• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

When would you retire if money was not a factor?

disneysteve

DIS meet junkie
Assume that you had sufficient funds to support your desired lifestyle. When would you retire?

I can honestly say I would retire immediately. I am not one of those people who would be bored in retirement. I have a lot of outside interests, enjoy helping out at my temple, like buying and selling collectibles on ebay, wish I had more time to putter around the house, would like to cook and bake more, etc., etc.

Although aspects of my job can be very rewarding, the hassle factor is very high and I wouldn't miss it.

How about you?

Immediately, no doubt. I do enjoy what I do, and my DH does as well, but we'd find plenty to do in retirement. This is why we save so aggressively, so that we can retire young enough to do and see all of the things that we'd like....without the time-contraints that our careers place on us.

12-15 years....somewhere in the ballpark of age 50-53 and we're done. We may find some part-time endeavor to keep us occupied when we do retire, but it will be something totally different. And it will be something that does not require us to be in any place for an extended period of time...

definitely retire NOW!!!

but I can't...going to WDW is expensive and I intend to kept going to WDW until I can't drive anymore....

I have a ton of objects to do at home. I can't even kept the place clean right now.... my time is so limited - not to mention my energies.....

Right this second.

I have so many interests, including some that work leaves no time for me to pursue, that I would never be bored.

Yesterday!!! :rotfl2:
My resignation letter is already written and stored on the computer for the future but I do find when I have a day off I usually wind up spending more money so I would probably have to get more involved in volunteering to keep from shopping!!
Trish

Right about.........now!

After taking a few months off to get into the "grove" of being retired, I would look for volunteer work to do, at least a few hours a day a couple days a week. I could find tons of stuff to do to keep myself busy and active.

My parents are retired and have busiers lives than DH and I do right now. They live in an active retirement comunity and they are always doing stuff. Walking group, two domino's groups, my mom volunteers at the local hospital, dad works on his hobbies and projects around the house, mom gardens and knits and does cross stitch, they take day trips and long weekend trips to all kinds of places, plus just socializing with friends. They are definatly not spending their golden years in rocking chairs on the porch, yelling at neighbor kids to stay off the grass! I want to do the same someday...

Now! It would be great for DH & I to be able to spend lots of time with the kids while they are young.

disneysteve said:
Why do you have to stop going when you can't drive?

I hate flying..... I will do - but I hate it.... so by my reasoning the older I get the more I will hate it... :dance3:

Hard to say - I quit my job in December b/c I had started a home based business that was going really well. It continues to do really well and I enjoy it - but keep in mind, I'm now "working" 15 or so hours a week. Some weeks more and definitely networking, but I don't go into work anymore at a company. So I might keep on doing this even if I was "retired"....which I sort of am........

We have been retired officially since 1998 and I wouldn't have it any other way. :thumbsup2

Our interests take up all of our time and we have yet to be bored.

Eh. I'm in no rush, really. My job situation is not intolerable and it keeps me busy. I think DH would really miss his work. I don't ever see him retiring, though I can see him moving into consulting.

I really can't imagine what I'd do all day. I guess there are some classes I want to take and I could always pick up more volunteer work. But I just don't have an overwhelming jones to get there as fast as possible. I once took 6 months off between jobs and I was just bored. The novelty wears off quickly--there's only so much puttering to do!

I find I can pretty much do everything I want in my current situation.

I would also retire immediately. Life is too short to give up 10 hours a day for commuting/making money for a company. I have plenty of outside interests, grandkids, volunteer work, etc., to keep me busy in a good way! :cool1:

Funny you should ask the question, my DH says he wants me to retire once the mortgage is paid, DS's education is funded and he has enough investments to provide us a monthly income.

We are working on this plan as we speak and hope to knock off the mortgage soon.

He has asked me to tell him what I need financially to feel secure enough to give up my career (I'm working on that too).

As soon as we can meet those requirements, I'm "outahea"! :banana:

I already know what I want to do in my "retirement".

1) DS will likely still be in secondary school, so I want to help out there.

2) I will serve my faith as best as I can, volunteering to help out at the offices with administrative stuff.

3) One of my conditions for retirement will be that I get to travel at least twice year, so I'll be busy planning my vacations and then taking them! :teeth:

4) My parents are also still pretty active, but I expect that I will be helping them out with whatever they need too.

5) I will help DH with his business ventures, AND

6) I WILL sleep past 4:45 a.m. EVERYDAY :cloud9: (unlike now.... :guilty: )

I don't enjoy my chosen career (law) so I'd have no good reason to continue to do it once I don't need the income. (And I won't :thumbsup2 ).

Great thread!

Thanks much princess:

I would retire ....this very split second but I need the insurance for DH who has some medical problems. I'm only 40 so it is a long way off. :sad: :sad:

:sad2: Um..I only work part time 3 days a week and I LOVE IT!! It's the right balance of work and family time. I think I could do this forever but maybe go down to 2 days a week when I think I'm getting ready for retirement. One thing I do know I don't EVER want to go back to work full-time again in my life!!! :sad2:

I am currently a SAHM so never!

DH on the other hand would scale back to part time hours and just enjoy not having to work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter