What Are You Reading Right Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am reading Robert Kennedy: Brother, Protector by James W. Hilty for my research paper on Robert Kennedy's influence on his brother John's presidency and The Nazi Doctors by Robert Jay Lifton for my research paper on children in Auschwitz

I did not read A Thousand Splendid Suns yet. Waiting until it comes out in paperback (too cheap to buy a hardcover!!!)
Would you like me to send you my copy when I'm finished reading it?? :)

Yesterday I finished The Color Purple by Alice Walker. I looooooooooooove the movie and the book was very good, too. Today I will start A Thousand Splendid Suns.

Thank you, I read a blurb about it in a magazine, but all I could remember is that it was the sequel to Chocolat.

Is the book as good as the movie. I'm weird, and I usually find the movies to be better then the books, most noticeably the Princess Diaries, and recently Stardust, I was so bored with the ending.

To tell you the truth, it's been ages since I've seen the movie. Your post actually reminded me that I've been meaning to rent it again. I'm sort of the opposite--I usually find the movie to be a disappointment in comparison to the book so I may not be the right one to ask. ;)

I just finished Atonement. The story was wonderful, but the overly-descriptive writing just about bored me to tears!

And I just starting Sophie Kinsella's Remember Me?. I needed a piece of girlie fluff!

Also, thank you to the poster that suggested These Is My Words. OMG - I loved this book. I totally fell in love with the character of Sarah. This book could have been 1000 pages & I think I would have loved the entire thing & never wanted it to end.

I am glad you liked it! That's how I felt too...I was reading it constantly, I was very enveloped in their lives! It's the kind of book I want my daughter to read when she is bigger, because the heroine is so strong and overcomes such adversity. And such a great love story underneath it all...I highly recommend These Is My Words !!!

I am just starting The Thirteenth Tale. I am going on vacation next week and hope it holds my interest...

I had to kill time yesterday so I went to Barnes and Noble. I grabbed a sandwich there and needed a book to read so I picked up the The Glass Castle. It's been on my "I want to read this" list for awhile. It's good so far, so I'm going to put A Thousand Splendid Suns on hold and read this one.

I'm reading Twelve Sharp by Janet Evanovich. I am hooked on Stephanie Plum right now. They are such quick reads and I need the fluff right now. :teeth:

I still have Nineteen Minutes to go back to, but just can't get into it for some reason. :confused3

Same thing for me with Lisey's Story - read about 20 pages of it and quit. That has never happened to me before with S King.

Has anyone ever read Beverly Lewis? What did you think? I am reading my first one of her books.....The Preacher's Wife, I do like it but I hope it ends with a little drama.

Has anyone ever read Beverly Lewis? What did you think? I am reading my first one of her books.....The Preacher's Wife, I do like it but I hope it ends with a little drama.

i have but don't remember much... it's been about 1 year any many books ago :goodvibes i just remember them being a nice change from some other heavy stuff.

but i did just finish BEACH ROAD and HATED the way it ended!!! i was sick!!!:headache:

Finished I Am Legend.

Meh.

The story itself is very different from the movie...and I preferred the movie! That never happens.

However, if this is something you're looking to pick up, be advised that the book is actually a collection of short stories. I didn't realize that and I was kind of like, "Huh? What the heck is going on?" I didn't care for the stories I was reading and so put it down. They were too macabre for my taste.

I'm starting I Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloane Crossley. They're comedic essays about the life experiences of a 20-something. Supposed to be pretty good. I'm looking forward to getting into it.

I just started Nineteen Minutes after all the props Jodi Picoult has gotten here. I just grabbed one of her books when at Sam's, I had no idea what it was about. The picture is misleading on that cover. . .at least to the point of the book I am currently on. . .it looks like it will be some sweet sloppy story, but really not so much!!!!

This is a great thread! What an interesting and diverse reading selection we have going on here!
I'm reading Fat Envelope Frenzy and Neal Gabler's Disney biography. Envelope is about 5 high schoolers' quest to get into Harvard. I've been working on Disney for well over a year now--it's not one I can take in large chunks.
Regarding some previous comments:
Lindsay--I LOVED both Kite Runner and 1000 Suns. Both had profound impact on my thinking about life in Afghanistan. Amazing what people can endure.
I also loved Wicked--but I read it well before I saw it on stage. Loved the statement "This all could have been avoided had she just put a leash on the dog"! It does take a bit of work to get into, though. Side note--after reading the book and then seeing the play, I didn't like the play as much as DH who hadn't read the book. I think I was expecting more...
I also like Phillipa Gregory's work. Fun and interesting. And it doesn't much matter to me how much is based on historical fact.
Finally, I highly recommend Chris Rose's One Dead in Attic. He's a journalist down in New Orleans and wrote about Katrina/aftermath. I like his writing style.
Looking forward to reading other recommendations! :)

PS--Count me as another McEwan/Atonement fan. And any Cormac McCarthy fans out there? No Country, All the Pretty Horses. Good stuff!

For those that gave up on Lisey's Story. Try it again. I truly enjoyed it once I got into it.

Right now I'm reading Ruins by Steve Smith. It's a slow starter but I'll give it another 20 pages or so before I quit.

Don't laugh...I just finished "Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIHM" with my 4th grade book club. What an awesome book!!! I had forgotten how good it was.

I'm currently reading Common Wealth by Jeffrey Sachs.. very compelling and ambitious. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is interested in global warming or other global issues, it's an interesting read. :)

I'm also reading Things I Have Learned in My Life So Far by Stefan Sagmeister. It's an insert of about 15 designed pamphlets by Sagmeister, each pamphlet is a sentence taken from his diary that he has altered graphically. He puts so much creativity into each one, it's definitely worth the money!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter