What restaurant was a pleasant surprise for you?

glaserjm

DIS Veteran
We all know that there are certain restaurants that we avoid for one reason or another, but what restaurant have you eventually tried that turned out to be a great experience?
For us it was Olivia's at OKW. I had heard good things, but always just felt there were more interesting places to try. It wasn't until our third stay at OKW that we finally tried Olivia's for breakfast and it was a great decision! I would say it rivals almost any other breakfast on property!

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

We were in DTD last year, and we opted to try Portobello for lunch as the menu looked intriguing. Turned out it was a great choice. Ambience was good, food was excellent, and the service was some of the best we've had anywhere. We were quite surprised at the quality of the food, and we've vowed to go back at a later date.

Hollywood Brown Derby was a real surprise I had heard it was good but it was really FANTASTIC!!! Sanaa and Flying Fish were in the same boat for me :)

Sanaa! Wasn't sure what to expect....it was fantastic!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Biergarten. I avoided it for years because I do not like buffets. The first time was a pleasant surprise and repeat visits have not disappointed.

Tusker House lunch! We really enjoyed it...so glad we ignored some of the bad reviews and checked it out for ourselves.

DH says Le Cellier and Yak and Yeti, however, I really think it has more to do with not having to eat burgers and fries all the time while at the parks. He then said, "All of them."

Lunch at Captain's Grill (YC/BC). Just not a fan of food options at DHS, so we hopped over there. Not busy, VERY YUMMY, and excellent service!

Via Napoli... growing up with a mom who cooked the best Italian food, I tend to avoid many Italian restaurants... Via Napoli is now a first night tradition for me.

Crew's Cup.

Beaches and Cream.

Olivia's as well.

Earl of Sandwich.

Mama Melrose's.

The Wave dinner and The Wave breakfast.:thumbsup2 I know it's been there for a while but we stumbled upon it a few months after it opened for dinner and then went back for breakfast and have made it a "must do" ever since.:thumbsup2

Via Napoli was also a pleasant surprise for us as well. Read great things here but still wasn't sure how pizza could be "that" good, well, it was amazing for us.:goodvibes

Hollywood Brown Derby was a real surprise I had heard it was good but it was really FANTASTIC!!! Sanaa and Flying Fish were in the same boat for me :)

I took my kids and my parents to the Brown Derby last summer and we also all had great meals. My dad is still talking about it.

Sci-Fi...the concept seemed cheesy but the food was great and it was a welcome break for the park.

Sci Fi was better than we had been led to believe. Reviews were mediocre at best. We finally ate there in December. We both enjoyed the meal and the restaurant itself.

La Hacienda de San Angel. I booked this on a whim because I wanted to plan a dinner for my final night, and it was a WS restaurant I hadn't tried before. Really enjoyed the tilapia, plus chips, salsas, rice, beans (black beans were really good!), tortillas - and apple empanada w/ice cream for dessert. I would gladly go back.

Pakey said:
Biergarten. I avoided it for years because I do not like buffets. The first time was a pleasant surprise and repeat visits have not disappointed.

Same!!! We have also avoided it for years and ate lunch there this past 2/24 after my dh ran the Princess. We LOVED it! The food was tasty and fresh and our server was attentive and nice. The show was fun and we had a really great time. Must do from now on!

brertoad said:
Crew's Cup.

Beaches and Cream.

Olivia's as well.

Earl of Sandwich.

Mama Melrose's.

We were pleasantly surprised by Mama Melrose as well. Granted we only ate a light lunch of caesar salad and the salami plate but it was super fresh and yummy.

Kouzzina.

We went there within the first 2 weeks of its opening and the service and food were just . . . not good. (In retrospect, they were still in the "learning curve".)

Fast forward a couple of years.

I kept reading positive reviews and decided to give it another chance. So glad I did! We had great service and delicious food.

San Angel Inn- last minute ADR change and it was delicious
Sanaa - we went expecting decent and it was AMAZING!

---------
1991 - CBR- First Trip to Disney
2012 - POFQ - First Trip as an Adult
2013 - Wilderness Lodge - Engagement Celebration Trip
2013 - CSR - Sister Trip

Rose and Crown for dinner. Grand Floridian cafe for breakfast. Tutto Gusto for a snack.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter