Who Wants To Try a DIS-Meet At Gulf State Park In May-June 2016?

Tiggerdad, you just made Bert's day. We were planning on going to the museum but now we are going Wednesday to watch the blue angels practice. Little background, I met Bert while he was a 2nd Lt at Wright Patt, I was a civilian, while he waited to go to pilot training. He spent a little time in Mississippi before he was discharged due to asthma. So yes we will be there with bells on.

If anyone wants to go see the Blue Angels fly we are always up for that. But plan an early start and a pretty long day if your going to see all the museum. I also recommend the Lighthouse tour across the road. The museum and Blue Angels practice are free. There is a fee to see the I-max films and to tour the Lighthouse.

I was looking into some new stuff for the family and we have never done the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola, FL.
Michael,

I've been over to the NAS a couple of times. Well worth the trip. I usually save it for a rainy day, but we will definitely be making the trip this go around.

As long as you unhook I feel certain you will be fine.
Flametamr,

Thanks for the pic and the offer to swing by. If your pic is typical of the sites, I'll be fine. Looks like there is plenty of room to roll in deep if I needed to.

Where are the electrical hookups? Midway down the side or at the back? I have a 25ft 50 amp cord, but I haven't bought a 50 amp extension yet. I have a 30ft 30 amp extension, but the 50amp cords are EXPENSIVE.

j

I actually grew up in Pensacola and have gone to the museum my whole life. There is limited seating for the air show practice so we have should arrive early. They will let you in but you would have to stand or bring a chair. That practice day June 1 is a museum day for the flight team. Which means after they land they come in and sign autographs for about an hour. If that's your thing run and get in line right after the show ends. Each pair of pilots has a separate line and they are long. People are always turned away due to time limits. If anyone wants to do other stuff in Pensacola I am willing to help guide some. There are some great places to eat there day or night. I can even throw in a little night life.

Last edited:

All my hook ups have been midway of the site on the left. They have a 50/30 amp service and two 110 outlets. Water and sewer in right next to the electrical tower. I think your 50/25 ft cord will be just fine. You will need that extra power for the air conditioner your gonna need.You can see the set up here. There are some pull through site that you can park either direction and put the services on the right side. I don't think any of our group has those reserved.

Last edited:
I don't forsee any of you having any trouble at GSP. Those sites are plenty big for all of you. If Randy can get that F450 of his and that 42 foot Sandpiper in there you all are in good shape.

Yeah, I've never had any problems at GSP fitting my monstrosity of a 5er and truck in a site. But if I do have a problem I know Ed will have some extra room and for a small nominal fee he will let me park my truck on his site. :lmao:

Last edited:

Yes the pedestals are far enough away for slides. My old one as you see had only a 2 foot slide. But my new one has a 5 foot slide and it was no problem. I always park on the left edge too to get more pavement to walk on. I hate sand in my camper.

Yes the pedestals are far enough away for slides. My old one as you see had only a 2 foot slide. But my new one has a 5 foot slide and it was no problem. I always park on the left edge too to get more pavement to walk on. I hate sand in my camper.

Amen! I hug that left border as tight as I can without hitting the pedestals. GSP are plenty of distance away.

One other thing, do please open them slowly when hooking up. Last year I took a red wasp direct hit right between the eyes when I opened up that pedestal in May. I can still see him coming at me in slow motion...

Wow! This post has hit 19 pages and nearly 9500 views! Man, that snowball we started rolling last year has really picked up some momentum and size Ed.

For a laugh, I ventured back to that original thread from last year when Ed and I met up down at GSP. What's funny is that throughout that post several of you chimed in saying it looked like fun and you might consider giving it a try. So far, all of you who did have a site booked for this trip. If you want to go back and see it, Ed posted a the link on page one.

With this much of a following I sure hope we can live up to the hype.

Wow! This post has hit 19 pages and nearly 9500 views! Man, that snowball we started rolling last year has really picked up some momentum and size Ed.

For a laugh, I ventured back to that original thread from last year when Ed and I met up down at GSP. What's funny is that throughout that post several of you chimed in saying it looked like fun and you might consider giving it a try. So far, all of you who did have a site booked for this trip. If you want to go back and see it, Ed posted a the link on page one.

With this much of a following I sure hope we can live up to the hype.

We hope for a better showing then the Panthers delivered in the Superbowl.

Yeah and we still have 3.5 months to go. And 9,500 views? I think the Fort squirrels have shown their Gulf equivalents the click bait, so to speak. That's a lot of clicks.:surfweb:

But hey, I'm getting ready for Gulf as well as the Fort coming up. Got a new pair of flip flops yesterday (after the seasonal slipper selection got taken out) so I'm sure spring and summer are just around the corner. :beach:

Bama Ed

PS - maybe next week I'll start looking for sunscreen. :cool1:

Wow! This post has hit 19 pages and nearly 9500 views!... What's funny is that throughout that post several of you chimed in saying it looked like fun and you might consider giving it a try. So far, all of you who did have a site booked for this trip.
That's pretty cool. I remember reading about your trip last year and thinking, "That could be fun. I haven't been to Gulf Shores in about 10 years." Low and behold, here we are with reservations.

Actually, I think this says a lot about the Camping Forum. We get along well enough, sharing an affection for the Fort, that we actually want to meet each other outside of WDW. Some of the forums on the DIS, I'd be afraid to meet some of the 'regulars'. :-)

j

I'm sure there will be plenty of cameras but we need to remember to get a group picture of all of us on the day or two everyone is there. Maybe during the shrimp boil. For some reason I always seem to forget that. Bishop I am looking forward to it too. I am returning to work part time now to help pay for my Disney addiction. I'm hoping work does not interfere with the meet. My family and camper will be there the whole time. I may be in and out though. I'm planning a drive thru today or Friday and will report back on the two sites that need the extra length.

Last edited:
Looks like ticket prices range from $44.50 to $124.50 on Ticketmaster.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter