Which rides at Universal are the worst for motion sickness?

Shrek 4D may make you feel a little queasy. Simpsons, FJ, Despicable Me, Spiderman, Transformers...

I can't do spinny rides so I can't comment on those but a big SICKO to Simpsons! I did it once and that was quite enough. I was a little icky after FJ but I rebound quickly (and did twice in that trip). The other combination simulator rides were fine but I would not do well riding them very close together. I definitely need down time between those types of rides.

Can someone please compare the likelihood of motion sickness on The Simpsons Ride versus the Back to the Future Ride? I realize that the BTTF ride was simply retrofitted for The Simpsons, but it seems like there are many more complaints about motion sickness now than before the change. Trying to decide if my daughter will be ok when we're there in a couple of weeks.

DD12 and I take non drowsy Dramamine each morning about an hour before hitting the park and if we're going to be there after dinner we take another 1/2 dose with dinner. Only the simulator rides bother me, I'm ok on the coasters like Mummy or the drops like JP or Dudley. I do avoid Transformers because it gives me a headache but not motion sickness. Even with Dramamine I won't ever ride Simpsons again. Also I close my eyes during the "spell" parts on FJ as you're not looking at anything other than a spinning circle of light and that really sets me off. I'm ok on the rest of the ride. Minions I can handle without Dramamine and also Gringotts it's not really necessary.

There are a lot of bad ones for motion sickness...Simpsons is terrible, Forbidden Journey is bad, Transformers and Spiderman can be trying...pretty much 90% of the rides can be problematic.

Looks like I will be skipping most (if not all rides)....I am not much of a ride person....probally because vomiting in public doesnt go over well! I hope my kids love it....we are traveling all the way from Arizona!

Which rides at Universal are the worst for motion sickness? I see that they have a lot of simulator rides, which typically give me a bit of motion sickness. Which should I avoid?

I am not a motion sickness person, but pretty much any simulator rides are but Forbidden Journey was the worst for a friend of mine.

You really might consider checking with your doctor about the Scopalamin patch. I have really terrible motion sickness (even Thunder Mountain RR makes me feel a little nauseated), and I literally had NO motion sickness while using it.

You really might consider checking with your doctor about the Scopalamin patch.

Thank you for mentioning that! I usually take Bonine (starting the day before I plan to ride) but sometimes I still feel the effects. I'm think going to try out this patch this summer!

My DH managed ok if I gave him at least 2-3 hours between simulator rides. Gringotts was great though and he rode 2x in a row with no issues

You really might consider checking with your doctor about the Scopalamin patch. I have really terrible motion sickness (even Thunder Mountain RR makes me feel a little nauseated), and I literally had NO motion sickness while using it.

That's great to hear! Neither of us like taking Dramamine/Bonine because it makes us sleepy, so we got a prescription for the patch. It was rather expensive, so we're really hoping that it will work!

I'm not sure about different branding, but the Scopalamine patch does require a prescription. It was amazingly helpful for me. Bonine really didn't help me all the much, but with the patch, I had no problems whatsoever. With the patch, you put it on 24 hours in advance of your trip and you can wear it for up to 72 hours. That all being said, I will say that there are side effects, including dry mouth and blurred vision for some (it dilates your eyes a bit--the blurred vision for me was only for close up, nothing else). Also, some people have a rebound when taking it off--specifically some nausea or GI issues. This is more typical if you wear it for a longer period of time. For me, it was worth it, b/c it made my trip so much more enjoyable!

eek!!! Thank you for telling me about the side effects. I'm not sure I want to try it now. I may stick with Bonine. Has anyone done a "dry run" with the patch before? I don't want to get to Hershey park (where I was going to try it first) and experience issues.

I can handle the Hulk, dueling dragons, men in black but have never tried FJ. I have done Spider-Man and can just about get away with it. Going again in 2 months and would like to try gringotts but will avoid Simpsons. Might buy some Gravol(Canadian version of Dramamine) just to make sure.

eek!!! Thank you for telling me about the side effects. I'm not sure I want to try it now. I may stick with Bonine. Has anyone done a "dry run" with the patch before? I don't want to get to Hershey park (where I was going to try it first) and experience issues.

I was hoping to do a test run in the patch, but I'm running out of time! My Dr was nice enough to give me a few extra.
US is in 2 weeks...

I can handle the Hulk, dueling dragons, men in black but have never tried FJ. I have done Spider-Man and can just about get away with it. Going again in 2 months and would like to try gringotts but will avoid Simpsons. Might buy some Gravol(Canadian version of Dramamine) just to make sure.

For my DH, as long as he had 2-3 hours in between simulator rides, he was OK. The one time he had a lot of problems was when he rode FJ just 1 hour after Transformers. He was very queasy after that.

Otherwise, it was mild queasiness and he was able to do each motion simulator once, even Simpsons. No issues on Gringotts - YAY!

the one ride i can never do is that tea cup ride.
Storm Force Accelatron

others i can handle okay

For me the worst was Despicable Me, followed closely by The Simpsons. I can do coasters no problem.

Basically the only ride that DIDN'T make me feel sick was escape from gringotts.
I took Dramamine after having little luck with more natural forms: Ginger capsules, sea bands and motioneaze oil. I took less drowsy Dramamine and still avoided eating until after I was done.

I will preface this by saying I can get car sick within 5 minutes if I'm looking down. I take Dramamine the morning of every park day. The only thing I rode that made me sick was Despicable Me. I had to close my eyes about halfway through. I did Gringotts, Spider-Man, Men in Black and I think a couple others with no problem. I purposely avoided Simpsons and Forbidden Journey after hearing about/seeing people puke

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!