• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WDW considering implementing a tiered ticket price system

I think they are just softening the blow for when it happens. I think when something gets this far, it's already decided.

You are 100%. If you understand the operation...you know that this is no "feeler" survey.

This is not hypothetical...it's about controlling the message and prepping for damage control.

Like it or not...this is happening.

I think this is going to be a catastrophic impact to AP holders...moreso in Disneyland, but also in the swamp.

I can't even figure out how they're gonna handle it yet... But I expect massive increases or resrrictions on APs

Possibly tiered AP's? Like the proposal for the tickets. Gold AP good for any day, etc etc. And a brand new price point and renewal price for each one.

This story was on my local news this morning. According to the story, "Disney Officials" are saying it was just a survey and there are no immediate plans to make changes to current ticket prices. Not so sure this is accurate information. Guess we'll see.

This story was on my local news this morning. According to the story, "Disney Officials" are saying it was just a survey and there are no immediate plans to make changes to current ticket prices. Not so sure this is accurate information. Guess we'll see.

It's something to watch for...though I've never seen them stick their necks out in such a manner over a major change in financial policy for "casual purposes"...

I mean...this isn't the "how can we make your day at typhoon lagoon better" or "do you utilize sprite boat rentals" normal nonsense.

It was on my local news as well today

If this is getting negative press, disney doesnt care. If we've learned anything from the Iger reign, he doesn't give a crap what any of us think about WDW and will do the opposite of what we want (because we keep going), and they will toss enough pixie dust on a negative story to make it look positive to anyone.

The Iger reign for WDW has been horrible. Before people used to joke that Disney would turn you up side down to get every penny out of your pocket, now they are doing that and trying to get everyone to max out their credit cards at the same time.

Imagination ran WDW for so long, now its pure and simple wall street. They don't care about the experience you have, all they care about is the money in your pocket.

I'm a bit surprised by the repeated assumption here that if you plan a multiday trip and one day happens to be a silver or gold tier while the rest are bronze that it will automatically raise the entire cost to silver/gold for the entire package.

That seems like an incredibly shortsighted assumption. Folks would instead just book a trip for the bronze days and then book a separate one for the higher tier days. I mean, why would someone get forced to paying a higher price for every single day just because one day they are there is higher?

Disney is not run by idiots. They already have a system that calculates daily hotel rates and gives you the sum without rounding every single night up to the highest cost. WHy wouldn't they use a similar approach to the ticket system?

At the end of the day, the worst part of this is how it continues to push people into the slower times creating a scenario where it is becoming more and more difficult to plan your vacation at a time that isn't shoulder to shoulder crowded.

And while it is incredibly disappointing to see prices going up when arguably only one park is worth full admission, these price jumps aren't high enough to run a typical family off.

If the smiths want to go to Disney in the 3rd or 4th week of december, then the smiths aren't going to see that it costs an extra $100 per person for their 5 day trip ($20 difference between gold and bronze x 5 days) when they are already dropping several thousand for the rest of the trip. And honestly, it wouldn't even be $100 per person since the cost goes down on the multi-day tickets. But my point still stands. Your average person decides when they want to go before they start looking at costs or crowd trackers or any of this stuff. They type the dates into the website or call the vacation hotline, get a quote and for the most part continue from there. They aren't going to be pulling up tiered ticket calendars.

The Iger reign for WDW has been horrible. Before people used to joke that Disney would turn you up side down to get every penny out of your pocket, now they are doing that and trying to get everyone to max out their credit cards at the same time.

Imagination ran WDW for so long, now its pure and simple wall street. They don't care about the experience you have, all they care about is the money in your pocket.

We could have a knock down drag out raging debate on this point...and we may...

But I completely agree with you and it is my fundamental argument/stance.

From the longterm perspective...even for the first timer... The management approach at wdw has been bad and is setting up for longterm value/ experience erosion for the compound.

But if you don't look at what that might look like - you just don't care now. You will when it's too late. You can't hope to avoid an avalanche at the bottom of the mountain.

Iger has been GREAT for TWDC on the whole...I think he has done a great job in many facets. It's not an easy job (overpaid... But not easy) and he had done some fantastic negotiations and PR management...

But wdw has not been a highlight...like the money pit parks in china and too
Much emphasis on sweatshop products and "good relations".

And I have benefited more than most from the "approach" in the swamp...as a DVC member - the one component that has been pursued properly with appropriate attention, investment, and reasonable construction timelines.

But that does not make the grade in the whole.

I'm a bit surprised by the repeated assumption here that if you plan a multiday trip and one day happens to be a silver or gold tier while the rest are bronze that it will automatically raise the entire cost to silver/gold for the entire package.

That seems like an incredibly shortsighted assumption. Folks would instead just book a trip for the bronze days and then book a separate one for the higher tier days. I mean, why would someone get forced to paying a higher price for every single day just because one day they are there is higher?

Disney is not run by idiots. They already have a system that calculates daily hotel rates and gives you the sum without rounding every single night up to the highest cost. WHy wouldn't they use a similar approach to the ticket system?

At the end of the day, the worst part of this is how it continues to push people into the slower times creating a scenario where it is becoming more and more difficult to plan your vacation at a time that isn't shoulder to shoulder crowded.

And while it is incredibly disappointing to see prices going up when arguably only one park is worth full admission, these price jumps aren't high enough to run a typical family off.

If the smiths want to go to Disney in the 3rd or 4th week of december, then the smiths aren't going to see that it costs an extra $100 per person for their 5 day trip ($20 difference between gold and bronze x 5 days) when they are already dropping several thousand for the rest of the trip. And honestly, it wouldn't even be $100 per person since the cost goes down on the multi-day tickets. But my point still stands. Your average person decides when they want to go before they start looking at costs or crowd trackers or any of this stuff. They type the dates into the website or call the vacation hotline, get a quote and for the most part continue from there. They aren't going to be pulling up tiered ticket calendars.

Well...you just have to ask yourself if you truly believe a bronze or a bronze/silver ticket is going to be at a lower cost.

It's possible...but not likely. They have never done a permanent reduction in prices. Promotions - yes - reductions...no.

To look at the "closest" example...when they stripped probably 25-30% out of the dining plan - I think it was 2009 - they adjust the price $1 dollar or so.

It would be highly unlikely even a "bronze" ticket would go down...and it would be token at best...

And eliminated the next year in the annual price increase anyway.

They can also set the Bronze lower, but make the number of Bronze days so low that they end up reaping greater revenue anyway. It's brilliant when you think of it, they would get to say, some of our tickets went up in price, but some went down. Kind of like how they neutralized the "you-only-get-3-FPs" issue by letting people have at the scraps via kiosks that could only be found inside the park.

There's no assumption. It was clearly stated as such on the survey.

There's no assumption. It was clearly stated as such on the survey.

Good point that slipped past me...

$100 - $115 - $125

I love how non charitable business entities are so often given the incorrect "benefit of the doubt" of being charitable.

That's pre-tax too, kids...

Possibly tiered AP's? Like the proposal for the tickets. Gold AP good for any day, etc etc. And a brand new price point and renewal price for each one.
There is already tiered AP's for FL residents and 2 levels for everyone else. If Disney started offering the same AP's to everyone as they do for FL residents, things could get interesting. Buy weekday only AP's, play at WDW during the week and then go to Universal or Sea World on the weekends.

Now that won't work for all as there are blackout dates for those AP's but it will work for a lot of guests.

There is already tiered AP's for FL residents and 2 levels for everyone else. If Disney started offering the same AP's to everyone as they do for FL residents, things could get interesting. Buy weekday only AP's, play at WDW during the week and then go to Universal or Sea World on the weekends.

Now that won't work for all as there are blackout dates for those AP's but it will work for a lot of guests.

Weekday/incentive pass will not be offered to the general public outside of Florida Res...

Why? Because as you pointed out... It would be delivering customers to competitors and losing on property days.

The out of town APs... Which are everyone because the Florida pass covers everyone to 4 hours drive distance... Aren't coming to stay a few days here or there like fl ressies...

They want them there for 14 days straight and wouldn't want to discourage that.

I think there are some things they can do to the out-of-town APs...

Perhaps have one option that has hopping, free parking, and some dining and merch discounts.
And one that doesn't have those benefits.
And a deluxe one that has all of the above and the waterparks.

Sort of along the lines as the Universal annual passes.

Just enough to muddy the waters so they can put in significant price increases...

Well, if guests did as you suggest wouldn't they lose the benefits of having longer multiple day tickets? I really don't know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter