Will I miss anything by skipping Hogsmeade?

Diagon Alley has pretty much been given the crown for best themed area at any park anywhere so I can't agree with you.I would agree with the others that Forbidden Journey is a bit better than Gringott's but Gringott's is still a very good ride and the Hogwarts express is a must do,my point is that both areas are worth doing and you need to get a 2 park pass.

Ignoring the rides themselves (I actually like Gringotts better than FJ but the reverse for the queues),IMO, 90% of the story takes place in Hogwart's and that is the true jewel in the crown of the WWOHP. We'll have to agree to disagree. Different strokes...

We just got back last night from a 3 week trip to Orlando. First week we went to Disney and SeaWorld a lot. Second week we did Universal & SeaWorld. Third week we did nothing but Disney.

I went into the trip dragging my heels over Universal. I had such a terrible time 13 years ago I never wanted to go back. But the Harry Potter World sections kept enticing m to come. I bought a 3-day multi-day ticket without the park-to-park option because I thought I'd save some money too. Someone advised me I had to upgrade to ride the train. Best thing I ever did.

My first day wasn't that great except for riding the Harry Potter train and seeing Diagon Alley. Second day was fantastic. Third day I was debating what sort of ticket to get for our return trip in October.

Universal did an amazing job with their Harry Potter worlds. Much better than Disney has done lately. In fact, I spent my last week at Disney largely critical and unhappy because I kept making comparisons. Universal puts Disney to shame in so many ways. I know get why so many teenagers and regulars say Disney is lacking.

You're better off spending at least a couple days in Universal and getting the park-to-park option. Then you can truly enjoy Diagon Alley. Hogsmeade and the Harry Potter Train. Plus you'll have time to take in some of the other attractions. Only problem you may have is ruining yourself for Disney. The flaws do become apparent quickly. MyMagic/FP+ is ridiculously complicated and unhelpful compared to Express Queue Passes. I feel like I'm in school or at a work conference at Disney, whereas Universal and SeaWorld I'm on vacation.

I am so glad this thread was started here! I have one day in Universal and one day at Disney in a few weeks. I am so excited to see Harry Potter world, and thanks to this thread I have a better idea of what to plan and see!

You should also really check out the threads on the actual Universal forums.

Add me to the "can't imagine not doing both" list. If it's an actual option for you, take it. I went last year when only Hogsmeade was open and could have spent my whole day there. Walking through the entrance and seeing Hogwarts Castle, buying candy at Honeydukes, drinking a butterbeer outside of the Three Broomsticks...it almost made me cry with joy, as a huge HP fan. The rides in that area are fun, and getting to walk through the castle is beyond words.

This year I went back and we did the park-to-park specifically for this reason. While I did enjoy Diagon Alley, I didn't get the same feeling. It was cool, and if we go back we'll do park-to-park, but I prefer Hogsmeade.

I'll be somewhat the contrarian and say that I was very disappointed with the Forbidden Journey attraction.

The queue was marvelous. The technical aspects were one of a kind.

But as a Disney veteran who is connected to the HP saga as well, I felt it had no story telling. Here's a whomping willow. Here's a spider. Oooh, look out, a dementor. Wow, you're flying through a quidditch game. OK, you're done.

Had the same reaction in '14 as I did in '11. Hopefully when I get to Diagon Alley I won't feel the same. (Looking forward to spotting the Hidden Voldemort on the train.)

I'll be somewhat the contrarian and say that I was very disappointed with the Forbidden Journey attraction.

The queue was marvelous. The technical aspects were one of a kind.

But as a Disney veteran who is connected to the HP saga as well, I felt it had no story telling. Here's a whomping willow. Here's a spider. Oooh, look out, a dementor. Wow, you're flying through a quidditch game. OK, you're done.

Had the same reaction in '14 as I did in '11. Hopefully when I get to Diagon Alley I won't feel the same. (Looking forward to spotting the Hidden Voldemort on the train.)

Don't blink, it took me about 3 tries to finally spot him even after I knew where to look.

If you can swing a 2-park pass, do it. Yes, IMHO, Diagon Alley trumps Hogsmeade overall, but Hogwart's Express, especially and Hogwart's are unbelievable. My jaw dropped when Hogwart's Express entered the station. It's just unbelievably well done. We didn't do Forbidden Journey, but did tour Hogwart's - it's amazing. I'm not even a big Universal or Harry Potter fan, but the entire WWOHP experience is far beyond anything you would even see in WDW and I'm a HUGE Disney fan! If you have to scrimp somewhere else in your vacation to swing the 2-park pass, seriously, do it!!!

I am a huge Harry Potter fan as well. Last November, I finally made my trip to Universal. It was a dream comes true. I agree Diagon Alley was AMAZING, but I can't forget when I crossed the bridge and saw Hogwarts for the first time--it was like I was a child again and saw Cinderella's Castle for the first time. Other part of Universal didn't "wow" me, but I truly could spend a few days just in WWOHP. As a fellow fan, I feel you should spend the money and have the entire experience. I didn't like any of the rides. The 3D simulation rides give my vertigo and headache. However, I still would spend the hour or two to line up for the ride just for the line itself. I was inside Hogswart and Grignotts!!! You don't want to miss out any part of it. Another trip is more expensive than adding a second park.

I went to Universal/IOA for the first time in 15 years last December. The Harry Potter areas are amazing! I also got way to excited about the Dr. Suess area in IOA because it was all done up for Christmas.

But I wanted to share about the 2-park pass. I purchased the "2-day park-to-park pass plus 3rd day free" from Undercover Tourist and was able to upgrade it at the park to a Universal Power Pass annual pass for just $9 more! I am now going back to Orlando in May and I will already have my pass for Universal, and I plan to go again at Halloween which will also be included in that one year pass. I unfortunately didn't spring for the Disney pass last December, but may do that in May.

Doesn't this post belong on one of the Universal forums? Cyrano, quit mailing it in and do your job.

Potentially, the problem isn't that the ride doesn't have any story. But, that there is so much going on that the storyline get's lost.
The Storyline of Forbidden Journey begins in the queue. Dumbledore has allowed muggles to tour the wizarding world and Hogwarts. Instead of siting through a boring lecture, Harry, Ron, and Hermione agree to take you to the Quidditch pitch on a magical bench Hermione has developed. You head out with Harry Ron and Hermione to the room of requirements (load platform) to board your magical bench. The first flying scene is you leaving Hogwarts castle on the way to the Quidditch pitch. On the way you pass Hagrid who warns you about a dragon on the loose. The Dragon sends your bench off course into the forbidden forest where you meet up with the dragon close up, Aragog and the other Spiders and the Whomping Willow. With the help of Hermione you escape the Forbidden Forest and finally make it to the Quidditch pitch where a match is taking place. Dementors show up and break up the match. You follow Harry where you get up close with the Dementors. Harry summons his patrona to cause the Dementors to flee. You fly back to Hogwarts where you are greeted to a hero welcome.

The Storeline is every bit as good if not better than say Soarin'. But in the middle of the ride, it's tough to catch.

I am pondering the same thing for this fall, OP. But, we have been to diagon alley and the forbidden journey ride and loved it. It was very small and I got sick on the FJ, and I usually don't get sick on any rides. But the castle and stores were great.
However now that we've done that, we are considering going to Universal side only for the new HP section. We don't really care for the other attractions at IOA side, just a personal preference. However, we love the Minions, the Mummy, Men in black, etc on the other side along with HP Gringotts attraction. So, for us, we will probably just get a one day ticket for Universal side with out park hopping on the train because we can skip that when we aren't interested in DA or other attractions there. Hope that helps.

I absolutely LOVE both areas of Harry Potter. LOVE them. So well done.

The main attraction rides on the other hand were underwhelming for me... the train, Forbidden Journey, Gringots, etc.... I feel they all could have been better.

Potentially, the problem isn't that the ride doesn't have any story. But, that there is so much going on that the storyline get's lost.
Yes, I would have done better to say that the story transfers poorly from the queue to the ride portion. Hence the ride *feels like* there's no story.

Were the ride twice as long with the same content, it would likely have been much better. But that's not really practical. (Of course, I will admit that the "action scenes" were never my favorite parts of the books to begin with, and that's essentially what Forbidden Journey is all about, so I may have never become a big fan no matter what.)

Describing it like that reminds me of Snow White and Pinocchio rides, LOL. Wow are/were those rides awful.

But...I miss a lot on FJ because my hearing is all messed up, so it ends up being mostly visual for me. DS tells me there are lots of things being said; I just can't understand any of it.

I have been kicking around the idea of doing universal to start our 7 day stay this December for 2 days but just checked ticket prices and they are higher than WDW, i had no idea. We are big HP fans and would need the park hopper so 2 of us tickets would run 500 bucks...add on to that i already got a 7 day ticket at WDW so about the $60 more than 5 day would be wasted.
maybe next time.

I have been kicking around the idea of doing universal to start our 7 day stay this December for 2 days but just checked ticket prices and they are higher than WDW, i had no idea. We are big HP fans and would need the park hopper so 2 of us tickets would run 500 bucks...add on to that i already got a 7 day ticket at WDW so about the $60 more than 5 day would be wasted.
maybe next time.
Comparing apples to apples, the 1 day/1 park ticket is between the Magic Kingdom 1 day price and the other 3 Disney Parks 1 day prices. On every other ticket Universal comes out cheaper.
Code:
          Disney    Universal
1 day      $97/105   $102
2 day         $192     $150
3 day         $275     $160
4 day         $305     $170

1 day PH    $155     $147
2 day PH    $242     $195
3 day PH    $325     $205
4 day PH    $369     $215

Ann. Pass   $654     $295

Universal also has a Power Pass with blackout dates open to anyone for $216. The reason why Universal feels more expensive is because your spending fewer days there and because of the closeness of the park and Hogwarts Express, you are more likely to get Park Hopping passing at Universal.

Yes, plus we would want the line skipping option, and we would need transportation to universal. We will just incorporate it into our next family trip in 2017. Tack a few days onto a disney trip rather than subtract from one, and stay on site there to get the free fastpasses. Besides, the kids arenbig HP fans as well.

My first day wasn't that great except for riding the Harry Potter train and seeing Diagon Alley. Second day was fantastic. Third day I was debating what sort of ticket to get for our return trip in October.

Hopefully you decided to upgrade your tickets to to some sort of annual pass. For the benefit of everyone else. If your first visit is during a blackout period, you can buy regular tickets and upgrade to a Power Pass on the last day after you are done entering the parks for the day. The price to upgrade your 3 day ticket to a Power pass would have been minimal.

Hopefully you decided to upgrade your tickets to to some sort of annual pass. For the benefit of everyone else. If your first visit is during a blackout period, you can buy regular tickets and upgrade to a Power Pass on the last day after you are done entering the parks for the day. The price to upgrade your 3 day ticket to a Power pass would have been minimal.
No, unfortunately I was an idiot and didn't think fast enough. We were spending our next week at Disney (checked into the Boardwalk hours after leaving Universal). I already had an AP for Disney and neither of us are keen on how Universal celebrates Halloween. That scary bloodthirsty HHN people love terrifies and repulses us. SO we weren't thinking we'd go back in October when we return to Orlando. But we definitely wanted to come back for Mardi Gras next spring.

Two days in Disney and I spent my entire time wishing I was in Universal instead. Pretty much everything Disney did was wrong, boring or just annoying. We went to EPCOT both days for Flower & Garden, a festival that is not nearly as lavish as Food & Wine. Disney FP+ system annoyed the heck out of me as did their DAS program vs Universal's AAP program. Our BWV room was tiny and ill-equipped compared to our lavish Marriott resort where we'd been for 2 weeks. I was miserable.

Now I realize we will go back to Universal this October, just not for HHN. I'll sign up for our APs then. I know, I need to pay for parking and get anther day pass to get it started.

Funny how the two parks compare. Makes you realize just what Disney is doing wrong these days. All that money they poured in MyMagic and the FantasyLand expansion while Universal poured it into transforming two old parks and updating more rides.

My future trips will include more park and resort days elsewhere (we already have APs for SeaWorld/Busch Gardens) and less at Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter