Where are you staying on your next Disneyland Trip and Why?

September will be my fourth visit. First one, all 5 of us, we stayed at GCH, because it was our very first visit. I'm glad we did; we got a free upgrade to a courtyard view. Gorgeous hotel, loved all the Disney touches and the wonderful service. My only quibble was that it's such a huge labyrinth, and the main entrance is a lot farther down DTD than you'd expect-- when you can't use the CA entrance, like when you come out of DL late at night, that walk looks like miles.

Second time, DD13 and I went and stayed at Hojo. At the time, they had a "retro rate" with the Entertainment book of $79 a night for the deluxe building 1 rooms. Beautiful, great service, very doable walk, though again, at the end of a long day, I wanted to lay down on the sidewalk and cry instead of walking that small distance back. LOL. But for the price, you really couldn't beat it.

Last year, solo trip, I stayed at Desert Inn. I knew I wanted "close to the crosswalk" proximity, and of all those Harbor hotels, that was cheapest, I think I paid $109 a night. I called ahead and asked if pretty please I could have the top floor and close to the front. They upgraded me for free to a parlor suite, which I certainly didn't need, being by myself, but boy was it nice to be so close to the front and to the stairs, on the top floor. I found the room comfortable and very clean, and I liked the nice, updated linens. It had a microwave and mini fridge. I found front desk service to be prompt, kind, and helpful. The continental breakfast was adequate, but I don't count that in my requirements, since half the time the breakfast room opens too late to get to early entry at the gates, and I prefer to eat something in the room while I get ready. Also I don't care about the pool; I'd rather nap on my afternoon breaks.

September will be just DH and I (yay) for my birthday, and we are doing Desert Inn again. I got it for $99 a night, where every other place near the crosswalk that I checked was at least $149 or more. Since then a few other places have posted pretty good rates for what might be a bit nicer or more updated hotel-- Fairfield, the new Holiday Inn express, Grand Legacy at the Park-- but none as close nor quite as good a rate.

ETA: Out of curiousity, I just went and looked at room rates for my dates, Sept. 13-17, at the whole row of the usual Harbor hotels within the block of the main entrance crosswalk. Here's what I found, top to bottom:
HoJo $189,
Fairfield $166 Holiday Inn Express $245
Camelot $129 Courtyard Anaheim Theme Entrace $254 (all bunk bed rooms)
Carousel $144
Tropicana $127
BWPPI unavailable for my dates, but closest run $116- 145 a few weeks later
Park Vue $159
Desert Inn $112 (when I booked several weeks ago I got $99 a night)
Del Sol $118
Best Western Anaheim Inn $148
Grand Legacy at the Park $109 (screamin' deal, better even with AAA, down at the corner, though)

Last edited:
September will be my fourth visit. First one, all 5 of us, we stayed at GCH, because it was our very first visit. I'm glad we did; we got a free upgrade to a courtyard view. Gorgeous hotel, loved all the Disney touches and the wonderful service. My only quibble was that it's such a huge labyrinth, and the main entrance is a lot farther down DTD than you'd expect-- when you can't use the CA entrance, like when you come out of DL late at night, that walk looks like miles.

Second time, DD13 and I went and stayed at Hojo. At the time, they had a "retro rate" with the Entertainment book of $79 a night for the deluxe building 1 rooms. Beautiful, great service, very doable walk, though again, at the end of a long day, I wanted to lay down on the sidewalk and cry instead of walking that small distance back. LOL. But for the price, you really couldn't beat it.

Last year, solo trip, I stayed at Desert Inn. I knew I wanted "close to the crosswalk" proximity, and of all those Harbor hotels, that was cheapest, I think I paid $109 a night. I called ahead and asked if pretty please I could have the top floor and close to the front. They upgraded me for free to a parlor suite, which I certainly didn't need, being by myself, but boy was it nice to be so close to the front and to the stairs, on the top floor. I found the room comfortable and very clean, and I liked the nice, updated linens. It had a microwave and mini fridge. I found front desk service to be prompt, kind, and helpful. The continental breakfast was adequate, but I don't count that in my requirements, since half the time the breakfast room opens too late to get to early entry at the gates, and I prefer to eat something in the room while I get ready. Also I don't care about the pool; I'd rather nap on my afternoon breaks.

September will be just DH and I (yay) for my birthday, and we are doing Desert Inn again. I got it for $99 a night, where every other place near the crosswalk that I checked was at least $149 or more. Since then a few other places have posted pretty good rates for what might be a bit nicer or more updated hotel-- Fairfield, the new Holiday Inn express, Grand Legacy at the Park-- but none as close nor quite as good a rate.

ETA: Out of curiousity, I just went and looked at room rates for my dates, Sept. 13-17, at the whole row of the usual Harbor hotels within the block of the main entrance crosswalk. Here's what I found, top to bottom:
HoJo $189,
Fairfield $166 Holiday Inn Express $245
Camelot $129 Courtyard Anaheim Theme Entrace $254 (all bunk bed rooms)
Carousel $144
Tropicana $127
BWPPI unavailable for my dates, but closest run $116- 145 a few weeks later
Park Vue $159
Desert Inn $112 (when I booked several weeks ago I got $99 a night)
Del Sol $118
Best Western Anaheim Inn $148
Grand Legacy at the Park $109 (screamin' deal, better even with AAA, down at the corner, though)

Very interesting comparison! Thanks for posting that. :)

Next already booked stay is at Peacock Suites and only because I have a timeshare exchange there.
I am thinking about doing an overnight before then and if I do, I will probably either stay at Paradise Pier, Grand Californian or one of the Hilton brand hotels. Since I have a bunch of Hilton hotel points, it will likely be one of those.

I like this thread!
For our next trip we are staying at the anahiem Hilton. Why? Because I like to stay at hotels I've stayed at before and I can trust. Also I got a great deal for a room and Flight there which is usually my number one goal. Save the most money for the nicest place. Haha I had the Hojo booked before but cancelled it do to this deal! Yay. Can't wait.

We are staying at the DLH because it screams Disney! We love the view of Downtown Disney, the location works perfectly for our family, plus the fact that Trader Sams is right there doesn’t hurt either.

Thanks so much for this thread! I'm trying to decide where to stay for our first trip. It's great to read where others are staying and why.

Fairfield Inn for us. We love the location next to McDonalds. My son loves getting Pizza Hut Express from inside the hotel. Really the cost is why we chose this hotel. We needed to go with something fairly inexpensive (even though the prices keep going up) and something clean and consistently very good.
We've stayed at Disneyland Hotel, Grand Californian, Best Western Park Place Inn, and HOJO but our favorite outside the bubble is FFI. Inside the bubble its definitely GC.

We will be there next week and my kids are so excited. They love Disneyland so much. First day we get there in the early morning but won't make it to the park probably till just before 11am. So were all excited for Plaza Inn for lunch!

On our(2 adults and 2 kids) first trip we stayed at PPH. We were upgraded to a theme park room. It was great! Loved seeing WOC from our room. We went with friends and picked PPH because it was cheaper than the other DL resorts and we wanted to stay onsite.

Our second trip was just my dh and I. We stayed at Holiday Inn on S. Walnut. It was cheaper than the other places. We walked to the parks. It was about a 10 min. walk on the back side of Downtown Disney.

Our third trip will be in 2-17 and for our 20th wedding anniversary. I rented points and we will be staying at the villas GC. We love the closeness of the Grand to DCA.

Just returned from a great stay at Park Vue Inn. Room was great, location was right across the street, hot/cold breakfast with many options, coffee/water in the lobby 24/7, clean, clean, clean, staff was great. I would definately stay there again.

For me, personally, I think my go to hotel is going to be the Travelodge near the convention center, for a few reasons:

1. I travel by myself, so as long as I can please myself, I'm golden, and I've never been too picky about hotel rooms; this does everything I need it to do and then some

2. Amazing location; right down the street from the Toy Story lot, still close enough to be within walking distance; best of both worlds

3. Dozens of convenience stores and restaurants seemingly right next door

4. Dirt cheap

We're starting at the Best Western Plus Anaheim Inn. We got a good rate on a "suite" that is 2 double beds in one room and a separate room worth a 3rd double bed. Since we're a family of 5 this is great. It also includes a decent breakfast and the location is great.

We also love the Dessert Inn, but the room at the BW was the same cost as the parlour suite, which is only one room with a pullout couch, and the breakfast at BW is better.

I have stayed at many different places depending on what is important t me and what my budget is. So far I have stayed at

Paradise Peir Hotel-I liked it and it did have a bit more Disney Magic and you can do your character breakfast right down stairs. I also was there for my sons birthday and they upgraded our room and had a birthday package and balloons waiting for us in the room. Very nice touch cast members. Nice and close especially for using the monorail to enter the park and you can charge your room for your purchases. But it's still cost prohibitive for us most of the time. If we did Disney occasionally I'd likely stay here again but I'd rather save money and come more often and stay longer.

Castle inn- it was the cheapest available when I stayed here and I thought the castle idea seemed fun and it was just a short walk. Nope. Not up to my level of expectation for cleanliness. Also it was just plain run down and dated and farther than I want to walk at the end of the day. Also I felt like the second floor outdoor walkway could collapse and kill us all every time I walked on it. The walkway floor was buckled and "wavey" in several places.

Anabella hotel-nice hotel with good amenities. The sounding grounds were also nice and made the place seem charming. But it's too far if you want to come back to your room mid day for a break and it doesn't have mini fridges or microwaves which is a problem if you like to bring food with you to deal with dietary restrictions and for cost cutting. If you don't mind a long walk or taking a shuttle shuttle or parking and you don't care for kitchenette features it's solid choice.

Del sol- economy motel with no frills. But it is clean, even in the nooks and crannies and it's very close if you want to return mid day or just cant stand the idea of walking once you hit harbor. Also the rooms have a mini fridge and microwave. Breakfast room opens pretty late if you're and "early morning in the park" kid of person

Desert inn-moderate place with spacious suites. Very close to the main entrance. The linens are nice and the breakfast is fine if nothing special. Again all rooms have the mini fridge and microwave which is important to us. I like watching the fire works on their roof top viewing area if my son is too pooped (and cranky) to stay to watch them in the park. The pool is small and indoors, but enough for my son who loves to swim on vacation and I like to read quietly out of the heat and wind while I watch him swim so it being indoors doesn't bother me a bit. The parking fees were also a bit cheaper here which I like. Also if you book pretty far out the price it really a good value.

Tropicana-my son prefers this hotel but I don't think it's much better than desert inn, I think he just likes the cove store and the larger pool. Also very very close to the main entrance. The staff were very helpful and nice here which I appreciated when I realized on our last trip that I forgot my printed vouchers for universal studio and our transportation voucher. Even at 10:00 they were more than happy to help and accept them in an email and print them for me. The rooms are fine and the beds were comfy. No breakfast here, but I never put much stock in hotel breakfasts and they have the fridge and microwave so it wasn't missed. However the parking situation irritates me. They want to vallet everyone so that they can pack the cars in and let people who aren't staying there pay to park in their lot. This might be fine but the parking attendant was MIA several times and I wasted a lot of time waiting for him let me have me keys or return my keys to him so I could get something out of my car. Also they parked my car right under the second floor room of a smoker who clearly through his butts onto my car after smoking outside of his room (my car was covered in ashes and butts when I went to get my phone charger out of it and this irritated the heck out of me since it was a new car) so my experience with vallet has turned off a bit to this hotel that I might otherwise have chosen for our next trip but instead I'm going back to desert inn.

Let's see if I can remember in order, lol.

Super 8 Katella (Feb 2012; me and DD)
Super 8 Katella (May 2012; solo)
Park Vue (March 2013; me, DD, DH)
Park Vue (July 2013; me, DH)
Desert Inn (Jan 2014; me, BFF)
Park Vue (Feb 2015; solo)
Park Vue (June 2015; me, DD, DH)
Tropicana (Dec 2015; solo)

I feel like I'm missing a trip or two.

Next trip in Oct is a solo one for me at Tropicana ($125 or so a night). I LOVE LOVE LOVE Park Vue, but this trip is coming 3 months after DH's solo trip, so money is a little tighter. It was Park Vue and no tour and MHP, or Tropicana and getting to do both. So, Tropicana it is!

We will be staying at the Desert Inn for our next trip. We booked a parlor suite for about $105 a night. We stayed in one last year for a bit less. It's a great amount of space for the price. It is a super short walk to the parks. We enjoyed our stay last time so hopefully we will enjoy our next one too!

Just today booked the Residence Inn by Marriott Maingate. The reason is I got a good rate by booking.com for a 1 bedroom suite, with full kitchen, 2 qn beds 1 sofa bed. Having more room is really important to us. Also the pool is open 24 hrs. and so is there business center. We are surrounded by a bunch of restaurants and have the Garden Walk right across the street, which I see as a perk. We are a party of 4 but 1 is a teenager who doesn't like to sleep with anyone. I also liked the way the suite looks. I found out today about an overview from Peter Werner on his podcast, they are on YouTube.com/WDWInfo, very interesting. You might want to give that a look to see what they say. HTH

I'll be at the Hilton Anaheim middle of July. It's a business trip, so I figured it would be slightly less geared towards families with kids. I wanted to be close enough to the parks/DTD so I could hop over at night if I wanted to.

Hi , hubby and I are staying at the hyatt regency Orange County , reason why, we were lucky enough to have won a competition about 3 years ago and stayed there with our kids, so he wants to stay there again, luckily we got a really great rate and it actually worked out cheaper than the motels across the road from disneyland.

Let's see if I can remember in order, lol.

Super 8 Katella (Feb 2012; me and DD)
Super 8 Katella (May 2012; solo)
Park Vue (March 2013; me, DD, DH)
Park Vue (July 2013; me, DH)
Desert Inn (Jan 2014; me, BFF)
Park Vue (Feb 2015; solo)
Park Vue (June 2015; me, DD, DH)
Tropicana (Dec 2015; solo)

I feel like I'm missing a trip or two.

Next trip in Oct is a solo one for me at Tropicana ($125 or so a night). I LOVE LOVE LOVE Park Vue, but this trip is coming 3 months after DH's solo trip, so money is a little tighter. It was Park Vue and no tour and MHP, or Tropicana and getting to do both. So, Tropicana it is!

Hi! How do you find Super 8? I haven't been before. We love Tropicana but due to finances need to look at something cheaper. Any help appreciated :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter