Why does DCL have us congregate inside the theater instead of outside by the lifeboats?

Don't know if there is anyway to know that

"If you want 37 pieces of Flare, why don't you make the minimum 37 PIECES OF FLARE!?!"

That was my point. People seem to be assuming that DCL's officers ONLY meet the bare minimum when there is a possibility they actually surpass merely the bare minimum.

Technically you are both correct.

as high as the standards are they are still the legal or company "minimum"

In the construction industry for example , it is important to remember that "up to code" is the same as "minimum level of quality that's not illegal"

I think your overlooking the high standards to pass all the testing, which keep the excellent levels well above *minimum*.

The same thing goes for code.............it depends on if the *up to code* is set at a high level or just a *minimum*. The level changes from town to town. What maybe *up to code* in one town, may not come close to safe or *up to code* in another.

In the Maritime industry , especially the US, the standards to pass are pretty high.

AKK

Being "in charge", "licensed" or "certified" means nothing more than scraping by with the bare minimum.

I cannot speak for the medical industry, but this statement is just wrong in the Maritime Industry.

The officers and crews of the major cruise lines and most maritime nations go thought extensive training, both written and practical. All designed and tested to demonstrate a full knowledge and practical ability to be certified, in command and licensed for the positions they hold.

For example, to get a Oceans, unlimited 3rd Officer or 3rd engineer license you go though what amounts to a College Masters program, a minimum of 4 years, 3 semesters a year ( 6 months training at sea). Your testing goes on and on, and covering /certifying the person testing in +/-40 areas. To pass you have to do much more then bare minimum, you need to demonstrate a written knowledge and practical ability to high standards.

AKK

You mean this Captain exceeding all those standards right?
Italy%20Ship%20Aground_ship%20down%20sept%2023.JPG

:rolleyes1

I think your overlooking the high standards to pass all the testing, which keep the excellent levels well above *minimum*.

The same thing goes for code.............it depends on if the *up to code* is set at a high level or just a *minimum*. The level changes from town to town. What maybe *up to code* in one town, may not come close to safe or *up to code* in another.

In the Maritime industry , especially the US, the standards to pass are pretty high.

AKK

Which is why basically every cruise line is registered outside of the US.... including every ship of Magic Cruise Company Limited (DBA Disney Cruise Line ).
pirate:

Which is why basically every cruise line is registered outside of the US.... including every ship of Magic Cruise Company Limited (DBA Disney Cruise Line ).
pirate:

Do you have a drivers license? How much above the "bare minimum" did you extend your drivers training? It's physically impossible for everyone to be on deck for the muster, chances are pretty good it's not going to evacuate so relax people.

Do you have a drivers license? How much above the "bare minimum" did you extend your drivers training? It's physically impossible for everyone to be on deck for the muster, chances are pretty good it's not going to evacuate so relax people.

If you aren't familiar with the photo, the Captain (who had a long history as captain and every cert / license around) put the member in his pants above the safety of his crew / passengers when he tried to show off for his new girl friend who lived on that overlooking hill by doing a "float by"...

I'm making the point that licenses / certs and so forth mean jack when taking an entire profession into account vs any given individual.

My point wasn't about getting everyone on deck at once either, re read my posts.

As for my driving, you actually asked the wrong person for that one. I've got more training behind the wheel than most people and not just from my Fire Fighting days and related EVOC training and DL endorsements.

I speak from nearly 20 years of experience from everything to a front line FF/EMT to my current role as a definitive health care provider.

Not all "XYZ" are equal. Not by a long shot.

Read most of this, but not all, so apologize if this was already written.

A cruise line could have employees trained up for scenarios A to Z and everyone could attend the muster drills and pay attention perfectly and guess what the evac process will probably still be a cluster****.

Why, because many people while they know what to do will either freeze or panic in the event of an emergency or accident. That is human nature. The hope would be that everyone one work together to keep calm, but many times you here of people being trampled when getting out of of say a crowded building where something has happened.

That is human nature, people react differently to stressful situations. For those of us who can remain calm, the best we can do is help others to remain calm to help speed the evac process.

It's possible, cgolf. Or maybe people will try hard to be calm.

DH worked on oil tankers. The one emergency they ever had, an engine room fire (which is where he was working), no one panicked, everyone was amazing. Even they were astonished at how smoothly it went. Just never know.

One HOPES that people will try to be calm for the sake of the kids onboard, to help them be calm. Of course, anyone who has ever been on Haunted Mansion knows that some adults, teens, and even kids could not care less about other kids and their feelings...

Molon, I'm mystified as to what you're trying to say. That no training matters because someone might ignore it? That can't be right because you're talking about your training? I just don't know. :)

Your 100% correct C6PT7!.,. In a real emergency all the training the skills these men and women CM's have had drilled into them will out and it will be polite......direct....command mode. I do believe anyone acting like a idiot will find not only the CM's but many passengers will be putting them in line. Look at planes these days.....a passenger steps out of line and gives the flight crew a problem, most if not all the passengers are all over them....and rightfully so.

AKK

Been there and HAVE DONE IT!

pirate:

1. Please read the post and earlier posts your quoting.

1. I was referring to US and major cruise Lines and major Maritime Nations.

2. I am guessing you posted a photo of the Concordia Captain (the post didn't open). Italy is NOT a major Maritime nation. That disaster was mostly due to a poor Master, but a lot of other factors were involved.

3. Nothing in this world is perfect. However that doesn't mean standards and training cannot be excellent.

Just for the record:

1. The girl did not live on the Island, a past Commodore for Costa Line did. The whole maneuver was considered a salute to him.

2. He was not a long time Captain, in fact he got the Captains job pretty fast. This has been questioned

3. It's called a *fly-by* not a *float-by*.

However you are right, if he was not in the dining room and on the bridge where he belonged it may never have happened.

AKK

Last edited:
It's possible, cgolf. Or maybe people will try hard to be calm.

DH worked on oil tankers. The one emergency they ever had, an engine room fire (which is where he was working), no one panicked, everyone was amazing. Even they were astonished at how smoothly it went. Just never know.

One HOPES that people will try to be calm for the sake of the kids onboard, to help them be calm. Of course, anyone who has ever been on Haunted Mansion knows that some adults, teens, and even kids could not care less about other kids and their feelings...

Molon, I'm mystified as to what you're trying to say. That no training matters because someone might ignore it? That can't be right because you're talking about your training? I just don't know. :)

Pretty sure we are non the same side of this, not sure why some others are getting so worked up about this issue. Personally if they are that worried about this issue, then cruising isn't for them.

Not surprised by the oil tanker, as everyone on the ship do this as for a living. On a cruise ship you have all kinds of people, some it is their first time on the boat and of course you throw in kids too. Also just the large number of people on cruise ships make it a nightmare.

cgolf

During the safety drill they used to have us congregate outside by our designated boats which makes sense to me in case of an emergency. But now they have us meeting up inside the theater? This makes no sense to me. If we are in some kind of emergency where we have to evacuate the ship, I dont want to be heading inside the theater. It feels more like I would be heading to my doom being stuck in there. Reminds me of the steerage scenes in the Titanic with water rushing in. I would rather head straight out on deck by the lifeboats. In fact, on the last cruise, a Dad sitting next to us in the theater turned to us and said that if there is a real emergency he is not bringing his family into the theater. He is going straight out to the deck. I tend to agree.

I think there would be too many people (and chaos) if every passenger went up on deck during an emergency. Plus, when meeting inside they have taken us through back stair passageways not normally open to passengers, so they know the shortcuts and quicker routes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter