Why does DCL have us congregate inside the theater instead of outside by the lifeboats?

I think if you need further information than what is commonly shared during the drill, perhaps you should contact DCL directly for official clarification.

Anyone want to start a poll on how many answers the DCL call centre give on that one!
I really think speaking to an officer on the ship is the best way forward for Amber and will provide just the right amount of ACCURATE information relevant to the ship, and it could be a great chance both parties to have a discussion.
I'm sure they will appreciate her diligence.

Goodness, I am not asking for every possible scenario. Simply, if I can't get here, where do we go next. How is that asking for every possible scenario. Because I want to be prepared, that means I need to lighten up? Sorry, but by being prepared, and knowing my family is prepared, that is what actually helps us to "lighten up".
I get what you're saying. But it's kinda impossible to list out every alternative muster point if yours isn't accessible. The new muster point would depend upon what areas of the ship are not okay and which are. So you'd have to literally have a whole list of what-ifs. As I'm sure you know from experience, the next step does rely on competent, knowledgable people thinking on their feet. There's a chain of command, procedure, etc. to make those calls. Know your group ID letter. There will be further info if necessary. Just listen and don't panic.

Oh my, and think from your experience if everyone knew every alternative. In those stressful moments the average human doesn't respond the way you would. Would they rember what's first? Or would they be confused...then chaos? I imagine when dealing with civilians it's best to keep it simple: Go here. This is your group letter. Listen for instruction. Under massive stress I know from experience that simplicity is key because average humans can only grasp little bits. ;)

I know for me, sometimes, it's frustrating knowing what I know (having worked in emergency/disaster response & management) and imagining the what-ifs. One thing I do know is chaos is deadly. People not listening only makes things worse. So I know to take the little things seriously. Listen carefully. Follow instruction. Be orderly. In the end I gotta have faith. All will be okay.

Last edited:
I love how you all just jump on my case assuming I am this idiot that wanders around the ship clueless. Don't you think, being that I have actually planned evacuations for THOUSANDS of people in case of the "what if" scenarios, that I would still go to the muster stations. In additiona to actually having had to evacuate (not just planned) thousands during air raid attacks while in Baghdad that I have actually BTDT unlike probably ALL of you on here, being evacuated and actually being one to evacuate are totally different. If you look at fire escape maps. All will show the route to the nearest emergency exit. Some will show alternate routes. My point is what is the alternate route? Yes, it is simple. In the case of the muster station not being accessible, report to Buene Vista Theatre (or whatever location, just used that as an example). Sure they are trained, but I am asking about routes, etc. if I show up with hundreds of panicked people screaming, and running all over, do you think I want to stick around trying to hear over the people and not understand what he is saying? Or perhaps, if we know the alternate plan and he simply says go to Plan B or Go to Buene Vista Theatre. Then I don't have to await further instruction or look clueless or insist I go to my muster station despite the fact that it's a one way crowd heading away from the muster station, we will have already prepared by practicing the route several times.
I clearly stated we would go to the muster station in the event of an emergency. But you can't sit there and tell me that with the alarms going off, people screaming, people running around like crazy, that you are going to hear the CMs telling you where to go and that they will have small groups calmly going where they are asked to go. If you do believe that, then I suggest you go through an actual emergency where lives are on the line and it's not just a drill. I have had experience in this, so yes, I can say that with that experience, a plan B for generic relocation is not a hard or complex thing to tell passengers. Do they not do that on airplanes? In the event of a water landing, use seat bottom, in the event of a fire, use extinguisher, follow the arrows to the nearest exit, if exit is blocked, go to a different exit.
So asking them a simple question of if this location is blocked, where is the next location we should meet. Not that I would go to that one first, I am not an idiot. In every evacuation plan, you have the initial "muster station" that everyone should meet at. If that station is blocked, and the passageways are blocked with hundreds of people going the opposite direction because maybe they heard where to go, but because it's so crowded, I can't get close enough to hear where that location is, then I will automatically assume that my muster station group is going to the alternative location. Not just running around panicked.
I prepare for worst case scenarios, that has been my training and I have trained and implemented such training onto others as well. I do not think it's a very complicated to answer, if this place is on fire, where is the alternate location. I want to practice this as a family, I want my family to know the routes, we are the family that walks the emergency escape routes several times to where if I told my kid we had to evacuate, they would show me where to go. We are the family that actually tries on the life jackets and makes sure that they fit. I refuse to be a blind panicked sheep going to a muster station because that's just what we're supposed to do. I want to understand the dynamics, what alternate scenarios they have in place. Because I want to know ahead of time, that makes me a danger, no, sorry, that makes me informed.

Absolutely! My husband is a veteran, having served in the Air Force including in Desert Storm so I understand what you are saying. This is precisely my point. I have never been the type of person who blindly follows the crowd and does what Im told, just because "they" should know better than me. For example, in 9/11 I'm sure you are all familiar with the people who were told over the loud speakers to stay in their offices and that they would be safe if they stayed where they were. Well, the ones who didnt listen and started running down the stairs, lived. The ones who listened, didnt. im not saying DCL doesnt know what they are doing. Im just saying that I like to question it and analyze and not follow it blindly. I like to know the reasoning of their decisions and like the poster here said, to know what plan B is.

Goodness, I am not asking for every possible scenario. Simply, if I can't get here, where do we go next. How is that asking for every possible scenario. Because I want to be prepared, that means I need to lighten up? Sorry, but by being prepared, and knowing my family is prepared, that is what actually helps us to "lighten up".

I understand that. I'm a planner so I want to know those kinds of things too.

But I think as one of the PP's said earlier, I don't think the CMs know what plan B is for sure until it happens. Maybe the usual Plan B ends up as unusable for the same circumstances that rendered the muster station unusable. So Plan C becomes Plan B, etc. So they really can't provide a specific Plan B to the guests because Plan B can be different for different situations. Also, I do think some people will forget (in an emergency) that Plan A is their Muster Station and only remember the Plan B because that was the last thing they heard.

So I understand why it is better to only give guests Plan A, until such a time as Plan B becomes necessary.

I think what people are trying to convey is that the "Alternate route" may change due to the circumstances of the emergency so knowing it ahead of time may not be of any value. At least that is how I see it.

MJ

Exactly. There could be any number of alternate routes, possibly even using more than one at a time (x number of people go towards alternate route A, y number of people go towards alternate route B, z number of people go towards alternate route C). There are too many scenarios for them to present at Muster, so they give you the basics. For 99.9% of us THAT is enough.

If you are one of the 0.1% who needs more, I agree with finding the OFFICER (not the ones who do the talking, the OFFICER) and asking them. Pretty sure you will be told that any alternate routes would be dependent on the situation, but it seems someone in white with bars on their uniform would be more believable.

I'll further what @Dug720 suggested, find the officer and ask the procedure & command for the decision-making process. Perhaps knowledge of the existence of policy & procedure to cover evacuation variances would ease the concerns or anxiety.

A post from 2010 regarding the dreams lifeboat capacity

The Dream's lifeboats will have a capacity of 270 people per boat so 4320. Enough for the passengers and a number of crew.
As well as all of this the ship will have sufficient capacity for everyone on board in smaller liferafts which can be deployed automatically in case the excrement really hits the fan too quickly for the regular lifeboats to be used.

As you can see in some youtube videos of the Dream posted today at least some of her life boats were tested in the shipyard's harbour earlier on with no apparent problems (or at least they were all back in place again later).

I hope that all of this helps put your mind at ease, as others have said the best thing to do is just relax and look forward to your cruise... and pay attention to the safety briefing when you get on board.

Now if the ship were to list to one side, there is also a 100% redundancy back up for that 50% of pax that cannot use their side of lifeboats, but in liferafts. And I hope the crew!

Last edited:
If I could just point out... An outside muster station COULD become just as inaccessible as an interior muster station. I don't see people freaking out about that - but I would hope those flipping out about being inside exhibit just as much freaking out about being outside.

eta: As stated in the post just above this one. :)

If you really want to become more concerned about cruising and evacuations, watch the Dateline Costa Concordia special that aired not to long ago. It's online and found it to be quite good, a bit over dramatic, but good.

Wow, this serves as a testament to why some people should not cruise, not fly... There is a certain amount of trust you must place in those deemed skilled and trained (and drilled, and drilled) to act for your safety... Every time they do this, they are skilled to provide you the needed resource as best for all's safety. Trust that they are competent and follow their guidance, or stay home... To go on your own could be dangerous for all...

The *last* thing you want to do is give people choices. As a whole, the population does not *need* choices. Tell them "Be at Point A in the event of X". Don't give them "Be at Point A in the event of X, but if R then go to Point B, unless R is accompanied by G. If R is accompanied by G, go to Z." That's just going to lead to a cluster of epic proportions, and most people won't get it right anyway. So you tell them, "A in the event of X." Period. No equivocation.

Wow, this serves as a testament to why some people should not cruise, not fly... There is a certain amount of trust you must place in those deemed skilled and trained (and drilled, and drilled) to act for your safety... Every time they do this, they are skilled to provide you the needed resource as best for all's safety. Trust that they are competent and follow their guidance, or stay home... To go on your own could be dangerous for all...

Wow, I just hope you are not referring to Amber?

Last edited:
Wow, I just hope you are not referring to Amber?
I refer to no one in specifics, rather generalizing that my family, on a cruise ship for a week once every two years, would not be competent in the skills needed to evacuate a 130K ton cruise ship. I would have to trust in the crew they will do their best to safeguard my family, or I would stay home... I trust they do...

I refer to no one in specifics, rather generalizing that my family, on a cruise ship for a week once every two years, would not be competent in the skills needed to evacuate a 130K ton cruise ship. I would have to trust in the crew they will do their best to safeguard my family, or I would stay home... I trust they do...

Each person has their own comfort level, and if you are specifically highly trained in managing disaster situations, that protocol is ingrained in you, I can really imagine it is something you instinctively cannot just turn off, nor should you have to do when you can ask for more information.

Each to their own, and fair sailing to you on your voyages.

Each person has their own comfort level, and if you are specifically highly trained in managing disaster situations, that protocol is ingrained in you, I can really imagine it is something you instinctively cannot just turn off, nor should you have to do when you can ask for more information.

Each to their own, and fair sailing to you on your voyages.

Thank you C6PT7. It is not at all easy to just turn it off. I do trust them, otherwise we wouldn't cruise with them, and that is why Disney is the only one we will continue to cruise with. Based off of my research and previous experiences, Disney is leaps and bounds better when it comes to safety. Doesn't mean I won't ask questions. For what it's worth, I didn't hold up the muster drill for other people when I questioned the CM, the drill was already over. I was following my "chain of command" by going to the CM assigned to us, rather than bothering the already busy officers. As a paying customer, I have every right to know what their safety protocols are. Just like others have every right to just be ok with "just go to your muster stations". I don't give the. A hard time, I don't call them ignorant, mindless, or whatever. So because I have a heightened sense of alertness does not mean I am paranoid, shouldn't travel, etc. just because I question something, doesn't make me wrong. The only dumb questions are the one's never asked!

Eeyorebabies, I couldn't agree more.

And I'm sure you just approaching an officer and saying I have some concerns about the safety drill that I would like to speak to an officer about would not cause a delay to them or offense.

And yep, you do have the right to ask about protocols. I have.
Do they still do the questions and answers with the officers session?

Oh, have you noticed my username? I memorized it after being on the magic for the first time! (embarrassed now!)

Thank you C6PT7. It is not at all easy to just turn it off. I do trust them, otherwise we wouldn't cruise with them, and that is why Disney is the only one we will continue to cruise with. Based off of my research and previous experiences, Disney is leaps and bounds better when it comes to safety. Doesn't mean I won't ask questions. For what it's worth, I didn't hold up the muster drill for other people when I questioned the CM, the drill was already over. I was following my "chain of command" by going to the CM assigned to us, rather than bothering the already busy officers. As a paying customer, I have every right to know what their safety protocols are. Just like others have every right to just be ok with "just go to your muster stations". I don't give the. A hard time, I don't call them ignorant, mindless, or whatever. So because I have a heightened sense of alertness does not mean I am paranoid, shouldn't travel, etc. just because I question something, doesn't make me wrong. The only dumb questions are the one's never asked!

Remember that the first instruction is to return to your stateroom for warm clothes, medications, and your life jacket. Those cast members standing in the hallway during the muster drill to tell you where to go would be doing the same thing in a real emergency. If your muster station had been changed, they would have been informed via their internal radio system. They would be in the hallways directing your group of staterooms to their new location.

If the emergency prevents you from returning to your room, those same cast members have alternate locations along the routes toward your stateroom to direct you away from your stateroom and toward your muster station where there are extra life jackets or to your new muster station if your normal one is inaccessible.

You will probably recognize most of these cast members because most of the crew assigned to direct traffic in the hallways are the stateroom attendants from those corridors. They will recognize you and you, them which helps with the calming factor.

I know, because like you, I asked. They do not like to give actual alternates, because it depends on what other muster stations are effected by whatever is blocking yours. If only one is blocked you may go to one location, but if several are inaccessible, you may be sent to a completely different location.

Thank you for your service.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter