• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Who Wants To Try a DIS-Meet At Gulf State Park In May-June 2016?

That only leaves Teamubr!
I'm not sure I'm the best one to keep everybody out of trouble. My first response to the old question, "What 3 words would you say to your friend if you both ended up in jail?", is "That was fun!"

I am a nurse in case we do anything seriously stupid. :-)

And I'm good with historic stuff, beach party stuff, even shopping as long as it doesn't turn into an 8 hour ordeal.

j

I'm an emergency medicine nurse practitioner so hello Brother.

Yeah, I'm a history nerd. I always like that kind of stuff. I could spend all day on the USS Alabama and after 30 minutes my wife and kids would be like "Can we go now?"

Well like Allstate, I'm in good hands. Haha,

Hey now count me in on anything to do with history, I love it all. Going to the Smithsonian is in the top 3 on my bucket list. The past two Disney trips I've wanted to do the Behind the Steam Tour at Magic Kingdom, I can't talk any of my bunch into getting up early enough to go. Well in February I'm going even if is by myself, (I am my own best friend ya know). I'm sure I'll met some other history/train buffs on the tour. Has any of yall ever been on the Behind the Steam Tour?

But hey I'm down for any kind of historical stuff, we can drop the ladies at the Outlets and head out!

Well like Allstate, I'm in good hands. Haha,

Hey now count me in on anything to do with history, I love it all. Going to the Smithsonian is in the top 3 on my bucket list. The past two Disney trips I've wanted to do the Behind the Steam Tour at Magic Kingdom, I can't talk any of my bunch into getting up early enough to go. Well in February I'm going even if is by myself, (I am my own best friend ya know). I'm sure I'll met some other history/train buffs on the tour. Has any of yall ever been on the Behind the Steam Tour?

But hey I'm down for any kind of historical stuff, we can drop the ladies at the Outlets and head out!

I believe I read a post before where Bama Ed did the Steam trains tour. I am trying to talk the wife into it when we are there in Feb.

I did ED and surgical, burn, trauma ICU for a long time. Ran the trauma service for about 3 years. I've been in administration for quite a while now. I manage performance improvement and IS. Did my Masters in Healthcare Informatics instead of something truly clinical. I'm as much of a data/computer nerd as I am clinical and figured I could have a bigger impact doing this.

Yeah, I'm a history nerd. I always like that kind of stuff. I could spend all day on the USS Alabama and after 30 minutes my wife and kids would be like "Can we go now?"
Ha! We've been to the USS Alabama and Drum before. Ft Morgan and the Pensacola NAS Museum a couple of times. My mom was a big "fort" historian, so we went to a lot of them. DW and DS are "ok" with them, but don't enjoy wandering around looking at everything as much as I do.

The past two Disney trips I've wanted to do the Behind the Steam Tour at Magic Kingdom,
I have said the next trip to the Fort, I am doing the steam train tour. I've read a few people's posts on DIS that have taken it and, for the train enthusiast, it is a lot of fun.

j

I've done the Steam Train tour and it was well worth it.

I'd like to work in a Keys To The Kingdom tour this trip if I can swing it in the budget somehow.

A nice day trip would be to visit Fort Morgan, walk onto the Dauphin Island ferry and cruise over to DI, and visit either Fort Gaines there or the Estuarium. Then ferry back to the car at Fort Morgan.

Bama Ed

Count me in on any Magic Kingdom tour. Randy I would go with you if I could get there in February. But that's Mardi Gras time and I have way too much invested there. As far as other historic stuff the wife and I are both into that.

I've done the Steam Train tour and it was well worth it.

I'd like to work in a Keys To The Kingdom tour this trip if I can swing it in the budget somehow.

A nice day trip would be to visit Fort Morgan, walk onto the Dauphin Island ferry and cruise over to DI, and visit either Fort Gaines there or the Estuarium. Then ferry back to the car at Fort Morgan.

Bama Ed

You pick the day. I've yet to get to tour Fort Gaines. It rained us out last year.

I'm in

Yeah, I'm down for a tour of Ft Gaines, I've been there before but it was back in school on a field trip. A buddy of mine is the Captain on the research/ day trip boat at the Estuarium. I can talk to him and see about the tours they have. I know he takes tourist out for a couple of hours and pulls a shrimp net and you get to see how it all works.

About the Behind the Steam Tour at Magic Kingdom, thanks for the comments, I know now I'm going even if it's byself. I'll plan it for the day we go to MK that way the rest of my bunch can met me there afterwards. We took the Behind the Magic Tour back in 2013, and we loved it, so I know that the BtST will be good too.

Count me in on any Magic Kingdom tour. Randy I would go with you if I could get there in February. But that's Mardi Gras time and I have way too much invested there. As far as other historic stuff the wife and I are both into that.

I know what you mean about Mardi Gras, I have a few friends that are in the Mobile Condes and Mobile Mystics. All that stuff adds up fast. The balls are fun, we haven't been to one in a while. Some friends park their camper up at RV City, we would go hang out with them and then to the parade. My wife is a 1st grade teacher, so we use the Mardi Gras holiday for our Disney trips, it beats going in the summer time heat.

I know we only have 6 months before the Big Annual DIS Friends Campout (Bad FC), but for those that live in the MS/AL/GA area. Google maps says I have several routes that are all within 10 minutes of each other for the total 11:20 trip. I was wondering which one is better than others.

I'm coming from the NE suburbs of St Louis. Edwardsville, IL specifically.

First option is to come down I-55 to north of Jackson, MS. Take 19 to Meridian and then 45 to Mobile. Looks like nearly half the trip (5 hrs) is on 2 lanes, or at least non-interstate.

Second option is the route I take to Destin. StL to Nashville. Pick up I-65 and run it as far south as I need to before taking the last hour or so to the park. This route keeps me on interstates for nearly the entire trip, but adds 60+ miles.

What do you think?

j

Teamubr, my dad and I went to Minnesota back in 03 deer hunting. We ran I-55, from Jackson on north. But we took Hwy 45 south from Jackson to Hattiesburg then Hwy 98 east to where it crosses Hwy 63, take Hwy 63 south to I-10, in Moss Point, Ms. Then east on I -10 to the promise land of Alabama, it's all 4 lane with 55 and 65 mph speed limits. Mississippi is all about nice 4 lane roads, Alabama not so much... Hope this helps

Teamubr,

I live in Meridian, MS so I can help you out with this. I live not far off of Hwy 19. When I go to Disney or to GSP I go hwy 45 south, it is easy for me to get onto hwy 45 from my house. Now, take Southalabama5er example (smiling as I write this...)

Randy came up to Meridian this past summer to visit with us and camped not far from my house, a campground just off of Hwy 19 on Okatibbee Lake. He came up Hwy 45 to Meridian and then transited over to Hwy 19 to get to the campground. Now at this point I'll invite @SouthAlabama5er to give his description of how easy (NOT!) it is to get from Hwy 19 to Hwy 45 in Meridian. (I'm sure he'll post shortly)

My advice is what Randy suggested. Interstate 55 to Jackson, MS. Look for the exit to the right, it will say Meridian/Hattiesburg. You'll exit off right here and be in a gradual 2 lane curve to the left. You'll need to stay in the right lane because when you come out of the curve there will be another split in front of you, going left will go to Meridian while right will take you to Hattiesburg (Hwy 49). Hattiesburg is home to my alma mater The University of Southern Mississippi (fixing to be the Conference USA champs. Go Eagles!). Stay on Hwy 49 into Hattiesburg and you'll go under Interstate 59 and soon see the football stadium on the right as you pass by the campus. Keep on going to Hwy 98 which will lead to Hwy 63 and take Hwy 63 to I-10. Basically, follow Randy's suggestion as it is the best route, but he took Hwy 49, not Hwy 45 north to Jackson. Hwy 45 from Mobile leads to me in Meridian (still waiting for Randy's description of his trip through Meridian...)

Don't listen to Google Map App anywhere near Meridian, Ms. Being a guy, I didn't call Tiggerdad on the directions. I went down some back streets of back streets on the bad side of town, so with the doors locked I managed to find the main road. I still don't know how I didn't knock off the A/C of the camper.

I came to the fact if I see a sign saying no trucks allowed while I'm towing the camper, I take it to heart!

or keep from having his tires stolen at one of the crime spots...er...I mean stop lights.

When I drive through that area not only do I carry a gun, I carry a big one...

With the barrel sticking out the window...

and the safety off...

Thanks for the I-55 route directions. So most everything from where I jump off I-55 to Mobile is 4 lane? I'm good with that. The first time we went to Gulf Shores, we did the Jackson through Hattiesburg. Picked up 98 through Lucedale and on to Mobile route, but most of it from Jackson on was a 2 lane PIA. This was back in the 80s. I do remember a lot of side of the road weaved basket stands. (And by "stand", I mean lawn chair and maybe a table.)

j

Yep, you were in Mississippi all right. Yes, majority is now 4 lane.

I agree with what others have said. Avoid 98 coming into Alabama. Last week on the two lane section a guy pulling a fifth wheel crossed lanes and hit someone head on. He perished as well as the other driver. Locally we call it Bloody 98 for that reason. Many lives have been lost there. On top of that if you follow the actual 98 route signs it is ridiculous and takes you down through town when I-65 easily takes you to I-10 and around town but no signs suggest that route. Only thing to add is if you do come through Mobile on I-10 east bound be aware the traffic backs up at the tunnel. It gets bad on Friday afternoons. Add in holiday traffic it is a major problem. Try to get through the tunnel before noon on Fridays.

Last edited:
Yeah Hwy 98 is bad once you cross over into Alabama, it's two lane with alot of curves, alot of truck traiffic in and out of Mobile, out side Mobile it goes to 4 lane but there is around 4,000 red lights til you get to I-65. I always avoid it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter