• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Who does the most WDW trip planning...women or men?

W

wdisneelvr

I have been planning/organizing all our family trips since I can remember. Where to go on vacation (wdw of course) hotels, rental cars, dining etc. But my brother does all the vacation planning in his family all on excel spreadsheets right down to the minute.lol.

So who plans more the women or the men? :surfweb:

I do all the planning for our family. Sometimes I will ask DH to help me make a decision and he always answers "Whatever you plan will be fantastic, so just pick" which is nice from the flattery stand-point but stressful when I really can't decide!!! I'm such a Type A OCD control freak though, it really works best this way. If he were to plan it, I would be climbing the walls and terrified he'd forget something.

I do the planning in our house. My DH thinks all this planning is a bit insane. Of course when we get there and all my planning makes things run smoothly he's glad I did it.

I think my DH and I are pretty even with the planning. He does the budget and I do the packing. Together we choose the packages (flights/travel/hotel/tickets) and the whole family comes together on their "must-dos" so that we can all be equal since this is our family trip. Every family dinner leading up to our last trip always included a few minutes with the iPad out and a WDW topic to discuss (dining, which parks/what day, shows, characters...etc).

In my house it's me. I do all the vacation planning for every vacation. When I'm paying a ton of money for vacations, I don't want to miss the best stuff so I do the planning.

My husband is a play it by ear person no matter where he goes. And it doesn't always work out for him.

That's why when he went to Disney for a convention, he and his friend had a very difficult time getting into TS restaurants a couple of weeks ago. He was able to get into the Wave once and Coral Reef once and the rest of the time they couldn't get into any TS restaurants.
Good thing they were paying OOP.

:) I do the annual organizing of the Disney Spreadsheet. DH just OKs the ADRs and hard ticket nights. Most of it is up to me. I really worry what he would do with the DVC points if something ever happened to me....he really has no clue. He does appreciated the TS reservations at his favorite places and as we age we take things a little slower and enjoy all the details.

I emailed the final Disney Spreadsheet to DH, MIL and BIL last night for the upcoming October/Novemember trip and made reservations for Tiffany Towncars. :cool1:

DW and I do most of the big decisions together. I am planning out more of the little stuff because I have more time and I have been planning this trip in my head since before the kids were born.

DH and I plan together. For us this is part of the fun. I do the detail (making the schedule and looking at times) and he does lots and lots of research. He also does most of the purchasing as he does our budgeting. We can take a full year in our planning on our big Disney trips, so it pulls the anticipation out for the full year, and together we work on getting DD ready to join us! :hippie:

I've been doing all of the planning for our trip. My DW has never been and doesnt really know what to expect and she usually plans our trips so Im hoping I do a good job with all the planning :scared1:

We handle major planning question together. I usually research details on tickets, park hours, etc and then we decide together what we will do.

This summer we did a fifteen night car trip in the Southwest. We decided on what we wanted to see together. I laid out a plan that showed how we could hit the prime spots and what we might be in jeopardy. I also booked all the hotel rooms (thirteen different hotels) and figured out the Disneyland information.

We do it together....from picking the dates, tracking countdowns, making adrs, packing etc....

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

I do everything. If my husband attempted any of it we would never go anywhere. I'm much (much!) more organized and less forgetful..lol.

We decide together where we're going and when so that he can take time off from work. Everything else is on me. He doesn't want to deal with the details and really, some of his questions baffle me. 'Why are we taking a stroller? Um, really?? Maybe because we have 2 3-year olds???' 'Why do we need to have that money allocated?' Maybe because you can't park a car for 6 days for free near the airport'? He handles all of his travel for work himself, (with his AA). I sometimes wonder how he gets around without me. :rotfl:

I usually end up doing all of the planning and packing. It's just my thing and DH likes it that way. I do ask his opinion on the large matters like dates, which resort and DDP or not. But again, I've narrowed down those choices as well before presenting them to him then we look at pros/cons of each and go from there. I make all ressies, decisions on which parks, pack bags and such. I really enjoy that he could care less ;). Not to mention, he is slow as a tortoise so if I did leave it up to him, we'd never get anywhere. :lmao:

On a side note, our first trip to DW, I used Ridemax and at first he thought we wouldn't need it. I asked him if we could try it our first day and if the schedule was a hassle or didn't work, then we'd toss the rest of the week. Well, it worked amazingly and he was very impressed with my mad planning skills. :rotfl2: So the other day, as I am planning our trip in 3 weeks, he asked if I had that plan thing again like last time. Not to worry my love, your crazy OCD wife has it all together. :thumbsup2

My DH wants nothing to do with the planning. He tells me to give him the itinerary and the dates of when he should request off work. I wanted to show him a photo of the resort I had picked out and he didn't want to be bothered to walk 10 feet to a computer just to take a look at one picture. He'll enjoy the trip when he gets there. He is sure I'll do a good job.

I jokingly asked, "Should I email the request to your boss?" And he replied, "Yeah that would be great."

For vacations in general, the one who picked the destination does the majority of the planning. Disney is 100% my domain, DH has only been once, I've been about 30 times. In 2009 we took my youngest 2 kids on their first trip (it was also my husband and step-daughters first trip)! I'm currently planning their second trip next summer. I've already booked our hotel, dining plan, selected restaurants, and created my spreadsheet for our July 2013 trip. I've invited the kids to help a little more this time, I want to make sure everyone selects their favorite attractions and shows. My 5 year old daughter watches the planning DVD twice a week. When it comes to packing it definitely is my job to pack all 6 suitcases no matter where we go. I would say women definitely do most of the planning in my house. While the men spend their time doing this :happytv:

All of our trips are planned by me, the mom. We usually have a pretty solid schedule with some time/days left open for free time. If this were left to DH, we would show up an not know where we are staying!

Well after my wife and I sit down and decide "when to go", it's up to me a to call Member Services at the 11 month window and book our 1 bdrm or larger if other familie members are coming along, villa at our home resort. Since we fly to Disney, I start a spread sheet on airlines, flights, and cost amounts. Within a couple of months, I've picked the airline/flight/cost, show them to my wife and we then pickthe one she wants, and purchase the tickets. Then I call MS to add ME to the reservation. Prior to the 180 mark for making ADR's we will have picked our places to at, and I then call to make all of our reservations. We have gone so many times, we already know howmuch to budget so there's no big discussion here. My wife has packing for Disney down to an art. Usually two days before we leave, she pulls out the luggage and packs everything except meds and the very last items that must go in before zipping the luggage up. Unknown to me, she's been washing, folding and squirrling away all of our Disney clothes. She tells me upon severe penalty, not to touch anything insde the luggage. As far as what we do on what day once at Disney, it's what park do you want to goto today.

Well I would say that we both plan and prepare for our Disney vacation equally. It's just that we both have specific planning jobs to do.

I do everything. If my husband attempted any of it we would never go anywhere. I'm much (much!) more organized and less forgetful..lol.

Same here.

My hubby would be happy to sit home forever, but when I suggest going somewhere he is always up for it and will do about 80% of the packing and hauling without complaint. However, he is not a planner. He's just happy to do whatever I suggest. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter