dress rehearsal is what I have in mind. I'm going to be running the distance anyway, this gives me my last long run with actual race conditions... i.e. no 20 minutes of stopping here there and everywhere. I actually don't know where the 20 minutes went in my last long run! It was 12.5 miles in 2:45 even, but the elapsed time was 3:06. I know some of it went into stopping at a corner store and buying more water and refilling my bottle, a little bit to stopping to eat gels and cross a couple streets, but I wouldn't have added that up to 21 minutes worth. :o (Edit: Oh, I remember now, I stopped by a picturesque pond to take some photos... that makes me feel better that a good chunk of that was a photo session and not me just stopping on the actual road while running).

The only concern I have is that the race is very small... it looks like there are currently 72 people registered and last year there were 140 finishers. I have a very real fear of being last in this one. :o I know I'm not supposed to care, and I've reached a point where in a shorter race, I wouldn't. But it is hard to not feel bad about finishing in possibly like 3 hours when the winners have been finished for 1.5-2 hours and the bulk of the people came in between like 2:00-2:30. I have been going through last year's results and it look like some of the people who finished in the 2:45 range are registered again, and a couple who finished in 3:06 (and were last) are as well, so it's not like I'd be the only one coming in that late hopefully. I'm not embarrassed about being that slow... more I just feel bad for all the volunteers and stuff who are still waiting around for everyone on what is going to probably be a very chilly day in the 40's, and the winners who are maybe waiting around for the awards at the conclusion of the race. I would hope maybe they would do that at some designated point earlier rather than waiting for me. :o

Last edited:
Well, it looks like they are planning to have sweepers and a 3 hour cutoff so I guess they are planning to be out there that long anyway. :) I should just make sure to listen to some music instead of my podcasts to hopefully keep my pace a little brisker and I should make the cutoff. ;)

Not so patiently awaiting the gift card as well....just got back from a quick weekend in WDW. Weather was great for park touring, still a little warm for a race though. Good thing it will hopefully cool down in the next few weeks.

Bib in the 2600's here. That puts me up a corral from last year, using the same PoT. Odd, but it'll work.

How quick do they move through the corral starts? Looks like I'll be in J so quite away back.

Hopefully faster than Tink... the corrals were far apart there. I didn't get my race started until > 45 min after it started. There were people halfway done the race by the time we started! :D But there were fewer (bigger) corrals there (the last one was G), and it sounds like from what people are saying, they move faster at WDW.

The corrals at WDW races are much smaller and more controlled than those in DLR. In WDW there is usually only between two (for the earlier corrals) and five (for the later corrals) spacing. Unlike DLR races where the race starts, your corral moves up 50 yards, you wait ten minutes then repeat and repeat until its your corral's turn, race starts at WDW seem to be a steady (although slow) walk to the start line. I like it as it is easier on my mental state and keeps me focused and keeps my 'head in the game'.

The corrals at WDW races are much smaller and more controlled than those in DLR. In WDW there is usually only between two (for the earlier corrals) and five (for the later corrals) spacing. Unlike DLR races where the race starts, your corral moves up 50 yards, you wait ten minutes then repeat and repeat until its your corral's turn, race starts at WDW seem to be a steady (although slow) walk to the start line. I like it as it is easier on my mental state and keeps me focused and keeps my 'head in the game'.
Awesome... that sounds much better. At DLR it was a little bit of a letdown. We were SO far back and there were no speakers or screens or anything back there. We could see some lights flashing way in the distance, and we saw the one set of fireworks for the wheelchair start to go off, and that was exciting, but it quickly became a chilly boring "man I gotta pee already and I can't even distract myself with Facebook because there's no network" wait. :) We weren't close enough to see or hear the festivities from the last corral until the one 2 ahead of us was going to go, and by then we'd already been waiting 30 or more minutes, and then it was exciting but only until we realized he was doing the same spiel for every corral that got to the front, so by the time we were up there we were on our 3rd listen. :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter