weddings on a budget??

You could also look into getting married on a Monday of a holiday weekend. That really saved us a lot of money. My brother and his wife made their own chocolates as party favors in pretty white boxes with ribbons. It had their new family initial on it.

Katie,

I also wanted to tell you that I just read your engagement TR and your story is so sweet (and all the craziness just makes it that much more memorable!) I was at a conference in Baltimore and DF came out there to surprise me (and propose), as soon as I saw him, I knew what was happening, so I can totally empathize with the excited-nervous-queasy feeling. I was so nervous and happy that I was talking like a fool, but in the end it turned out to be a very "us" proposal, which was perfect:thumbsup2 .

I'm so glad there are so many other budget-minded brides on these boards. I was seriously getting sick of all the frivolousness that most people associate with weddings (if you want it and can afford it, go for it, but my $ is going elsewhere). I am "under-employed" right now, so money is a bit tight, and I'm glad to know that a nice wedding can be done on a budget.

Keep the tips coming!

We spent less than $5k for our wedding in 2003 in CT. Including reception, reception music (pianist), reception, DJ, dress, limo, flowers.
We had the ceremony at DH's church and we had the reception at a hotel ballroom (where DH and I met- I worked in sales and he was a cook!).

One tip if you are looking at a banquet hall- don't just ask for their wedding menus. Ask for all of their banquet menus.. you'll generally find that the dishes on the wedding menu are the most expensive, but the other menus (the ones they use for reunions, parties, etc) have lovely dishes, just priced lower.

A few of our mistakes- we should have gone to listen to the DJ somewhere before booking him & not just taking someone's word for it. He was good, but his set-up made me cringe. He had a sparkly sign on the side that was just tacky! Luckily he was sort of off in the corner..
And splurge for a good photographer. It will be all you have left afterwards (other than the beautiful memories and your DH, of course :) and you'll want to treasure those photos! We skimped in this area and I regret that.
And don't write off grocery store florists. I cringe when I think of how much of a markup we paid on our flowers (they were beautiful, but still..) just because they were from a small specialty shop. I've since seen some of the wedding floral displays at our local grocery store and they were breathtaking, too.. (I was just a snob, I guess).

my cousin is a wedding planner in lowell, mass. he is really good and will work with any budget you have. he creates some beutiful work. he can make centerpieces, bouquets and really do anything you want for whatever price your looking for.

here is his website: http://nuexquisite.com/

take a look. you will be pleased with his work. and truely he will create anything you are looking for.

also there is a reception hall in lowell that you can rent pretty cheap and is very nice. PM if you want the name of the place and info

Katie,

I also wanted to tell you that I just read your engagement TR and your story is so sweet (and all the craziness just makes it that much more memorable!) I was at a conference in Baltimore and DF came out there to surprise me (and propose), as soon as I saw him, I knew what was happening, so I can totally empathize with the excited-nervous-queasy feeling. I was so nervous and happy that I was talking like a fool, but in the end it turned out to be a very "us" proposal, which was perfect:thumbsup2 .

I'm so glad there are so many other budget-minded brides on these boards. I was seriously getting sick of all the frivolousness that most people associate with weddings (if you want it and can afford it, go for it, but my $ is going elsewhere). I am "under-employed" right now, so money is a bit tight, and I'm glad to know that a nice wedding can be done on a budget.

Keep the tips coming!
awe travelgirl! thanks for reading my TR. It was a crazy vacation but it was the most memorable week of my life. Everyday since i have a moment where i think about it and leave reality for a moment.:cloud9: i wish i could be on that carriage ride at FW forever with him. even after all the mess in the begining. i'm truly a lucky girl.:goodvibes

anywho enough mushy stuff. I'm really loving all of these tips, i'm glad i asked the question because this is some great stuff for us budget brides!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter