When to make unwilling kid ride?

I made my 7 year old DD ride ToT. She started crying I don't want to. The guys eared in front of us was shaking his head like "oh boy, she's going to ruin the ride". After the first drop she started laughing and he turned around in complete shock! I must admit, she road the skycoaster (180 foot, free fall on a tether above a lake at age 5)... She's done that 3 times.. I knew she would LOVE ToT! I wouldn't have done it if I wasn't 1000% sure she'd love it.

When bribery/bets are enough to get them over their hesitation. Worked on me as a child - my dad "bet" me $5 that if I'd ride the big scary rollercoaster with him, I'd like it. If I hated it, I'd get the money. I loved it and went on it several more times that day.

if a kid is still too scared that something like that still isn't enough to get them to try it, leave them be - maybe offer again next trip.

We just got back and had this this issue with my 9yr old who rode Everest 4 yrs ago - his choice.

Well he got bumped around on Primeval Whirl day one and came off crying. That started the "I'm not riding that!" portion of the trip. He refused to try any coaster, refused Barnstormer, refused 7D Mine train. The CM even told him they had to add the coaster sounds to make it feel more exciting. Refused to go on HM too. He refused the family raft ride at Blizzard Beach. he waited in lines with us on everything and just took the exit and we had clear rules and a plan on where to wait. I had no problem with him doing that - except on Mine Train there is no waiting area like on all the other rides. It spits you right out onto the busy Fantasyland but he just sat right at the exit next to where teh CM's stand.

I did however push him on the last day to ride HM. We had a lot of talks about what he was scared of. Since there was no movement he couldnt justify that. I finally insisted he ride and was very calm and reassuring in my 'demand' that he could hold my iphone with a picture of his dog on the screen, keep his eyes closed or whatever he needed. But I knew he would like it and not be traumatized and have nightmares like a younger child might. He waited through the stretching room but "peaked" a little and seemed a little interested (he waited through before but had bailed at the chicken exit so he had already been through the scariest part). He was very scared and nervous and hugging me tightly, wedged betweene me and my other son. Halfway though the 1st hallway w/ the chandeliers he was asking if we could change a FP to come back (insert forehead slap!!!!)

But I would not force him to ride any of the coasters since he really hates the motion and roughness.

When bribery/bets are enough to get them over their hesitation. Worked on me as a child - my dad "bet" me $5 that if I'd ride the big scary rollercoaster with him, I'd like it. If I hated it, I'd get the money. I loved it and went on it several more times that day.

if a kid is still too scared that something like that still isn't enough to get them to try it, leave them be - maybe offer again next trip.

I think this is an excellent rule of thumb to judge when a kids is just too scared! It separates the "I don't feel like it" from the "I'm terrified and this will scar me for life".

Curious how others handle kids who are scared to ride. I made my scaredy-cat daughter (probably age 6 at the time) go on Thunder Mountain a couple times - no loud crying, just a pouty face and a little pitiful whimpering. I truly thought (and still think) that she would like it if she just tried. Then when she was almost 8 I tried to get her to ride it again, but she burst into tears, so I didn't make her. But I've already told her that she's trying 7DMT next time, despite her protests (she'll be almost 9), so she has 6 months to get used to the idea .

What do you do? No judging each other please! Keep just keep about your own approach!

I was the kid who was scared of all the rides. Terrified. Hated everything. My parents generally made me ride because they really believed I would enjoy it once I experienced it...and while they were right on some (BTMRR when I was about 10), they were wrong on a lot of them.
-One thing my parents did that was helpful was explain me about different kinds of ride restraints and what that meant the ride was like - i.e. if there's no harness, just a lap belt, it can't be too wild and definitely doesn't go upside-down, that sort of thing. It at least helped me know that a ride wasn't nearly as intense as I feared.
-I was a kid in the pre-YouTube era. Have her watch different rides you think she might like/be ready for so she can see what happens. I know that, for me, the unknown was the scariest part and once I was worked up I couldn't enjoy a lot of it. It also enables her to make decisions so she can feel more in-control about it: "That one looks too scary!" and so she doesn't have to ride, or "...that might be kinda fun, I want to see [x section]" so she can try the ride. I wish that had been an option when I was young, and it's something I use to decide what rides I can handle even now.

On our first family Disney trip, my DD needed coaxing to ride Soarin'. It was our first day in the parks. She was fine through the line, but once we got into the loading area, she started to freak out a little bit. I started trying to tell her that she would be fine and would probably enjoy it, but she wasn't having it. A CM overheard and came over and got down to DD's eye level and talked to her in a soothing voice. She told her it would be just like sitting in a rocking chair, except up high, then led her to sit down on the ride and slowly rocked it a little bit to show her. The CM was amazing with her and DD agreed to ride. She loved it and immediately asked to ride again. It set the tone for the rest of the trip, and my daughter was much more open to trying things than she had ever been at places like Six Flags. If not for a little coaxing, she would have missed out on soooo much. I would never drag a kid onto a ride kicking and screaming, and actually did get out of the line for RNRC on our most recent trip when DD panicked in the loading area, but I agree with those who say that most of the time, the parent knows the kid best and the rest of us need to withhold judgment.

For what it's worth, I hate It's Tough to Be a Bug. My kids traded me their willingness to try EE for the first time on our next trip if I would see ITTBAB again with them. All parties are satisfied with this arrangement. :)

A frightened child? Never. A child who just doesn't care for it? As part of a give and take. My son rides Small World with me because I love it and it's part of family time. He does NOT have to ride The Great Movie Ride when we get to Florida because the Aliens freak him out.

While I try to be non-judgmental and realize that everyone's family is unique and may have a different agenda than my own, I can't help but get frustrated when anyone allows a child to carry on very intensely or dramatically for an extended amount of time in the line. Not only do I have to do that silly move of making sure I look at EVERYTHING in the dang queue except them (due to the awkward nature), but they have also been known to influence MY kids from time to time and when that happens...ooooh...IT'S ON!!!! Its already a struggle to gently encourage mine to be brave, but imagine all the hard work for weeks only for them to see a child having a panic meltdown before they start resisting. AAGGHHH!! I'm a parent too so no hard feelings if it escalated suddenly. However, to allow it to go on and on and on through a 30+ wait can come across inconsiderate of others. My favorite is when after ALL THAT drama and fighting, in the end, they don't make the kid do it. Huh? :confused:

I'm still steaming over our friend's child who went bonkers at the point at the japanese hibachi where they make the huge fire for show. The kid is SCREAMING in terror. The mom proceeds to calmly say "sorry, she hates this part". :furious: Ummmm....gee, thanks for the advance warning! My kids had already been use to it for several visits...but nope, not now. They witness that kid acting like her life was on the line so still to this day, I have to request if we can skip that part of the show. :headache:

It depends on your kid and yourself. I would start slow and easy. Instead of starting with Thunder mountain or Space mountain, I would start on the POTC or Splash mountain.

This is obviously a divisive topic. As a former cast member, I've seen parents of all kinds handle the question very differently.

Personally, I wish my parents had been more encouraging of me to try the "scary" rides at a younger age, and to have more confidence to do things that I didn't want to try. So I disagree with the folks who leave it up to their kids 100%, and agree that sometimes you have to push the boundaries at least a little. But you know your kids better than strangers on the Internet do.

Very, very few parents actually "force" a screaming kid onto an attraction. In three years and thousands of guests on Big Thunder Mountain, I always saw those parents abandon the queue at the station. But I have seen many many kids who were scared, hesitant, who finished the ride with huge smiles on their faces. Then again, there was the one time when I tried to reassure a kid that Pirates had a really mild water slide... and many minutes later when he came back into the station he was bawling and glared at me with such furious anger. I always wondered if he cried the whole time!

Our rule is we each ride each ride once. If you hate it still you are exempt from doing it another time that trip. Kids change so often that it's hard to tell what they are going to hate! My youngest DS dislikes BTM but I was shocked when he fell in love with space mountain! You never really know what they are going to like until they get on it! None of the rides at WDW are too intense I don't feel like they can't try it once a trip to see how they feel about it! Otherwise my other DS wouldn't have realized his love for RnR!

Our youngest refused to ride any sort of thrill ride and we never pushed it. I guess we were lucky in a way because DH isn't a fan either and was happy to sit most of the coasters and things out. I would never have made her ride-it's a theme park attraction, not homework or antibiotics or any of the myriad of other stuff I had to "force" the kiddos to do.

What worked for her was having a friend come with us. DD got a little tired of watching her friend enjoying the rides and decided to give Big Thunder a go and never looked back. Today, at 27, she's still not a fan of ToT or mega coasters but will ride most things at WDW. Peer pressure can sometimes be a good thing!

I think it depends on the ride. If it's something like a roller coaster, where the fear is born from the actual motion of the ride, I would do everything I could to convince them, but wouldn't press the issue if they were adamant. If they're afraid because of the theme of the ride, like Pirates of the Caribbean or The Haunted Mansion, and they could close their eyes and bury their head in a parents' lap anytime they felt too afraid, I don't see much harm in forcing them, barring they have a screaming fit or panic attack.

Obviously, every kid is different. If the kid is generally willing to try new things and still refuses to ride, I would be less inclined to get them to try it. If the kid is traditionally timid about most things, I'd probably push the issue more.

I would never make either of my kids ride. They are both adults now but when my son was in early teens he didn't want to do Test Track at all. My DD and I went without him. After this first experience we couldn't say enough good things about it. He immediately wanted us to jump back in line and he had a blast! Sometimes all it takes is a big sister! That may be why he was willing to ride EVERYTHING at DL with her in Oct 2013. He probably wouldn't have taken a chance on Space Mt., Tower of Terror, the Matterhorn, etc. without her along.

Even young adults can be timid. Young adults? Who am I kidding? Even Moms can say no to certain experiences!

I was a thrill seeker as a small child and went on everything I was tall enough to ride. There was just one day I had a bad time on BTMRR (despite being on it a million times before). I was terrified during and after it and I was suddenly so nervous about going on rides or any kind. I can't recall ever being forced on anything by my parents but I can remember them being frustrated at times that I suddenly wouldn't go on things I'd previously ridden. I can remember being absolutely terrified and it wasn't anything to do with 'acting up' or being awkward, I was genuinely scared despite not really knowing why even now. I missed out on a lot of things for years until I plucked up the courage to do some rollercoasters in the UK and when I went back to Disney, I went on most things.

As an adult I've been on all sorts of bigger rollercoasters elsewhere (Kraken, Duelling Dragons, Hulk etc.) but I still don't like everest, won't do RnRC and am touch and go with space mountain. Sometimes I'm really up for it and love it, others I feel sick at the thought and have ducked out of the line. Yes, at family gatherings the 'hilarious' memory of me screaming about a ride I'd been on before is still brought up. I still don't see the funny side.

Yes, be wary of kids 'acting up/out' but if a child is scared and doesn't want to ride, never force them. Would you honestly force an adult to ride something or do something they didn't like? No...probably not.

We didn't make our son, but...
He did BTMRR willingly, several times, when he was 5.
So when he is 9, I make FP+ for 7DMT, thinking no problem. He willingly gets on, but he is "terrified" and refuses to do anything fast again. We guilt-tripped him into Space Mountain (it's DH's favorite ride and it was closed when we came in 2009, DS was too short in 2011, so he hasn't been on it since 2003 and he wants to ride with someone, but I have to watch the other kids). Then, we rewarded him with a pin and a T-shirt. Then, he decided he would do BTMRR (for me) and Splash so he could have conquered all the mountains.
If he had cried in line or anything, no way we would have made him. We didn't threaten or punish, we just talked him into it.
Still, I feel a little bad. So, next trip next year, he doesn't have to do any of them.

A frightened child? Never. A child who just doesn't care for it? As part of a give and take. My son rides Small World with me because I love it and it's part of family time. He does NOT have to ride The Great Movie Ride when we get to Florida because the Aliens freak him out.
I missed this reply. Gotta confess that I absolutely made DS ride "baby" rides with the fam. He wasn't afraid, just being an adolescent boy. We did drop him (along with DH) from CRT once he got older, not spending those kinda $$$ just to watch him sulk.

While I try to be non-judgmental and realize that everyone's family is unique and may have a different agenda than my own, I can't help but get frustrated when anyone allows a child to carry on very intensely or dramatically for an extended amount of time in the line. Not only do I have to do that silly move of making sure I look at EVERYTHING in the dang queue except them (due to the awkward nature), but they have also been known to influence MY kids from time to time and when that happens...ooooh...IT'S ON!!!! Its already a struggle to gently encourage mine to be brave, but imagine all the hard work for weeks only for them to see a child having a panic meltdown before they start resisting. AAGGHHH!! I'm a parent too so no hard feelings if it escalated suddenly. However, to allow it to go on and on and on through a 30+ wait can come across inconsiderate of others. My favorite is when after ALL THAT drama and fighting, in the end, they don't make the kid do it. Huh?

Happened to us!

My grandson is 3. He wants to ride everything and he's tall enough for most of it. He does have some fear of the dark though and so we tried our best to talk him out of TOT. We didn't try to scare him, but we explained everything and showed him videos in hopes he'd decide he didn't want to. Despite our best efforts, he was adamant, he wanted to ride. So, we got the FP+'s for everyone and skipped the ability to get a rider switch pass in our pre-planning.

Everything went great, he wanted to ride, he got in the queue and he made it thru the pre-ride stuff with flying colors. Then we all move to the line and a little girl in front of us- smaller than my grandson and probably not much older started screaming and crying not wanting to get on the ride. My grandson didn't say anything, but his eyes were getting bigger and bigger and we could see it coming. We stopped, let tons of people pass in front of us and got away from them as best we could. He never asked to leave the line and we would have if he had wanted to- but it sure put a scare in him.

So if your kid is screaming to not ride- LEAVE. I'm sorry that it's a pain to have to lose your fp's ( although I'm sure the CM's would make an exception), or have to ride alone or take more time getting through the ride but it's your kid and we sure shouldn't have to mess up our plans because your kid doesn't want to ride. I felt so sorry for that little girl and I feel the same way anytime I see a kid begging not to ride. I may not know the kid, but I know fear when I see it and the kids I've seen aren't faking.

It is important that your children trust you. When they trust that you will keep them safe and tell them the truth, they are more prepared and have the confidence to try new things.

My husband and I have always given our daughter the option of trying thrill rides. On our first trip, we prepared her with lots of information on the rides. We encouraged her to try everything, but at no point did we push her to go on anything. If something really terrified her, we exited the ride. She didn't need to become hysterical and frighten other kids. With each trip, she tries something new and more daring than the trip before. She trusts us because we never tried to manipulate her or force her to do something that she didn't want to do.

She is a thrill rider now because she was never forced to go on any rides.

My life-long close and trusting relationship with my child is more important to me than missing out on a thrill ride or two.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter