Where is my FAVORITE DCL cast member?

Actually some crew members are given time off while in port on embarkation/debarkation day. There's a Walmart close to Port Canaveral and there's one across the port in Puerto Vallarta.

yes but that is only some crew members and only like two ports, so giving advice on giving Walmart gift cards to the all crew members for all cruises in inaccurate, not all cruises have ports at a Walmart and not all crew members can get off of the ship. If you wish to give a crew member something extra, the best thing would be cash. The OP for the Walmart gift card was not specific on what cruise they were on.

For the Dream and Fantasy ... a Walmart is indeed, close by. Since the Wonder and Magic change home ports, it could be an issue with being able to utilize gift certificates ... especially when not on US soil. A gift card to Hard Rock Cafe (or their favorite hang-out at a port-of-call) sounds nice ... but you'd have to research to make sure a US purchased gift card (in US Dollars) will work abroad (possibly in Peso's ... which may be subject to a transaction fee).

Sending CASH through the mail is not an option ... though it's FABULOUS when in person. For those who communicate with CM's (Facebook, e-mail or snail mail), why not ASK them if you (the guest) could buy them a gift card ... ask the cast member what type of gift card they would like. I am sure they will be flattered ... some might decline (depending on how well you know them). If I were to ask my CM's if they wanted a gift card, I am sure they would give me a LIST of acceptable locations.

Since we will be sailing on December, we will be bringing a few extra bottles of Hungarian Tokaji ... I am sure the Hungarian servers will appreciate a taste of home. While we are on the ship, we can ask what gift cards would be appropriate. Just remember, if their ship changes itineraries ... the ports (and hence, the stores / restaurants) will change. There aren't too may options for Alaska ... not sure about Vancouver or Seattle ... but when the Wonder sails into Miami, it's a different story. FWIW, there is a Walmart in Miami (8651 N.W. 13Th Terrace, Miami, (305) 470-4510), which is about 10 minutes west of the airport (take Perimeter Road). This isn't REAL close to the port ... but might be worth consideration. If that does not work ... perhaps a GC to a local eatery would fit the bill. You might think they will like Jimmy Buffet's, but they may prefer Peco's Bill's! It's safest to ASK the CM for their preference.
:beach:

Feel free to send your CM's a quick letter ... invite them to send a response via e-mail or Facebook (they have limited time online, and are required to pay for internet time). :coffee:

For the Dream and Fantasy ... a Walmart is indeed, close by. Since the Wonder and Magic change home ports, it could be an issue with being able to utilize gift certificates ... especially when not on US soil. A gift card to Hard Rock Cafe (or their favorite hang-out at a port-of-call) sounds nice ... but you'd have to research to make sure a US purchased gift card (in US Dollars) will work abroad (possibly in Peso's ... which may be subject to a transaction fee).

Sending CASH through the mail is not an option ... though it's FABULOUS when in person. For those who communicate with CM's (Facebook, e-mail or snail mail), why not ASK them if you (the guest) could buy them a gift card ... ask the cast member what type of gift card they would like. I am sure they will be flattered ... some might decline (depending on how well you know them). If I were to ask my CM's if they wanted a gift card, I am sure they would give me a LIST of acceptable locations.

Since we will be sailing on December, we will be bringing a few extra bottles of Hungarian Tokaji ... I am sure the Hungarian servers will appreciate a taste of home. While we are on the ship, we can ask what gift cards would be appropriate. Just remember, if their ship changes itineraries ... the ports (and hence, the stores / restaurants) will change. There aren't too may options for Alaska ... not sure about Vancouver or Seattle ... but when the Wonder sails into Miami, it's a different story. FWIW, there is a Walmart in Miami (8651 N.W. 13Th Terrace, Miami, (305) 470-4510), which is about 10 minutes west of the airport (take Perimeter Road). This isn't REAL close to the port ... but might be worth consideration. If that does not work ... perhaps a GC to a local eatery would fit the bill. You might think they will like Jimmy Buffet's, but they may prefer Peco's Bill's! It's safest to ASK the CM for their preference.
:beach:

Feel free to send your CM's a quick letter ... invite them to send a response via e-mail or Facebook (they have limited time online, and are required to pay for internet time). :coffee:

Hi! We were on the Inaugural Alaska cruise with you! In Ketchikan my husband went Salmon fishing and I got on the WalMart shuttle that came right up to where you walk off the ship! Yes there were some CM's on the shuttle as well! :thumbsup2

Usually, the ones are at the embarkation and disembarkation ports and the crew members cannot get off the ship and go shopping during that time. Unless it was the eight night cruise out of NYC, and that would limit it to that itinerary. Which, cruise were you on that you saw crew members with Walmart bags?

Crew members get free time at various times of various days. It is not uncommon for cast members to get time off the ship(s) during embarkation day ... granted ... not every cast member gets time off. As a side note, there is no reason why a cruise out of NYC, let alone an 8-day cruise, would be the only time for a cast member to get time off the ship.

The same can be said for Castaway Cay ... some cast members get time off, while others get no time off (though this changes cruise-by-cruise).
:sad:

... giving advice on giving Walmart gift cards to the all crew members for all cruises in inaccurate, not all cruises have ports at a Walmart and not all crew members can get off of the ship. If you wish to give a crew member something extra, the best thing would be cash. The OP for the Walmart gift card was not specific on what cruise they were on.

This thread deals with knowing where your favorite DCL Cast Member(s) is / are located. Some of the discussion grew to what can we give (or send) to cast members. Of course, when you are face-to-face, cash is very nice (though other SPECIAL thank-you's are appropriate, as well). Some of us choose to send care packages ... I send packages every 4-6 weeks.

Someone posted they had thought of sending a gift card. I believe that is a great idea ... especially since sending cash via mail is not the best choice. Granted, the choice to send a gift card involves some homework. If a ship is sailing out of Port Canaveral, there is indeed a WalMart close to port. If the ship is sailing to Nassau, or Western / Eastern Caribbean ... I'm hoping the guest would research which retailers / restaurants are close to specific ports (ie: Hard Rock in Grand Cayman or St. Thomas). That being said, it also makes sense to ASK your cast member if they have a preference (some may forego Hard Rock in favor of Bubba Gump in Puerta Vallerta and Cancun).

While not every cast member gets time off at the same port each cruise, it's generally accepted for a cast member to get some time off at each port ... during the course of the season. I would not suggest sending gift cards which can only be used in a single port on a specific day (ie: Gibraltar, or Azores, on a TransAtlantic cruise ... or Cartegena or Aruba on a Panama Canal Cruise). I do not believe anyone intended or suggested a WalMart gift card would work on all cruises, for all cast members. Again, check with your cast member ... ask them would they would like (they know their itinerary, and where they like to go).

Hi! We were on the Inaugural Alaska cruise with you! In Ketchikan my husband went Salmon fishing and I got on the WalMart shuttle that came right up to where you walk off the ship! Yes there were some CM's on the shuttle as well! :thumbsup2

I would have LOVED to go Salmon fishing ... will likely do that next time, as well as either a plane or helicopter ride, as well!

I checked online ... Wal-Mart Ketchikan is located at 4230 Don King Road (907/247-2156). Mapquest seems to put it about 2 miles from port. We noticed a Costco within sight of a port in the Mexican Riviera (we have Costco membership). There is a LOT of information available online ... only a few clicks away!

TaTa4Now1968 said:
I looked at most of the ports and did not see a lot of Walmart locations. Usually, the ones are at the embarkation and disembarkation ports and the crew members cannot get off the ship and go shopping during that time. Unless it was the eight night cruise out of NYC, and that would limit it to that itinerary. Which, cruise were you on that you saw crew members with Walmart bags?

This was on our Alaska cruise. I was certainly not saying this is the end-all perfect gift for everyone... Just sharing my conversation with our servers. They said the CMs they were with loved going there in quite a few ports. Just a simple thought to add to the discussion..... Of course a gift should never replace the actual tip, for sure! I just know some people ask about extra things to do.:)

sdlong329 said:
I do not believe anyone intended or suggested a WalMart gift card would work on all cruises, for all cast members. Again, check with your cast member ... ask them would they would like (they know their itinerary, and where they like to go).

Great suggestion!

FWIW, I am currently working on developing a new thread ... which will list the address for most DCL home ports and ports of call. In addition, I will be posting the address and phone number for nearby WalMart and Costco stores, as well as a rough estimate of how far away the store is located from the port.

I am hoping guests and cast members will be able to use this as a basic reference tool, which will help with basic shopping needs, photography needs, as well as drug store needs (all of which are in most WalMart and Costco stores).

This information will be a non-stop work in progress ... meaning ... as stores are built, new additions will be made. This information will be usable by cast members, as well as guests ... regardless of whether guests intend to make purchases for themselves, or purchase gift cards.

DISCLAIMER: YES, Costco requires a membership, UNLESS you are using their pharmacy.:beach:

Steven

sdlong329 said:
FWIW, I am currently working on developing a new thread ... which will list the address for most DCL home ports and ports of call. In addition, I will be posting the address and phone number for nearby WalMart and Costco stores, as well as a rough estimate of how far away the store is located from the port.

I am hoping guests and cast members will be able to use this as a basic reference tool, which will help with basic shopping needs, photography needs, as well as drug store needs (all of which are in most WalMart and Costco stores).

This information will be a non-stop work in progress ... meaning ... as stores are built, new additions will be made. This information will be usable by cast members, as well as guests ... regardless of whether guests intend to make purchases for themselves, or purchase gift cards.

DISCLAIMER: YES, Costco requires a membership, UNLESS you are using their pharmacy.:beach:

Steven

Great idea! Thank you :)

As per Rado Hristev (Bulgaria, currently an Assistant Server on the Fantasy), he will depart for vacation on October 13th, and return to the Fantasy in time for podCast 4.0 (Western Caribbean), December 8th, 2012.

We had Rado on the Maiden Voyage of the Fantasy, and will be requesting him on our upcoming cruise, as well! ::yes::

We were on the Magic at the end of March this year and Nikola was our server in Palo.

For those that were asking. I don't know if he is still on that ship or not.

We were on the Magic at the end of March this year and Nikola was our server in Palo.

Is this Nikola from Serbia? He was our Palo server on the Wonder during the Hawaii cruise.

Corinna

Disney Dream - Jan. 2012
Waiter: Yekta from Romania
Assistant Waiter: Jervis from Jamaica

Anyone know where there are now? We are sailing Dream again in Oct. and would love to have them again.

We had Nikola on our Sept 7th Magic Cruise.

Wondering some good suggestions for recommended MDR servers on the fantasy? We'll be on the NYE cruise!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Dennis Prudente is serving until December on the Magic.

Andrea from Croatia in Palo just left the Magic this week and will be back on the Magic in January for 3 months.

We had a few favs on our Jan 2012 Dream cruise (I know not so recent but maybe others have had them since)

Palo: Felice (I think that is how it is spelled - I believe from Italy)

Yes! We had Felice on the Sept 13 Dream cruise that we just left! He was AMAZING! So sincere and just the nicest guy. We kept seeing him in other places - serving and clearing at the serenity bay lunch, cabanas on debarkation day, and each time he came up to us and asked how how cruise was, and joked that the food and service were CLEARLY better at Palo. He was hysterical. Anyway.. he said he's on the Dream until December 2nd (or 12th? It had a 2 in it..) and then he's heading home to Italy until his Mama gets sick of him.

Wondering some good suggestions for recommended MDR servers on the fantasy?

Main Dining Rooms:
Zsolt Szep - Hungary
Kristiann Kiss - Hungary
Ronald Corpuz - Philippines (April 2013 - now, supposedly on the Magic)
Radoslav Hristev - Bulgaria ::yes::

Palo:
Ivan Frick - Hungary

I will be on the Fantasy in december ... I am requesting Rado Hristev (yes, I am requesting an ASSISTANT SERVER), and will also be requesting Ivan Frick for Palo Lunch and Palo Dinner. I am not sure if Zsolt, Kristiann or Ronald will be onboard for New Years Eve. ENJOY! :woohoo:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter