Will not stay at Poly again

Any similar experiences at Poly?

• Total voters
I was wondering if maybe the special style of construction of the Poly and Contemporary might have something to do with it, although I'm not sure if the 3 DVC buildings which were constructed later were the same type of construction, with the slide-in pre-fab rooms like Roy Disney helped design. I'm guessing that maybe not, since the rooms are a slightly different size.

But it made me wonder if having a slide in design contributed to not being able to put as much insulation between the rooms. The Contemporary has some concrete separating the rooms near the exterior, like you see on the sides of your balcony, which might mitigate it over there (and if you've noticed, the floors of the rooms in the tower sink down due to this unique construction, and apparently the rooms have settled enough that they can no longer be removed in the same way they were slid in, but we are getting off topic).

Since Tikiman responded that the rooms were entirely gutted and one could walk the length of the building I think that sets aside any thought that they had a modular type build that would not have allowed them to to modify. Either way, insulation can be added even to a concrete wall but a concrete wall would not have the same noise transference as a drywall.

Was just going to add - even if the original Poly longhouses were built as modular I don't believe it was concrete of any sort. I know I've read a few things about the builds of both CR and Poly and seem to recall that some of the Poly info that is out there as "fact" really isn't.

Last edited:
Just got back from a 5 night stay in a lakeview studio in Moorea. Pleased to report that there was no undue noise with the exception of the ferry boat horn that started about 730 am on days with extra magic hours. It seemed like all the construction at the resort is done. We even got to use the new oasis pool which opened as a surprise on Saturday. We spent the whole afternoon sitting by the pool and drinking dole whip cocktails.

We stayed in room 3036 in October and could not agree more with OP comments! We felt it was one of the best views and loudest room at WDW.

I can appreciate the landscapers wanting to start early in the Florida sun. I don't blame the person who is doing the work. I do blame management for not providing quieter equipment and/or more personnel to complete the tasks and coming up with the proper procedures to minimize the impact on the guests vacation.

A few things that came to my mind while I was trying to enjoy the morning on the balcony with my cup of coffee:

1-The landscapers should have an electric cart instead a loud gas powered cart.
2-They could use the electric cart to rake the beach and use a hand rake next to sidewalks.
3-On the back of the loud gas powered cart there was another gas engine that powered a pump that dispersed chemicals into the lake to deter the algae that is growing in the lake. Instead of gas powered pump go to an electric pump using batteries.
4-Train the workers not to drag the hoses so sand goes onto the sidewalks,perhaps, take the cart onto the beach at one entry point and exit at another point. This way the sand isn't dragged onto the sidewalks along the entire length of the beach. The sand would be minimized to the entry and exit points. Also, the should rinse the tires after leaving the so they don't drag sand on the sidewalks.
5-Take a push broom and sweep any sand back onto the beach that has gotten onto sidewalks.

I am sure there are even better ideas than these. The technologies exists to quietly handle the tasks they need to handle. Disney needs to invest in them. Instead of one guy perhaps they need two guys for the morning tasks.

These rooms are signature rooms at WDW going for $600 night for a studio to $3,500 a night for a bungalow. There is no excuse for this amount of noise at this 6:50 a.m. If Disney wanted to figure it out they could.

Why aren't they using a Beachbot that they developed for Aulani??

http://www.wired.com/2015/01/disney-invents-adorable-robot-making-giant-sand-drawings/#slide-1

Having been in the turf maintenance industry for much of my life (and some at a resort), I feel I have a greater understanding of the issues at hand.

1-The landscapers should have an electric cart instead a loud gas powered cart.
-Electric carts only last a certain amount of time and can be more expensive to operate over time. If they charge runs out, then the employee is out of luck until it is charged back up. As where if they run out of gas, all it takes a little fuel and they are back in business. Though just in the past year, Toro and E-Z-Go have come out with electric products that are supposed to handle all day stress.

2-They could use the electric cart to rake the beach and use a hand rake next to sidewalks.
-The machine they use is called a Sand-Pro and is specifically built to give a nice level sand surface. Utilizing an Electric 4 wheeled cart will not give them the time needed to perform the tasks at hand and will also not give a level surface
3-On the back of the loud gas powered cart there was another gas engine that powered a pump that dispersed chemicals into the lake to deter the algae that is growing in the lake. Instead of gas powered pump go to an electric pump using batteries.
-They could use an electric pump yes, but I don't know of a product out there at present time that can efficiently put out the chemicals that are required.
4-Train the workers not to drag the hoses so sand goes onto the sidewalks,perhaps, take the cart onto the beach at one entry point and exit at another point. This way the sand isn't dragged onto the sidewalks along the entire length of the beach. The sand would be minimized to the entry and exit points. Also, the should rinse the tires after leaving the so they don't drag sand on the sidewalks.
-Not a bad idea, but what about the cart's tire tracks on the beach? Also consistently driving on one spot will make ruts that require more work in the future. The same applies for the entry and exit spots. You would be amazed at how little time this issue can arise. Rinsing the tires? where would you get the water to do that?
5-Take a push broom and sweep any sand back onto the beach that has gotten onto sidewalks.
- I don't argue with this at all. Clean up after yourself.

The big issue here is the time in which to do the work. I would assume by 8:30 or 9 there are already people out on the beach trying catch some rays. So are you going to ask the guests to move while trying to rake the beach? These guys are just trying to make sure they do their job so that the surrounds are kept up. If they didn't rake the beach each day, I believe many more complaints would be had.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter