• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WDW considering implementing a tiered ticket price system

Well if you want to see the Rangers vs Yankees it will probably cost a bit more than seeing them play the Indians. These teams are capitalizing on high demand games by significantly increasing the price.
You made me curious so I went directly to the Rangers ticket box office. They do have $14 "nosebleed" tickets for sale for the Yankees games but where they get people is the high prices for the really good seats. I checked the Indians but couldn't find games against them so I checked other teams and the prices seem to be pretty consistent. I think that we just get to pay more for the good seats consistently.

That aside, I don't doubt that many teams charge more for certain games. It's still just one game though and that makes a big difference to a family's budget.

You made me curious so I went directly to the Rangers ticket box office. They do have $14 "nosebleed" tickets for sale for the Yankees games but where they get people is the high prices for the really good seats. I checked the Indians but couldn't find games against them so I checked other teams and the prices seem to be pretty consistent. I think that we just get to pay more for the good seats consistently.

That aside, I don't doubt that many teams charge more for certain games. It's still just one game though and that makes a big difference to a family's budget.

I'm not saying professional sports and Disney are or should be at parity in terms of $$. I was simply saying tiered pricing structures are becoming the norm. To your point though, the demand to see a mediocre Rangers team play a 3 hour game on a hot summer day is not quite on par with a 12 hour day at the most popular theme park on planet earth. So really a family's budget doesn't come into play as much as maybe what they get for their money. But they both really work hand in hand. My parents couldn't afford to take me to WDW so we went to Six Flags and STL Cardinals games.

I'm neither a fan or nay sayer on the tiered pricing but I know why sports teams do it. And it's clear to me at least why Disney is doing it. Spread the crowds. Sure they want as much revenue as they can get when the place is jammed but they also want people to come the second week in September so they give away free dining and now are looking at adjusting a schedule to give the perception to first timers that they will save money going during an "off season". Whatever that means anymore......

I'm not saying professional sports and Disney are or should be at parity in terms of $$. I was simply saying tiered pricing structures are becoming the norm. To your point though, the demand to see a mediocre Rangers team play a 3 hour game on a hot summer day is not quite on par with a 12 hour day at the most popular theme park on planet earth. So really a family's budget doesn't come into play as much as maybe what they get for their money. But they both really work hand in hand. My parents couldn't afford to take me to WDW so we went to Six Flags and STL Cardinals games.

I'm neither a fan or nay sayer on the tiered pricing but I know why sports teams do it. And it's clear to me at least why Disney is doing it. Spread the crowds. Sure they want as much revenue as they can get when the place is jammed but they also want people to come the second week in September so they give away free dining and now are looking at adjusting a schedule to give the perception to first timers that they will save money going during an "off season". Whatever that means anymore......
Yes, what is an "off season" at WDW? I wonder.

As for a family's budget, they do have to worry about the overall cost more than anything and that can hurt. Just like your parents, many will treat the kids to a baseball game or a local amusement park but the idea of a week in WDW must be awfully daunting strictly due to the overall, constantly increasing cost. Value means nothing if you just don't have the money. And yet people do it in huge numbers.

The NY Yankees have a fixed schedule with games of a fixed duration and a stadium that has a very hard limit on the number of guests it can serve. Their business capacity is very strictly limited.

WDW is much, much more flexible ... in terms of park hours, live entertainment, ride capacity, subsidiary activities like water parks, miniputt, etc. Yes they reach some hard limits a few times of the year, but so does Walmart. Does Walmart crank up prices during the Christmas rush? If they did, that would just be business 101 wouldn't it? Perfectly justified. But would they be reamed out in Time, People, Bloomberg et al. if they tried a money grab at Christmas? You bet.

Other than Christmas, New Year, July 4 and a couple of other holidays ... if WDW has capacity problems it's an artificial problem caused by lack of sufficient new, popular, high-capacity rides and live entertainment.

Other than Christmas, New Year, July 4 and a couple of other holidays ... if WDW has capacity problems it's an artificial problem caused by lack of sufficient new, popular, high-capacity rides and live entertainment.

This is where I disagree...

Capacity has nothing to do with experience. They can honor your ticket and not offer you any reasonable waits for rides...because they in no way have made that promise.

And that is my fundamental complaint with the MM+ upgrades that gobbled up who knows how many billion in capital expenditures...

It's about streamlining...but increasing the capacity of the same old rides...

Having the SAME stuff swallow more people..."comfortably".

They did exactly the opposite of what I would wish as a customer. I would have hoped a period of real attraction investment (like Comcast up the road) would have happens concurrently or even before the RFID install to allow a system that is truly flexible in increasing attendance/capacity while not sacrificing what we all pay for...your day in the park.

That hasn't happened. Half closure of mgm, fast pass tiering...continued mothballing in EPCOT...

Look at 3 "expansions"
That have been announced in the last year...
Extra track on toy story, extra lift on soarin, overlay on maelstrom.

That is simply for "increasing capacity"... Technically what you're saying they haven't done.

From an academic sense I would have to disagree with your complaint.

But...it adds nothing and indeed cheapens the customer experience/value.

And this has been going on for a long, alarming stretch now. I could go on for weeks...but I'll stop there.

I'd just like to throw out there that spirit on wdwmagic said that his sources didn't say much on this other than big changes are coming...

Hearing about what Disney may be thinking about for tickets in the future makes the elimination of "non-expiring" tickets make so much more sense. I didn't understand it at all this spring when Disney stopped selling "non-expiring" tickets. But, if you have a plan to start charging different amounts on different days, sometimes offering up to three different price structures within the same 10 day vacation period, then having "non-expiring" tickets is essentially unworkable. Having so many "non-expiring" tickets out there right now puts a kink in moving forward with a tiered system. They would have to grandfather in old "non-expiring" tickets as Gold Level, good on any day, since that's how the non-expiring tickets were originally sold.

So, the fact that they stopped selling non-expiring tickets tells me that there is a big change around the corner and this tiered system could, in fact, be that change.

I'm thinking that Disney might be testing the waters in more way than one. The Press has been awfully quick to pick up on this.

Exactly. The are really getting some negative press on this!! This may be to much of a PR nightmare to continue.

I'm starting to think this is very likely. It's a huge trending topic in media and Disney seems like they wanted that so its known to people so that when they announce the changes that people aren't so shocked.

Fingers crossed this won't affect passholders too much. Renewal rates can go up over time, correct?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter