1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

What restaurant was a pleasant surprise for you?

Discussion in 'Disney Restaurants' started by glaserjm, Apr 6, 2013.

1. VACamm

VACamm DIS Veteran

Rose and Crown... we tried it last year for the first time and we ALL LOVED IT. We are eating there again this June :)

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. shenaniganzz

shenaniganzz DIS Veteran

For us it was dinner at 'Ohana. I actually cancelled our reservation there our first trip but went our last trip and was happy. We had read mixed reviews and I was nervous! We had an early reservation so maybe that made a difference but I'm glad we tried it and we'll go back!

4. housetomouse

housetomouse DIS Veteran

Rainforest Cafe at Animal Kingdom was a total surprise. I've never been to one before. We were seated at lunch without a reservation so that in itself was a surprise, and the restaurant was a lot of fun. The food was good enough, just had nachos, quesadillas etc, what I expected.

5. Mariannekay

Mariannekay Now, think of the happiest things. It's the same a

This. TH wound up being the best meal of our trip!

6. Masonmj84

Masonmj84 DIS Veteran

For me, the top two pleasant surprises so far have been:

1. Via Napoli. I'd read the rave reviews but somehwat dismissed them because we're talking about theme park pizza, which generally sets the bar pretty low. But this is genuinely delicious pizza that, IMO, holds its own with any pizza establishment outside of a theme park.

2. 50's Prime Time. Not so much for the food but because the overall experience was just so much more fun than I anticipated (and I'm an introvert). And the food, while not amazing, was better than I was expecting (especially the PB&J milkshake, which is heavenly).

7. Zooshoveller

Zooshoveller WAR EAGLE

Akershus for dinner!

Trying Tusker House for breakfast next trip.

8. MarkyMouse

MarkyMouse Mouseketeer

We have had dinner ressies for biergarten in Germany on two or three occasions and just always found an excuse to cancel. Well last week I was determined to go and daggonit, I LOVED IT! It was my favorite over chefs de France AND BOG! Now mind you my family doesn't agree with that last part but they DID like it a lot too.

9. MinnieLovesMickey12

MinnieLovesMickey12 DIS Veteran

I think the 2 places that were a nice surprise for me was also Olivia's at OKW and Cape May at the Beach Club. DH didn't like Cape May but I did. And the kids, who all 3 love Crab legs really enjoyed it.

10. Buckalew11

Buckalew11 2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

We ate here in January (Crew's Cup) after the 1/2 Marathon and it was a total surprise! We both enjoyed it and we own at the BCV so you would have thought we would have been there before but we always walked on by. We'll definitely eat there again.

11. Satchmo128

Satchmo128 I could ride Expedition Everest over and over and

We have been very impressed by Raglan Road (DH still talks about the shepherd's pie!) and Teppan Edo (DH isn't an "Asian-food fan".....but this was his favorite meal from our honeymoon in 2009).

:)

12. Marblies

Marblies DIS Veteran

:thumbsup2 It was a hard sell using 2 meal points, but we were in a packed park with plans to see F!, so it seemed like a wise decision. Made reservations at 11 am for 5 pm same day. Much finer dining than we expected and all agreed that we would actually pay cash for a meal of that caliber. Also, came with the bonus of an appetizer on the F! package. We were a table of 7, all ordered different items and all very happy.

13. sabcook

sabcook Mouseketeer

The Plaza- remarkably nice to get out of the chaos for an hour or so in the middle of the day

Grand Floridian Cafe - similar reason - a welcome break from character breakfasts

Earl of Sandwich - suprised by just how good they are - especially the Holiday sandwich :lovestruc

CRT breakfast - i know not many will agree with me on this one but I was so hesitant to try given the cost and the reviews that when we finally did I couldn't believe how much I loved the breakfast. Thinking of the stuffed french toast makes me smile every time.

14. Kae

Kae DIS Veteran

The Plaza as a PP said it is a great break form the parks the service & the food was great. GF Cafe we have done Breakfast & Dinner. Cape May Breakfast when we took DS on his first trip we decided to take a day off from the parks, relax & swim. Went down to the Front Desk & asked where we should go to Breakfast & The CM looked and saw an opening at Cape May I took it but thought if we could get in short noticed must not be much. We loved it.

Kae

15. meredith1

meredith1 DIS Veteran

breakfast buffet at The Wave! It was really, really good!

16. sabcook

sabcook Mouseketeer

Yay! - We are going to try this one for the first time this year.

17. BlackMagicWoman

BlackMagicWoman Mouseketeer

Boatwrights had a surprisingly good breakfast. I was sad that they discontinued it.

18. lovin'fl

lovin'fl DIS Veteran

The big one that comes to mind is Jiko. We had it booked for our summer 2008 trip with SIL and her family. They selected it and I was NOT looking forward to it. I thought it would be a bit more adventuresome than I prefer. It was delish and is my fave TS place at WDW.

19. DVCMikey

DVCMikey DIS Veteran

The place I always tell people to try is the Crews cup in the Yatch club. It is a nice little lounge/bar. The food is good, they have steak and burgers. They have truffle fries which are really great.

Its a very family friendly place, not really bright but a nice place to hit up at the end of the night, or for lunch etc.

20. tsme

tsme DIS Veteran

For us it was Tony's in MK. I read alot of bad reviews & was worried, but the food was great! We plan on going back during our next trip; which will hopefully be soon.

21. BringingUpDisney

BringingUpDisney DIS Veteran

The Territory Lounge at the Wilderness Lodge (I know, technically not a restaurant) - Cheddar Cheese/Beer Fondue was so delicious we ended up going a second time and we weren't even staying there! :woohoo: