What Will You NOT Eat?

:idea: I absolutely did not know vegans didn't eat honey. Never really thought it through, I guess.

I eat honey occasionally. I also wear leather shoes and boots; not proudly but I do. Mostly I eat a plant based diet for my health. I'm not an ethical vegan however eating this way has opened my eyes much wider to the animal cause.

I do greatly admire ethical vegans.

My mom didn't make us eat what was on the plate, but she sure as hell wasn't be a short-order cook. We could either go hungry or make a PB&J. Her exception to this was when it came to what other people cooked, especially Grandpa. When Grandpa made vegetable soup, by God we were going to his house and by God I was going to eat it whether I liked it or not.

To this day I can't stand vegetable soup.

I would have been happy with the non-short order cook. I would have been thrilled with PB&J. It was being forced to eat whatever she made that pushed it over the top for me.

I eat honey occasionally. I also wear leather shoes and boots; not proudly but I do. Mostly I eat a plant based diet for my health. I'm not an ethical vegan however eating this way has opened my eyes much wider to the animal cause.

I do greatly admire ethical vegans.
I've got a vague understanding of ethical veganism and I guess it breaks down in that I've not considering bees as animals, but then again if one considers any living thing that isn't a plant is an animal, it's logical.

I'm not even slightly bothered by what others eat or don't eat, or why. I find it very illogical that vegetarians and vegans report being derided for NOT eating meat (or whatever). If ideology is in play, I could see it going the other way, but why on earth would it bother any omnivore that somebody else chooses differently? I don't exactly lay awake nights pondering this, but honestly, I just can't make sense of it. :confused3

I am a vegan. I don't eat any animals or animal products (no meat of any kind, no milk, cheese, butter, eggs, honey) for ethical reasons.

I also don't eat mushrooms, green peppers (other colors are OK), green peas, or beets for reasons that these taste yucky to me.

Other than that, I love all other foods

My husband is vegan, one of my DD is a vegetarian with a few occasional exceptions, and one of my DD is a burger-loving carnivore. It's all fine with me, I strongly believe everyone has the right to make their own food choices. I would never get preachy or try to tell someone else what they should or shouldn't eat. Our family is all about individual choices and options to suit everyone's needs.

Out of choice - offal, oysters, baked beans, lemongrass, black pudding, runny eggs....

Because I'm no longer allowed to - gluten, lactose, mushrooms, seeded fruits.....

I've got a vague understanding of ethical veganism and I guess it breaks down in that I've not considering bees as animals, but then again if one considers any living thing that isn't a plant is an animal, it's logical.

I'm not even slightly bothered by what others eat or don't eat, or why. I find it very illogical that vegetarians and vegans report being derided for NOT eating meat (or whatever). If ideology is in play, I could see it going the other way, but why on earth would it bother any omnivore that somebody else chooses differently? I don't exactly lay awake nights pondering this, but honestly, I just can't make sense of it. :confused3

Bees ARE animals, biologically. I do not know why it bothers people, but yes, most vegans will tell you that they often get told off or subjected to lectures.

I don't think there is anything especially admirable about being an ethical vegan. I grew up on a farm, and saw the suffering of animals but accepted what my parents told me - that it was necessary, we had to eat them or we'd die. I believed that for a long time. Then I got older and learned I could eat a healthy diet without causing suffering and death. Why wouldn't I do that? To me, knowing what animals have to go through makes it so easy to avoid eating those foods. (Especially now, with many vegan convenience foods on the market.) Anyway, I didn't meant to turn it into a lecture on being vegan - I'm not wanting to push it on people, at all. Just explaining why I do it.

I don't get it either. You wouldn't believe how many people, especially family members, took offence when we stopped eating meat and dairy. Especially comments like I was depriving my children although they were extremely healthy, athletic and grew and matured normally. My sons, as adults will now eat meat and fish occasionally but my daughter and husband don't.

I've been a vegan for years and yet my sister-in-law recently referred to our diet my a fad. I'm trying to be one of the cool kids. Lol.

A lot - but the first two that come to mind are sushi (the pot cooking the rice is right there - throw the fish in!) and oysters of any kind (cooked or raw). On the oysters - it is safer to eat raw chicken than it is to eat raw oysters.

Organ meats, tongue, feet, intestines, or other funky parts, game, lamb, veal. (Goat? No way. Don't like goat cheese, either.)
Raw food
Love clams, scallops, haddock, cod, shrimp, calamari, but not a fan of salmon, swordfish, mackerel, smelts, or other fish or oysters, really. I can eat lazy man's lobster, but don't like to crack it open.
I can't think of much else at this time.

Interesting re delicious apples. I buy lots of different kinds of apples every week, depending on what we're running low on, and what's on sale, but I'll always have an assortment of Fuji, Gala, Honeycrisp, Delicious, Granny Smiths, etc. We eat them every day.

I searched around and could not find one bit of evidence that Red Delicious apples were less than any other apple in terms of health benefits. If anything, there's research to support that Granny Smith apples could be the healthiest of all apples. And besides those two, some of the apples "newer" to us here in the U.S. are very sweet, which makes them appealing.

One problem I have found with Delicious apples is if you leave them out at room temperature, they ripen and get to a point where they're woody. Yuck. I agree they're gross when they get that way. But store them in the fridge and they stay nice and crisp for a long time. Only buy them if they're shiny and firm.

So buy whatever apples suit your preferences, they are all healthy.

https://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/blog/health-benefits-apples/

A lot - but the first two that come to mind are sushi (the pot cooking the rice is right there - throw the fish in!) and oysters of any kind (cooked or raw). On the oysters - it is safer to eat raw chicken than it is to eat raw oysters.
:scared1: OMG - I've never heard it put that way before, and if it's true...:eek: Nobody, anywhere eats raw chicken!

....the.....the.....the....the "b" word....:scared:......:crazy2:......b.e.e.t.s

YUCK!

[....it conjurs up such BAD memories....]

I am one of those people that don't eat vegetables (or many fruits). I honestly don't think I have a very balanced diet. However, I have a very strong gag reflux & just can't get them down. I wish I could, but I can't. A tiny piece of lettuce hidden in a sandwich totally makes me gag. I'm in my forties and at this point very healthy. Totally regular, maintain a healthy weight, and am almost never sick. Haven't even had so much as a cold in years.

I'm nit big on veggies, but I could eat salad twice a day for the rest of my life & never get sick of it LOL

I'm nit big on veggies, but I could eat salad twice a day for the rest of my life & never get sick of it LOL
Are you making some kind of distinction between vegetables in general and leafy salad greens in particular, or would you eat any vegetable if it was chopped up in a bowl with dressing on it?

Bees ARE animals, biologically. I do not know why it bothers people, but yes, most vegans will tell you that they often get told off or subjected to lectures.

I don't think there is anything especially admirable about being an ethical vegan. I grew up on a farm, and saw the suffering of animals but accepted what my parents told me - that it was necessary, we had to eat them or we'd die. I believed that for a long time. Then I got older and learned I could eat a healthy diet without causing suffering and death. Why wouldn't I do that? To me, knowing what animals have to go through makes it so easy to avoid eating those foods. (Especially now, with many vegan convenience foods on the market.) Anyway, I didn't meant to turn it into a lecture on being vegan - I'm not wanting to push it on people, at all. Just explaining why I do it.

Serious question, is it believed that harvesting honey creates suffering for the bees? Or, is the objection just because its animal based. I always thought of honey as a by-product, not really the same as dairy. But, I've never really given it a ton of thought.

Are you making some kind of distinction between vegetables in general and leafy salad greens in particular, or would you eat any vegetable if it was chopped up in a bowl with dressing on it?

No, I definitely wouldn't eat just "any" veggie chopped up in a salad. And even some leafy green ones are a no-go (kale). I do eat peas, corn, green beans, and a few others. But, they all rank below meat, grain, & salad on my preference list :)

No, I definitely wouldn't eat just "any" veggie chopped up in a salad. And even some leafy green ones are a no-go (kale). I do eat peas, corn, green beans, and a few others. But, they all rank below meat, grain, & salad on my preference list :)
And we're calling salad just lettuce, or what? {{sigh}} My DH is not a veggie guy either, which is a real drag sometimes because he won't even tolerate certain things on his plate, let alone eat them. On principle he'll actually make an alternate selection at restaurants if something he wants lists sides he doesn't like. Crazy right?!? :crazy:

And we're calling salad just lettuce, or what? {{sigh}} My DH is not a veggie guy either, which is a real drag sometimes because he won't even tolerate certain things on his plate, let alone eat them. On principle he'll actually make an alternate selection at restaurants if something he wants lists sides he doesn't like. Crazy right?!? :crazy:

Yes to:
Several types of lettuce
Spinach
Cauliflower
Broccoli
Olives (several types)
Onions
Peppers
Chicken :)
Cheese

No to:
Tomatoes
Carrots
Cucumbers
Corn
Kale
Beans

The above lists are not complete, just what I can think of.

It could be as simple as lettuce, or any combination of the "yes" list :)

Don't try and give me warm mozzarella or warm ricotta cheese in a bowl ewww. I can eat those cheeses warm though if they are in a lasagna. My MIL always says she wants to make these cheeses homemade and she did serve them to my kids but I just sat there and said no thank you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter