What Do You Make For Your Vacation?

Can I ask you guys - do you make autograph pages to bind together later when you have got them signed? Or do you make a book and 'hope' to get all the pages signed?

There are all different ways that DISers make autograph books. Some make 4x6 cards and put them in photobuckets with pockets so that you can pull them out and put them back in once they are signed. Some have theirs spiral bound but leave extra room at the top or side so that they can be cut out and put in a scrapbook. Some put theirs in pencil boxes. Some make theirs into an actual book.

Here are a few threads to give you some ideas:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2323160

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1919763

http://share.shutterfly.com/share/received/welcome.sfly?fid=ab2403c7055689b4&sid=8AaN2Llq0btXHQ

There are all different ways that DISers make autograph books. Some make 4x6 cards and put them in photobuckets with pockets so that you can pull them out and put them back in once they are signed. Some have their spiral bound but leave extra room at the top or side so that they can be cut out and put in a scrapbook. Some put theirs in pencil boxes. Some make theirs into an actual book.

Here are a few threads to give you some ideas:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2323160

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1919763

http://share.shutterfly.com/share/received/welcome.sfly?fid=ab2403c7055689b4&sid=8AaN2Llq0btXHQ

Just wondering did you print the book using shutterfly???

I noticed several comments about spending a lot on ink...

When printing highly saturated paper items (autograph pages, envelopes, letters, etc..) you can send the file to your local Office Depot or Staples (probably others, too!) and have them color laser printed for a very reasonable price.

I use Staples a lot and I am never disappointed. They also do laminating.

In addition to be cheaper than using tons of ink, the laser printing looks so much nicer than what comes off my printer.

Pricing is fluid, but I have paid as little as 19 cents a page and as much as 69 cents a page.

Hope that helps someone put a few more $$ towards the parks, rather than the printer!:surfweb:

I noticed several comments about spending a lot on ink...

When printing highly saturated paper items (autograph pages, envelopes, letters, etc..) you can send the file to your local Office Depot or Staples (probably others, too!) and have them color laser printed for a very reasonable price.

I use Staples a lot and I am never disappointed. They also do laminating.

In addition to be cheaper than using tons of ink, the laser printing looks so much nicer than what comes off my printer.

Pricing is fluid, but I have paid as little as 19 cents a page and as much as 69 cents a page.

Hope that helps someone put a few more $$ towards the parks, rather than the printer!:surfweb:

Quick question - I thought the Office stores wouldn't print licensed characters? Have you had any problems w/that?

Okay I think I am going overboard! Help pull me back in. I am making autograph books by binding scrapbooking cardstock together and will take is apart to put in scrapbooks after the trip. I am also planning on a autograph photo mat for me to get autographs from Mickey friends and princesses we see. I am thinking of preparing pillowcases for both kids which I have leftover for DD birthday last year. And I just found two canvas tote bags which would be perfect for autographs ( one for mickey and friends at Chef Mickey's and one for Pooh and friends at Crystal Palace).
I can't ask them which idea they like best because it is a surprise. I have all the items already in my crafting stuff so the cost is just the $5 for the photo mat. We will probably do a medium amount of autograph hunting, seeing many at character meals. Just have to see princesses excpet Cinderella whom we are having dinner with and faries who were not there last time.

Too much? :confused3

You are in the wrong place if you think anyone on the DISign board is going to help you restrain yourself and pull back! :laughing:

I posted a link to a thread for a "Mickey Grand Welcome" for your hotel room or condo a few pages back but I thought I would let you know that I now have a "Tinks Grand Welcome" and a "Princesses Grand Welcome". They can be found in my 4shared link in my signature. Then look in the "Mickey's Grand Welcome" file.

There are lots of fun new ideas like a Princess Proclamation, Princess ID and a letter from the Fairy Godmother. Not only are the Grand Welcomes great for Welcome surprises...they are also great for birthday parties as I have lots of banners and printables.

Does anyone have a recommendation for the lanyards? The last time we went to DL we received free AAA lanyards and used those during our stay. (I don't know that we'll receive any from our WDW travel agent this year.)

I saw that the Disney website has them for $15 to $25 each, but that's over $100 for my family. Does anyone have suggestions for finding less expensive lanyards? Or, ideas on making them? I can be crafty if need be!

I don't know if you are still looking for the lanyards but Michaels currently has Toy Story, Cars, Tink & Princess lanyards for $1 a piece as well as other goodies.

well right now i am making my binder hehehe and i just washed 30+ shirts to start tiedying and iron ons.... i still have a whole list to make!

I don't think I have posted this yet...but I have an AMAZING "what do you make"! Here is one mom that went all out to make Epcot more exciting than it already is. Whipperwhirl did the most AMAZING...Amazing Race at Epcot for her daughter and has an entire post dedicated to everything she did. I think there are over 26 clues that she has for others to use. Here is her thread:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2063192

If you want to do this for your family/friends...I have blank clue cards in my 4shared file in the link in my signature.

Okay so a couple MORONIC questions from a newbie, I'm sure...but I'll embarass myself and go ahead and ask anyway!!!

First, if I want to put a "hat" on a blank Mickey head, do I just print two iron ons and cut the hat shape out?

Seond...lanyards...what do you do with them?

Third...best place to get CHEAP Tshirts...?

Fourth...can I buy T Shirt transfers at Walmart or anywhere?

Fifth...anyone put their cell phone number on their Ts incase someone (meaning my kids...greatest fear!) gets lost?

Sixth...anyone think I SHOULD NOT put kids names on shirts so strangers don't approach them and convince them Mom sent them?

Seventh...what are you printing on for things that need to be hard or laminated like luggage tags, etc...or are you printing on regular paper and getting them laminated at Kinkos or something?

PUHLEASE HELP ME! I so want to make this special for my kids with it being our first time and all!!! Thank you in advance, for any replies!!!!

There are no dumb questions...we were all new once just like you with the same questions.

First, if I want to put a "hat" on a blank Mickey head, do I just print two iron ons and cut the hat shape out?
You could do that but then you run the risk of the hat not being the right size. If you have a photo editing program, you can put the hat on the blank Mickey head before printing to ensure that it is the right size. If you don't have a photo editing program or the capability to work one...start a new thread and ask if someone can help you. Be as specific as possible in your request. Post a picture of the hat you want used, tell what colors you want the Mickey head to be, post what you are using it for, put the size you want to print, etc.

Second...lanyards...what do you do with them?
1. Lots of people make nametags and put contact information on the backside so that if someone from their group gets lost they have cell phone #'s and hotel information.
2. Pin traders use them to put their pins on for pin trading.
3. Some people use them with a holder for their park passes.

Third...best place to get CHEAP Tshirts...?
Michaels and Hobby Lobby...when their t-shirts are on sale for 50% off, you can get them for $2.00. There are also a few online places that DISers get theirs from. I think www.jiffyshirts.com is one of the websites...not sure what the others are.

Fourth...can I buy T Shirt transfers at Walmart or anywhere?
You can buy transfers at Walmart, office supply stores or hobby stores like Hobby Lobby and Michaels. I have tried most of them including Avery and HP, ones from Walmart and Hobby Lobby, but I had problems with them cracking, fading or colors running when they got wet. The best transfers that I have found are www.amymickey.com. They are a little bit more expensive but worth it if you want to wear the t-shirts more than once!

Fifth...anyone put their cell phone number on their Ts incase someone (meaning my kids...greatest fear!) gets lost?
There are DISers who use the extra left over space on transfer paper to print out contact information and their children's names and iron them on the inside of their t-shirts near the bottom hem.

Sixth...anyone think I SHOULD NOT put kids names on shirts so strangers don't approach them and convince them Mom sent them?
That is a big debate...50% are for it and 50% are against it. I enjoy putting their names on shirts at WDW because CMs and characters that speak will say their name and it is sooo magical when your little one thinks that they knew their name without being told. I think if someone is targeting your child to abduct they can listen to your conversation to get their name just as easily as they can read it on a t-shirt. We have taught our children a special code word that a stranger has to give them so that they know it is safe to go with them when a parent is not around.

Seventh...what are you printing on for things that need to be hard or laminated like luggage tags, etc...or are you printing on regular paper and getting them laminated at Kinkos or something?
I print on cardstock first then either laminate at a print shop like Kinkos or Staples. Another option is to buy a laminating machine. Walmart has a very inexpensive laminating machine that is small so it doesn't take a ton of space. I bought it and use it all the time for travel games, birthday parties, name tags...the possibilities are endless.

I also love to use trading card covers for luggage tags and name tags with lanyards. The brand I use is called "Ultra Pro Toploader Series" and is 3x4 inches. You can get 35 for under $4 at Walmart (they are usually near the checkout lines with the trading cards). Make sure you get the hard trading card covers not the flimsy ones. Then punch a hole and use a cable tie to attach it to your luggage. You can also find trading card covers at Toys R Us with their trading cards and most any store that sells trading cards.

Hope your trip is magical!

Oh Dolly...you are a living DOLL! Thank you SO much for all your help! I loved your shared files and my kids are going BONKERS thinking about Tshirts, games, lacing cards, etc. THANK YOU!

I tried in Power Point to manipulate the images...would a free download of Picasa or Picaso (sp?) help with this? Would I need to "cut" around the image in the program to do this?

THANK YOU!!! MY KIDS THANK YOU!!!

Oh Dolly...you are a living DOLL! Thank you SO much for all your help! I loved your shared files and my kids are going BONKERS thinking about Tshirts, games, lacing cards, etc. THANK YOU!

I tried in Power Point to manipulate the images...would a free download of Picasa or Picaso (sp?) help with this? Would I need to "cut" around the image in the program to do this?

THANK YOU!!! MY KIDS THANK YOU!!!

I haven't used Picaso so I can't answer that question. You would need to cut around the image or find a gif or png image that already has a blank background behind the image. Check out the how to DISign using MS Word thread...it will teach you how to personalize DISigns that you find, layer images/pictures, make your own name fills, remove a white box from around an image, etc.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2286193

jtanddolly....

WOW! I have looked at your shared file for about an hour and I am totaly taken away at whet you do...WOW...I have so much to do and I feel I have so little time...

I would love to make my kids some letters but I am stuck in that I have no idea how you got the font for Mickey...can you help. I would have sent you a PM but I can't cause I'm new...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter