• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What have you learned the hard way?

momz

DIS Veteran
As we prepare to head out for our tent camping adventure, I am making packing lists and going over them to try to figure out what I am missing. And I got to wondering...

I'm sure we will learn a lot from this experience. I expect some of our Dis members have stories to tell about what was learned in your early days of camping.

So, for fun, tell me some stories. Anything?

I camp at Pennsic each year, which is in PA not FL so some of the advice may not be transferable. I hope some of it helps, though!

1) Bring doubles and triples of everything related to keeping dry, keeping warm, and keeping your tent secure
2) you can never ever have enough tarps, towels, sheets, blankets, socks, or really anything
3) Bring a heavy blanket - it can get cold at night. And 55 degrees outside in a tent is a VERY different thing that 55 in a house
4) Bring layers, for the same reason as above
5) Plan for all weather, really, as much as is feasible
6) Make sure you have a lot of snacks that aren't salty or chocolate-y or gummy. You get hungry while camping! Dried fruit chips are a favorite of mine
7) Take ALL of the water
8) Bring more things to do than you think need. I bring books and magazines, my phone, an Anker charger and some crafts to do
9) Create a set up that is easily maintained and secure so that you don't have to constantly adjust tent lines and the like
10) Bring more tent stakes than the tent comes with. You WILL want to secure the tent extremely well, and most of the pegs that come with tents are cheap and will break
11) Don't sweat small stuff. Things are gonna get broken, muddy, lost, etc. It doesn't have to ruin things.
12) Take the bed off the floor if you can. Get cots or a cheap futon frame. It makes a HUGE difference
13) Have fun & be safe!

11) Don't sweat small stuff. Things are gonna get broken, muddy, lost, etc. It doesn't have to ruin things.

I love #11. It took me a while to get that into my thick head. We RV instead of tent, things break all the time. Not a huge deal since I am mechanical and bring a pretty beast tool set along so I don't know why I would lose sleep over things. Much better to just relax and take things as they come. This is supposed to be fun after all!

At the Fort, I would think there is no need to "Take all the water" as the water there isn't horrible. A filter might be appropriate though depending on your particular concerns.

Bring CORD. (such as Paracord). You can't even begin to imagine how useful this can be. 50 Feet is good, 100 feet is better. It doesn't take up that much space but can be invaluable. Clothesline, tying up a Tarp. Tying DOWN the load in the back of a truck. Tying up a sleeping bag/bed roll. Emergency Vehicle Repairs, emergency fishing line...... etc.... I always keep some in my tool bag, in my truck, in my Travel Trailer and even on my wrist (I have a Paracord Watch band that I made out of about 12' of cord).

Bring Flash lights. To echo Rhie, bring more than you think you need. If there are 4 people in your group, bring at least 5 Flashlights (or more) and spare batteries/bulbs. A flashlight that can easily be used as a room/tent light is also ideal. There are many of them out there (You can take a mini-mag reflector off and turn it around as a stand for the main unit and it's like a candle.)

Bug spray. Not just for you, but for the Tent. A good coat around the outside of the tent can help quite a bit.

I also agree with #11 above. If you forget something, you can work around it. Also at the Fort (and many campgrounds in general) there is often someone that may be willing to help out. Many campers are friendly folks. Just talk to them and you will be surprised at how helpful they can be.

and lastly .... ENJOY! Have a great time and relax and enjoy.

Have to say Reread each of prior posts and take what they have to say to heart. If I have learned anything over the years it is that the fecal matter is going to forcibly encounter the rotating, oscillating , atmospheric circulating device. Giving the appearance of causing the maximum amount of damage imaginable. That's when we need to sit down take a minute or two look again at what happened and evaluate where we are what resources do I have on hand and then act Of course the 10 to 15 minutes before hand of colorful language helps and some extreme antics will tend to tire you out some so unless you will scare small children or the elderly in the area don't skimp on these steps.

Don't trust the supposed "automatically retracting / dumping awnings".

$2500 later...

Everything Rhie said is great advice!

We are also tent campers. Here is what we have learned....

Bring your own TP! Do not assume the comfort station will be restocked daily. I learned this on our camping trip just a few weekends ago.

Keep your car keys in a SAFE location. I lost a set of keys when they somehow fell off of my carabiner clip sometime during the day (I had them clipped to my pants). The keys were for the car at home- NOT the car at the campsite! Now I have a locking carabiner and I am very mindful about my keys.

Do not underestimate how much water you will need. We always bring at least a case of bottled water or a few gallon jugs AND we fill a rhino container from the pumps at the campground.

Do not assume you will be able to find wood just laying around. Yes, you are in the woods but there are people every weekend burning fires. If we are staying in-state, we bring tinder and fuel, because even good, DRY tinder can be hard to find.

Bring an ax just in case you do find a good log. Nothing worse than finding a great piece of wood but its too big for the fire pit and you have nothing to chop it up with.

Bring extra food just in case one of your meals does not work out! One time, I brought frozen chicken to make foil packets. I took it out in the late morning to defrost it, but by dinnertime it was still frozen. We ended up leaving the campground and found a chinese place. Another time, we got to the campground much later than expected. By the time we got everything set up it was very late. So, we whipped out a backpackers meal (Mountain Home)- less time to make and less cleanup.

BE FLEXIBLE!!!

Life gets in the way, just go with it. Getting mad about it doesn't help solve it. (I know it does help to vent frustration though)

Some of our greatest memories are of mishaps. While it isn't always great and enjoyable when it happens, it's almost always memorable and you will cherish those memories in the future.

ENJOY!

You are already off to a great start....THE LIST!!! Never camp without making one and going over it multiple times! Also if you have teenager, who you allow to pack for themselves, always double check their packing. My son ALWAYS forgets something (and it's usually something important), jacket during the winter, swim suit when warm and almost always his pillow. He even forgot his tent one trip! Good luck and happy camping!

Back from our trip! Thanks for all the tips. Here's what we learned:

Air expands as you gain elevation and contracts when losing elevation. The chip bag exploded, and so did the biscuit container when we drove up Fall River Road. Lol.

The mountains create their own weather, don't trust the forecast. It was twenty degrees colder at night than we expected. Tent camping in thirty degree temps does not make for a good nights rest!

I hope you had a good time! I have tent camped in 30 degree weather many times (my record low is 27 degrees... and this was in OCTOBER in SE PA) I understand your experience!! Don't let that stop you from camping! I can give you some tips for cold weather tent camping if you want..

I hope you had a good time! I have tent camped in 30 degree weather many times (my record low is 27 degrees... and this was in OCTOBER in SE PA) I understand your experience!! Don't let that stop you from camping! I can give you some tips for cold weather tent camping if you want..
Through the years I have camped in weather where the temperature has gotten below zero through the night. I had a great sleeping bag (Military Mummy bags. Love 'em), but I absolutely HATE having to get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. Nice and warm in the sleeping bag in the tent.... Step out to go take care of business and things, well..... , Shrivel up in the cold (not to mention the heavy shivering.) :)

The first time we went tent camping as a family, was the night it hit 27 degrees. We just had normal sleeping bags and a few quilts. We froze that night! We all have "winter" sleeping bags now. Plus, we use quilts to insulate the air mattresses and have an extra layer of warmth. Getting up for the bathroom is THE WORST!!

We had a wonderful time. We will camp again, although our next trip is a cruise :).

We will most certainly invest in better sleeping bags!

DH was not too happy that we had not surveyed our landscaping before bringing our new TT home. The new one has a slide, where as the old one didn't. Let's just say he was not a real happy camper when he had to cut half our tree down so that we could open the slide. Would have been much easier to cut it down prior to the TT being already parked and leveled in the drive way. Oh well, it got done, and now we can open the slide.

Love this!! Duct tape post killed me we have come to realise aswell that sometimes things go wrong, tent poles break, you get wet through, you get sunburnt, you have to repeg about a hundred times a day and you can't get wound up about it, the don't sweat the small stuff is absolutely true!! I woke up this last weekend to our gazebo being completely destroyed and part of smacking me in the head as a massive gust of wind blew! A few years ago I may have flipped at this point, but I just looked at it, thought that's havin a bad day, nipped to the toilet and climbed back into my sleepin bag! It was still gonna be like that in a couple of hours when the rest of the family woke up so what difference did it make!!

I'm sure we will learn a lot from this experience. I expect some of our Dis members have stories to tell about what was learned in your early days of camping.

Not us but what we've saw at campground one time. Time to grab a drink and lawn chair!
1. You can not split a 12" log with a 12" long screwdriver driven down the center
2. You can not split said log with a small hatchet and no hammer
3. You can get screwdriver and hatchet stuck in said log
4. You can not split said log by dropping it off the roof of motorhome.
5. And people ask me why I go camping....I go for the entertainment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter