What are you buying your kids for Xmas?

LisaNJ25 said:
I am not sure yet but I know I am not going crazy. I am thinking about a Gameboy SP for my 6yo.

Not sure yet for my 13yo.

Than I will have my 16 month old and 4 month old. They will get diapers lol. I dont have rom for a zillion toys.

My 6yo already has the v-smile and likes it.

Hi, I know its none of my business, and maybe you were just kidding, but it makes me sad to think of a 16mo old & 4mo old, even though they don't know, with nothing but diapers for Christmas. And I understand the room thing, we also don't have enough room, but please get them something, even if it is a small beanie baby or whatever.

Just a mommy of small children putting in her 2 cents.

Our daughter will be turning 13 while at WDW. She will be getting a digital camera a few weeks before we leave for the trip so she can learn the various settings on it. She is HUGE into scrapbooking. About once a month she has a scrapbooking sleep over, its so cute the girls stay up all hours of the night quiet as churchmice doing nothing but scrapbooking. plus the trip was suspose to be her present :rotfl:

For Xmas she will be getting an I-POD. plus other minor stuff.

I do agree that when they are younger it seems to be a lot cheaper and possibly easier to buy gifts for them.

But the plus side to her getting older is she goes shopping with my husband who is horrible at picking out stuff ( one year all my gifts came from Home Depot and at that time we did not own our own house yet :rotfl2: ) and she does all the deciding on what Mommy would like and always does and amazing job....

We have never gone all out crazy on Christmas gifts. My boys are 6 and 10, and this year, I think the 6 year old will get some Playmobil stuff (he loves it!), a Leapster game, a larger Magnetix set, and swimming lessons. My 10 year old will be getting an Eagles parka (I've had it stored for 2 years...got it for a steal at Kohl's end of season), an Eagles winter hat, a PS2 game, and probably some tickets to a hockey game.

I usually spend no more than $150 each on them for Christmas.

And add me to the list of those who think a t.v. in a kids' room is ridiculous. My 10 year old has asked, and I say NO WAY every time. We have 3 t.v.'s in our house, and the PS2 is hooked up in our family room. There is no need to have one in his own room.

The tv we gave our daughters for their birthday when they turned 2 & 6 was a godsend to me...didn't have to watch barney if I didn't want to...now it's in my room because they never asked for it back after they lost privilidges :rotfl2:. It makes for a great girls night in mom's room as they are 13 and 9 now.

They normally only get one present and stockings from santa because they have 6 grandmas and not everyone in the world is so lucky. This is usually a big present...last year was karoake machine(13 yo) and gameboy(9yo..was told by her OT that this would be great for hand eye coordination or she would have never gotten it!!) But through great deals I found they combined to less than $100.

This year only santa is coming the girls have given up presents from mom & dad other than the usual ornament for our first trip to WDW next summer. We never spend more than $500 for all of our gifts for the entire family. Santa is planning on bringing them a portable dvd player for the trip and a dvd for each girl special(found one today for $90 :banana: )

As someone else said the kids will love it because you got it for them. You know your kids best.

Well I cast my vote FOR the princess TV!

Both of my kids have had TV/VCR in thier rooms since about 3 years old, and I can assure you they have not suffered because of it. Though, DS is a little PS2 crazy. That's just what he's into, and I'm OK with that. I think it's ridiculous to have to fight over the "big" TV in the living room. If I want to watch something in there, why shouldn't they be able to watch something they like too??

And BTW, I really don't see that much difference between playing a game on the computer and playing one on TV. Some people seen to be OK with one, but not with the other.:confused3

As far as the Leapster goes DS has one of those too. I love all of the EDUCATIONAL choices for games, and can honestly say he has picked up a lot by playing them.

He also has a gameboy now, but he and DD both will be getting PSP's for Christmas.

People can say what they want, but both of my kids are active, healthy, and smart to boot. Imagine that after all of that corruption...GEEZ! :rolleyes:

I'll be 26 once Christmas rolls around and to be honest I plan on asking for cash and electronic equipment(IPod, DVD's and the like)

I don't like getting our kids tv or other tech toys as gifts, but realistically technology is a major part of our future. Exposure to technology is a good thing, but, of course, not its overuse or abuse, for that matter.

Look at all of us here on the computer - on the DIS boards. :teeth: We all have to learn how to limit how often we use the tv, computer, or tech toys so in that respect I think it's a good idea to start them young. There is virtue in them knowing how to plan and use tech time and "toys" in their lives starting at a young age. Just so long they are able to get in other priorities in their life, like schoolwork, exercise, etc., and used in moderation then I don't think it would pose a problem.

As to answer your question...

Our 14yo, 10yo, and 7yo will be getting a simple PDA for fun and time management skills. They will also get creative toys, like a gift basket of cooking items because they have started cooking this summer, an art set, and things like that. Please keep in mind we bought them items throughout the year because that is how we are, like their bikes plus cell phones and basic digital cameras for the eldest two.

Our 2yo and 2mo will get fun toys like blocks, a train table, and items from the Disney Store.

Yes, you know your kids best.

I say go for the princess TV! BOTH my kids have tv's in their rooms - they are not hooked up to cable but are there for them to watch thier movies and play games. I am the one that buys or rents the movies and games so I do not have to worry about what they are watching. Also they do not watch it or play games everyday - infact I bet they only use the TV maybe once a week. I get my kids outside and keep them active. I am so tired of people flaming others for kids having TV's in their rooms. It is all about limits. The kids have TV's and we have never had a problem.

imsayin said:
Well since you asked... Personally, I think a TV for a child is ridiculous. My kids are 11 & 8, and they don't have TV's in their rooms (maybe when they are teens). At such a young age, kids are pretty much happy with anything. You can spend under $100 for a 3 y/o and get a lot of toys, IMO. I'd give them $30 to spend at Disney and tell them that was my X-mas present to them. Then, I'd have Santa bring some toys.

I am also in the anti-TV in a child's room group. They watch enough TV in the family room. And then they have one in thier room too. Not only that, but it kind of pushes them to be in thier room away from thier family so young and so soon. The teen years come on too fast, I prefer not to rush that behavior.

To get back on topic... ;) Suggestions for christmas right?

Is your son a reader? Buy the Captain Underpants collection of books by Dav Pilkey. http://www.pilkey.com/index.php These books are hilarious. My DS9 began reading these around 7 1/2 yrs old but if he is a reader, this would be great. How about a variety of gift certs for Barnes & Noble or Books-A-Million, movie theater and ect.? The skateboard is a good idea. My kids love their trampoline. That could be a combo gift and get them outdoors.

I'm not flaming you, but I disagree with having a tv in any child's room.

BTW, I DO have your kids...LOL..6 yo son, 4 yo dd, and 3 yo DD.

I know you said that he doesn't get channels (just for games), but the issue isn't with "tv watching"...the issue is with "screen time" (whether tv, computer, gaming, etc.). This is what needs to be limited nationwide.

And since you said that your DS is obsessed with games, why would you want to start your DD on that path?

I always go with games/toys that stimulate the imagination. I get them lots of dress-up stuff (even for my son...love to be Buzz, Spiderman, etc.) They all get dressed up and then work together for a LONG time to put on a "play" for me and DH! It is hilarious to watch them do it...and this happens often.

DS, in particular, loves K'nex...again, this stimulates imagination, works on fine motor skills, and is FUN (not intended to be a "learning toy" but has lots of benefits). Also, he spends quite a while at it.

I know you are saying "but my kids don't do that kind of stuff..." I think they WILL if you get rid of the screen time.

Just my two cents...

Good luck!

I will not buy my DD a TV either, she is 9. We want her to be with us in the evenings watching TV (when we get the chance!) not in her room.
She wants the new Gameboy this year......she has a Gameboy Advance and a Gameboy SP and hardly plays with either of them.
I think for a younger child a Leapster or Leap Pad are good choices. The one toy DD really played with was her Leap Pad. Never touched the Pixter though. At 3 my DD was happiest with stuffed animals! She still loves Build-A-Bear.
I don't agree with letting kids play video games all the time either. My DD has always had to read to get TV/Computer time. She started reading at 4 with Hooked On Phonics (we loved doing that together) and she now reads at 6th grade level and she is just starting 4th. She really loved the Lemonity Snickett book series last year and read all the Magic Tree House and Animal Ark books several years ago.
We have a trampoline with enclosure that she and her friends use all summer. That would be a good gift depending on where you live, they are marking them down here for the season.

LilMamiBella said:
We didn't even look at the video games. My dh and I are going to talk about what we're going to do re: video games/tv's. I told my ds that he would have to give away some of his toys if he wants new ones from Santa.

Here is what we do to get rid of old toys before Christmas...

We walk through the whole house with the kids and have them choose the toys that they no longer play with (or that another child will get more enjoyment out of, etc.) and on Christmas Eve we put the OLD toys under the tree (and they know these are for children who don't have much).

This REALLY helps them with the giving aspect of Christmas and also helps them realize how fortunate they are.

Then, late at night the old toys go to Good Will and we put out the Christmas presents.

Once they are too old for Santa, we will have them go with us to the Children's Shelter to deliver the used toys (and some new ones, too!).

In our house, Santa is bringing GameBoy SP's for both kids. Grandparents are giving money to buy the games with. Our *first* trip to DisneyWorld is our family gift.

Aside from that, I've squirreled away a few presents to open on Christmas, and the elves need to finish going shopping. (We have Santa's elves bring small surprise every night between Thanksgiving and 12/23). Santa needs some stocking stuffers too...or so I hear!

My kids are getting bikes. The baby is getting a Big Wheel. BTW- my 2 older kids have TVs in their rooms- no cable and they are vchipped against TV14 and up. They only watch the TVs in their rooms a couple times a week. If we had cable they would definately veg out to cartoon network- that is why we got rid of it. If we watch TV in the evenings- we do it together in the family room.

I'm glad there are others who like to get a jump on the holiday shopping. I hate waiting until the last minute! And I NEVER do the day after Thanksgiving shopping.....I'd rather spend more than deal with that chaos...but that' just me ;)

Ok, onto the real subject. We only have one child. Our DD is 3 and I'm already looking into buying her the Loving Family Doll House. She also loves painting and drawing....so I'm thinking about getting her a child easel and supplies. We're also going to Disney the first couple weeks of December so I'm sure I'll get a couple of things then too :jumping1:

Good luck on your decision.....and it is your decision....do what you feel is right for your kids and family :wave2:

I did get some costumes from DD that I planned on giving DD for xmas but don't know if I can wait that long. She will be getting Cinderella DVD for her bday (Halloween) so can't use that for xmas. I will probably look in to one of those small electronic educational games...the last one I checked out was $90 but prices may have changed.

The only thing I know for sure is a doll house for my 4 & 5 yr old dds, and maybe leapsters. I haven't decided on the rest yet.

Oh, I just remembered that I did also get them the princess fleece robes w/ their names embroidered on them & the Princess Karaoke machine from the Disney Store sale earlier in the summer.

Has anyone seen the new Furby's yet? They might be a good one for Christmas. My DD saw them at Walmart the other day and she wants one for her Bday. They are pretty cute - bigger than the original ones.

Last year we bought one of those bouncers from Toys R us. I think it was $149 and was large enough fomr me and the kids to bounce in! They have them shaped like a castle, a princess castle, spider man, and a plain one. I bought the castle one (used primary colors-good for boys and girls) with slide. It is the best present we have given them! They jump like crazy in it! And it's great exercise. :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter