• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What port would you like to see one of the new ships based out of on a yearly basis?

What port would you like to see one of the new ships primarily based out of?

• West Coast

Votes: 67 33.5%
  • Europe

Votes: 16 8.0%
  • Hawaii

Votes: 28 14.0%
  • New York

Votes: 42 21.0%
  • Baltimore

Votes: 21 10.5%
  • Boston

Votes: 13 6.5%
  • New Orleans

Votes: 37 18.5%
  • Asia

Votes: 13 6.5%
  • Miami

Votes: 8 4.0%

• Total voters
Sydney, Australia since we live so close to the port here! Yearly cruises on DCL sounds like heaven.

Absolutely! We sailed on the Fantasy out of PC last year and love love loved it, but realistically we're just not going to be able to sail DCL regularly as they will all involve a long flight.

I don't think we would get one of the new ships, but if they could patch up the Magic or Wonder and send it across... it could home port in Sydney from Nov-Apr to do Australian/South Pacific/New Zealand cruises, and then head up to Asia for the Australian winter.

That'd be brilliant.

actually they have trouble when they sail the magic in europe....lots of horror stories....
next time you're on the magic, chat up the CMs....any who have been on her in europe would be familiar (e.g., actual physical fighting between some of the european nationalities, etc.)

We experienced some strange stuff on our back-2-back cruises in 2007 -- and saw some even stranger things!

Miami is an excellent idea. For those interested -- I have added Miami to the poll. Please notice that you can cast more than one vote.

cultural differences....some quite pronounced....

it doesn't have to affect the cruise, but it certainly can...

Didn't affect our experience, but it sure was a hoot to watch (especially the European woman who made a point of arriving 20 minutes late every night for dinner so she could make an entrance -- in the shortest and most glittery dress she could find, holding the hand of her embarrassed looking son! It became the entertainment of the evening to see what she would -- or would not -- be wearing. Don't even get me started on what she wore around the kid's pool! )

Didn't affect our experience, but it sure was a hoot to watch (especially the European woman who made a point of arriving 20 minutes late every night for dinner so she could make an entrance -- in the shortest and most glittery dress she could find, holding the hand of her embarrassed looking son! Don't even get me started on what she wore around the kid's pool! )

how about during the theater show, when belle came onto the stage to perform her part, a european mom lifted her daughter onto the stage and pushed her up to say hi to belle....guess she thought it was a meet and greet..

don't recall that ever happening in the US...

we live on the european side of the atlantic, so we're more than used to the cultural differences..
well...'used to' isn't quite right...
i don't think i'll ever get used to people not waiting in line etc etc..
but we're not surprised..

Folks - this is a question about where you would like a ship based, not a referendum on the manners of foreign cultures.

the port the ship is based in will most definitely impact the cruise experience....tis all we are saying...

might be for the good or the bad....but it's something to take into account...

Last edited:
Folks - this is a question about where you would like a ship based, not a referendum on the manners of foreign cultures.

Yes, I know -- I started it. But experiences for ships sailing from certain ports is all part of it, and could affect people's decisions on what ports they want to sail out of.

Never mind -- not worth it. :duck:

Back to fun postings.

Last edited:
I voted West Coast. It's still about a 10-12 hour drive for us to get to LA/San Diego, but a once a year 3-5 day would be more doable for the super lucrative Utah crowd. We love our Disney here! Last week was UEA break (jokingly called Utah Escapes to Anaheim) and EVERYONE goes to Disneyland. I didn't this year, but I have in previous years and the parking lots are nothing but minivans and suburbans with Utah license plates. Due to cost it wouldn't be 1:1 but I think a semi-permanent west coast berth would get a good number of Utah families out there. They were doing KSF last time the Wonder was in SoCal long term, but it was also just as the economy was starting to recover so the timing was pretty lousy - me and my wife did a 7-day in a 10C for $1200!

I voted for NY however I don't think the new cruise ships with do much to expand where DCL cruises from. The average life span for a cruise ship is 25 years by the time the 6th ship is complete and sailing the Magic will be 25 years old. Not saying they won't but in my opinion it isn't likely

I voted for NY however I don't think the new cruise ships with do much to expand where DCL cruises from. The average life span for a cruise ship is 25 years by the time the 6th ship is complete and sailing the Magic will be 25 years old. Not saying they won't but in my opinion it isn't likely

Interesting point -- I never thought of that. Oh, if they retire the Magic I sure hope they make use of her for a hotel or something. I can't imagine her being scuttled or scrapped!

Seattle ! Omg having a port that's a 1.5 hour drive away would be amazing . Getting my Disney on without 12-14 hours of airports , planes, and layovers.

Seattle ! Omg having a port that's a 1.5 hour drive away would be amazing . Getting my Disney on without 12-14 hours of airports , planes, and layovers.

I kinda left West Coast as open options -- Seattle, San Diego, etc. I feel the same way about NYC though -- we can get there by driving only 90 minutes and anything that doesn't require an airplane or airport security is a win win in my book!

I would like to see a ship home ported out of Galveston. So many options including Central America.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter