Who's already planning for 2017 or 2018

I am jealous of your 2017 trips. We haven't gone since 2013 other then lunch twice in 2014 on the way off and on the auto train.

I keep looking at cruises but none fit my dates for 2017 well and my budget...sigh... And I even thought of a night or two at the beach club, no parks but my dh has vetoed it the past few years.

So I wait...August 2018 can't come fast enough. And I swear I have read so many trip reports lately. I never read them but I am living vicariously thru others. Heck I even looked at DL for the summer.

OKAY, I know we are all dreaming about trips to Disney, so let's have a bit of fun.
First state your dream resort and then state what resort you are most likely going to be at when you do go back.

I will start,

Dream resort - Poly (I have never stayed there and this is the resort I remember my mother saying that she would love to stay at one day too. So, I would love to stay there to fulfill our fantasy due to the tropical theme and the monorail.)

Reality - Moderate or Value resort - hoping for a moderate again with a discount.

Dream Poly CL or theme park view (not really interested in the bungalows)

Reality Poly standard view

This is why I don't go yearly!

We're planning on a trip in 2017 - just trying to pick the dates. Trying to work w/ ds's school schedule. Right now it looks like Easter week would work best. We're a little worried about crowds, but more concerned about weather (Heat & Humidity). Easter 2017 is mid-April, anyone on here been during that time, willing to share how weather was while you were there? We've only been to wdw twice- mid-Nov 2013 & Thanksgiving week 2015. Both times we had beautiful weather. Thanksgiving was wonderful with all of the Christmas decorations and MVMCP. We just won't be ready this Nov to go back again and don't want to wait til Nov 2017, so ... so far it's looking Like Easter week will prob be best option unless we do a very short trip - trying to limit ds to 3 days off school for this trip.
So, Happy to be joining in to plan and follow along!! :flower1:

I went Easter week once, the year I got engaged. We came home on Easter. It wasn't too bad the weekend before but by Thursday I could tell the crowds were picking up. Saturday Easter eve we were in the MK and the lines were crazy (1999). I had never left a park before closing but that night we did.

As far as weather, it's a hit or miss. We have been going to my sisters in ft. Myers the last 4 Aprils. While the weather is nice and warm there, I did notice the first 2 times we drove/auto train that Orlando was a bit cooler. Not frigid but it was warmer where we were. I wanted to put a light coat on e one evening we stopped for dinner. This past April, it wasn't humid where we were. I was surprised. It only got humid on our last beach day and the day we left to go home.

And just so you know we have our spring break the week before Easter so Easter Sunday is the end of our break in CT.

I have been making a list of restaurants that I want to try on this trip. I figure I will add all the ones that I might want to go to and then narrow the list down later when it is closer to ADR making time.

List of restaurants that I would like to try for the first time

Cape May – Beach Club (and Beaches and Cream for dessert) Have character meal with the gang and we can tour the Beach Club resort

Captain Cook’s counter service for Tonga Toast

Kona Café – have read a lot of great reviews

Whispering Canyon - I think my two kids would really get a kick out of the antics here and we can tour Fort Wilderness

Brown Derby if go to Studios for Cobb Salad and burger for my son

EPCOT – Counter Service – Liberty Inn (burgers and steak on CS credit)

Rainforest Café at AK for my daughter (though we can go to one in Chicago Area about 2 and half hours away from home so it is not a priority)

Plaza Restaurant during our MK day

So, what about everyone else???

We love the WCC! We have only gone twice but my kids are asking if we can go again in 2 years.

I am not a fan of the RFC anymore. We used to have one here in CT and I'd go to get my *Disney* fix but it closed. We ate at T. rex and found the food so much better.

I'm planning a trip for early Sept 2017. This will be my first solo trip. I went down last year for a big family trip and burned myself out making sure everyone else had a great time. I'm planning to plan as little as possible for this trip. I hope to save enough money to stay at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. The hotel is usually just a place to sleep and shower for me so I'm looking forward relaxing this time. My next trip after this won't be until 2021 for 50th Anniversary (hopefully Star Wars land will be open by then).

We plan to go for Food and Wine. We're debating the Beach Club v. Boardwalk for a villa but we'll sort it out. We'll book at the Poly (our home resort) to cover our bases but for this trip we're hoping to stay closer to Epcot.

I'm a little nervous about my spectrum kiddo too. She was 5 on our trip this January and a stroller was a good option for retreating from sensory overload. At 7 that's less likely to be viable. We'll have to see where she's at when we get closer and make arrangements based on her needs.

:welcome:Baklava!

Your daughter might still fit in one of the Disney strollers at age 7. On my daughter's first trip at two and a half, I got a double stroller so she could stretch out or have room for our stuff. But my 7 year old son would often get in it too as we went through the parks. So, you never know. When you get there, you can have your daughter sit in one to try out the size and just rent it there if she fits. Rental at Disney might be more than what you could line up elsewhere, but less planning and hassle, especially if she ends up not wanting to ride in it or doesn't fit well for comfort.

Started my serious planning for Disneyland December 2017. Trying to decide if on property or across the street. It's so different from WDW. But I still love the Disney hotels. I have stayed at both Grand Californian and the Disneyland Hotel. Trying to figure if I can save enough for the Disneyland Hotel.

:welcome:Chirurgeon!

I want to go to Disneyland sometime too! That is pretty much a big pipe dream but you never know! The Grand Californian loves absolutely beautiful! And of course Disneyland Hotel is iconic! I don't know which I would pick either!

Started doing the same for an October trip in 2017...first visit! Planning on staying at Disneyland Hotel to take advantage of Extra Magic Mornings so gotta save the bucks!

:welcome: SoarinSC! Another Disneyland planner --- fun, fun, fun!

I am jealous of your 2017 trips. We haven't gone since 2013 other then lunch twice in 2014 on the way off and on the auto train.

I keep looking at cruises but none fit my dates for 2017 well and my budget...sigh... And I even thought of a night or two at the beach club, no parks but my dh has vetoed it the past few years.

So I wait...August 2018 can't come fast enough. And I swear I have read so many trip reports lately. I never read them but I am living vicariously thru others. Heck I even looked at DL for the summer. Dream Poly CL or theme park view (not really interested in the bungalows) Reality Poly standard view. This is why I don't go yearly!

I went Easter week once, the year I got engaged. We came home on Easter. It wasn't too bad the weekend before but by Thursday I could tell the crowds were picking up. Saturday Easter eve we were in the MK and the lines were crazy (1999). I had never left a park before closing but that night we did.

As far as weather, it's a hit or miss. We have been going to my sisters in ft. Myers the last 4 Aprils. While the weather is nice and warm there, I did notice the first 2 times we drove/auto train that Orlando was a bit cooler. Not frigid but it was warmer where we were. I wanted to put a light coat on e one evening we stopped for dinner. This past April, it wasn't humid where we were. I was surprised. It only got humid on our last beach day and the day we left to go home.

And just so you know we have our spring break the week before Easter so Easter Sunday is the end of our break in CT.

We love the WCC! We have only gone twice but my kids are asking if we can go again in 2 years.

I am not a fan of the RFC anymore. We used to have one here in CT and I'd go to get my *Disney* fix but it closed. We ate at T. rex and found the food so much better.

I'm planning a trip for early Sept 2017. This will be my first solo trip. I went down last year for a big family trip and burned myself out making sure everyone else had a great time. I'm planning to plan as little as possible for this trip. I hope to save enough money to stay at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. The hotel is usually just a place to sleep and shower for me so I'm looking forward relaxing this time. My next trip after this won't be until 2021 for 50th Anniversary (hopefully Star Wars land will be open by then).

:welcome: Monorailsilver!

I am happy to hear that your kids loved WCC. We might have to try T-rex, most people seem to really like it, especially for the atmosphere.

With just my own immediately family trips, I know how it is to try to make sure everyone else has a great time that you forget about yourself at times, I can't imagine how much pressure that was for you and others that plan big extended family or friends trips!
It would be fun to just go solo and be able to do exactly what you want. If I did, I would plan just minimum things like you so that I could truly just get caught in the moment and do as I wish as the mood strikes!pixiedust:

Just got back like three weeks ago :sad: we had a wonderful trip with great weather and not too crowded. Our plan is to return September 21, 2018 for hopefully more than a week stay :D. Going to try Food and Wine Festival, will it be decorated for Halloween then?

Last edited:
Just got back like three weeks ago :sad: we had a wonderful trip with great weather and not too crowded. Our plan is to return September 21, 2018 for hopefully more than a week stay :D. Going to try Food and Wine Festival, will it be decorated for Halloween then?

:welcome: louey!

I am jealous that you had a recent trip. Happy to hear that you had wonderful weather and it wasn't too crowded. Just for planning purposes was your trip around Memorial Day or was it the week prior to Memorial Day?

Going in late September should be a good time to go as well regarding the weather and crowds. Of course, being that it will be during Food and Wine Festival, that will bring in some crowds, especially at EPCOT. I have never been then so I cannot answer your question about decorations.

From your recent experience, what is one big tip that you can share with us all that really helped your trip go so well?

:welcome: louey!

I am jealous that you had a recent trip. Happy to hear that you had wonderful weather and it wasn't too crowded. Just for planning purposes was your trip around Memorial Day or was it the week prior to Memorial Day?

Going in late September should be a good time to go as well regarding the weather and crowds. Of course, being that it will be during Food and Wine Festival, that will bring in some crowds, especially at EPCOT. I have never been then so I cannot answer your question about decorations.

From your recent experience, what is one big tip that you can share with us all that really helped your trip go so well?

We were there May 21-27 the week before Memorial Day we had like ten raindrops the whole trip :D. Planning Planning def helps things go smoother. We always try to do things or eat places that we haven't done yet. By checking Fastpasses while we were there we lucked out and got one for Fantasmic and our last day for Soarin old film but new screens. It also was our first Flower and Garden which was so beautiful!!! One thing we did for the first time was get a ride down Mainstreet in one of the old time cars, they drop you off at castle and I believe this only happens in the early morning :thumbsup2. Also rode Mine Train love love love so much fun ::yes::.
Counting down already to next trip and looking forward to our Yacht Club being refreshed and all the new things coming to Hollywood and Animal Kingdom :dance3:

It is nice to hear that you were able score a great Fastpass on the actual day you were there. I know that was something that I liked, being able to check and modify our Fastpasses throughout the day.

Hi there!:wave: Joining in from Michigan. My DH and I are almost yearly F&W goers (we married same year it started). He wants to go again this year, but I have other thoughts. We took our three kiddos for Christmas/ NYE 2013/2014, and all want to do it again. I am hoping for 2017/2018. Wondering if I should just book the room I want now, and hope for reasonable package prices to come out, or try for renting DVC at that most difficult time of the year? We loved it at Christmas:santa:

We're in the same boat, actually planning two trips. Am planning a big trip in 2021 for the 50th Anniversary of Magic Kingdom. Since 5 years is far too long to wait for a Dianey vacation, I too plan to return some time in 2017 or 2018. I have said before that Disney would best serve to allow those of us who plan vacations over a year in advance to book online reservations more than just 6 months ahead.

Hi everyone!

I can't recall if I ever posted here or not....

We are planning for May 2017 although I am pretty sure we are pushing it back to September. Our youngest is pretty small and we want him to be able to enjoy the attractions that his slightly older brother will be enjoying. He needs to grow just a bit more. And he is still in diapers. I am anxious to get him potty trained.

The Halloween-vibe is always fun during that time of year. We haven't pinned down a resort. We are leaning towards POR but if we go in September and Free Dining is offered than we will go with whatever moderate is available for that.

Does anyone here do DIY project for their trips? Like matching shirts, autograph books, etc... In the next month or so I am going to get started on my autograph books for the boys and getting some ideas for matching shirts. I'd love to see what you all have done or are planning on doing DIY stuff too!

I am excited to read what everyone has planned!

Last edited:
Dear Daisy,
September-October would be a great month to go. Disney offers their annual Free Dining plan during September, October, and November. I highly recommend taking advantage of the free dining. Have you decided where you will stay? We love staying at the Pop Century value resort but many gueats choose to stay at a moderate or deluxe resort. Hope you have a great vacation!

We'll be there in a couple of weeks, but I am already plotting for a night stay at the Grand Floridian for NYE at the tail end of 2017... I have a Fantasy cruise booked for the week between xmas & ny so if I can keep it what is one more night of opulence..? :rotfl2:

If not, then we'll be back in 2018 most likely though I am not sure where exactly we will stay, I bet it will be at one of the Epcot resorts. My guess is Beach or Yacht Club using rented DVC points sometime during F&W!

We're planning for the first 2 weeks of October 2017. I'm a little worried about fall break crowds at that time, our kiddos school changed our fall break from the last 2 weeks of sept to the first 2 of october. The end of sept was fantastic for crowds! I'm thinking we'll stay at POR, hopefully be able to sneak onto the free dining train, even if we have to come a few days earlier. So excited to book and really start planning!!!

Does anyone here do DIY project for their trips? Like matching shirts, autograph books, etc... In the next month or so I am going to get started on my autograph books for the boys and getting some ideas for matching shirts. I'd love to see what you all have done or are planning on doing DIY stuff too!

Oh yes!! Matching shirts or coordinated outfits every day (yes we are those people, my husband begrudgingly goes along with it :) ) and I do make autograph books, I'll have to post some pics, and I make ears or bows to go with all the outfits ;) pressed penny holders too! I love making all of that for our trips!!!

I forgot about the pressed penny holders! Aw its all so much fun, isn't it? And yes, post pictures! I could spend hours on Pinterest, getting ideas and making plans. There are so many good DIY ideas for Disney trips on there.

It looks like we will be going in the Fall. Last night I was talking with my DH about our trip. All he wants is to avoid the oppressive heat. Our last trip was in September and it was a little brutal. So we decided November works best with work and school...and avoiding super hot humid weather. My last Christmas trip was in 2005, so I am pretty stoked. But the countdown just got a LOT longer.
:hourglass:bored::sad:

Are you confusing the Plaza restaurant with the Crystal Palace? The Crystal Palace has the Winnie the Pooh characters. I don't think the Plaza restaurant has any character meals. At least it didn't when I was last there in 2014. The Plaza is the restaurant that is just inside the MK, right by the front entrance. CP is closer to the castle.

Oooops I meant Crystal Palace! We are so used to Disneyland and their Main Street character breakfast is at The Plaza. They are so similar (Winnie the Pooh and friends there too) I mixed up the names. But yes I meant Crystal Palace and it we loved it! You'll have to let us know on where you decide to make reservations at! I'm already making our restaurant "wish list". We want to go to Narcoossee's this time... or maybe even try the California Grill's new brunch....

Started my serious planning for Disneyland December 2017. Trying to decide if on property or across the street. It's so different from WDW. But I still love the Disney hotels. I have stayed at both Grand Californian and the Disneyland Hotel. Trying to figure if I can save enough for the Disneyland Hotel.

My family and I practically live at Disneyland, it's home :wizard:! And yes VERY different than WDW. The Grand Californian is such a beautiful resort, I would stay there every time if I could. We go so often and live so close though that we never really splurge on hotels when we visit. Have you stayed off-site there before or have you always stayed at one of the Disney hotels? The good thing about Disneyland is if you are off-site you are still SO CLOSE to the parks, easy walking distance (unlike WDW).

Hi everyone!

I can't recall if I ever posted here or not....

We are planning for May 2017 although I am pretty sure we are pushing it back to September. Our youngest is pretty small and we want him to be able to enjoy the attractions that his slightly older brother will be enjoying. He needs to grow just a bit more. And he is still in diapers. I am anxious to get him potty trained.

The Halloween-vibe is always fun during that time of year. We haven't pinned down a resort. We are leaning towards POR but if we go in September and Free Dining is offered than we will go with whatever moderate is available for that.

I forgot about the pressed penny holders! Aw its all so much fun, isn't it? And yes, post pictures! I could spend hours on Pinterest, getting ideas and making plans. There are so many good DIY ideas for Disney trips on there.

It looks like we will be going in the Fall. Last night I was talking with my DH about our trip. All he wants is to avoid the oppressive heat. Our last trip was in September and it was a little brutal. So we decided November works best with work and school...and avoiding super hot humid weather. My last Christmas trip was in 2005, so I am pretty stoked. But the countdown just got a LOT longer.
:hourglass:bored::sad:

In the past, I have made one of our own autograph books but it was nothing special. I just used colored blank post cards and put some of the character stickers on them. They I was able to slip the cards into a small photograph album. So, really not much of one to post a picture on. I agree there are lots of ideas here on the DIS (look in the creative forum) and on pinterest. We haven't really done the full matching shirts per say but I do plan outfits ahead of time and we wear Disney stuff most days.

You all will understand when I share this story. My son's high school band was going to march in a parade at the Magic Kingdom so I saw it as a chance to take a WDW vacation. My daughter and I went down ahead of the band and spent four days at the parks before the band arrived. My husband saw my son off on the band bus and then flew down to join us. I had bought my son a nice WDW sweatshirt to wear from the Disney Store before we left. I had him pack it and to ld him to wear it the day at WDW. I had hoped that when he had a few hours free we could do a little touring as a family and recreate a few photos from previous trips. Well, when I do see him at MK this is the sweatshir he has on! :sad2:,

And the funny thing is we are not from PA nor has he ever been and he is a Rams/Bears fan. It was just some random sweatshirt that my hubby had bought one time at a sports clearance sale. Talk about disappointment. When I asked him about it, he said he had worn the new Disney sweatshirt on the bus and other kids liked it.

Here was the photo from our previous family trip in 2009. It had been five years between our trips, so it is easy to see how much the kids have grown since then.

Hi there!:wave: Joining in from Michigan. My DH and I are almost yearly F&W goers (we married same year it started). He wants to go again this year, but I have other thoughts. We took our three kiddos for Christmas/ NYE 2013/2014, and all want to do it again. I am hoping for 2017/2018. Wondering if I should just book the room I want now, and hope for reasonable package prices to come out, or try for renting DVC at that most difficult time of the year? We loved it at Christmas:santa:

Hi Victoria! :sunny:

I can understand your dilemma. I think either time would be fun. But I would probably lean towards going at Christmas/NYE with the entire family, especially if you are comfortable with the crowds at that time. I would probably reserve a room and watch for discounts since it is such a popular time to go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter