Why do you rent a camper for camping?

Jhuff8181

Mousenut
This is just for those who rent campers. I'm trying to figure out the cheapest way to visit WDW. At first I though camping must be the cheapest way but I don't own a camper. First I figured the cost for renting a camper, the campsite and airfare. Then I figured renting a camper here in New Hampshire and driving it down and back. What I found is that it costs about the same as staying at POR (we are a family of 5). So do most people rent campers for their vacation just because they enjoy camping?

We rented a Class C once, so that we could take our dogs with us on our first ever family Disney World trip. We loved it so much that we bought a trailer as soon as we returned home and have done several Fort camping trips since. We now own a Class C, and the Fort is our all-time favorite place to go as a family. Financially, it would be smarter for us to leave the dogs at home and drive a car down and stay in a hotel, but then it wouldn't be a true family vacation for us.

We actually have to do this at the end of June, as my daughter's Disney dance performance is contingent on us staying in one of three Disney properties, and the Fort wasn't an option....I'll be going through Fort withdrawal big time! But we're looking at this as a dance trip, not a vacation.

We don't rent, but bought a MH before our first Disney trip. For us, it's the only way to see WDW. We have all our own stuff and facilities. We have much more than four walls to lounge in. There are ton of amenities to see, do, visit, etc at the Fort. We often stay at the Fort when we don't want to go to the Parks. We did rent a GC a couple of times; once for a day, once for a week. Then we bought one of those also. Visiting WDW is not all a financial consideration. Sometimes pleasure outweighs the cost...otherwise, why would you come to WDW in the first place? Enjoy.

We rent because we no longer own a camper but we still enjoy camping. We've rented 3 times from Tina. We always drive from Texas to DW and find the cost of the drive, campsite and rental is till cheaper than a hotel room for the week.

This is just for those who rent campers. I'm trying to figure out the cheapest way to visit WDW. At first I though camping must be the cheapest way but I don't own a camper. First I figured the cost for renting a camper, the campsite and airfare. Then I figured renting a camper here in New Hampshire and driving it down and back. What I found is that it costs about the same as staying at POR (we are a family of 5). So do most people rent campers for their vacation just because they enjoy camping?

I tried doing the math also and unless you have your own equipment it s not going to be cheaper. And as you figured out, once you add the campsite, its a little more than a mod.

But of course camping has it own pleasures, at POR you can't easily just tell the kids to go out side and play in the street, you're bothering me. :thumbsup2

I've done the math too, but not on renting... On the cost of camping with our own equipment. If you figure in the cost of the camper (which I figure the entire cost divided by the total amount of nights we've used the camper on ALL our trips), the cost of gas to haul it and the cost of the campsite, it's more expensive than getting a hotel.

But you just can't beat the atmosphere of being at the Fort, or any other campground/RV resort we've been to. Camping at the Fort is more private than at a hotel, yet more friendly. You meet a lot of nice people there if you're like me, or you can enjoy the privacy of your own space and keep to yourself if you're like my husband.

It's something you should try at least once if you're the least bit inclined to do so.

I've done the math too, but not on renting... On the cost of camping with our own equipment. If you figure in the cost of the camper (which I figure the entire cost divided by the total amount of nights we've used the camper on ALL our trips), the cost of gas to haul it and the cost of the campsite, it's more expensive than getting a hotel.

Of course if you have a tent it is cheaper than a hotel. :thumbsup2

:goodvibes
I am on a super small shoestring budget so I am opting to Tent Camp.
It is the cheapest way to go in regards to having a roof over my head.
It costs $93 per night to camp during Christmas time.
( My tent which is just big enough for myself, twin airbed and bedding cost $30.):hippie:

( My tent which is just big enough for myself, twin airbed and bedding cost $30.):hippie:

Hmm, I think it's only cheaper to camp if you compare on Disney properties. If you're willing to stay offsite, a hotel can be had for 45-70 per night. If you're into sharing, then it'd be a lot cheaper, and I find tent campsites a lot easier to share than hotel rooms since your sleeping space is private.

Our first couple of trips to DW were in a tent because yes, it is much cheaper. Or it was. I think out first campsite was $30.00 a night. I did the research for our upcoming trip this Aug. for our youngest DD and her family to rent a camper and realized they may as well rent a cabin. Then she bought a pop-up. For this trip some of the specials are better than the campground. You can get value resorts for $69. a night and POR for 131. So I guess the answer is people do it because they love to camp. And then there is the fact that FW is so close to the action. Camping at FW is like having two vacations in one.

I did tent camping twice at the Fort too just so I would have the extra magic hours for me and DS. He loved the camping experience too (I just didn't cook at my campsite though because DS was quite young.)

But then again would like to know where to get prices for a camper to be put on site, anyone have any contacts? :confused3

There are 2 places advertising at the top of this page. I personally have no knowledge of either.

:thumbsup2 its also easier to upgrade if your family grows, and downsize when needed.

We are looking to graduate from a tent to a Tear Drop. For everyone that doesn't know what they are.

926459540_9296255096.jpg

Oh My how cute!! If we had a way to tow it, I am sure hubby would want to graduate to one of those.

How big of a car do you have? They can be pretty light. Most are home built on trailer frames purchased from Harbor Freight.

Shasta-Gathering-045-300x225.jpg

1211466495.jpg

I may need to get him to research it for next trip. Thank you for the pictures of the smart car and mini pulling it. That my help my case hehe

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter