What foods have you never tried and will never try?

Poke salad was one way that poor, underfed families in the south could get more green vegetables in their diet. Foraging for food is still done in many rural areas in addition to traditional gardening. My dad taught me how to find wild oats & safe mushrooms. My mother taught me that poke salad & dandelion greens were safe to eat. (At least I think it was dandelion greens! Like most Americans, my main food sources are pre-prepared or frozen etc.)

Lol, I remember even after I was grown & driving my elderly mama around, she would always have a plastic bag with her so if she spotted poke 'salet' growing on the side of the road we could stop and she would pick it. She would clean it good and pour hot bacon grease over it so it was kinda like a wilted salad.

Raw Oysters. I just can't. To me they look like huge gobs of snot on a plate.

I'll also pass on the cheese with the maggots in it.

I'll try pretty much anything except monkey bread. Stupid name. Not that I'm a big sweets eater anyway, but ugh, terrible name, so I avoid in protest.

:rotfl: My brothers used to tell me bologna was monkey meat so that's what I think of when I see bologna. They also used to tell me that those little green peas were just those little bugs that roll up when you touch them.........

I will try about anything and have most of the foods mentioned. I would have to pass on the cheese with maggots. I love to get a tongue when I go to a deli and when I was growing up, brain sandwiches were popular in the local diner and they were really good!

Durian.

I had the chance to try it in Asia, and I flat out refused. The smell....like rotting meat...completely turned my stomach. There was no way that was going in my mouth.:crazy2: My husband tried it...said it was "interesting" which is Minnesota code for "I'm never doing that again!"

It's a fruit, BTW.

My DD happily gnawed away on chicken feet...that one I had to pass on as well.

I remember seeing Anthony Bourdain eat a scorpion on a stick. I don't think I have the guts to eat that either.

He eats a lot of things (bugs!) that I wouldn't want to try. :)

But other than bugs, dead OR alive, I can't think of a single thing I wouldn't try. I might not take a second bite of something, but I would give it a try.

Im in the dont tell me what it is and I will try it.

However- head cheese and blood tongue, when I worked in a deli, would make me puke every time I had to slice it. So yeah my coworkers took pity and did it for me.

Normally i'll try anything, but i just cant handle Lutefisk:sick:
the look the smell, it makes me twitch

My grandmother always told us if you try it and it kills you, you never have to eat it again.

Lol, I remember even after I was grown & driving my elderly mama around, she would always have a plastic bag with her so if she spotted poke 'salet' growing on the side of the road we could stop and she would pick it. She would clean it good and pour hot bacon grease over it so it was kinda like a wilted salad.

:lmao: my grandmother would do that too, before my grandfather died. we could be driving somewhere, she'd see poke salad on the side of the road, in someone's yard, didn't matter, and she'd stop and have ME pick it! she could always scrounge up a shopping bag to put it in, lol.

i guess i can't stomach it because of how it looked mixed with the scrambled eggs...i don't eat eggs, but i LOVE salad.

If I could only find some frogs hanging out in a patch of poke salad, I'd be in heaven. :lmao:

My list would go on and on for days. Suffice to say, I am a very picky eater and there are way too many foods that I won't eat to list! I eat from my 5 basic food groups:

chicken
turkey
veggies
fruits
chocolate!

I'm a very adventurous eater and enjoy new experiences when I travel but I sadly must admit that I couldn't eat the Yak tongue that was served to me in Tibet. Granted, I wasn't feeling well, but even at top notch, I'm not sure I could have eaten it. I'm sure it's not much different from cow tongue, which I have tried, but those Yak are ugly animals!!!

My DH always orders escargot whenever it's on a menu~ me; ummm no thanks

I would have to say frog legs,horse and chicken feet would also be on that list:crazy2:

but I do love oysters; didn't think I would and had them at a fabulous restaurant in downtown Melbourne FL~ Matt's Casbah ~ they were fresh and ice cold and delicious !!!

I do also eat sushi~ not the crazy stuff; I save the crazy stuff for my DH and DS11~ I like the raw tuna.
And I love veal and squid~calamari is one of my faves :thumbsup2

Oysters or any other meat served raw. :scared:
Brains, tongue, heart, liver of anything
Sweetbreads
Tripe
Veal
Haggis

I have eaten frog legs and they're okay, but nothing I would go crazy over. My family has eaten "poke salad" for years, mostly the older generation who grew up in a coal camp. My aunt still goes crazy over a "mess of dandelion greens" in a pot with fatback.

Sugardimples said:
Sweetbreads
Foie gras

Both of these things are delicious. I believe in at least trying something. If you don't like it you don't have to eat it again. (My exception to the rule is bugs. I haven't been able to make myself try them)

When I make sweetbreads I roll them in flour and salt and pepper and fry them. They taste identical to Popcorn chicken. Foie gras tastes like meaty butter. It's very rich. It's similar to liver pâté but doesn't taste strongly like liver. More buttery and just slightly like meat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter