What Are You Reading Right Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now I'm reading Jill Conner Browne's newest Sweet Potato Queens book--Raising Children for Fun and Profit. It's a hoot as all her books are. I :love: her.

Today I'm starting The Last Lecture.

How did you like it?

I finished it last night. It was sweet, tender, poignant, and in places, moved me to tears.

I appreciated that the book gave him a chance to expand more on things that he didn't have time to cover in his lecture, like how he met and fell in love with his wife.

Randy Pausch may not be a great philosopher - most of his lessons are things that we've heard before - but he is thoughtful and funny, and obviously a great teacher.

And he loves Disney!

Since no one responded to my post on Susan Wittig Albert (or was it Albert Wittig?), I can be the first to give a review-I just finished one of her books, Lavendar Lies. I enjoyed it-it was a very light, easy read, mystery.

Whoever read I Heard That Song Before, I really appreciate hearing about it. It sounds like a good one to buy for WDW. So anyone in WDW 4/29-5/6. I'll be the lady always reading that book in lines.

Right now, I am reading the second book in an emerging teen/young adult series. The series is called The Chronicles Of Vladmir Tod, this installment is Ninth Grade Slays, just released this past Saturday. (Can't wait until May when DS and I can go and have the author sign it for us!)

I am enjoying this book more than it's predecessor, Eighth Grade Bites. Ninth Grade Slays doesn't quite have the same light, easy read kind of feel. It's still got the same great cast of characters with a few newcomers, the sarcasm and the darkness. All the fun oogy parts of EGB definitely carry over. I am only a little into it though, as I am taking my time. I just love savouring a new book for the first time!

Oh, I'll join in here! I'm reading a total fluff....Janet Evanovich's Plum Lucky. It's one of her between the numbers books about Stephanie Plum. If the darn baby and computer weren't so demanding, :rotfl: , I'd have it done in an hour or two. After that I'll read Sophie Kinsella's newest.

I am reading a memoir/historical study by Hermann Langbein called People in Auschwitz. He was a survivor of Auschwitz, not Jewish but a political prisoner because of his membership in the Communist party. He combines his memories with other people's memories (including the perpretrators) and scholarly research on the history of "the final solution."

I have this on my shelf to read & am looking forward to getting to it. If I can just get myself through Atonement.....................

How funny! I am reading "The Thirteenth Tale" for a Lit. Theory class. On our last day of class, we are watching "Atonement." All of our novels ("Geek Love" and "The HAndmaid's Tale") have had a similar theme, so I am interested in seeing the connection.

hmm/ when hubby bought me tickets to the play, I bought the book. then someone told me.... "DON'T read it!"" not the same. I tried to read it... lost interest. now that I have seen the play, should I read it?

Give it another try. I loved it--although I believe it took a bit for me to get into it. It has its moments.

Someone PLEASE tell me that Atonment is going to get better.

I was barely past 100 pages on Sunday & I'm only at 130 pages now. It's putting me to sleep every time I try to pick it up. I've never put a book down when I'm this far in to it, but I might be doing just that.

It is just dragging & dragging. Is their any point to this book & when do you realize what it is?

No comments on Atonement.

I'm still chipping away at it. I just got into an interesting part - thank goodness. I mean, I'm 175 pages in. This one is killing me, but I'm determined!!!

Well diving into a new book tonight......The Book of Loss by Julith Jedamus.

Has anyone read it?

Anybody starting a new book tonight?

I couldn't do it. I could not finish Atonement. At about 200 pages in to the book I couldn't take it anymore. I put it down. :guilty: I would still like to see the movie.

I am now reading Snow Flower & the Secret Fan.

"But Inside I'm Screaming" by I haven't the foggiest idea ... which is prob. a good thing b/c this book isn't that hot. It's about a journalist who has a nervous breakdown while on national television, attempts suicide and ends up in a psychiatric center. I have to read it for book club. Well, I don't HAVE to read it ... but I am halfway through so I might as well finish it.

Up next is A Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion. If it's anything like the book I'm reading now, I'm in trouble.

I couldn't do it. I could not finish Atonement. At about 200 pages in to the book I couldn't take it anymore. I put it down. :guilty:
You gave it the 'ol college try and that's all that matters. I decided awhile ago that if a book was truly that bad, it would be a waste of time not reading better books if I were to waste my time finishing the bad one. Look at it that way ... you now have extra hours to read something you enjoy!

Just finished Life As We Knew It (Young Adult) by Susan Beth Pfeffer and am now reading Eclipse by Stephanie Meyer.

I am trying to finish Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult. I read Salem Falls just before this one and I loved it, couldn't put it down. I really am not feeling that with this one. I am about 200 pages into it. I hate to give it up now, but it is tough.
Karen

Since no one responded to my post on Susan Wittig Albert (or was it Albert Wittig?), I can be the first to give a review-I just finished one of her books, Lavendar Lies. I enjoyed it-it was a very light, easy read, mystery.

Whoever read I Heard That Song Before, I really appreciate hearing about it. It sounds like a good one to buy for WDW. So anyone in WDW 4/29-5/6. I'll be the lady always reading that book in lines.

I read, "I heard that song before", some time ago. I really enjoyed it! I think you'll like it. :)

I'm glad to see this thread again. I finished the book by Beverly Barton. It was really good. I mistakenly thought Beverly Barton was a pen name for Wendy Corsi Staub. I think it's because when I did a search using W.C.S.'s name, it came up and I automatically assumed it was so. It wasn't. Beverly Barton has written books with W.C.S.. You would think I'd know that because I've read a book by the two of them together last summer. Ugh. So I wanted to set that straight for anyone that might have seen my post. How embarrassing!

Right now, I'm reading, "Shiver", by Lisa Jackson. (She's also co-authored with W.C.S.) I'm about 1/3rd of the way through. It's suspenseful. A good mystery. I'd give it two thumbs up! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Right now I'm reading Jill Conner Browne's newest Sweet Potato Queens book--Raising Children for Fun and Profit. It's a hoot as all her books are. I :love: her.

Yesterday at the bookstore, I saw a copy of The Sweet Potato Queens' Big A** Novel. Have you read it?? I haven't heard a thing about it.

Being Dead is no Excuse: The official Southern Ladies Guide to Hosting the Perfect Funeral by Gayden Metcalfe and Charlotte Hays.

Don't let the title throw you. I finished in in about two hours despite the belly laughing. There are recipies at the end of every chapter. A must read if you live in the south. I could relate to so many of the examples the authors gave.

Amy

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter