What's The Next Thing To Disappear at MK?

This is actually a damn good question, because everything I'm thinking of that would be "unpopular" is also too classic to be removed. In my mind the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse isn't very popular these days (though I could be wrong) but it's been there since opening day and removing it is sacrilege to the Disney faithful. In addition, that's a bit open space that would need to be filled in with dirt before anything could take its place.

The same goes for Carousel of Progress. It's frankly one of my favorite attractions at Walt Disney World primarily because I love the old 60s World's Fair stuff, but I can't imagine patrons are breaking down the doors to view it these days. As with the treehouse, it's a classic, so I don't see it going anywhere, but that's some prime Tomorrowland space that it's taking up. Hmm.

Stitch's Great Escape is simply an okay attraction. It's Disney taking an existing "ride" system and retheming it with a popular character. I would imagine the whole building would have to be gutted for something to take its place, and frankly I'm fine with Stitch still being there as opposed to another gift shop or restaurant opening in its place.

Stitch's Great Escape is simply an okay attraction. It's Disney taking an existing "ride" system and retheming it with a popular character. I would imagine the whole building would have to be gutted for something to take its place, and frankly I'm fine with Stitch still being there as opposed to another gift shop or restaurant opening in its place.
Careful, or WDW might just decide to go "retro" and put the original ride back in that space...

Mission to Mars

Stop hating on the Speedway, or even worse suggesting they make it electric. Electric vroom vroom noises would just be ridiculous. The noise, rumble, and vibration are 2/3 of the fun. Could it use a good renovation, yes. I doubt Disney will get rid of it because it normally has a decent line.

Stitch on the other hand is an embarrassment to the park. Can you imagine the wait if they brought back Alien Encounter?

If the Speedway was ditched you would see some sad parents and kids standing by the closed entrance. If Stitch closed it would not even be noticed.

Here is an idea. Bring back a revamped Captain EO in the Alien Encounter/Stitch theater. :)

so the other 1/3 is hitting the car in front of you :duck:

The Tiki Room is not likely to go anywhere considering they spent the time and effort to return it to a semi-original form after the Tiki gods caused Iago to burst into flames. The fact that they've gone out of their way to streamline but, more or less, keep the original Tiki Room and Country Bear performances leads me to believe they won't be going anywhere any time soon.

The SFR treehouse could use an update for sure. The script and animatronics for the Jungle Cruise could be redone too. But the footprint for the treehouse is tiny, not much else is going to be able to go there. The Jungle Cruise is still incredibly popular and something that the company seems to like. The Jungle Cruise related stuff outside of MK suggests it isn't going to be drastically altered soon either.

As for major ride attractions, Stitch getting the boot for something else is likely in the semi-near future. It's not as terrible as everyone says (the Stitch animatronic is really well done as are the defense gun arms) but the line is always dead. Buzz Lightyear needs a drastic overhaul as does the Speedway (who hasn't predicted this relic will be leaving?) but I think the next thing to leave MK is going to be minor.

My real money is on something like Sonny Eclipse being removed from Cosmic Ray's, the removal of the stage that currently houses the Incredibles Dance Party, or the loss of the Frontierland Shootin' Arcade. The impact would be minimal and wouldn't require an investment to build a new attraction immediately.

While I suppose the first two aren't really "attractions" I'm going to go ahead and include them anyway.
Come on now this is modern Disney. Sonny won't be removed. His hands will stop working, then his face and then they'll just spin him around so you're looking at his back. As long as you hear the track that's all that matters.

My husband just loves Country Bears Jamboree. I think it is cute and I enjoy it but dh insists , I mean insists that we not miss it.

Come on now this is modern Disney. Sonny won't be removed. His hands will stop working, then his face and then they'll just spin him around so you're looking at his back. As long as you hear the track that's all that matters.

And then add a strobe light to give the illusion of movement a-la Disco Yeti

Last edited:
I hope Marie still continues doing meet and greets in the Magic Kingdom. Since she has tons of merchandise at Walt Disney World.

Profits drive the equation.

No, new attractions should not wait to be built until after crowds go down. But that is not the case.

FantasyLand was the largest MK expansion since the Park opened....to meet the challenge of thousands of new hotel rooms.

AvatarLand and a nighttime show (that was seemingly impossible) are being added to AK.

Soarin' is adding an additional screen and Norway and Innoventions are undergoing changes too.

Hollywood Studios has removed it's iconic Sorcerer's Hat, shut down some attractions, is moving Sing-Along, adding another Toy Story track, has added a new stage, and will likely be announcing major changes.....which I believe will be completed by the 50th Anniversary in 2021.

Downtown Disney Springs is once again turning into a destination.

So, my thesis is that the marginal changes that this thread has suggested will not occur any time soon. Oddly enough, you seem to agree.

Yes, I do agree. I agree with you that they are working on many things coming up - just as I said in my post that none of these MK changes people are suggesting are going to happen because of the amount of capital that is already committed to the projects you listed above. Doesn't mean I agree with that decision. I think it's a shame that the decision makers have allowed many iconic MK (i.e. "original" DW) attractions to fall into disrepair and obsolescence. I don't think they'll make any commitment of capital to improve/refurbish/renovate/reimagine these attractions - I think it's short-sighted.

I like the way you think. Unfortunately, Disney World Execs have a different philosophy. I don't think they'll make any major overhauls soon. With the New Fantasyland bringing in the crowds and the revenue, I doubt that the execs are entertaining any major expansion or remodel ideas for the near future. However, I sincerely hope that in this time of prosperity and ever increasing crowds for the parks that they will at least refurbish the old neglected rides that are in such need of some TLC.

I hope so too.

Almost all of Tomorrowland needs a refurb. So I'd say Stitch, Monster's Inc Laugh Floor, or Tomorrowland Speedway

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter