When would you retire if money was not a factor?

I retired at 41, when I retired from the Air Force. I had big plans to do all kind of stuff like organize old photos and put them in albums. That didn't happen and now I want to make them all digital - and that ain't happening, either. I retired on 1 Apr 04 - and I don't know what I do all day - but, you better believe when dh gets home from work - I've been too busy to do anything else;) I love being retired! It's wayyy cool!! I also get to spend all day long hangin' out on the Disboards...now, there's a goal!

I edited to add that I do know what I do all day - I sign up for freebies and read the Disboards. I also am "chief planner" for our upcoming Disney trips - one next month and another in December.

Dh told me yesterday that his bosses wife hired an architect and had a home built in another state. It was recently completed and she moved all of their furniture there - and, herself of course. Well, his boss is really in a conundrum 'cause he doesn't want to retire. This guy was a fighter pilot in the Korean War, and Vietnam - among other little known campaigns. He went to work after his military retirement, is 80yrs old and just can't quit. I guess his poor wife had finally had enough and set herself up near their kids & grandkids. It will be interesting to see what this guy does because he hasn't said anything to anybody about his plans to retire. Gotta love these old veterans - red, white, and blue - through and through!!

disneysteve said:
Assume that you had sufficient funds to support your desired lifestyle. When would you retire?

Although aspects of my job can be very rewarding, the hassle factor is very high and I wouldn't miss it.

How about you?

Agree, but if you knew that you could leave any time wouldn't your attitude towards the job change? Just a thought.

My DH would officially retire now if he could. I think he would volunteer or get involved in something other. Maybe he would consult or be contracted in part time. I just wouldn't go back to work and volunteer at the church or other local charities. The kids are young now too, so spending more time with them would be great especially for DH who works 12 hour shifts.

Great thread! Did this come about from the Bill Gates news? I heard on the public news (yes, I listen to these stations) about his/his wifes foundation and philanthropy.

That's a tough one, Steve. Like you, I sometimes find my job very stressful, but because I am "technically" self employed, I can set my own schedule in terms of how much I work from home, and how much time I actually spend in the office, so that helps me to balance family & work, and manage the stress somewhat. I am a mortgage broker, so that work I do provides an important service by helping people realize their goals of home ownership. As you all know, buying a home, arranging financing, etc is very stressful, so I hope that I make this a smoother process for my clients. I don't mind saying that I am very good at what I do, and my expertise has literally been the difference for some people getting their financing approved. Alot of my files are what we call "cookie-cutter deals" meaning that the credit score, income, downpayment etc is all there, and easy to verify; but there are a dozen or so files over the last couple of years that make me say "This is why I do what I do". We put strategies in place, the clients did what I told them to do, and as a result turned a decline into an approval. It is very gratifying to truly "make a difference" to a family.

Having said that, it's not rocket science (or family medicine) and anybody with proper training and experience can do my job. Sometimes we need to get creative and that's where life experience/common sense come into play. I'm kinda on a 10 yr plan, but that depends a little on whether my husband retires from the military in the next few months. He could retire now with a decent pension (he's been in for more than 20 yrs, although he's only 40). He's getting posted to a base in Quebec (about 8 hours from where we live in Ottawa) and we've decided that the family is not moving. We are in the process of trying to get the posting cancelled, but if it isn't he will go for a couple of months, just to get to the next pension level, and then put in his release. That will undoubtedly change our retirement plans somewhat.

Sorry for the novel.

I'm in no rush to retire. I "retired" once about seven years ago when I was in my early thirties - we had the money so I thought "why not." But I went back to work because I missed the human interaction and the mental stimulation. Volunteer work, writing the odd article, and even teaching part time just didn't cut it for me.

kinntj said:
Agree, but if you knew that you could leave any time wouldn't your attitude towards the job change?
Oh, my attitude toward the job is just fine. The hassles aren't self-induced, they are external and beyond my control. Knowing that I could quit any time wouldn't change that at all. Those issues would still be there just the same.

Great thread! Did this come about from the Bill Gates news?
No, actually, that had nothing to do with it though it is coincidental that I posted it now.

I would retire today if I could afford to. But tomorrow I'd enroll in college for my second degree: high school Spanish teacher. After graduation I'd work for another 20 years --till I'm about 63. All I really need is summers and school holidays off.

Then I'll be ready for "real" retirement...a permanent vacation:
February in a DVC 1Br
July on a NC beach
October or November in NYC (That's for DH...not me. :crazy: :crazy2: ) Nothing againg NY, I'm just not a city girl.

I'd love to retire from my day job and focus on my freelance work.

Although today was fun at the day job. I'm in a position where I get the phone calls with all the "dirt" and there is a HUGE (somewhat humourous) "scandal" going on at work right now, so I was :rotfl2: :lmao: :rotfl: all day as everyone kept calling me with more and more information!

It got to the point where I went to the HR director for some guidence on if I should even be letting people tell me things. (He said it was fine as long as I didn't repeat them to anyone but him.)

Anne

OUTAAAAAAAHERE!!!! Watch my back as I cruise... :moped:

Actually though, I teach kids and love it... On the good days. ;)

Five years ago I would have said no. But, now, if I could live at the same standard of living (including medical), I'd be done.

I work in a very specialized field of special education. I really enjoy the kids, but am tired of the "junk" that goes with it.

Julia

I'd write up my resignation and turn it in tomorrow, then be a full-time SAH, homeschooling mom, instead of working part time like I do now.

If I could be home full time I know my DH would quit his job and focus on his free lance business on a full time basis. I think we would all be much happier that way, but you do what you have to do!

I consider myself to have an ideal work life as it is, I am SAHM during the day and most evenings, but work PT as an asst manager at a fun store in the mall. I work about 12 hrs a week, enough for extra fun cash and adult interaction but few enough hours to really enjoy my children.

DH is military, he retires in 8 yrs. We'll have his retirement and medical. After that, who knows. We really need to step up our savings!

I guess you could say I'm retired now. I stopped working at 30 to be a SAHM, I'll probably go back to work full time somewhere between 45 and 50 and plan to work until I'm 65. (I do work very part time now that my kids are in school)

DH, on the other hand, has worked all along so he hopes to retire in his early to mid fifties and find something part time for a few years until he hits 60. I'm 5 years older than him, so we'll retire together for good when I'm 65 and he's 60.

I don't think any amount of money would change our plans.

Julia M said:
I really enjoy the kids, but am tired of the "junk" that goes with it.Julia

Actually though, I teach kids and love it... On the good days.
As Donna said: On the good days, I love it.

BUT the "junk" pile gets larger and larger.

I would like to not bring home all the emotional baggage I bring home each day now. I would make a very good volunteer!

I went to PT almost 4 yrs ago, but would retire if I had the opportunity. People at work always ask me what I do on my days off. They always say "Don't you get bored?" I can't even comprehend that...rarely if ever do I get bored. It's just not in my nature.

When we move I will probably take my time getting another job because I want to get our family settled into the new neighborhood and really find something that I can have fun with. I will not work more than 20 hrs a week until both kids are in college. Otherwise, I'd miss all the fun.

My official retirement date is April 1, 2007. Would I retire if I could afford it? (5 kids, 3 in post-secondary, still needing some support. 1 in HS, 1 in Grade 8, and I guess weddings will be the next order :earseek: ) I don't think so, but I'm looking forward to that date so I can, say "So long" in quick order if need be.

I teach, I love my job, and I don't feel an urge to quit it, most days. Yep, there's "junk" and there's a new feeling of disrespect that wasn't there even 10 years ago. I teach at a core area-tough, kids have been through he11, but have always been responsive...not, not so much :sad2: . Part time, maybe, if they'd give me the time for vacations :car: :boat: :beach: - especialy in the winter time!. :rotfl:

I plan to retire in 9 years, if money was no object, I'd probably retire in 5.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter