Who WON'T go if there is no FD in Aug/Sept?

Just need to say I have seen, priced and been on cheaper vacations. My kids MUCH prefer to go to Williamsburg, which is cheaper, but I prefer Disney. Also many cruises are cheaper. Camping is cheaper. Washington DC cheaper, and I am sure there are others.

I have nothing against Disney. I just don't agree that it is as cheap as *any* other vacation.

With us the problem is that due to school and work schedules in the family we are limited to the last week of August and the week after Christmas. I'm not going near Disney with a ten foot pole the week after Christmas and cruises or any other vacation is at a premium that week as well.
I am looking at cruises for the last week of August and the best I have found for the dates that we have to stay in are coming in around 3500 plus flights, plus insurance. So then we are at the 5000 mark and I have come under that with Disney every single time.

We would LOVE to go to DC and Williamsburg and are considering that for our Christmas trip and we're still totally up in the air for the last week of August.

Just need to say I have seen, priced and been on cheaper vacations. My kids MUCH prefer to go to Williamsburg, which is cheaper, but I prefer Disney. Also many cruises are cheaper. Camping is cheaper. Washington DC cheaper, and I am sure there are others.

I have nothing against Disney. I just don't agree that it is as cheap as *any* other vacation.

We went to Williamsburg this past weekend it was a ton of fun, we consider it a weekend excursion. DC is our backyard, it's a day trip. And I've priced cruises and for OUR family they were less days for just under wdw price and that didn't include excursions+extra's. I hate camping. I don't think anybody said it was cheaper then ANY other vacation. Were going to Disney with or with out free dining this year because we like it and consider it to hold a lot of value everything considered.

I totally agree with you. I think the people that think it's cheaper are people that stay in value resorts or moderate resorts with good discounts or free dining. I don't mean to offend anyone, but the rooms at those resorts are equivalent to a motel 6 or super 8. The deluxe resort rooms are not even close to what you would consider deluxe outside of Disney. If you think they are you haven't done enough traveling, or you just refuse to compare apples to apples. I could stay at any resort in Honolulu for 1/3 the price of the Polynesian resort. I don't kid myself into thinking that I'm paying a reasonable price for the room I'm getting. We will continue to go because we love it, but no way will I ever try to rationalize into a "cheap vacation". It's expensive!!!!

I totally agree with you. I think the people that think it's cheaper are people that stay in value resorts or moderate resorts with good discounts or free dining. I don't mean to offend anyone, but the rooms at those resorts are equivalent to a motel 6 or super 8. The deluxe resort rooms are not even close to what you would consider deluxe outside of Disney. If you think they are you haven't done enough traveling, or you just refuse to compare apples to apples. I could stay at any resort in Honolulu for 1/3 the price of the Polynesian resort. I don't kid myself into thinking that I'm paying a reasonable price for the room I'm getting. We will continue to go because we love it, but no way will I ever try to rationalize into a "cheap vacation". It's expensive!!!!

You have either never stayed at a super 8 or motel 6 ... or never stayed at disney ....

Its not that I won't go, but I'd like to know so I could start getting my act together.

First the rumor was FD would ONLY be for deluxes, we usually stay at a Mod. Ok, fine if FD is offered at Deluxe only I would stay at Y&B, the difference in staying at a mod and paying for DDP and staying at deluxe and not paying for DDP was only a few hundred difference.
THEN they say only QS...which doesn't do anything for me.
NOW its no FD at all this year. Just let me know already so I could plan out my vacation lol!

Like I said, I just want to know so I could plan accordingly and get my ADRs going. And IDK what is real and whats a rumor anymore. I keep hearing no FD this year, they don't need it bc of the fantasyland espansion, but no matter how you dice it, kids start school in late Aug/Early Sept and since Disney is a family vacation, I would expect attendance to still be low during those weeks.

You have either never stayed at a super 8 or motel 6 ... or never stayed at disney ....

The rooms alone are equivalent to super 8. There is really nothing special about the value resort rooms. They are small. The decor is standard. The toiletries are basic. Did I say they were small? And now, with the addition of wifi and fridge we are almost into the 21st century! By the way...We are a family who loves POP! We really do love it...:cool1:

What makes the value resorts different then super 8 is the outdoor "resort". The place is filled with color and foliage. It is exciting to be there. That and the castmembers! They are awesome. They take the experience of being there from good to great. :thumbsup2

But the rooms.....they really are equal to super 8.

We are also waiting for FD but will go no matter what. If we get FD we all get our own meals...If no FD we split meals like we usually do. But I do hope! for FD.

If there's no FD this fall we will hold our trip over till May and go for ten days instead of seven and celebrate our son's graduation from kindergarten. LOL just to have something to celebrate :) We may not be able to go when we originally wanted, but we will get a longer trip.

If you read my post correctly I was referring to the rooms not the resort, and yes I have stayed at motel 6 and Super 8. The deluxe resort rooms are not even as nice as most chain hotels such as Hilton or Marriot. Of course the pools, atmosphere, theming and location are what make the resorts special. The rooms not so much.

We love Williamsburg also and it's only a few hour car ride for us. That means no airfare so yea it's a lot cheaper for us!!! :0) We do that every other and usually do Disney every other. I budget for Disney and assume no free dining because we love Disney just as much....we will go either way! Some type of discount will come out especially for that time of year. We would like to see FD but even if they do it this year...I really think it will soon be a thing of the past!! :wave2:

If no FD offered, we have decided that we will cancel our booking, put that $$ towards a cruise for next year and go to Williamsburg which is always an awesome vacation for our family. Yes, I am one of those counting on FD, but if I have to cancel, I will-I realized that when booking I was counting on FD for Sept (as this is what we are used to getting, can't help it!), so of course it's a gamble-if not offered, we move on to plan B!

The rooms alone are equivalent to super 8. There is really nothing special about the value resort rooms. They are small. The decor is standard. The toiletries are basic. Did I say they were small? And now, with the addition of wifi and fridge we are almost into the 21st century! By the way...We are a family who loves POP! We really do love it...:cool1:

What makes the value resorts different then super 8 is the outdoor "resort". The place is filled with color and foliage. It is exciting to be there. That and the castmembers! They are awesome. They take the experience of being there from good to great. :thumbsup2

But the rooms.....they really are equal to super 8.

We are also waiting for FD but will go no matter what. If we get FD we all get our own meals...If no FD we split meals like we usually do. But I do hope! for FD.

Hmmm... I would say more like a Comfort/Quality Inn. Not as nice as a Hampton Inn even. But a notch above Super 8. We have stayed at Super 8/Econolodge, etc but DH has said never again as the rooms feel a bit grungy...even though they are clean. Value rooms don't have that grungy feel. They feel simple, basic and to the point.... Like a Comfort Inn.

Back to FD...it really makes a Disney trip "cheap" in comparison to other places. It would be hard for me to justify a WDW trip over another trip. I would still want to go, but I will likely be tempted to skip my next trip and go somewhere else.

Hmmm... I would say more like a Comfort/Quality Inn. Not as nice as a Hampton Inn even. But a notch above Super 8. We have stayed at Super 8/Econolodge, etc but DH has said never again as the rooms feel a bit grungy...even though they are clean. Value rooms don't have that grungy feel. They feel simple, basic and to the point.... Like a Comfort Inn.

Back to FD...it really makes a Disney trip "cheap" in comparison to other places. It would be hard for me to justify a WDW trip over another trip. I would still want to go, but I will likely be tempted to skip my next trip and go somewhere else.

I totally agree not at all grungy or dirty... just simple and basic. ::yes::

I found a great price on airline tickets so we are going to Orlando! BUT if no FD then we will try offsite for the first time. :sad2: If that happens then we will go to Universal and Sea World too.

Just a quick FYI: IF free QS is only offered at your resort called Disney and ask if you have a discount or upgrade to your name. (try all the names in your party if needed)

I went in December 2009, only free QS for value resorts however I had a free upgrade to the DP. :thumbsup2

No, we definitely won't go without FD. We are not even supposed to be going to Disney at all this year, but I would at least have a chance of talking DH into it if FD is offered again.

When you have 2 teenagers, FD makes a trip to Disney more affordable than most other trips where you have to pay for food. We used to take driving trips out west (South Dakota, Yellowstone, etc.) most summers when my kids were younger, but unfortunately, with the price of gas nowadays and the cost of feeding 4 adult appetites for 10 or 11 days, those vacations have taken a back seat to DW with FD the last 4 years. Without free food, and with all the price increases at DW the past few years, other vacation destinations match up much more favorably to a Disney vacation.

And just to clarify, I LOVE DW and would vacation there 10 times a year if I could. :love:

I received an email today from Universal for 40% their resorts. I can't wait for Disney any longer! :worried: We are booked for 3 nights at Hard Rock Hotel. :hyper: . It was tempting to book our whole trip there. I still might.

I received an email today from Universal for 40% their resorts. I can't wait for Disney any longer! :worried: We are booked for 3 nights at Hard Rock Hotel. :hyper: . It was tempting to book our whole trip there. I still might.

I also got the 40% off Universal resorts email for the dates I am waiting for from Disney. Its good marketing on their part to get ahead of Disney with the offers. I have never been to Universal so it is tempting. I think my DS's would love it. The waiting game and all the other offers I am getting to vacation elsewhere is starting to make me crazy!!:confused:

I too got the 40% off email from universal. I haven't called yet but may later. Wish you could book it online

I don't know anything about Universal in Orlando, but if it is anything like the Hollywood one, it doesn't even compare to Disney. I'll have to check into it, because I couldn't imagine spending more than a few hours at the Hollywood one, much less days.

I don't know anything about Universal in Orlando, but if it is anything like the Hollywood one, it doesn't even compare to Disney. I'll have to check into it, because I couldn't imagine spending more than a few hours at the Hollywood one, much less days.

Universal Orlando is nothing like Universal Hollywood. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter