Which rides at Universal are the worst for motion sickness?

Simpsons made me so sick that I felt bad for the next person to get on the ride who had to deal with all the sweat I left behind. And that was with Bonine. I also got quite sick on Transformers the one time I rode it.

With me I sometimes get sick and sometimes don't. On our last trip I didn't have much trouble at all (except when I used the stationary seat on Despicable Me). We determined that it might be Dragon Challenge, since we would usually ride that first (and while it didn't make me nauseous, I did always feel unsteady and woozy in my head after riding that) and I would then get sick on Forbidden Journey and would feel bad on pretty much everything after that.

In addition to the Bonine (which I take every morning of the trip), I keep ginger gum with me and will chew that while I'm riding.

Just back - I took Bonine the day before I went to the parks and I had no problem whatsoever with FJ. Transformers had a very mild effect on me - nothing much - and Kang and Kodos Twirl and Hurl had a mild effect that lasted about fifteen minutes. I skipped the Simpsons based on reading this thread and sent my husband on it with DD. After riding The Simpsons, he refused to ride any more simulators the rest of our trip. None of the other simulator rides had any motion sickness effect on me. I think the Bonine may have helped- and the advice to take it before the first day in the parks.

:disrocks:

I have this advice for future park goers: Do not skip FJ for fear of motion sickness. Take some motion sickness meds or wear a patch or chew some ginger, but don't skip FJ. It is truly a unique ride and you really miss something special if you miss this ride.

Here now (and can't sleep!) and I've never had any problems with motion sickness before so I wasn't expecting to have a hard time but omg. The Simpsons ride was horrible, as was transformers. I got so sick I couldn't eat for most of the day. Got back to the resort and sat down and I felt like I was still being pulled back and forth.

I didn't have a problem on FJ or gringotts, I don't know if it was because it was first thing in the morning or what. Never needed dramamine before but I'll be checking for it in the morning. I agree, I wouldn't skip either HP ride because of morning sickness, they were awesome.

On my last trip to Hershey, I took my bonine (starting the day before and then taking one each day) and I also brought some Gin Gin candy. I ate a piece of candy before going on a ride that i though might give me problems and it really helped! But a few rides later, I was feeling queezy aftewards so I ate another Gin Gin candy and that helped too! The bonine isn't 100% effective but it greatly reduces the effects and helps me bounce back quickly.

I found FJ to be quite horrible for motion sickness - probably the worst I have ever had on a theme park ride. The Simpsons was not the best either.

I didnt really have an issue with Spiderman - we rode it twice in a row and I didn't want to go a third time because I felt a little off, but nothing bad.

I have absolutely no problem with Men in Black - I think we rode it 5-6 times in a row and I didn't feel bad at all!

I hope when OP comes back and reads the responses she will see that there's no one definite answer.

We all react differently to different things, so it's a case of finding what works for you on rides.

Transformers was horrendous for me. Im one of the ynlucky onew who can take meds and it does nothing seriously, i had a script for the M (sorry cant spell it) i took it morning and before ved for a week vefore our universal day. The day of i took 2 additional pills a couple of hours apart and still didnt try FJ because i could barely do the sinulator rides.
FYI: you shouldnt take more than 50 mg in a 24 hour period (i took 100). I didnt get sleepy though. OR Get any motion sickness releif...

The Simpsons. I have never felt so sick on a ride before. Hubby had the same problem.

Just back from our first trip ever and would agree with Simpsons and Transformers. We rode them each once and I have no need to ever do them again. Complete sensory overload in addition to the motion issues. For me Hulk and Dragon Challenge were much easier to take and we did those multiple times.

I think FJ would have also made the list if not for the "breaks" of 3D vs. reality, if that makes sense.

Spiderman is now one of my all-time favorite rides, I could do that many times a day! Very well done.

Can anyone tell me how the rides like FJ or Simpsons compare to the Disney rides like Soarin' or Star Tours? I haven't been to Universal in Florida before (only California), but have been to Disney...so just wondering how they compare. I get some motion sickness, and get a little dizzy on Soarin' or Star Tours, but I'm not going to puke or anything. Do FJ or Simpsons (or Spider-Man, etc) make you sicker than these rides? I'm trying to plan out my upcoming trip and want to know if I need to avoid these. I would like to ride FJ for the experience, but don't want to if it's worse motion sickness wise than the Disney rides I mentioned.

Can anyone tell me how the rides like FJ or Simpsons compare to the Disney rides like Soarin' or Star Tours? I haven't been to Universal in Florida before (only California), but have been to Disney...so just wondering how they compare. I get some motion sickness, and get a little dizzy on Soarin' or Star Tours, but I'm not going to puke or anything. Do FJ or Simpsons (or Spider-Man, etc) make you sicker than these rides? I'm trying to plan out my upcoming trip and want to know if I need to avoid these. I would like to ride FJ for the experience, but don't want to if it's worse motion sickness wise than the Disney rides I mentioned.
Soarin' and Star Tours doesn't really bother me. By the end of Soarin' I feel just an ever so slight weirdness in my stomach, but by the time I've left the ride I feel fine again. Star Tours is a piece of cake. Simpsons and Spider-Man move a lot quicker. There's a lot more frantic movement from the rides and the visuals are almost overwhelming. I haven't been on FJ, so I can't speak for that one. I was not feeling good on either of those less than halfway into the ride. For me, at least, there are different things that set me off for both. The 3D on the Spider-Man ride doesn't look right. It's every so slightly out of focus, and for some reason, that lack of focus really messes with my head. I get a bad headache from that ride and eventually some nausea as well. The Simpsons ride is just frantic. There's a lot of herky jerky kind of movements that throw you around a little. There's some focus issues towards the edges of the screen, so when the ride tips and puts more of that out of focus stuff in my line of sight and then throws you back towards the center, the jump between the two different focal settings is jarring for me. The thing that stands out most in my head about both is just the fuzzy imagery that's just not in sharp focus. That doesn't agree with me. My friend, who has no issues with motion simulators, had no problem on Spider-Man, but got queasy on Simpsons.

I would say in general, yes - FJ, Simpsons, and Spider-Man would be likely to make you more sick than Soarin' and Star Tours. I remember before I rode FJ for the first time, I browsed message boards to get an idea of how the ride was. I heard reports of people feeling sick. I was not going to take my chances, so I took some ginger candy right before the ride, and I was fine. I don't take ginger candy before I ride FJ nowadays, but I can see how it is nausea-inducing.

Spider-Man has some spinning in it and 3D effects that might make one sick. As for Simpsons - my DBF, who does not experience motion sickness, feels uncomfortable/queasy on Simpsons.

If you are open to it, and really want to ride the rides you mentioned above, I would strongly recommend taking some Bonine, Dramamine, or ginger before trying any of the Universal rides.

I am prone to motion sickness. I can do Star Tours at Disney but just barely. Soaring is easy and fun. Using that as a comparison, Men in Black is a piece of cake, Jurassic Park is fine too. I can do Spiderman but it is on the level of Star Tours. The Simpson Ride is of the devil. Do not attempt if you have problems with nausea. I'll also never ever get on Forbidden Journey again - horrible experience and did not enjoy a single moment of it. (I did like seeing inside the castle, however, and you CAN just tour the castle now without riding the ride). I can do The Mummy. I haven't tried Despicable Me and from the You Tube video, I won't do it - I know that will make me sick. I'd like to try Transformers, but after reading this thread, I'll probably avoid that as well. No one has mentioned Kong, but I plan to try that one too.
I wish Universal and Disney both would introduce a few more "rides" that are visually appealing and interesting without being so jarring to the body. Everything doesn't have to be a "thrill" ride...

This is good info! I don't like spinning :crazy2:(neither do DH and DS)...so which rides involve fast spinning? I don't go on coasters where you go upside down. Which ones do that? As for the virtual reality...I can do Star Tours (I just close my eyes if my stomach starts up). Are the Universal rides worse than Star Tours? I'm going to ask about the "patch"...if they have that here in Canada...the Gravol stuff makes me tired.:(

The only ride that involves fast spinning would be Storm Force Accelatron. You can control the speed of the spin. One Fish Two Fish is similar to Dumbo. Both of these rides are at IoA.

The coasters that go upside down are Dragon Challenge and Hulk, both at IoA. Technically, Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit does not go upside down (that one is at USF).

Star Tours seems milder than the simulator rides at Universal. I would say that The Simpsons and Forbidden Journey induce more motion sickness than Star Tours, just based on what I have read in forums. Definitely invest in a motion sickness prevention medication/patch that works for you before heading to Universal. :)

Men In Black does have a few back and forth, quick half-spins; and if your car is hit by shooters in the other car, you spin a few times fast. Not sure how much spinning you are OK with, so I thought I should point that out.

The two big ones to me are Despicable Me and Simpsons. Got a little nauseous on Despicable Me when I went a couple years ago. Last year Simpsons was the only ride that made both the people I was with nauseous. I know Forbidden Journey gets mentioned a lot but I think it depends on what will sit it of for you. The screen portions can be bad but are broken up with sets/animatronics between as well. I havne't had issues with the ride as a whole unless riding it multiple times back to back.

Reporting in: I occasionally have positional vertigo, the kind caused by inner ear particles, so I was a little worried. I can also get motion sick with badly done video games/immersion screens.

I took a half Meclizine each day and had no problems except a headache after the first ride, which was spider man. I figured out after the fact what the problem there was; I kept tensing up and bracing for the impacts, which really isn't necessary, and gave myself a neck/headache. I consciously relaxed more on future movement rides and I was fine.

I did:
Spider-Man
Transformers
Kong
Gringott's
MiB (and let me say I had the high score by a factor of about four for my car, and we won)

All were fine. There were certain scenes where I knew they were about to drop us off a cliff, and I closed my eyes for those (afraid of heights anyway).

Just watching a YouTube of the video for simpsons made me queasy, so combined with the reports here I skipped it. Neither of us had any interest in Despicable Me. I skipped FJ because the motion of the kooka arm looked like it really could get my head into a position to shake up the inner-ear particles that cause vertigo, so I didn't risk it.

I was afraid of the part of Mummy where it goes backwards, and didn't try that yet. Maybe next time.

My advice for Spider-Man and Transformers is not to fight/brace against the motion too much. It makes it seem like you're getting thrown around more than you really are.

I used to have to wear Sea Bands on FJ but have discovered a way to get through without them. I am very careful to focus on just the middle of the screen and I can make it through! My motion sickness isn't getting better - I used to get through the Simpsoms much better. I had to look at my feet the entire time the last time I did it. There is no way I can handle Storm Force. The carousel is bad enough for me. I'm not good with spinning. (I'm fine on MIB but I close my eyes for the spinning at the end).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter