What are you buying your kids for Xmas?

Gosh! TV's and DVD players, IPods and digital cameras, for presents? Anyone want to adopt ME before Christmas? DD (almost 12) must be mightily embarrassed when comparing presents with her friends! She gets clothes (socks, underwear, hats and mittens, etc), books, Polly Pockets, games...Santa brings one *big* present, last year it was Harry Potter DVD's (we only had the videos, she was DYING for DVD's, which my FIL sent to as a family gift last summer), the year before it was a boom box (radio/tape/CD player, cost about $35) for her room. Don't know what she'll want this Christmas. Her birthday is in 4 weeks and I've only picked up one present. I feel really cheap reading this thread, but I'd never consider any of the expensive electronics or computers (etc.) for DD as a gift for HER. We have some of these things as family possessions (tv, dvd, laptop, computer) but not as individual possessions.

Well, I"ll admit I only read throught the first 2 pages but my first thought is "anything that will get them outside in the fresh air and physical" -- bikes, skateboards, jump ropes, sidewalk chalk, basketball hoop, swingset, sleds, in-line skates, that sort of thing.

I am also one of those parents that doesn't allow tv in their rooms (ages 8 and almost 16) and the computers are in the office for all eyes to see, lol :rotfl: (gotta do that with a a teenage son) :rotfl2: But I'm also one that severly limits access to tvs and video games. I did relent when my son was 12 (well, not me but a boyfriend who thought I was tormenting my son :teeth: ) and let him get a Playstation. To tell you the truth, I still regret it. It's always a toss up whether he's playing computer games or video games when he should be doing chores or homework :confused3

Brenda

Oops, was so busy on my soapbox....

Gotta say my DD, 8, LOVES, I mean really LOVES both her bitty baby and all three of her American Girls and saves/spends all her allowance outfitting them. If this keeps her a "little girl" for a while longer, I'm happy to let her stay inside and play Mommy. :flower:

My DD9 loves the American Girls and vows to keep going until she has them all so she will probably get one of those and another one from her grandmother. When she was your DD's age her favorite gift (and it still gets used) was a dress up box full of clothes. Over the years she has gotten clothes added to this box as she has outgrown what was in it. It is now full of prom type dresses purchased from thrift stores. She still has hours of fun with this gift.

I am also anti-tv and game system so I can't help you there. DD would be thrilled to receive a TV but it ain't gonna happen.

I got dd (1, she'll be 2 in feb) a barbie car and for dd (11, she'll be 12 in sept) an ipod? I don't know about her yet. She already has a tv in her room so I don't have to buy her one. Frankly I don't see anything wrong with a tv in her room. I think moderation is key to a lot of things. DD (11) is on the honor roll, plays soccer, and is very active in the community and in her school. I had a tv in my room growing up and I spent more time reading than watching it. I haven't been harmed in any way, graduated from college with honors, had kids, they're fine, I'm fine. Get the tv for your little girl if you want.

While we're on the subject on trampolines...

DH and I have been considering getting one for DD4 (will be almost 5 at Xmas). What size/kin do you guys recommend? Any one with real positive or negative experience with these. DD plays outside a lot, but we're always looking for something to keep interest in the outdoors. Any opinion would be GREAT!

Also, DD has a computer that is all hers (DH's realllly old one). We keep it in the living room so she can play EDUCATIONAL computer games on it only...no internet connection. We have gone back and forth about putting a TV in her playroom because she does like to play with her Vtech at inconvenient times, but so far have vetoed the idea. I don't think we'd have a problem with her being on it too much; our concern is that be doing it in her room it is less family time. We often get on the floor with her and play (she's WAY better then I am:), and I think we'd miss out on that if she had it in her room.

To each their own, right? As long as your kid is healthy and your spending good quality time together I don't see why a TV in their room is a big deal.

Mel :wave:

New collars & pet tags that look like Mickey heads from WDW. Yeah, all of our kids have 4 legs. Lots of :paw: :paw: :paw: :paw: :paw: :paw: :paw: :paw: :paw: on our hearts. Maggie

MelodyMack said:
While we're on the subject on trampolines...

DH and I have been considering getting one for DD4 (will be almost 5 at Xmas). What size/kin do you guys recommend? Any one with real positive or negative experience with these. DD plays outside a lot, but we're always looking for something to keep interest in the outdoors. Any opinion would be GREAT!

Mel :wave:

Well, since you asked for opinions...I am very much against trampolines. They are very dangerous, even with supervision (which should be a must). We're military and on one post we lived on they were against regulations, they aren't where we are now, but they've printed 3 articles that I can think of in our community newspaper about the accidents they cause. If you are considering getting one, though, the advice that they give is to get a full-sized one, make sure the springs are covered, get a safety net, only let one person jump at a time, and discourage sommersaults. I personally have refused to buy one for my children despite the fact that they really want one, but alot of people have them with no problems, too. I think using them wisely, with supervision, makes alot of difference. :teacher:

FYI, most homeowner's policies are not allowing trampolines, since the American Academy of Pediatrics recommended against them for any child outside of a gym setting. I had to give mine away after I innocently asked my insurance agent a question and spilled the beans about ours. Had to sign a letter stating that I knew if it returned I would be denied coverage!!

The trampoline has been brought up at our house. I have responded with a resounding NO! I have friends that bought one for their DD and almost evertyime a kid came over to play there was some injurty or another. Some friend weren't even allowed to play on them. Heads banged into each other, shoulders hitting faces, and etc. They finally returned it to the store for a full refund.

My bro has one for his kids, and we all played on it two summers ago under my supervision. No injuries but I was a nervous wreck.

JMO

DD12 and DS8 will be getting stocking stuffers all from Disney. Each get a $10 Blockbuster gift card, also a stocking stiffer. DD also getting an American Girl puzzle/game book that she picked out at the store (just back). AG has great books for girls regarding their bodies, friendship, and etc. She loves them all. I don't have any other ideas for either of them. They usually get one large joint gift (karaoke, game cube) but don't know what for this year yet. we also usually buy a new family game for use over the holiday, last year it was Apples to Apples. It is always a game every person can play, from DS8 to gramps at 70.

DD has tons of stuff picked out from the AG catalog, but her bday is also December so I buy lots in that month. I am toying with the idea of going up for the day for her bday since it is on a Sunday and we could go to the AG Place and do lunch and etc. And then on the Rockefeller Center and etc. Great time of year to go.

DS will want lots of action stuff.

They usually get movies or bookstore gift cards from my sibs. My bro and I sometimes send our local NFL team clothing to each other's kids, have to get our digs in you know (we are Philly, they are MN). From my parents they always get a personalized ornament, $, book(s), one toy and clothing (boy that is a lot - see related comments in retirement thread about how they increased their gift giving budget line item when they retired :rotfl: ).

I need to get cracking on my list for everyone else. Oh, I picked up a Sex in the City board game for my SIL for $3 on clearance from Kohl's, will probablybe her bday gift in Sep. :)

DVCLiz said:
FYI, most homeowner's policies are not allowing trampolines, since the American Academy of Pediatrics recommended against them for any child outside of a gym setting. I had to give mine away after I innocently asked my insurance agent a question and spilled the beans about ours. Had to sign a letter stating that I knew if it returned I would be denied coverage!!

Yes, I thought this could be the case, my friend's neighbor is an insurance agent and they said their kids could never use it and when asked why he told them. That is when it was returned to the store for a full refund.

leebee said:
Gosh! TV's and DVD players, IPods and digital cameras, for presents? Anyone want to adopt ME before Christmas? DD (almost 12) must be mightily embarrassed when comparing presents with her friends! She gets clothes (socks, underwear, hats and mittens, etc), books, Polly Pockets, games...Santa brings one *big* present, last year it was Harry Potter DVD's (we only had the videos, she was DYING for DVD's, which my FIL sent to as a family gift last summer), the year before it was a boom box (radio/tape/CD player, cost about $35) for her room. Don't know what she'll want this Christmas. Her birthday is in 4 weeks and I've only picked up one present. I feel really cheap reading this thread, but I'd never consider any of the expensive electronics or computers (etc.) for DD as a gift for HER. We have some of these things as family possessions (tv, dvd, laptop, computer) but not as individual possessions.
It depends on your family preferences, of course, but I think there's a difference between TVs and DVD players on the one hand, and IPods and digital cameras on the other. Neither of my children have TVs in their rooms here, although my younger DD11 has a small DVD player for movies when she has spend-the-night company, but they both got digital cameras from their Dad last Christmas, and DD16 got an IPod using left-over Christmas and birthday money last year.

Unless you have a strong family preference, these smaller electronics do seem to be the gifts of choice for teens, so get ready for your DD to at least ASK for some of them in the future!!

DVCLiz said:

I have a small bouncer/bounce house (like the ones people have at parties). I wonder if homeowners have the same policy on those. I agree trampolines can be very dangerous. But I couldn't see the harm in those bouncers. It's 9ftx9ft and my 2 boys love them. They are supervised, of course. And it's only the 2 boys (and sometimes Mom :earseek: ). Do you all think these are dangerous? Now I'm worried.

I havent decided what I am getting my kids yet. The gift from DH and I is the Disney trip. Santa will leave a few things at the hotel for christmas morning and leave whatever else he brings at home for them when we get back. I usually spend around 300 per child, but that is being cut down big time this year due to our trip. The little ones are easy because they just want toys, I am hoping to get some great sales at TRU after thanksgiving for a good price. The older ones are a little tougher, but they know the disney trip is from us this year so they will only be opening what santa brings. As far as the OPs original question about the tv thing, in my opinion, you should do what feels right to you, everyone is different. My five yr olds have an old tv and vcr in their room (no channels) and only watch an occasional movie during a blizzard or if they are sick. My son has a small tv that he bought with some birthday money and he only uses it to play his PS and also with that he isnt obsessed with it. Whatever you chose, it will be the right decision.

Here's a working list of what were getting our kids for Christmas this year. We are cutting back this year as dh will be off work from Thanksgiving until ? (we'll see how it goes) for a total knee replacement & recovery from the surgery. I will also not be working to care for him.

DD (will be 11 ~ 10 days prior to Christmas):
*A dvd player for her room (the small one from Sam' Club that is $30.88)
*A Cd (probably Radio Disney)
*A DVD (*not sure what one)
*A new pair of pajamas (gets to open Christmas Eve and wear that night, a
tradition in our family)
*A sweatshirt and socks from Aeropostale (her favorite store)
*purse with a few Disney $ in it (We are hoping dh is recovered enough for
a spring trip)
*Stocking filled with socks, lipgloss, glitter nail polish and various little things
*Bead kit for making bracelets and necklaces (have these already, local
craft store had bags of beads for .10¢ each, so I made each of the
girls a cute bead kit)

Dd, 8:
*A cd player walkman type thing (pink)
* Cd
*Pajamas (again, Christmas Eve tradition)
*Sweatshirt and socks (trying to find cute one with horse on it)
*Purse with a few Disney $
*Stocking with similar things to sister, but pink sparkle nail polish
*Need one more idea here.
*Bead kit for making bracelets and necklaces (have these already, local
craft store had bags of beads for .10¢ each, so I made each of the
girls a cute bead kit)

we have a 13ft trampoline for the kids with the safety net that I bought at sports authority and the kids love it. They out grew the bounce around house and loved jumping at the one at gymnastics. It all depends how much they are outside. we live in fla year round so its a great addition to our backyard. Between the swingset, water slide and trampoline the kids are set. :cool1:

LilMamiBella said:
My daughter ( 3 1/2) does not having any game systems. She will occasionally play with my son's games or leapster. I'm considering buying her a v-smile w/ a couple of games and maybe a princess tv and dvd player. She's still little though so maybe these choices aren't a good idea. I did ask her what she wanted for Xmas and she said," Spongebob toy, princess tv, dora something, blocks/legos, and cinderella movie."

So, my question is what are you buying your kids for Xmas? Do you think what I'm considering for my daughter is crazy? If you had my kids what would you buy them? lol Btw, we're also going to Disney the first part of December so I'm hoping not to spend too much on Christmas presents.

I have picked up a bunch of small stuff so far but trying to figure out the big gift this year??? But for your situation...
We purchased the v-smile for our son when he turned 4 and he is just now getting into it almost a year later - our dd3 has yet to be turned on by it - so I would wait perhaps another year for that one. As far as the tv choice, it is up to you - your son already has one so it would be fair to get one for dd as she will have her own place to watch what she wants instead of fighting over another TV to watch another Dora episode for the 57th time that day (swiper no swiping, swiper no swiping :rolleyes: ) and the princess tv really is too cute!!! If I were to go this route I would theme the whole gift - tv, dvd, a couple dora movies, cinderella of course, microwave popcorn in the stocking, maybe some dress up stuff if thats her thing - movie star sunglassess and a boa, maybe a gift card to get rentals if you rent nearby, etc. Major expense would be the tv & dvd but the rest you could pick up at a decent price. Good Luck, I'm sure they will love whatever happens to be under the tree...

I felt really bad yesterday trying to get my son to give up his gamecube. He was crying and said I was bad mommy. I took it to a resell store but they didn't want to give me much for it so I just took it back home. I have someone who'll buy the nintendo 64 and the gameboy but I just don't know what to do about the gamecube. I think maybe I could just have him pick 3 or 4 to sell and keep the rest of his games. I think he has 6-7 gamecube games. I showed him the l-max and the v-smile and told him that Santa might be able to get him one of those. He seemed to llike them. Since my dd likes the leapster so much I might buy her a new l-max or v-smile. She's been playing the princess leapster game every day this week. We're thinking of taking my son's tv out of his room and putting it in the "game room" and just buy a cheap dvd player to add to it.

My son is 3 and since we will be going to Disney in May of 2006, we won't be doing as much for Christmas this year. I am telling family members that it would be a good idea to go with one gift and then a card with money in it for him to use at Disney.

He already has his own TV/Satellite/VCR/DVD player, CD player, etc in his room (since he was 2), and I must admit he doesn't spend very much time in there at all. He would rather be out playing with us or be outside. It is nice though for quiet time sometimes. He also has the V-Smile, Leapster, and My 1st LeapPad and he loves them all. He has learned SO MUCH from all of these. He is incredibly smart. We will be getting him more games/books for those for Christmas. His other favorites are plain old Legos, markers/crayons, anything Buzz Lightyear, Thomas the Train playsets, and his 4-wheeler.

Beth

Having my own tv is a great thing, it fixes most of the battles(like one is Lost vs Law & Order) and I use it with my dvd player

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter