Who on this board has the most points?

Originally posted by Debbie H
We purchased 2000 points in May, 1992.

Boy, were you smart. We joined in 1992 also but only started with the prerequisite 230. We have added on numerous times at higher prices of course. We have 1250. How do you use your 2000? What is the 2000 club??

Hi Icy, we saw it coming. One the purchase price was bound to escalate (which it did) and that our initial purchase of 1000 points would be used up quickly during the course of a use year and rather than face the frustration of 'running' out of points we went back the day after our initial purchase and maxed out at 2000. I was lucky enough to be able to afford it and felt this was a second home which would be used for tax purposes and also full the need for a place in WDW almost any time I wanted. The sales guide said to us oh you are now members of the '2000 point club' because at the time we were one of the few who had that many points. It's nothing official.

We usually save our points for an annual DCL cruise with or withou a WDW stay, a week for spring break, a two week break in August before the the kids go back to school and send my wife's folks down for a week in Sept.

There have been times when we have had to borrow points believe it or not. But most of the time we end up with a surplus of a hundred points or so.

I hope that answers your questions. DVC was the best investment I ever made and guess what...It's paid for! Wes

a second home which would be used for tax purposes

Really? You can claim Orlando FL being your 2nd home for tax purposes? What does it mean? Do you file tax returns as a FL resident, getting driver's license, getting FL resident discount?

Just curious.

You can use your tax portion of your dues as a tax deduction on a condo. I guess that can be considered a "second" home. I beleive it is the same as a property tax deduction for your home on your federal tax.

I hope I have not ignited a controversy here. When you purchase a DVC membership you get a deed on Fla. property at LBV. You own, in our case, about 10 square feet of one of the buildings, i forget which one, and the deed says that. Well, if it's a legal deed from the state of Fla, then it can be considered a second home according to my accountant in 1992. We deducted the interest on the mortgage as one(at least at the time) was able to do under then current tax laws. The DVC people are forbidden by law to mention any of the tax implications so it was up to my accountant to give me the official okey-doke. He had no problem with it. I claimed it as a second home which I happen to share with a whole bunch of friends. At the time it seemed like a no-brainer and still does. Hope my accountant and I were correct. Wes

Originally posted by Debbie H
Hi Icy, we saw it coming. One the purchase price was bound to escalate (which it did) and that our initial purchase of 1000 points would be used up quickly during the course of a use year and rather than face the frustration of 'running' out of points we went back the day after our initial purchase and maxed out at 2000. I was lucky enough to be able to afford it and felt this was a second home which would be used for tax purposes and also full the need for a place in WDW almost any time I wanted. The sales guide said to us oh you are now members of the '2000 point club' because at the time we were one of the few who had that many points. It's nothing official.

We usually save our points for an annual DCL cruise with or withou a WDW stay, a week for spring break, a two week break in August before the the kids go back to school and send my wife's folks down for a week in Sept.

There have been times when we have had to borrow points believe it or not. But most of the time we end up with a surplus of a hundred points or so.

I hope that answers your questions. DVC was the best investment I ever made and guess what...It's paid for! Wes

That sounds great. we have points all over the place, OKW has the most then BWV, then BCV and then a measly 150 in Vero. We usually vacation when school is in session since we are retired. This makes the points go a little further. We are going in the beginning of December in a two bdrm OKW with SILs and in April with my Stepkids and grandkids in a BC in Vero. My kids went in March for a few days at OKW and we are sending another set to Vero for a needed vacation at the beach in an INN room. We are also going down for a week after Labor Day to a standard one bdrm at BWV. We didn't even know about these standard rooms untill I started to get involved with the forums.

With all this we will still have points left over for something else. Not too shabby I believe. I still wish I had bought all those points when you did. I love OKW and could have "survived" just going there. Your cost per point is so cheap that you will make a big profit, which is unheard of in Timeshare.
All our pts are long since paid for too, especially OKW, which it turns out was the bargain of the century!
Marylyn

My husband is a CPA and we deduct the tax from our DCV, also he has a few clients who are DVC owners and he always reminds them to bring their DVC statement in with their other tax papers.

650 Total

(HH - 400)
(VWL - 150)
(VB - 100)

And always looking for a good deal!

Rae

Bought 150 in Jan. 2000 at BWV, then added 50 VB in June 2002, would like to add another 50-100 at VB before it sells out!! Small change compared to most but it allows my family of 5 to take 2 Disney Vacations per year with some creative point spending (love those Sun. - Fri. stays!!:cool: )

Ok I am checking in Alltough I am now where the top ten very happy with my 850 pts.
220 HH pt in 96
100 HH pts in 98
210 Bw pts 00
220 Wl pts 01
100Wl pt 01

Dues are avout 250 per month Vacations Priceless
Brenda

Originally posted by goofyforwdw
Dues are avout 250 per month Vacations Priceless
Brenda

Isn't that the truth!!!!!!!!

I just wish we knew about it sooner than we did and got in earlier for the value and savings! But at least we are members now!!

Rae

We own 510 but................ heading home in august. SSHHH don't tell DH, we ahve an appointment with our guide :)

I just thought of a related question...do you ever feel that you may have too many points and won't find time to use them all in a given year?

We just added 100 to our 170 at BWV and there's 4 of us and I'm afraid we'll keep carrying over so many that by 2005 or 2006 we'll have SO many points. I know I know, we can definitely use them on a bigger room or at the GF or something like that, but do any of you worry about this? Do you rent them out if this happens?

I'd rather have too many than too few! Don't get me wrong!

We live in NE and only go once a year. There is no way my DH would want to go more than that, although I'd LOVE to go by myself or with the girls someday but there's airfare to consider.

Can't wait to play it all out. I've already planned this year and next year and I'm working on 2005!;)

:eek: To us, we could never have too many points. I only wish we could afford the dues on about another 300 points. Most of the time we run out of points and have had to borrow a few from next year. Of course, being this close to WDW, we do go quite often. :p :smooth:

I am new here and I cannot get over the amount of points some of you have. I thought I had alot with my 400 points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter