• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Who Wants To Try a DIS-Meet At Gulf State Park In May-June 2016?

Kinda like hwy 45 in Alabama. It's 2 lane all the way to Mississippi. Talk about a log jam. It's the main route for eastern Mississippi and western Alabama to get to the coast and it's 2 lane when you cross into Alabama. Lot of wrecks.

Last edited:
Yeah Hwy 45 has them truck passing lanes every so offen, you gotta be on your game it you need to pass someone.

I say legends.

Maybe start a future trend of Disers meeting up yearly at CGs centrally located like the Smokies or GSP. You know, some of us are close to each other and could do it. Not just those of us down south.

I say legends.
Probably more like legends for being banned.

Maybe start a future trend of Disers meeting up yearly at CGs centrally located like the Smokies or GSP. You know, some of us are close to each other and could do it. Not just those of us down south.
This could be fun, but a little disappointing. As nice as GSP is, nothing is the Fort.

And some of us are north of the Mason-Dixon. When you say down south up here, you're speaking of southern Illinois (aka anything south of Cook County). :teeth:

j

So for you experienced GSP guys, if I request something in the vicinity of the 70's area that would put me within quick walking distance to the fellow DISers? 41' FW and LB truck - any specific sites or areas I should request. Thinking 2-3 days and then heading to Fort.

Dmax, you thinking of bringing bikes?

If Sumac is filled up your next best bet will be Quail or Bear road sites 123-185. You might be able to score a site on Raccoon road close by, say less than 191. I can't get to the website to check availability right now to see what the options are.

Last year I stayed on Bear Road and was easily able to walk over to Ed's site on Sumac Road.

The kids will have bikes for sure, and we are likely to as well. I'll check the online site. No idea they had an availability checker.

Question on the bike trails. Are they paved pathways or is it trails? If paved how many miles is it? Are the trails more suitable for a mountain bike or can you take a road bike?

dmaxphil, your thinking of GSP and the Fort, I was wondering where your from? The southeast some where?

garneska, I'm not for sure but I believe the trails are not paved, but the park is a good size so a road bike or mountain bike would work, we take our beach cruisers when we go.

I like the idea of making it a annual meetings, Gatlinburg sounds good! We love going to new places, maybe we could add Key West and of course Fort Wilderness to the list, if we could all requested the same loop... that would be cool!

Last edited:
There are literally miles of trails. The web site says there are 7 different ones. They have a line separating the lanes. Here is a picture of the main trail leading out of the back of the campground. There are some unpaved trails you can walk or bike on.

Last edited:
Hey I just learned the have geocaching along the trails. Might have to get my daughter in on that.

The Backcountry Trails are paved and are a hidden treasure.

Flametamr posted the links. The primary trail is the one he pictured that is an old 2-lane road from 60 years ago. Others are about as wide as a golf cart path but again they are paved.

There are some places where in order to make loops the bike trail puts you on the shoulder of a road. Some, like the beach highway, have a designated bike lane on the shoulder. There is one spot in a low traffic location between the campground entrance and the trailhead/golf course access point on Road 2 with no bike lane.

Kris, of interest to you might be that they use these paved trails in several half and full marathons from November to March. Some of the course maps even show coming right down the middle of the campground on the main road.

We always bring the bikes to GSP. I am going to try riding my bike to walmart next time i need groceries.

Bama Ed

Also, unless I'm missing something, there is no online availability checker for the campground as was mentioned earlier. Says you have to call.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter