Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip? Link to New TR 6/24 p136!

a50b5a3e.jpg

Such a great view of the resort and I wish I had gone back there with my camera.

Very nice! Even with the cell phone camera.

You can prepurchase tickets, but we didn't because the tour company also offers many combo ticket. The internet advertises a trolley rate of $26 with the online rate being about $2.50 cheaper. However, when we arrived the rate was suddenly $28 despite the fact that the trolley still had a sign saying $26.

:furious:

Where Paula Deen is quite the celeb

Mmmmm...butter...

And that was all the pictures I got before getting nailed for taking pictures. I did not see a No photography sign, but I really wasn't looking for it either.

I think I would have been tempted to respond with, "Are you sure about that? I mean, my kid could paint that." :rotfl2:

Oh, but not without a gift shot visit. I actually asked if I could take ONE picture in there. And the lady behind the counter begrudgingly told me "just one".

IMG_9766.jpg

See anything there that you might want to copy and profit from? I didn't think so.

Well, those glasses ARE pretty unique. And I've never seen a picture of a fly before. :rolleyes:

I snagged a cell phone pic.

I just couldn't help it.

You are such a rebel.

Great update! Savannah looks beautiful! I love that bridge, it looks a lot like the one in Boston!

Can't wait to see the rest of your pics!:cool1:

Thanks Jen. Savannah was a really cool town. Wait till you see the rest of the pictures - you'll see what I mean soon.

The bridge near my house is somewhat similar to that but the suspension part is actually in the center of the bridge.

You have totally sold us on HHI and now Savannah too!!
Great pictures - including the one with YOU in it!!! I know how rare those are!!

You will LOVE it!!!!! The whole area - HHI, Savannah, and Charleston are different from any place I have ever been before.

Yes - my picture is rare, but I promise more pics in December! :thumbsup2

I've got to go to Savannah! So far this looks like the spot for us. I take my time in museums & old houses. I don't think that I would care for the first one that you went to as I hate modern art. I think that most of it is like the emporer's new clothes!.

The first one was mostly modern art, but some of the stuff was cool. I just don't have the picture to prove it. I, too, love to tour old houses. They are so enchanting.

Why was the house draped in mourning? Do they keep it this way all the time?
Curious minds want to know!:yay:

The person who toured us never mentioned it, and I didn't even realize it until you just said something. Maybe I can google it.

Beautiful Savannah pics!!! You really have me thinking about hhi!!!

It's really a great option if you need Disney, but a break from the theme parks. And Savannah was pretty cool. Very different!

It's too bad you felt rushed in the museums! I bet there was a lot of cool things to see!!!!

I did enjoy the museums and actually wished that we got an earlier start, but....oh well!

Congrats on making your goal on staying at all the East Coast DVC Resorts! :banana:

Well, I still have till June to reach that goal, but it is now officially in sight! :goodvibes

Great Savannah pics, sorry you felt rushed in the museums

Stay tuned for more pictures. I just finished editing them and I think the best are yet to come! ;)

Savannah....my dream destination! I love Paula Deen and when she has had shows where she is going around Savannah I just thought it was everything I thought the old south would be. I would love to go to her restaurant too!

They actually offer a Paula Deen trolley tour where all the narration is about her life. They don't go to her restaurant. Rather, they go to her son's restaurant and serve lunch there. I never did quite figure out where her restaurant is, but I know you have to line up in the morning to get a seating time. Savannah was a very, very cool city. Loved it.

Great pictures Mary Ellen and it sounds like you're having a heck of a trip:thumbsup2

It was a great trip. Glad you like the pics!

Great first update!! Looking forward to more of Savannah! What a cool trio trip you 3 planned!

We definitely saw some interesting sights in Savannah, so stay tuned for the rest of the savannah update. I just finished editing all my savannah pics!!!!!

Savannah looks so nice, I'm glad you guys had a nice time there!

We really had a great time there. So much to see and do and not nearly enough time to do it all. Stay tuned for more.

I still think you should have gotten the Girl Scout special though! Think of what they could do with a Thin Mint!! :laughing:
:rotfl2: Haha - good one! I guess we should have at least asked what it was. :laughing:

Nice pictures of Savannah MEK. Bummer that you couldn't take pictures in that art museum, but I'm glad for the ones you got, they're really cool. We have the Brandywine River Museum up here near me, with lots of Wyeth art in it and it kills me to not be allowed to take pictures of them.

I understand why you can't take pics, but it just kills me because I am so spoiled from taking all the pics I want in Disney.

I didn't realize you lived that close to the Brandywine River Museum, because its actually not the far from me (but probably in the opposite direction). Are we closer neighbors than I thought?????

I promise to finish replies tomorrow. I've gotten into this bad habit of staying up too late and then I can't get up when my alarm goes off. Going to bed now. Night all!

MaryEllen, your pictures of Savannah are beautiful. That is one place I've always wanted to go to.

By the time you read this, you'll be at 3 weeks or 21 days. :goodvibes

I didn't realize you lived that close to the Brandywine River Museum, because its actually not the far from me (but probably in the opposite direction). Are we closer neighbors than I thought?????

We're not too far....we live in West Grove.

that bridge!!!!!!!!!!!

What a great update, I've always wanted to go to Savannah...and now I still do!

Gas at $3.19? I'd throw a party! I paid $3.509 today and that was a great price for around here.

Savannah looks gorgeous. It's a city we've only ever passed through, but it looks beautiful. There are so many places that I want to visit.

It really was a cool city and have some interesting Savannah pictures coming up that I hope give you a good idea of what the waterfront area is like! :thumbsup2

Love the pics of the Savannah and the mural shot

Isn't that mural cool! I thought I had a better picture, but it probably disappeared in my picture fiasco! :rotfl:

Yay on meeting some nice ladies and taking their picture!

Those ladies were so cute and so fun! How great would that be to do a mother / daughters trip every year! I don't have any sisters, but I sure wish I did!

The museum shots look so pretty - a shame you felt a bit rushed but it just means you'll have to go back! :laughing:

Exactly! When I go back to HHI I will definitely spend another day in Savannah. It's just too cool of a place not to visit again!

This Northern girl is loving your tour of the South :thumbsup2

That's how I feel. I am such a northerner, but there is something so attractive and laid back about the south. It's like another culture and I really want to explore it more.

Loving the pictures and that umbrella is too cute! :)

Was that not the coolest umbrella???? Seriously! Kind of over the top, but so cute!

Savannah is such a beautiful place. You did a great job capturing all you did, even the museum where you got busted :laughing:.

Savannah was wonderful, but they were certainly uptight about picture taking. Same with Charleston. I think those southern cities like to preserve the allure! :rotfl: You know I hated getting busted. :laughing:

I had two fabulous updates to catch up on! :goodvibes

Those sunset pictures on HHI are fabulous! Love how you captured the sun going down AND Spanish moss! Beautiful!

So glad you are caught up! I'm glad you like my sunset pictures. I just absolutely loved the sunsets in the evening. They were spectacular and everything looks better with Spanish moss! ;)

The beach house is very cute -- Disney does know how to decorate!

They really do. I loved the inside of the beach house. Way cute! I bet there is nothing else like that in Hilton Head! So unique!

Okay, that bridge you went over to get into Savannah? Yeah, that's the one I saw in the distance on our way to Tybee that made my heart drop. My heart dropped when I saw it in your pictures and imagined driving over it. :laughing:

That's so funny you said that because P was not thrilled to be driving across that bridge. I don't think she likes driving across bridges period, and that one went straight up. I really didn't notice until I looked up to take the picture. I was too busy reading my AAA travel guide. :rotfl:

After I saw her displeasure with bridges, I offered to be the "closer" on the way home and drive across the Bay Bridge in Maryland in the dark. Aren't I a great friend? :rotfl:

Is gas not $3.19 in Maryland? That's about what it has been around here lately. When Charles filled up Friday night, it was $3.17.

Well, Jackie, you ARE up on your gas prices. Gas here in Delaware is about $3.27 now, but when I was picking Brian up in Maryland the other night I found a gas station with $3.19 gas. Might have to fill up there when I take him back on Sunday. ;) When I saw that gas station in Georgia that was the cheapest gas I've seen in forever. Gas around Philadelphia is like $3.60. Such a big difference.

$3.17 :faint:

Gorgeous pictures of Savannah, but what a shame you felt rushed at the museums. :(

I have some more really cool pics of Savannah, so stick around!!!!!

Very nice! Even with the cell phone camera.

I love that view of the resort. You can really only see that view if you head out to the main road. You totally miss it when you are actually in the resort comples.

I just felt like they were obviously jacking up the prices because it was a high tourist time. There were tourists everywhere. I guess the nice weather makes October a great time to visit.

Mmmmm...butter...
:rotfl2:

I think I would have been tempted to respond with, "Are you sure about that? I mean, my kid could paint that." :rotfl2:

The whole museum thing was weird. They have employees that are rather inconspicuous, but they suddenly appear as soon as they see you go into a room and then they basically stalk you. It's weird. I didn't care for it, but I still enjoyed the photography and wish I could have snagged even one picture.

Well, those glasses ARE pretty unique. And I've never seen a picture of a fly before. :rolleyes:

Seriously? Right? I'm going right out to copy that stuff and sell it on the internet. :laughing:

You are such a rebel.

Yes - that's me....Rebel WITH a cause - to get it on the DIS boards.

MaryEllen, your pictures of Savannah are beautiful. That is one place I've always wanted to go to.

If you ever get a chance, do it! Those southern cities are really so unique. I loved them and, even though I wanted to take my friends to Disney World, I am so glad we went here instead.

By the time you read this, you'll be at 3 weeks or 21 days. :goodvibes

20 days now! :cool1: This trip is coming up way too fast! Never thought I'd say that! :laughing:

We're not too far....we live in West Grove.

You ARE closer than I thought. For some reason I thought you were somewhere up off the blue route! West Grove is such a pretty area and you are lucky to be so close to Lancaster. I love that area of PA.

that bridge!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah - P was having a mini panic attack crossing the bridge, but she did much better on the way home. :rotfl:

What a great update, I've always wanted to go to Savannah...and now I still do!

If you can ever work it into one of your East coast vacations, do it! It's very cool. Someone told me to read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil and I am now. It's really a good book to read before Savannah. Sorry I didn't read it before I went, but I'm enjoying it now.

Gas at $3.19? I'd throw a party! I paid $3.509 today and that was a great price for around here.

That's what it is up in Philly, but I just found a gas station in Salisbury that was $3.19. I am filling up there when I take Brian back on Sunday.

So - I was going to do an update this morning, but I still have to shop for everything Thanksgiving. Nothing like waiting till the last minute, that's what I always say. Denny and I are going to head out early, divide, and conquer.

I am still hoping for an update later this evening!

Happy
Thanksgiving Everyone!!!!!!!!

All caught up! I'm enjoying your HHI pictures. Sorry you were feeling rushed in the museums.

Yay for BWV!! Here's a sneak peek at the view from our standard view 1BR a couple weeks ago. I requested an upper floor, across from the bus stop:

6f2cfa83.jpg

23752c58.jpg

Not the best pictures - they're phone pictures - I'm not sure why I didn't grab my camera - maybe I thought I'd take pictures another night. :confused3 I think the finale snuck up on me so I didn't get any pictures of the best part. But you get the idea. :thumbsup2

Happy Thanksgiving to you, too, Mary Ellen! I hope you, Denny, and your boys have a great holiday!

Same to you Jackie! Knowing you, you are cooking up a storm and have your house decorated perfectly.

All caught up! I'm enjoying your HHI pictures. Sorry you were feeling rushed in the museums.

Yay for BWV!! Here's a sneak peek at the view from our standard view 1BR a couple weeks ago. I requested an upper floor, across from the bus stop:

6f2cfa83.jpg

23752c58.jpg

Not the best pictures - they're phone pictures - I'm not sure why I didn't grab my camera - maybe I thought I'd take pictures another night. :confused3 I think the finale snuck up on me so I didn't get any pictures of the best part. But you get the idea. :thumbsup2

Amy - thank you so much for posting those pictures. That's a wonderful view. I did request to be on the top floor, but I didn't know about requesting to be across from the bus stop. I like the view of the front of the resort. It's neat and I sure would love to see fireworks from the balcony. Can't beat that!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and the family, MaryEllen.

poohthanksgiving.gif

Thanks Kathy. Same to you and the family! I love Pooh and Piglet! Cute!

Wow on the gas prices! It was $3.09 around here for the last week. Until today, of course, when I was going to stop! Now it's $3.25.

I hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving Mary Ellen!!

I debated for a bit as to whether to write about my December trip plans or whether to continue to Savannah.....and Savannah won. At least this update!

So, we left off at the Owens- Thomas House. Our tour didn't start until 1pm. We were first herded into an outbuilding which I think was the slaves quarters and kitchen. The slaves painted the ceiling with haint blue paint. The paint was intended to ward off evil spirits and ghosts.

Did I already mention that Savannah has the privileged distinction of being the most haunted city in the whole US. Back in the day Savannah was one crazy party town and the resulted in a lot of murders and mishap. Many of those spirits are still alive and well in Savannah.

Here is an interesting little article about Savannah's ghosts

http://www.findingdulcinea.com/features/feature-articles/2008/october/Haunted-Savannah.html

Our tour guide was a young lady who seemed just a tad snooty in addition to needing a What not to Wear makeover. I wasn't allowed to take a picture of her, so you will just have to take my word for it. After she spent 10 minutes going over a exhaustive list of rules of all the things we couldn't do, we departed.

I believe the OT house was built in the English Regency architecture style, but I could be wrong.

Here's the web site with the background story
http://telfair.org/visit/owens-thomas-house/overview/

One of the cool features of this house was the rounded walls in the dining room. Apparently, this was a common architectural feature for the wealthy. Another unique feature of this house was that it had indoor plumping way before its time. I remember that the light fixtures and crown molding were quite interesting and they had a wonderful collection of canton china.

When we were done in the dining room I asked if I could get a better look at the china which was on the far wall. I was also on the end of the rope farthest away from it. When I started walking in that general direction I think she thought I was going to walk past the rope and she just about had a stroke. It was actually a little comical. Sheesh - the tour guides and museum people in Savannah take their jobs VERY seriously. She later got quite upset with a lady who accidently leaned against a wall. :sad2:

I was actually happy when the tour ended because I became increasingly worried I might accidently bump into something or break something. So once I was outside I breathed a big sigh of relief.

We were allowed to take pictures in the courtyard.....

IMG_9795.jpg

IMG_9797.jpg

IMG_9801.jpg

IMG_9802.jpg

IMG_9803.jpg

IMG_9804.jpg

IMG_9807.jpg

IMG_9808.jpg

IMG_9812.jpg

Here is a plaque which describes Tabby, a material that was used for building in Savannah

IMG_9816.jpg

Here are some pictures I took in the gift shop before the tour started.

IMG_9794.jpg

And no one yelled at me for taking them.

Here is a picture of the Bird Girl

IMG_9793.jpg

This statue was actually on display at the second telfair museum, but it was heavily watched so there was no chance of a cell phone pic. Instead, I bought the post car. Apparently the family allowed the statue to be placed on loan at the museum because it was being vandalized.

Here is some history about the Bird Girl.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird_Girl

Here are some sweet grass baskets for sale. Jackie was right when she said they are quite expensive.

IMG_9792.jpg

I was starving by the time we finished the tour. Like, feeling sick, starving. I had wanted to see the Saint John the Baptist Cathedral, but told the ladies we could just skip it and catch the trolley for some lunch. They convinced me to go see the cathedral, so I decided to stay hungry for a little while longer.

We had to walk through a cemetery to get there.

IMG_9822.jpg

This cemetery is called Colonial Park. It has quite a history.

http://www.asylumeclectica.com/asylum/sightseer/us/ga/savannah/colonial.htm

IMG_9824.jpg

IMG_9823.jpg

IMG_9825.jpg

IMG_9826.jpg

IMG_9827.jpg

IMG_9829.jpg

IMG_9830.jpg

IMG_9832.jpg

IMG_9834.jpg

I have a thing about cemeteries. I think they are pretty cool, so despite the fact that I was really hungry, I was glad we made our way over to the cathedral.

The cathedral in the background

IMG_9828.jpg

Continued........

Continued......

Getting closer

IMG_9835.jpg

The Cathedral of Saint John the Baptist

IMG_9839.jpg

IMG_9841.jpg

IMG_9842.jpg

I backed up as far as I could but I still couldn't get the whole cathedral in the picture.

IMG_9846.jpg

IMG_9844.jpg

IMG_9836.jpg

IMG_9847.jpg

IMG_9848.jpg

The cathedral was open to the public, which I just think its fabulous because it was absolutely gorgeous.

IMG_9851.jpg

Breathtaking, really

IMG_9852.jpg

IMG_9855.jpg

IMG_9856.jpg

IMG_9857.jpg

IMG_9861.jpg

IMG_9862.jpg

IMG_9863.jpg

IMG_9864.jpg

The parish had several volunteers inside the church. I started talking to an older gentleman who told me the whole cathedral was refurbished in 199-2000. The bishop actually says mass there on Sundays and there is not a seat to be had. I have no idea where people park, but wow. I would love to go to church there, just once.

Look at the detail in the stations of the cross.

IMG_9869.jpg

The new bishop was just installed that year

IMG_9871.jpg

I am so glad the P & L convinced me to see the cathedral. There was a trolley stop right outside of the cathedral. How convenient.

Next stop - The River front!

IMG_9873.jpg

Our first order of business was to find a restaurant.

Here we go - The Cotton Exchange Tavern

IMG_9877.jpg

IMG_9888.jpg

70's chic

IMG_9879.jpg

I actually thought this place was pretty cool but my indoor pics did not come out that well

IMG_9880.jpg

Continued.......

Continued....

IMG_9884.jpg

Our trolly map had coupons for a free drink, so we each inhaled an adult beverage. Don't remember what we had, but I know I drank it fast.

Lunch....

Crab Bisque

IMG_9882.jpg

French Onion soup

IMG_9883.jpg

Shrimp salad sandwich for L

IMG_9886.jpg

Crab cake sandwich for P

IMG_9887.jpg

And I had the fried green tomato BLT with sweet potato fries

IMG_9885.jpg

I figured since we were in the south and my chance of getting fried green tomatoes in Delaware is slim to none, I should give it a try. And it was quite good. So was the crab bisque!

After lunch (and it was a late lunch - probably 2:30pm) we set out to explore the Riverfront. And what did we see first.....

IMG_9890.jpg

Seriously????? I just fell in love with Savannah and all its quirkiness. Never in my life have I seen a flutist on the street. And he wasn't half bad. He could tell I was staring at him so he struck up a conversation. I told him I also played the flute and he told me "keep it up".

More waterfront sights

IMG_9893.jpg

IMG_9895.jpg

IMG_9896.jpg

IMG_9911.jpg

Oh Yeah - Here's something you see everyday!

IMG_9899.jpg

IMG_9901.jpg

IMG_9904.jpg

I think this gentleman was singing

IMG_9907.jpg

IMG_9908.jpg

Here are some of the buildings

IMG_9909.jpg

IMG_9905.jpg

IMG_9898.jpg

IMG_9891.jpg

IMG_9914.jpg

We did stop in here for a post lunch treat. The ladies got chocolate and I got gelato

IMG_9875.jpg

IMG_9874.jpg

IMG_9922.jpg

A directory is always nice.

IMG_9917.jpg

Continued ............

Continued.......

More Riverfront

IMG_9912.jpg

This is MY kind of place

IMG_9920.jpg

One thing I didn't mention yet. In Savannah you can get a "to go" alcoholic drink anytime, anywhere! You gotta love that!

IMG_9925.jpg

This looks like a cool place to stay

IMG_9926.jpg

IMG_9928.jpg

WWII Memorial

IMG_9929.jpg

IMG_9930.jpg

IMG_9931.jpg

IMG_9932.jpg

IMG_9933.jpg

IMG_9935.jpg

IMG_9940.jpg

Our Next stop was.....

IMG_9942.jpg

This place is supposed to be the most haunted building in the most haunted city in the US. Bring on the spirits!!!!!!!

It was decorated for Halloween

IMG_9943.jpg

My beer. It was something Wicked Ale (I've got to check my notes)

IMG_9945.jpg

It was good!

I took a bunch of pictures inside hoping I would get an orb or something. But I got nothing, nada, zilch

IMG_9953.jpg

Yup this is about as close to a spirit as I got.

IMG_9954.jpg

And that string thing on the ceiling, which looks like a possible orb, was actually there all along. Oh well.

Now here's the thing about the trolley, if you ever decide to ride one. The last trolley pick up is about 4:30 pm, so we had to walk back to the car. Not a bad walk and it gave us time to see a few more sights.

IMG_9959.jpg

IMG_9958.jpg

IMG_9960.jpg

Last Stop....The City Market

IMG_9965.jpg

IMG_9963.jpg

This place was pretty cool. It was a street closed off to traffic with various shops and restaurants.

IMG_9962.jpg

IMG_9961.jpg

I stopped in a wine store where you actually had to pay to taste the wines. All I wanted was to try the plum wine because I wanted to buy a bottle for Denny. He used to make plum wine. But I couldn't get anyone's attention just to see if I could taste it. So I left.

I think we were all tired and ready to get back to the car. We managed to get there right before sunset, which was good.

The drive back to HHI was uneventful. It was a great day. I loved Savannah. I love how everything in Savannah is restored. I absolutely love old buildings. They have so much character.

I loved the eclectic, carefree nature of Savannah. I bet that town is a blast on NY Eve or any other major holiday. What's not to like about a town where you can walk around with booze?

Up Next......December Trip Plans and Day 2 at HHI and guess who goes kayaking?

WOW you girls hit a lot of sights!!

I have always wanted to try Fried Green Tomatoes, especially because I LOVE the movie Fried Green Tomatoes. The soups look awesome, although being from Maryland, the crab cake doesn't look so Maryland style to me! Looks like a GREAT lunch spot though! :thumbsup2

Wow! Your pictures of Savannah are amazing! it looks beautiful! I especially love the cathedral!!!

Have a fabulous Thanksgiving!

Another wonderful day - this time in Savannah.
Booze in the streets - :thumbsup2 unless it is Bourbon street. That place was so narrow that you could not help bumping into "things" and such.

I guess my closet claustrophobia was getting to me, because I felt the Mardi Gras would be nuts.

I hear Savannah has a "rep" for St Patricks Day. :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter