• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Who WON'T go if there is no FD in Aug/Sept?

We are going this year, but this will be our last year for awhile. Other places to see in the dollar range WDW is now.

We plan on going with or without the free dining but am definitely hoping for it. I love getting what I feel is a good value. We haven't been to Disney since 2010 and I am missing it.

Looking at all these posts makes me think Disney won't offer free dining !

1. With all these people holding reservations the rooms appear to be pretty full for this year !
2. Bounce back for free dining this fall was pulled early in December due to the overwhelming response from guests! Maybe they already met their goal ?

Any how good luck to others!:thumbsup2

I stated somewhere else, maybe on this thread, that we would not book without FD.

Well...we booked some weeks ago. Free Dining would be great, but we would not be sad if it's not offered.

:wizard:

We will still go if there is no FD, but our dining plans will be quite down scaled. We'll stick to a couple character breakfasts and the rest we'll eat in our room. A couple nice dinners and the rest will be counter service. I'll still be very happy to be back at Disney though :cool1:

We cannot afford to go to WDW without FD. For a 9 day trip with 4 people at a value the cost difference is at least $1000 if Disney instead offers a 20% room discount at values. Sure we could go and eat at cheap counter service places and snacks instead of a TS nightly but thats a big part of what we enjoy. I cannot afford that extra $1000+ especially since airfare has skyrocketed making the total cost higher than prior years.

We cannot afford to go to WDW without FD. For a 9 day trip with 4 people at a value the cost difference is at least $1000 if Disney instead offers a 20% room discount at values. Sure we could go and eat at cheap counter service places and snacks instead of a TS nightly but thats a big part of what we enjoy. I cannot afford that extra $1000+ especially since airfare has skyrocketed making the total cost higher than prior years.

I'm with you! Some people do not understand what a struggle it is for some to go to WDW. I know I know if you can't afford it don't go! BUT I love WDW as much as everyone else so I will try my hardest to get there. If I have to depend on discounts so be it. At least I can get to go!! Not everyone has enough money to go without discounts so if we keep looking and hoping it's not hurting anyone!!!!

And I'm not saying that Disney owes us anything just nice to get a discount especially free dining when you have a family cause it sure costs a lot to eat out! If once a year or so we get to go with free dining, YIPPEE!!!!

Well an interesting turn of events. I have been trying like mad to plan a vacation anywhere else BUT Disney for the last week of August. We've gone twice a year for a few years and I am ready for a break. Two things are happening. One.. the kids only want Disney. They aren't stomping their feet about other places, but there's really no excitement there.
Two.. It working out to cost as much or more than our Disney trips to go anywhere else:headache:

So I can book a cabin in the mountains, and I would love it. But by the time we do the siteseeing we want, plus the driving, plus factoring in kids who would prefer something else.. I almost wonder if we shouldn't just go back:rolleyes1

Even without free dining, we could stay in a value or mod or rent points and eat mostly counter service and spend the same as the other trips I am pricing. I don't know what to do.

Disney needs to stop raising prices by 7-10% a year if they intend to cut back deals, doing both might look good on paper but does not really increase profits as it reduces per person spending and trip duration as well increasing customer expectations and reducing overall value. All these things work out great for offsite business and cruise lines but not so great for Disney.

I feel they need to start offering better bounce back deals with longer availability windows, along with continuing most discounts. A repeat visitor helps Disney in many ways and should be recognized for that.

I help at least 2 or 5 groups of people each day I'm at Disney, answering questions, giving directions, helping with buses etc. You might argue I don't do that to get paid or get perks and I would agree totally with you, but if we can't afford to go as often or at all, that's less people we can help, and that little extra help sometimes makes the magic.

I know one of the things I remember most when I started going to Disney, was an older couple from NY. They helped us figure out where to eat when one of the seasonal quick service spots we had planned on going to was closed, they took 15 minutes out of there busy day and gave us several suggestions on food, POI's etc. That couple was one of the reasons I went back a second time.

Well an interesting turn of events. I have been trying like mad to plan a vacation anywhere else BUT Disney for the last week of August. We've gone twice a year for a few years and I am ready for a break. Two things are happening. One.. the kids only want Disney. They aren't stomping their feet about other places, but there's really no excitement there.
Two.. It working out to cost as much or more than our Disney trips to go anywhere else:headache:

So I can book a cabin in the mountains, and I would love it. But by the time we do the siteseeing we want, plus the driving, plus factoring in kids who would prefer something else.. I almost wonder if we shouldn't just go back:rolleyes1

Even without free dining, we could stay in a value or mod or rent points and eat mostly counter service and spend the same as the other trips I am pricing. I don't know what to do.

My opinion - GO TO DISNEY!
But remember I am a DISNEY freak!:goodvibes

Makes no difference. We had DDP for our spring trip and we are already booked for the fall offsite. For a month now.

How about a cabin at Fort Wilderness? You get your cabin the woods, minus the mountains, the kids get Disney, and the full kitchen helps keep food costs low. :)

How about a cabin at Fort Wilderness? You get your cabin the woods, minus the mountains, the kids get Disney, and the full kitchen helps keep food costs low. :)

That is a wonderful idea. But we did it last summer:rotfl2:

I found a good price on the flights today and had a credit so I rebooked them (Southwest so I can cancel if we change our minds again).

However I am not going to say anything to the kids until Dh and I are sure and then maybe we'll surprise them right before we go;)

I know, I had this same thing happen! We priced out 3 other vacations thoroughly like we do our Dis vaca's and they all came out more expensive for less days and the one that came close was more of a relax on the beach vaca w/no extras or excursions. So Disney won-more days and more fun!!!

We will still go but we will go offsite if there isn't a discount. My DS14 and DD8 are getting too old to share a bed so we are looking at a family suite. I have a spreadsheet comparing the cost with a Windsor Hills 2br condo. The Condo with all costs included (rental car, gas, etc) comes out about $1k cheaper. I would rather stay on property and am willing to pay a little more to do so, but $1k is a lot to swallow.

Just need to say I have seen, priced and been on cheaper vacations. My kids MUCH prefer to go to Williamsburg, which is cheaper, but I prefer Disney. Also many cruises are cheaper. Camping is cheaper. Washington DC cheaper, and I am sure there are others.

I have nothing against Disney. I just don't agree that it is as cheap as *any* other vacation.

We love Williamsburg also and it's only a few hour car ride for us. That means no airfare so yea it's a lot cheaper for us!!! :0) We do that every other and usually do Disney every other. I budget for Disney and assume no free dining because we love Disney just as much....we will go either way! Some type of discount will come out especially for that time of year. We would like to see FD but even if they do it this year...I really think it will soon be a thing of the past!! :wave2:

I'm interested in free dining as a possibility if we come to disney for a few nights before our dvc stay (not sure yet tho).

But...For those looking for a more cost effective way to do disney if free dining is not offered, what about renting DVC points as an alternative to save some money? With a 1BR you have a full kitchen, can order groceries online and do some cooking in your room or use the grills. It's kind of fun putting together meals with everyone together somewhere different than home. My grandkids still remember our spagetti night at Animal Kingdom Kidani, and breakfast on the balcony at OKW, and having popcorn & cheese n crackers and veggies n dip, while watching a DVD in the living room after swimming at OKW. They remember that stuff more than they remember most of the rides.

Even with a studio (if you don't have too many people for the occupancy), you have a fridge/toaster/microwave/coffee maker, kitchen sink, dishes etc.

We had a studio at SSR, and we grilled on the grills by the pool a few times! you can microwave leftovers too. and there are a lot of things that work with a microwave. And we don't rent a car, and we use garden grocer.

And, the points in september (typical free dining season) are less than other times during the year. I rented several times before buying points. Good luck!

Just an option to consider, of course it doesn't work for everyone, especially if you don't have a lot of resort time, and are primarly in the parks on vacation.

We'll still be going to Disney no matter if anything comes out. However it has certainly crossed my mind to boycott for a year or two. If we all joined forces, made a plan not to go for X amount of months/years, perhaps they would get the message. The problem is you would need alot of boycotters and boycotters who would stick with it. I'm not sure I'm one that could... unless they keep screwing up fastpass and Extra Magic hours...

I think it all depends how you do it ... Its not the cheapest, but value for dollar, and even overall cost, it can be pretty cheap. I've done the research, and with the help of the great people on this board, and particularly the discounts thread, although also tickets and resort threads ... we have it figured out pretty well.

How we are rolling it....

Tickets
Only buy tickets once every 2 trips and always save on tickets.
Buy discounted 5day or 10 day park hoppers, then upgrade them at the park on the day of arrival. They upgrade them from the COST of the ticket you upgrade, not what you pay, so its easy to save 100-200$ on APs right there.

If you stagger your trips, ie: you know you like to go in May, so first year you go May 15-29, next year you go May 1-14. You only have to buy tickets Once every 2 years. At this rate its 200-250 per AP per person per trip.

On top of this, of course, get a tables in wonderland card and BAM saving 20%on many many many of the purchases you make, including food and drink.

Book only during discounts, book bouncebacks, 20-30% off, and also opens you to AP rates, etc.

The Room -
Book 13 days, Sunday - Friday, (by avoiding the second Friday/Saturday night you save a couple hundred dollars)

A Mod ... Say POR at this rate is around $2000
A value ... Pop Cent ... 1350.

2000 for 13 days, 153/day
1350 for 13 days, 103/day
Tickets added for us (only 2 people)
Mod 96/person/day
Value 67/person/day

(Keep in mind that this actually gets cheaper per person if you add in kids, as there is no additional room charge, but there is additional ticket charge, however on balance this brings down the cost significantly per person per day)

Of course, add in your meals, but again, TiW card -20%, and well, you have to pay for food where ever you go ... in one way or another.

Now keep in mind, this is a HUGE resort, with many many attactions, massive fireworks displays every night, built in transport to and from the airport and around the resort. There is a TON of value here, especially if you do it right.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter