Why does DCL have us congregate inside the theater instead of outside by the lifeboats?

because they cannot fit EVERYONE on the ship out there on the deck.

and yes, they are all trained, they have drills, and they know what they are doing.

Do some research and select a stateroom that has an outside muster station if your plan is to hold everybody else up trying to locate you, if there should be an emergency.

Last edited:
I don't tell our staff what our Plan B is because it's not up to them to make the decision when to institute those plans. I tell them where to go and when and then decisions are made by the qualified responsible individuals when necessary. My response when asked "what if" questions (and they do get asked) is: "we'll tell you what to do when you need to know". One of the biggest problems we have, even with drills, is losing track of people because they make their own decisions to go back, go out a different exit, meet in a different place, not check in, go home, stay behind, etc. If I don't know where someone is, there's a potential that they've been left behind and I have to inform emergency services of that. I suspect that the CM simply didn't want to answer the question or was someone who would be told what to do by someone higher up the emergency hierarchy in the event of an actual occurrence.

lol. Going to the theater =/= being a steerage passenger locked in a lower deck. The goal is for everyone to get on a lifeboat. On the Titanic, that wasn't the goal.
I have so much anxiety about my own mortality, and really never thought twice about it on the ship... and my muster station was in the theater. It was SO GD hot out, I was happy to be where we were.

Your odds of dying on a cruise ship are so extremely negligable.

Many years ago -- a regular here was on the Magic when she had a stack fire. Everyone was called to their muster stations and DCL seriously considered abandoning ship. If you were not at your muster station someone would have had to go and find you. And being in the Theater for the several hours in the middle of the night would have been preferable to standing outside!!

and it's not like the theater is in the bowels of the ship. You enter on deck 4. Front row might be "down" in the deck 2.5 area. And there are probably more exits there than any of us realize. More than just the 2 sets of double doors at the back of the theater.

.... I am sure everyone wants to be the first off the ship, but it is simply isn't possible.
But I AM IN CONCIERGE - I must be the first off of the ship!!!

and for the MDR issues - "which one of these boats is mine. I don't get to spend much time with my family, so it will be just us in here - you can put everyone else in one of those other boats"

and finally .... I came down here at the beginning of the cruise and put my towel on this boat .... it's mine for the duration of the cruise ... I won't be sharing and I might not come back and use it at all, but I don't want anyone else to enjoy my personal life boat on this cruise because I might come back and want it sometime later.

These discussions today caused me to go research the Concordia wreck. It takes a long time for a giant cruise ship to sink, and even with a criminally incompetent captain aboard, in the end they got almost everyone off. (I know that "almost" isn't terribly comforting, but we're also unlikely to see that level of negligence on a Disney cruise. The captain refused to admit anything was wrong for something like an hour.)

For context: the Concordia had a giant hole ripped in its hull when the captain ran up against a large rock formation. Then he screwed around for a while deciding what to do. Much later they finally started evac, and were still able to get almost all of the nearly 4000 passengers off. (The captain also abandoned ship beforehand.)

My concern is the location of muster stations vs room location vs not knowing the assigned lifeboat.

When I sailed in late 2012 we were told which lifeboat we were assigned to toward the end of the drill. I remember calling to tell my family the lifeboat number just in case something happened to us.

I guess that part of the drill comes after people are no longer paying attention but are instead complaining on DIS about their assigned station.

I love how you all just jump on my case assuming I am this idiot that wanders around the ship clueless. Don't you think, being that I have actually planned evacuations for THOUSANDS of people in case of the "what if" scenarios, that I would still go to the muster stations. In additiona to actually having had to evacuate (not just planned) thousands during air raid attacks while in Baghdad that I have actually BTDT unlike probably ALL of you on here, being evacuated and actually being one to evacuate are totally different. If you look at fire escape maps. All will show the route to the nearest emergency exit. Some will show alternate routes. My point is what is the alternate route? Yes, it is simple. In the case of the muster station not being accessible, report to Buene Vista Theatre (or whatever location, just used that as an example). Sure they are trained, but I am asking about routes, etc. if I show up with hundreds of panicked people screaming, and running all over, do you think I want to stick around trying to hear over the people and not understand what he is saying? Or perhaps, if we know the alternate plan and he simply says go to Plan B or Go to Buene Vista Theatre. Then I don't have to await further instruction or look clueless or insist I go to my muster station despite the fact that it's a one way crowd heading away from the muster station, we will have already prepared by practicing the route several times.
I clearly stated we would go to the muster station in the event of an emergency. But you can't sit there and tell me that with the alarms going off, people screaming, people running around like crazy, that you are going to hear the CMs telling you where to go and that they will have small groups calmly going where they are asked to go. If you do believe that, then I suggest you go through an actual emergency where lives are on the line and it's not just a drill. I have had experience in this, so yes, I can say that with that experience, a plan B for generic relocation is not a hard or complex thing to tell passengers. Do they not do that on airplanes? In the event of a water landing, use seat bottom, in the event of a fire, use extinguisher, follow the arrows to the nearest exit, if exit is blocked, go to a different exit.
So asking them a simple question of if this location is blocked, where is the next location we should meet. Not that I would go to that one first, I am not an idiot. In every evacuation plan, you have the initial "muster station" that everyone should meet at. If that station is blocked, and the passageways are blocked with hundreds of people going the opposite direction because maybe they heard where to go, but because it's so crowded, I can't get close enough to hear where that location is, then I will automatically assume that my muster station group is going to the alternative location. Not just running around panicked.
I prepare for worst case scenarios, that has been my training and I have trained and implemented such training onto others as well. I do not think it's a very complicated to answer, if this place is on fire, where is the alternate location. I want to practice this as a family, I want my family to know the routes, we are the family that walks the emergency escape routes several times to where if I told my kid we had to evacuate, they would show me where to go. We are the family that actually tries on the life jackets and makes sure that they fit. I refuse to be a blind panicked sheep going to a muster station because that's just what we're supposed to do. I want to understand the dynamics, what alternate scenarios they have in place. Because I want to know ahead of time, that makes me a danger, no, sorry, that makes me informed.

I love how you all just jump on my case assuming I am this idiot that wanders around the ship clueless. Don't you think, being that I have actually planned evacuations for THOUSANDS of people in case of the "what if" scenarios, that I would still go to the muster stations. In additiona to actually having had to evacuate (not just planned) thousands during air raid attacks while in Baghdad that I have actually BTDT unlike probably ALL of you on here, being evacuated and actually being one to evacuate are totally different. If you look at fire escape maps. All will show the route to the nearest emergency exit. Some will show alternate routes. My point is what is the alternate route? Yes, it is simple. In the case of the muster station not being accessible, report to Buene Vista Theatre (or whatever location, just used that as an example). Sure they are trained, but I am asking about routes, etc. if I show up with hundreds of panicked people screaming, and running all over, do you think I want to stick around trying to hear over the people and not understand what he is saying? Or perhaps, if we know the alternate plan and he simply says go to Plan B or Go to Buene Vista Theatre. Then I don't have to await further instruction or look clueless or insist I go to my muster station despite the fact that it's a one way crowd heading away from the muster station, we will have already prepared by practicing the route several times.
I clearly stated we would go to the muster station in the event of an emergency. But you can't sit there and tell me that with the alarms going off, people screaming, people running around like crazy, that you are going to hear the CMs telling you where to go and that they will have small groups calmly going where they are asked to go. If you do believe that, then I suggest you go through an actual emergency where lives are on the line and it's not just a drill. I have had experience in this, so yes, I can say that with that experience, a plan B for generic relocation is not a hard or complex thing to tell passengers. Do they not do that on airplanes? In the event of a water landing, use seat bottom, in the event of a fire, use extinguisher, follow the arrows to the nearest exit, if exit is blocked, go to a different exit.
So asking them a simple question of if this location is blocked, where is the next location we should meet. Not that I would go to that one first, I am not an idiot. In every evacuation plan, you have the initial "muster station" that everyone should meet at. If that station is blocked, and the passageways are blocked with hundreds of people going the opposite direction because maybe they heard where to go, but because it's so crowded, I can't get close enough to hear where that location is, then I will automatically assume that my muster station group is going to the alternative location. Not just running around panicked.
I prepare for worst case scenarios, that has been my training and I have trained and implemented such training onto others as well. I do not think it's a very complicated to answer, if this place is on fire, where is the alternate location. I want to practice this as a family, I want my family to know the routes, we are the family that walks the emergency escape routes several times to where if I told my kid we had to evacuate, they would show me where to go. We are the family that actually tries on the life jackets and makes sure that they fit. I refuse to be a blind panicked sheep going to a muster station because that's just what we're supposed to do. I want to understand the dynamics, what alternate scenarios they have in place. Because I want to know ahead of time, that makes me a danger, no, sorry, that makes me informed.

Not wanting to sound rude, you really should lighten up. The crew is trained and there was no true reason for you to know anything other than the primary plan. Imagine if you knew every possible scenario, what then? When you are a passenger on a cruise ship, your role is to follow the CM instructions.

I was a medic in the army, deployed to Iraq, have been trained in mass casualties, evacuations, etc.
I have actually HAD to do those in real life. No matter how planned a situation is, you can't plan for everything. But you CAN offer a plan B. I am not saying NOT to go to the muster station. I am saying that they need to have a back up for every muster station. Not even saying it needs to be at the lifeboats, but if everyone is running from a burning theater that is my muster station, and they didn't tell me where to go in the evet that my muster station is not accessible, then should I just stand there? No! But where exactly should I go? Against the crowds to the burning theater? Against the crowds to the upper deck staterooms? Out to the lifeboats that may be in a completely different direction than where my lifeboat is located? Again, causing chaos against the crowds.
That's what my point is getting at. Telling me to just go to my muster station isn't good enough (clearly I would go because that's the protocol), but my point is they need to give a secondary location in the event that a specific muster station is not accessible.
Being that I have had to plan for evacuations, mass casualties, etc. I can tell you right now, a blanket response of just go to your muster station is not the best response.
Talk to your CM and ask them where you should go if the muster station is not accessible. I asked mine, and guess what, they had to ask their supervisor after his initial response of "just come here". When I explained that what if "here" is on fire where should we go, he paused and went to ask his supervisor.
So don't tell me they are all trained in this and know what they are doing. If it was an emergency and I had to ask where we should go, this CM would have been clueless thus causing more panic.
Chillax. I only saw a few people even respond to you. Hardly "us all" jumping on your case. My response was to the OP.

Goodness, I am not asking for every possible scenario. Simply, if I can't get here, where do we go next. How is that asking for every possible scenario. Because I want to be prepared, that means I need to lighten up? Sorry, but by being prepared, and knowing my family is prepared, that is what actually helps us to "lighten up".

Goodness, I am not asking for every possible scenario. Simply, if I can't get here, where do we go next. How is that asking for every possible scenario. Because I want to be prepared, that means I need to lighten up? Sorry, but by being prepared, and knowing my family is prepared, that is what actually helps us to "lighten up".

Except, how many of those "where do we go next?" are enough for you?

Keep in mind that many of the lifeboats are not out on deck - the yellow ones you see on the side of the ship would not nearly accommodate everyone. There are several inflatable lifeboats stowed out of sight.

They will load up those muster stations first, deploy those lifeboats, then have the room to get the inflatables ready to load and deploy, leading people from the indoor musters to their lifeboat.

I'm sorry Prose but when I read that I found that not possible in my mind in this day and age, so I did a little googling and I think you are incorrect. Here's why.

If you look at the side of the Disney Wonder, one of the lifeboats is smaller than the other, 4th in.
Disney_Wonder_20110216.JPG

Here is a picture of it close up

cruise-8.jpg

It states 58 persons, but it is a lot smaller than the others

3237114602_a1c5b681ac.jpg

So that larger lifeboat is easily twice as large as the smaller one they seem to use for rescues if they do not launch the RIB rescue boat.

The Wonder has a max 2400 pax, 20 lifeboats, 2 with 58 pax capacity.
So 2400 less the 116 for the smaller lifeboats leaves 2342 pax.
2342 between the remaining 18 large lifeboats is 113 pax per large lifeboat.

I can easily see 113 pax fitting in the large boat if 58 fit in the small boat.

If you are referring to the inflatable rafts like these, they are for the crew from everything I've read
depositphotos_11643295-Life-raft.jpg

Thank you for correcting that. I definitely am not a doom and gloom person. For the most part I am go with the flow. I have been on two cruises. One on Disney. I definitely felt that Disney had things under control a whole lot more than the other cruise line.
As far as when is enough "where do we go next" scenarios enough for me, does that really matter? I enjoyed every minute of our cruise with Disney. We are doing it again in December. If I didn't trust them, we wouldn't be going back. Just because I want my family to be prepared, doesn't mean I need to lighten up. We have tons of fun, more than I thought was even possible. Just because I ask a question about the evacuation processm it doesn't mean I am questioning them, and what they know. It's for my family and what I feel we should know for our protection. I don't criticize those that don't check their life jackets, I don't think people that don't practice their evacuation drills are idiots or anything. I choose to be prepared. I don't go around the ship worrying about what if this happens nor am I constantly on high alert. Once I know the drill and at least one plan B then I am good, and we don't give it another thought.

My concern is the location of muster stations vs room location vs not knowing the assigned lifeboat. Last time we had a top deck stateroom. But had to go down several decks and inside a theater to get to our muster station, and then we were never shown which life boat is assigned to us. Now, let's say the theater is on fire or submerged, going to the theater really is not the best option. In that case, we should be told which boat is assigned to us. I understand having a top deck would mean going down to get to the lifeboats, my concern is there is no plan B given where they say in the event that the muster station is not accessible, go to your assigned lifeboat. Without knowing which boat is ours, that's where panic will ensue with people because now they don't know where to go. If it's a real life emergency, it doesn't take much to cause panic. You will not get 1500 people to sit quietly in a sinking ship inside a theater. It just won't happen, I don't care how planned they think they are. Because let's face it, the time it took for everyone to get to their muster stations when not in a panic situation is not exactly quick. Then to have panicked people sitting down in chairs in a theater, yeah, good luck with that. It's hard enough getting that many people in a non emergency to be sitting down and quiet to await further instructions. Throw is scared people and screaming terrified children, plus the time it takes to get life jackets, and for people that were away from their staterooms having to run back for jackets. Yeah, sure thing. It's going to be complete chaos no matter how "organized" everyone thinks it will be.
Look how stupid people get on Black Friday and that's not even an emergency!

I agree with everything you said here. The "plan" and reality when there is a real emergency will be totally different.

Amber, please let me start by saying thank you for your service to protect us all.
And I really do not think that anyone think's you are an idiot.

I will say that due to your training, you seem to have a different approach to situations such as this, and knowing every detail of "what if's" sounds like it is instinctive for you.
If every pax on a cruise was as diligent and conscientious as you are, the muster drill would be over in 10 minutes!
I really think for 99.9% of cruisers, the information they are given at the drill is sufficient for them take in and anymore would go in one ear and out the other. HOWEVER, as you would like to know what your plan B venue is or what you should do if your muster station is unavailable, then during the drill you will see officers in white dress checking the crew are doing their jobs.
I would suggest waiting around after the drill and catching one of them and ask to speak to someone about your questions.
A CM doesn't need to know the what if's or back up's, they will await instruction from the officers on the bridge to be told what to do, how to direct pax, what the plan is if that venue is inaccessible.

I really do not think anyone meant any honest disrespect to you. And please do not take this as me criticizing you at all. It is just an observation and suggestion of what you could do to allay your concerns.

And once again, thank you for your service and keeping us all safe.

Thank you for correcting that. I definitely am not a doom and gloom person. For the most part I am go with the flow. I have been on two cruises. One on Disney. I definitely felt that Disney had things under control a whole lot more than the other cruise line.
As far as when is enough "where do we go next" scenarios enough for me, does that really matter? I enjoyed every minute of our cruise with Disney. We are doing it again in December. If I didn't trust them, we wouldn't be going back. Just because I want my family to be prepared, doesn't mean I need to lighten up. We have tons of fun, more than I thought was even possible. Just because I ask a question about the evacuation processm it doesn't mean I am questioning them, and what they know. It's for my family and what I feel we should know for our protection. I don't criticize those that don't check their life jackets, I don't think people that don't practice their evacuation drills are idiots or anything. I choose to be prepared. I don't go around the ship worrying about what if this happens nor am I constantly on high alert. Once I know the drill and at least one plan B then I am good, and we don't give it another thought.

I am sure that we all appreciate your service. If you were in charge of the evacs, you know what happens if panic ensues. The simplest answer is that you don't need to know that information, so it is not provided during the drill. From your military background, I'm sure you can understand why it is important for everyone to follow instructions and for everyone to follow CM commands. Since Plan B would be different throughout the ship, there is no reason for passengers to be informed of the scenario. I think if you need further information than what is commonly shared during the drill, perhaps you should contact DCL directly for official clarification.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter