• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What are you buying your kids for Xmas?

My opinion on the games and stuff for the OP is that I have a dd (8) and a ds (4). My dd will play with her game boy here and there and the gamecube, but it is my ds that lives and breathes for the game boy and gamecube. I think it's a boy thing, the electronics and such. My dd loved when she was 2 and 3 the My Little Ponies, she had cartons of them. She also likes art and crafts sort of stuff. My suggestion would be to give her the hand me downs of electronics from your ds until you know for sure if she is really into them before you spend at least $100 for them for her. Nothing worse than spending that kind of money and then they don't use the stuff.

As for me, I am doing pretty good with the shopping. Our big gift to the kids is an air hockey table for their game room. I got some stuff from disney direct and disney deals for them too. I also will do disney dollars. Still have to get some clothes and boards games still - I'm watching for the big sale to come along.

I am not sure yet but I know I am not going crazy. I am thinking about a Gameboy SP for my 6yo.

Not sure yet for my 13yo.

Than I will have my 16 month old and 4 month old. They will get diapers lol. I dont have rom for a zillion toys.

My 6yo already has the v-smile and likes it.

Right off the bat, for every holiday/birthday, I buy my boys a $100 savings bond. Right now, they are 3 and 2, so toys mostly just pile up. I do buy them a few toys though-I try to keep them educational, so I just have to see what's out there..Oh, but I did order the "Wobblers" set-they love the ones we got from the cereal boxes, so that'll be a nice side gift. :smooth:

My dd will be 5 when Christmas comes around! I have already bought her an Easy Bake Oven with the 20 extra pieces, and just today I bought her from DisneyDirect a princess table with an unbrellia and two chairs (we'll put this in her room like a little bistro table set to get with her room). My dd has a 13in tv in our playroom but has asked that either the birthday fairy or Santa "Please bring her a princess tv so she can put it in her room so baby brother can't change the channels! her words, very cute) So dh and I decided that we'll get her the tv for her birthday present and the matching DVD player for Christmas. Oh and we are also getting her the vsmile game system for her for Christmas. The one big present that Santa is bringing will be a Little Tikes play house for the back yard! She's going to love it.

Our Ds 2 1/2 will be getting a Little Tikes something to go with DD playhouse. (One for each). Since he is still little we'll probable go cheap with him. He won't notice!!

If you feel that your dd is ready for a Tv then get her one. You are the parent and you get to set up the rules for the TV. I don't see how it will get outta hand with you and your dh monitor what she is watching!!

JMO
Sabrina

DS (14) is getting a Gibson Les Paul electric guitar, amp and bag--this is not inexpensive. He'll get a stocking and perhaps a few small items.

DD (10) is getting a bed for her American Girl doll and maybe one other piece of furniture, a few DVD's, a chair for her room, some Bath and Body works items, sneakers (a want not a need), maybe a video game. Of course a stocking as well.

All nieces and nephews are getting something useful or savings bonds. Christmas eve at my Mother's looks like a department store gone wild and I'd like to put things back into some semblance of sanity. Trying to expalin to my parents that we are just blessed to be able to be together and that the quantity of "lovely gifts and prizes" are unimportant. Maybe if I go only bearing one shopping bag per family rather than a shopping bag per person I will start a new trend--either that or they will all call me cheap--either way I'm prepared. :rolleyes:

My 7yo twins are going to get TV's with built in DVD players for Xmas and new bikes for their 8th Birthdays (in March). I don't have a problem with them having a TV in their rooms now that they are a little older-I think 3 1/2 is a little young. My kids are smart, athletic, love to play games, read, and do art projects. I don't think they'll be watching any more TV than they currently do. They love to ride their bikes and played organized ball this year and went swimming every week. I feel that they get enough exercise and encourage them to get outside and play. I grew up with a TV in my room and I'm slim, athletic and interested in things other than TV (just let me watch All My Children and Desperate Housewives and I'm happy!). DH and DS love to play X BOX. It must be a guy thing. I don't care to play video games and DD will play occasionally. I made a rule this summer-no X BOX unless it was raining outside. We had a drought in Illinois, so the X BOX got little use.

As I'm writing this, DS just came in to show me his latest creation he made with his Legos and DD is waiting for me to get off the computer so we can bake with her Easy Bake Oven. They could be watching TV right now, but I've raised them to know that there's things other than TV out there. You do what's right for your kids and don't worry what others think.

LilMamiBella said:
My daughter ( 3 1/2) does not having any game systems. She will occasionally play with my son's games or leapster. I'm considering buying her a v-smile w/ a couple of games and maybe a princess tv and dvd player. She's still little though so maybe these choices aren't a good idea. I did ask her what she wanted for Xmas and she said," Spongebob toy, princess tv, dora something, blocks/legos, and cinderella movie."

We got the vsmile for my DD last year and she loves it! Some of the games listed for ages 3-5 may be challenging in the beginning for her. They just came out with some new games like Cindy,Jasmine,Toy Story 2, and The Wiggles. The Ariel game is really cute too.

I am going to support the OP for getting her DD a TV :goodvibes with that said there are plenty of ways to "monitor" what your child is watching First of all we tell them they are living in our house and they are our resposnibility and have access to their rooms at all times :earseek: We often just pop our heads into to see what they are doing. One does not have to have the TV hooked up to cable. It can be just for movies/games. If it is on cable then you can do things such as use the "parent control" so they can only watch the channels you have programed in. :rotfl: Put the TV up high; even hanging from the ceiling and they do not have access to the remote. They have to ask to have it changed, use the "timer" when it goes off they are done. :) Tell them they can only watch for so many shows/hours, so much in a week, not during the school week.

We found that at first they spent lots of time using them, but even the 13 year old still comes out to see what we are up to.

Oops, :rolleyes: looks like I am raving.... do what works for you and your family. :grouphug:

This thread has me thinking about Christmas now.... I really need help on what to get my sons, two of which are teenagers (gulp). They definitely do need another computer game or video game - trying to steer them away from those types of things. Anybody have any creative ideas for teen boys that is not TV or music related??

We look to spend about $150 per son if that helps. Last year I ended up just giving them each a stocking with small gifts and cash to spend because I couldn't think of anything else, plus we were at WDW for Christmas and didn't want to be lugging gifts down and then back again. Not sure if I should just do that again or not....

My sister and I till this day say our best Christmas as teens was when we got cash. They got us little everyday things we needed and taped money to it. For example a $20 wrapped around hairspray, $50 around deodorant, and so on. It was great to go shopping during Christmas Break during all the sales and being able to get twice as much since it was all on sale. As for my own kids we are totally clueless this year. They have too much as it is.

DD17 wants a digital camera this year.

OP...if you want to get your daughter the Princess TV...go for it!! If my daughter didn't already have a TV (which she got at about age 3-4 ;-p ) I'd be getting her one of those too cuz they're too cute! Bottom line...you know YOUR kids and know what's is appropriate for them. Don't let the naysayers sway you.

We bought them (11 and 14 will be) a printer and what nots for their non-internet hooked up computer. Then we are giving them $100.00 bill. We used to take them to Toy r' Us and have them write down things they REALLY wanted. They have asked DS11 for several GB games. We did not get any as we have to have something on a list for aunts, uncles, grands... and DS who will be 14 :guilty: only wants good old $$$ cash. They have a few videos they would like but with the $$ from us they can either purchase themselves or put them on their wish list for family. :wizard: We did not buy any of those either so they could put them on the list and who knows if they will want them come December?! :cold:

How about certificates to the movies to rent or go see? Oldest DS has a cell phone :earseek: , now wait and let me explain!!!! :badpc: , it is only for Mom, such and such is running late, do you mind picking/taking so and so home? He was running late one night with a friend and his Dad and he called to say they were stopping for supper so would be even later. BUT I knew he was OK and where he was..... he will get some time for it. How about a pass to sports games at their HS, one to get into so many games? :confused3 Gift cards/ certificates to their favorite clothing store.

Hope I have given you some ideas :rolleyes1

Mine both have TV/DVD players in their room and when there is quiet time they may stay in there and watch a movie. dd loves TLC and enjoys a baby story and gets to watch it the afternoon after she finishes her homework. ds may watch a power ranger movie on occasion but for the most part thats about the extent of it besides when they have a sleepover or use it with their V-smile.. okay onto christmas gift :sunny:

dd is getting whatever new Barbie Princess Dolls come out. I think Its Pegasaus this year. The Princess tent, Princess clothing, Bathing suits from Disney, Princess Chalkboard, Littlest Pets, Princess Phone, the 50th anniversary Disneyland Castle and clothing.

ds is getting some imaginex dinosaurs, PR backpack, PR sleeping bag, PR tent, Buzz walkie talkies, clothing and suits from disney, rescue heros sets, PR race track and SPD SWAT truck.

I have Disney to thank for most of their gifts as I watch the sales and put them away for the holidays. Im almost done! :banana:

they both will get a Vsmile game to add to their collection as it looks like a few new ones are coming out!

I haven't added it up but I know that I saved a lot of $ from shopping at Disney Direct!

We tell her that she can only ask Santa for 2 things because he has so many kids to deliver presents to. We told her that sometimes Santa brings more if you are extra good.

We go to Santa's Village every Memorial Day weekend. That's when the "Santa's watching you" starts. It works pretty well right now. She'll be 4 in November so who knows how much longer that will last.

Anyway, just wanted to say that I'm almost done with her birthday and Christmas shopping (need a few stocking stuffs & Disney $'s).

We are doing the 3 gifts from Santa thing too. ;)

Decided against the playstation 2 or 3 from us...not sure now what to get, but it will be some "joint" gift. DS6 will get a book, DS2 will get a board book (both Christmas themed).

From "Santa" they'll each get $25 or $25 savings bond, DS6 will get a microscope and kit, DS2 will get Cranium Hullabaloo, then they will each get a "fun" toy that they really really want. Best guess, DS6 will want Legos, and DS2 will want Mega Blocks Pirate Ship. I'm waiting until October/November when commercials hit and they suddenly can't live without some toy or other. :rotfl2:

Stockings will probably have a Disney DVD movie in them, small "toys" like Hot Wheels, and a piece of candy (Mini M&Ms are their favorites).

I usually do themes for grown ups each year.

This year for my girls I am also using that idea. Since we are going on our first trip to Disney I have a bunch of stuff gathered already from sales at the Disney store and TRU for them. (Each person going (my parents and ILs too)is getting a basket of goddies realted to Disney like a shirt and ponchos and water bottle.)

For my DD's I am doing 2 disney t-shirts each, disney stickers, their autograph albums they helped me make, a special pen for the album, disney dollars, glow sticks from target clearence. My budget is about $50 each kid. Sales really help that stretch and the good advice from the budget board and codes.

I also have a mini Disneyplayset and a matching Disney playmat from the TRU clearence as a group gift for them.

I have a bunch of other little stuff like the notebooks and pencils and princess dolls from the dollar store earlier this year but I am keeping them for tinkerbelle gifts for our trip. I also just bought them new dress-up costumes but they will be kept new for the meals so I don't consider them part of christmas. My plan is to go to 2 special meals and now with the 4 I just bought and what I have, I should be good for those events. :rotfl: IT is my dream trip and I want them to feel like princesses all week, they are all the time in my heart.

My kids love the Disney Charades board game and the Disney trivia game. Also my DD6 received the Disney Spinning Wishes game for her bday and loved it! Also, any type of Monopoly game with any theme is a huge hit in our house. Just wanted to give some other ideas. I am not one for the kids having too many games either but when they go to bed ~ I get out the gameboys and play Tetris til all hours of the night~!!!!! shhhhhhhh.

:rotfl2:

No wonder their battery always needs to be charged! :rotfl:

Teresa :flower:

Just came back from toys r us:

dd age 3 1/2 liked:

sleeping beauty barbie

stuff for her Dora house- Dora suv, fairytale castle, nursery set w/ babies

Princess phone and answering machine

cinderella movie ( already preordered)

Son age 6 1/2 liked:

Lego pirate ship

batmobile remote control car

gotham city playset

operation shrek board game

disney sorry game

playdough batman thing

Spongebob karate choppers

We didn't even look at the video games. My dh and I are going to talk about what we're going to do re: video games/tv's. I told my ds that he would have to give away some of his toys if he wants new ones from Santa.

ntburns22 said:
My sister and I till this day say our best Christmas as teens was when we got cash. They got us little everyday things we needed and taped money to it. For example a $20 wrapped around hairspray, $50 around deodorant, and so on. It was great to go shopping during Christmas Break during all the sales and being able to get twice as much since it was all on sale.

One of the neatest gifts I got as a teen was a Christmas cash tree from from grandmother. She decorated a small Christmas tree with bills rolled up and tied to colored ribbons. I loved it, and kept the tree for years after. She's been gone a long time now, but she was the best (and I did not love her because of her material gifts - she gave us so much time and love.) Great memories! :sunny:

I think teens love cash not because they are greedy, but because it represents a kind of freedom for them. :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter