Will not stay at Poly again

Any similar experiences at Poly?

• Total voters
The maintenance has to be done, and unfortunately there is no time that will please everyone. I've seen someone else on this board complain bitterly about being disturbed by maintenance noise in the middle of the afternoon, because her kids were taking a nap. There is no time they can do the work that will not disturb someone. Try and temper your annoyance with the understanding that they're not trying to disturb you, and their job is just as much a part of creating Disney magic as the actors who play Mickey and Minnie.

Exactly. There is no magic time at which every person at the resort will be up and about, and no one disturbed. Maybe the lesson is to not have a lake view, if they are noisy while doing upkeep.

Let me first say that we have spent a total of 11 nights at Poly this year on two different trips one in July the other this past week during Thanksgiving... I must point out that the room renovations are fantastic, they are spacious, the second shower is extremely convenient and the over all property looks amazing. However the level of noise before 9am from the Maintenance and Landscape departments shocking. During our stay this past week we were in room 1036, first floor Lake view. EVERY morning at 6:50am there was a worker riding a small tractor raking the beaches!! He started on the Ticket and Transportation side of the property and worked his way to the boat landing. Took him about an hour. Then around 8:15 am he started his Leaf blower and blew the sand that was tracked on to the sidewalks from his Tractor wheels and blew it all back to the beach. Now, I completely understand maintaining the property to our expectations, but starting at 6:50am in my opinion is unnessasary. During our stay in July, our family was woken 5 consecutive days before 9am with these landscaping and maintenance activities. Grass mowing, tree trimming, pressure washing our sliding glass door on a Sunday morning, which startled each of us when the pressure washer come across the door, ear blowers.
I'm sharing our experience because if you are a family who takes advantage of the late night extended Magic Hours, you might want to book another property other then Poly, because you will be awakened early the next morning.
And yes, I brought our experience to the Manger on Duty as well as an email after our visit. We received no return email.

We were above you in 2034 and heard them every morning. It wasn't a big deal for us because we did rope drop every day, but it did strike me as annoying for anyone that was trying to sleep.

Gardeners works from about 4AM until about 12PM or 5AM to 1PM at WDW. They work when the parks are empty and the temperatures are cooler. And they work every day of the year. My son just worked Thanksgiving and will also work Christmas Day.

I can't believe this place sometimes. Of course is ok to be mad because people are operating heavy machinery outside your window at 6 am when you pay 400$ a night for a hotel room. If there is work that need to be done at that time it needs to be quiet if there is absolutely no way that work can be done quietly and it needs to be doe at that time then you don't build hotel rooms in that area.

I can't believe this place sometimes. Of course is ok to be mad because people are operating heavy machinery outside your window at 6 am when you pay 400$ a night for a hotel room. If there is work that need to be done at that time it needs to be quiet if there is absolutely no way that work can be done quietly and it needs to be doe at that time then you don't build hotel rooms in that area.
What about at 7:00 a.m.? Note this complaint was 6:50, not 6:00.

I suspect they're allowed to start at 7 and some workers try to get a short head start.

So you are saying hotel rooms should only be built on sand dunes and in parking lots?

Landscaping is pretty critical for most resorts. Cutting grass in the heat of the day is pretty terrible for the grass.

So you are saying hotel rooms should only be built on sand dunes and in parking lots?

Landscaping is pretty critical for most resorts. Cutting grass in the heat of the day is pretty terrible for the grass.

I would say a good hour to start heavy machinery next to hotel rooms would be 9 am either way the complain was not about a grass mower it was a tractor and a leaf blower.

I don't see why an hour on the tractor going back and forth on the beach could not be done at 9 am instead of 6:50.

My son says they (Horticulture Dept) aren't allowed to use powered equipment until after 9AM at the resorts. But the resorts may have different staff for their specific operations. Like the golf courses have to be mowed before the first tee time (which might be at 8AM).

I could see where they wouldn't want a tractor riding on the beach and sidewalk when the guests might be out. So they start earlier than the guests start coming out to that area.

especially in the summer. the difference between 6am and 9am could be 30 degrees.

plus, I would rather work 6am to 3pm in the florida sun vs 9am to 6pm.

I understand what you are saying but that is an employee issue not a guest issue. I think being out between 6 and 7 AM outside rooms is too early to rake sand. The issue where the the tractor is at the end of Moorea. There are somethings that absolutely need to be done early, I don't know if that is one of them. Again it is small area that has minimal guest usage but it is close to rooms.

There are upwards of thousands of guests at each resort along with hundreds of CMs, many using noisy equipment. At night not only might we hear CM and guests outside our villa, but many guests talk very noisy in the hallways at all hours and even allow their children to run down the hall (and NOT using "indoor voices"). I certainly cannot expect that our room will be as quiet as a tomb even during late evening and early morning hours.

You can hold a hotel to a higher standard than guests. It is appropriate to vacuum the lobby areas overnight but not hallways near rooms. The hotels understand that and do NOT vacuum near rooms. I think it is reasonable to keep some maintenance items near rooms to be done a bit later than between 6 and 7 AM. or to use leaf blowers near room patios before 8 AM.

I recall one trip at the Boardwalk when we were staying Boardwalk view. I fully understood there would be noise from guests and entertainers in the evening and noise from the people leaving the bars at night and the boat noise. What I did not expect was rolling food carts (tall metal racks) going up and down the boardwalk at 6 in the morning (hitting every seam in the boards). The noise echoed off the building and happened multiple days. I asked the mgr at the hotel and they informed me that it should not be happening and they were unaware, it stopped. My point is that just because workers are doing something doesn't mean they are suppose to at that point of the day. Procedures sometimes get lost overtime.

When we stayed at Boardwalk recently there was construction noise between 7 and 8 AM (I was already up). It was not suppose to start till 9. When I checked with the desk later that day, they had already addressed it. On the same trip Boardwalk was power washing sidewalks and the building around 10 AM in the pool area, after that the gardeners came through trimming bushes and then leaf blower guy came through. I hit the trifecta, while annoying when trying to read, it was understandable.

[QUOTE="gdrj, post: 54808764, member: 413035"

You can hold a hotel to a higher standard than guests. It is appropriate to vacuum the lobby areas overnight but not hallways near rooms. The hotels understand that and do NOT vacuum near rooms. I think it is reasonable to keep some maintenance items near rooms to be done a bit later than between 6 and 7 AM. or to use leaf blowers near room patios before 8 AM.

[/QUOTE]

The OP was complaining about maintenance starting at 7 am. Which is not at all overnight.

Exactly. There is no magic time at which every person at the resort will be up and about, and no one disturbed. Maybe the lesson is to not have a lake view, if they are noisy while doing upkeep.

This was our first experience with the Lake view side. We also had noise and disturbances happen over our summer vacation when we did not have a lake view. The noise of upkeep is NOT acceptable (I don't care what side you stay on) when a power washer rattles your sliding glass doors and moves your patio furniture at 7am!

When we stay at BWV we have a HA room and the wall behind Master Bedroom bed is the elevator wall. You hear it all night but we just put the white noise app on. You can also hear them powerwash the pool area very early but again, sound machine drowns out all noise.

This was our first experience with the Lake view side. We also had noise and disturbances happen over our summer vacation when we did not have a lake view. The noise of upkeep is NOT acceptable (I don't care what side you stay on) when a power washer rattles your sliding glass doors and moves your patio furniture at 7am!

There is no time that everyone will find acceptable. That is the problem. Some people would be angry about it at 10 am.

From boat horns to ground upkeep noises... Is poly the noisiest rooms around?!

We have three white noise machines, so we are ok and prepared in January. Thanks for the heads up!!

There are pretty standard "quiet" hours at hotels, condos etc.

Most hotels and condos are not at theme parks. So you can argue more people are staying up later and sleeping later. Or even argue that they are getting up earlier than the typical traveler. Any way you slice it Disney has a very small time where there are not guests around to get things done.

From boat horns to ground upkeep noises... Is poly the noisiest rooms around?!

We have three white noise machines, so we are ok and prepared in January. Thanks for the heads up!!

I actually found the fireworks from MK to be pretty noisy. So if you have little ones you are putting to bed, you may want to check the fireworks schedule too.

[QUOTE="gdrj, post: 54808764, member: 413035"

maxiesmom says:
The OP was complaining about maintenance starting at 7 am. Which is not at all overnight.

The Vacuum was an example of how somethings can be done overnight (in the lobby) but doing that near guests would be inappropriate. So instead of overnight I will say it would be inappropriate to vacuum outside a room at 6 or 7 or quite honestly 8 AM. Common sense says a hotel knows what is appropriate and not. Hosing down sidewalks is appropriate overnight, using a jackhammer would not. So as the OP suggests 6:50 AM is early, while it does not fit "your" definition of overnight for most people it would deemed earlier than acceptable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter