Will I miss anything by skipping Hogsmeade?

comcastlover33

Mouseketeer
As a huge Harry Potter fan, Iam planning on spending a few hours at Universal just for WWOHP. However, Iam not very interested in the Hogsmeade portion of WWOHP, and would like to save a few bucks by going for the single park ticket. Diagon Alley just looks absolutely stellar though.

I'm not mesaboy2, but I did think the Hogwarts Express was "special". The effects in the stations and on the train are amazing.

Also, we enjoyed Diagon Alley very much. As you say, the theming is incredible, the shops are so much fun, and Escape from Gringotts is a great attraction. But I still think Forbidden Journey (in Hogsmeade) is the best theme park attraction anywhere.

So if you can possibly afford it, I highly recommend going with the 2-park pass.

Thank you for the information, did you personally find the Hogwarts Express ride anything special?

It's pretty cool, but I don't want to oversell it. During the ride the windows reflect the travel between London and Hogsmeade (and vice-versa), and some familiar characters show up along the way. There's also an effect or two outside the cabin in the hallway that are okay also. I think watching the train pull into the station while you are waiting to board is just as impressive as the ride itself. So, my answer is it's pretty cool, but not blow-you-away cool. Reasonable people may disagree.

I've yet to see Diagon Alley (I will soon!) but I LOVED Hogsmeade.

The Forbidden Journey ride was FANTASTIC and it was a wonderful experience to walk through Hogwarts (the queue for Forbidden Journey). I've read several recent trip reports that state that although the new Gringotts ride is great, they think FJ is the superior ride.

I also really enjoyed the sights walking though the queues for Flight of the Hippogriff (Hagrid's hut) and Dragon Challenge (tons of fun things from the Triwizard Tournament in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire). Hogsmeade itself is also fun - and I believe Moaning Myrtle only speaks in the Hogsmeade bathrooms. I also really enjoyed Honeydukes and the Three Broomsticks (which has similar, but not identical, items than are found at the Leaky Cauldron).

Good luck in your decision, but I hope you'll consider giving Hogsmeade a try!

Last edited:

As a huge Harry Potter fan, Iam planning on spending a few hours at Universal just for WWOHP. However, Iam not very interested in the Hogsmeade portion of WWOHP, and would like to save a few bucks by going for the single park ticket. Diagon Alley just looks absolutely stellar though.
The Forbidden Journey ride is better than Gringott's and the Hogwart's Express has really neat effects.

As a big HP fan, I think you will be disappointed if you didn't go to Hogsmeade, at least to see Honeydukes and ride Forbidden Journey. Gringotts is fun, but I felt gipped every time I waited in line, because the ride is/seems really short. Diagon Alley is really cool, especially at night. If you can see them at night, do so. We missed seeing Hogsmeade at night, and I am regretting it.

Just visited Universal in November for the first time. Diagon Alley is breathtaking. I had seen pictures and videos, but seeing it in person was ... there are just no words. I was in awe. By comparison, Hogsmeade was underwhelming. I am not a Harry Potter fanatic, so take that into account. The train was fine. I guess I can see how a true fan would find lots to love about it. As a "ride", there's nothing to it. Just my 2 cents.

I think if I had seen Hogsmeade first, I might have felt differently. But after seeing Diagon Alley, it just paled in comparison.

Just visited Universal in November for the first time. Diagon Alley is breathtaking. I had seen pictures and videos, but seeing it in person was ... there are just no words. I was in awe. By comparison, Hogsmeade was underwhelming. I am not a Harry Potter fanatic, so take that into account. The train was fine. I guess I can see how a true fan would find lots to love about it. As a "ride", there's nothing to it. Just my 2 cents.

I think if I had seen Hogsmeade first, I might have felt differently. But after seeing Diagon Alley, it just paled in comparison.

I agree the actual Hogshead village is not that great but IMO Hogwarts Castle and Forbidden Journey are not to be missed by any HP fan.

Forbidden Journey is one of the best rides I have ever been on. The queue alone is amazing. (The Sorting Hat !!!)

I should have mentioned this earlier, but I am another who thinks FJ in Hogsmeade is the superior ride. Universal sure makes it tough to decide, and is very business-savvy to have set these lands up the way they have.

Diagon Alley is superior to Hogsmead in every way. But the Forbidden Journey in Hogsmeade is the best ride in the park, and possibly my favorite ride of all time. It is not to be missed. And as for the HE, the "ride" it's self might not be that amazing, but the queue and the station are absolutely necessary, especially if you are only going for Potter. Spend the extra money.

If I could only see 1 of the HP areas, it would have to be Hogsmeade/Hogwarts over DA/Gringotts.

If I could only see 1 of the HP areas, it would have to be Hogsmeade/Hogwarts over DA/Gringotts.
Diagon Alley has pretty much been given the crown for best themed area at any park anywhere so I can't agree with you.I would agree with the others that Forbidden Journey is a bit better than Gringott's but Gringott's is still a very good ride and the Hogwarts express is a must do,my point is that both areas are worth doing and you need to get a 2 park pass.

As a huge Harry Potter fan, Iam planning on spending a few hours at Universal just for WWOHP.

As a huge Harry Potter fan, you should consider more than a "few" hours. A huge Harry Potter fan could spend a few hours in a shop or two. Yes you should see Hogsmeade. Yes you should get the 2-park and ride the Express. And you should see Diagon Alley.

The rest of Universal is really good, too.

It is the park with Rock Cakes. Delicious.

I'll echo the predominant sentiment: if you can afford the 2 park ticket, it's completely worth it for a HP fan. I just looked the cost up and the difference is 40$US, not inconsiderable, but if I were only interested in HP stuff at universal, I can't imagine missing half of the experience (assuming it's in financial reach).

As a huge Harry Potter fan, you should consider more than a "few" hours. A huge Harry Potter fan could spend a few hours in a shop or two. Yes you should see Hogsmeade. Yes you should get the 2-park and ride the Express. And you should see Diagon Alley.

The rest of Universal is really good, too.

I agree with this. Last time I went was before the expansion was open, and we only had a day at Universal. I spent the entire day at WWoHP, and still didn't get to see everything I wanted to see. However, the rest of Universal that I did get to see was also amazing. Eventually I'll have to plan a separate trip back just to spend time at Universal, because it certainly warrants it.

We missed seeing Hogsmeade at night, and I am regretting it.
3ce10.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter