Why purchase BCV over BWV?

if you stay at BCV, you can swim at stormalong bay pool (with authentic sand on the bottom) and no one else can hop to stormalong bay pool. so if you stay at BCV, you can hop to BWV's pool but not vice-versa. BCV has slightly higher demand as a resort.

BCV is also more compact (no long hallways) - and BCV's smaller size means less supply. and supply and demand are what drive pricing.

if you are booking for food and wine (for one example) at 11 months out, you can get BCV as an owner but are unlikely to get BCV if you own elsewhere. BWV's size makes it easier to book at 7 months (in general) if you are willing to pay for preferred view villas.

Authentic sand? as opposed to the synthetic sand at which other resort?

At the time we purchased, there was a $20 difference in price between BWV and BCV. Given that I had great feelings about both resorts, that was enough to break the tie for me. Now that BCV prices have ticked down a bit, I might look at buying there as well....but my last attempt was taken by ROFR.

So we're looking at purchasing either BCV or BWV. Why are prices lower at BWV? Is there a reason why folks choose BCV? Thanks for your input.

-Virginia
There are several factors. Partly (and only partly) it's due to personal preference related to SAB and that it's closer to EPCOT. The other factors include that BWV is a larger resort with more contracts available and the members paid a lower price. I'd venture that the 2 factors are roughly equal or that each accounts for about half the cost difference. BWV has the standard view and BW view options which are a plus for some. Long term expect BCV to decrease slightly faster than BWV but there will likely be some differences in price going forward.

Having stayed at both, they are much more alike than different. The importance of the differences is in the eye of the beholder.

For example, I know some people rave about Stormalong Bay, but I found it "anticipointing". It was a really big pool, with a couple of interesting touches, but not something I would plan my vacation around. Other people swear by it, and would consider their vacation ruined if they could not swim there.

I have stayed at both resorts and prefer the activity of the Boardwalk view rooms, especially at night. If your view is high enough and closer to the Jellyrolls end of the building, you can see the fireworks at both Epcot and the Magic Kingdom all while sipping a glass of wine on your balcony.

Stephen

Having stayed at both, they are much more alike than different. The importance of the differences is in the eye of the beholder.....

From my point of view, having stayed at both, I find them to be very different. Not much alike at all. Probably the only similarity is the room set up and even that is different (but not so different as BLT or AKV or OKW).

From my point of view, having stayed at both, I find them to be very different. Not much alike at all. Probably the only similarity is the room set up and even that is different (but not so different as BLT or AKV or OKW).
While there are some differences, and those are important for some people, to me they are far more alike than different. They do have a different feel but both are close to EPCOT & DHS, both give you access to the activities and restaurants around the lake, the units are similar overall. Now if some of those differences are major for a given family, they could have a major preference for one over other (SAB, SV cost, 2 Q bed, etc). But looked at objectively, they are far more similar than different.

We own at both, and save our BCV points for warm/hot weather vacations. I love to swim in SAB. BWV's lobby is beautiful, especially at Christmas.

We prefer BWV for a variety of reasons.

As for decor, the two resorts are both extremely pretty. The BWV is a louder elegance (think glam or gawdy). I don't mean that in a bad sort of way. Its just the best way to describe it. I like it and feel that the over the top elegance adds energy. For me, Boardwalk fits my personality. For my ultra conservative (not talking politics) sister, Beach Club is the way to go. She understands that the understated elegance is much more elegant. She's probably right...but I have more fun!

As for park access, Beach Club is closer...but...if you don't get around very well...BWV is a better deal. It is much closer to get from the Boardwalk lobby to the boat dock then it is to get from BC Villas to where the boat docks at Epcot. This doesn't mean a lot to people who are able bodied. But if you are like me and are able bodied in the real world and slightly disabled when it comes to walking 8 miles a day...you appreciate that boat.

Parking is better at BCV. Hubby's idea of driving at WDW is putting his car keys in the safe when he gets to the room. For us, parking isn't much of an issue.

As for swimming, we don't swim.
As for a view...wow!! BW View is awesome. We stayed at BCV once...view...umm...awful. Standard views at BWV is better than the view at BCV.

Points!! Yes!! We have stayed with a standard view, and yes it makes a difference!! Since we have 100 points, being able to use standard points has allowed us to go on more trips than we would have gone on otherwise.

I purchased BWV instead of bcv because of the cheaper resale price, at the time there was about a $20+ dollar difference and the excellent point cost of a standard view room.

<------hey, i got tag-fairy-ed. fun!

sorry, i just noticed my tags...carry on with the thread...

Trivia: That's not authentic sand, it's ground-up granite. (I think I once heard it's from Stone Mountain in Georgia.)

i thought all sand was ground up rocks...:upsidedow

well, now i'm totally bummed about the man-made sand at BCV...

( :) )

Authentic sand? as opposed to the synthetic sand at which other resort?

The last time that we used Storm-A-Long Bay pool, I noticed that the sand was actually silicon dioxide with a small amount of calcium carbonate.

:earsboy: Bill

When we did the tour 2 weeks ago, and when we watched the official DVC dvd, it says that sand comes from Arizona.

While we love Stormalong Bay, we liked the lower priced resales, we didn't mind the long hallways as someone compared it to AKV's long walk. Only other con I heard was the parking, which I can live with. BWV is someplace we could stay every time we visit, especially if we have the points.

Anyway, just as an update. We did decide to go forth on a BWV resale, we're in the contract signing phase, then onto ROFR. Hopefully I'll have good news in a month. Fingers crossed. Thanks for your comments and this board.

-Virginia

mommyarewegoingback said:
When we did the tour 2 weeks ago, and when we watched the official DVC dvd, it says that sand comes from Arizona.

While we love Stormalong Bay, we liked the lower priced resales, we didn't mind the long hallways as someone compared it to AKV's long walk. Only other con I heard was the parking, which I can live with. BWV is someplace we could stay every time we visit, especially if we have the points.

Anyway, just as an update. We did decide to go forth on a BWV resale, we're in the contract signing phase, then onto ROFR. Hopefully I'll have good news in a month. Fingers crossed. Thanks for your comments and this board.

-Virginia

Good luck on ROFR. Hope that we will be neighbors soon. I am posting this from our BW view balcony. We have stayed here at least 35 times in the last 13 years and still love it every time.

We own both and OKW. BCV & BWV are similar but we use them in different ways. When at BCV we swim, have a spa day, spend time in Crews Cup (we like it better then the BW lounge), walk to EPCOT for a dinner and Illuminations. When at BWV, we do some of the same things but mostly go to the parks. We always get a Bw view and hearing the boat horns is our welcome home. We plan more relaxation at BCV. OKW is a mix between doing parks and relaxation and the rooms there aren't narrow boxes like at the BWV & BCV with smallish living rooms & dining areas (1br's or bigger.) Unless you do BWV GV's.

I have only stayed at boardwalk of the two; we LOVE BWV. My husband loves Boardwalk's proximity to all the bars/club etc, whereas Beach Club people would take the boat over (it's a long walk around the lake) and he hates boats. In spring, we're staying at Beach Club for the first time, and specifically for their pool. If we (I, hahaha) love it, I'll keep an eye on availability and might buy into there as our next contract. It was BWV all the way, but we'll see.

AllieV said:
I have only stayed at boardwalk of the two; we LOVE BWV. My husband loves Boardwalk's proximity to all the bars/club etc, whereas Beach Club people would take the boat over (it's a long walk around the lake) and he hates boats.

I did not find the walk bad at all. Usually quicker than hanging around waiting for a boat.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos or autocorrects!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter