Was I wrong to respond to rudeness with more rudeness?

First of all-
working in a movie theater is USUALLY someones first job
Its a learning thing
If you have worked there for a long time, that means you are not "Hireable" at something better
This isn't a waiter at a fine dining establishment-this is a poor schmuch doing a job he/she really wished they weren't at

Well wishing you weren't at your job is not a valid excuse to not do your job, first one or otherwise. If you are in customer service, you serve the customer. If you can't handle that, transfer to janitorial.

Well wishing you weren't at your job is not a valid excuse to not do your job, first one or otherwise. If you are in customer service, you serve the customer. If you can't handle that, transfer to janitorial.
Very well said.

Also, getting paid very little is also not an excuse to be miserable at your job. My children all worked low paying fast food jobs as teenagers. They were cheerful and polite, even when their day was not going very well. It was a chance to practice their coping skills, as well as show their manager that they were hard workers.

Having a bad day? Suck it up or take the day off. Your choice. But don't wear a chip on your shoulder at work. This goes for any job.

The sad thing is they don't even make minimum wage. For some reason concessions is exempt from minimum wage. I'm surprised they can even get anyone to work there. Homeless people panhandling on the street make more money than this kid.

First of all-
working in a movie theater is USUALLY someones first job
Its a learning thing
If you have worked there for a long time, that means you are not "Hireable" at something better
This isn't a waiter at a fine dining establishment-this is a poor schmuch doing a job he/she really wished they weren't at
I'll never understand why it seems necessary to rationalize away poor performance on these grounds. Young people (or under-educated people or inexperienced people, or whatever) are not conscripted into these jobs. If they don't want them they shouldn't have applied in the first place. And they need to actually EARN the money they make, no matter how little it may be, just like the rest of us. If that means smiling, being polite and thanking a customer at the end of a transaction (which I believe it does in these roles) then they just need to freakin' well suck it up and do that. As customers paying good money for products and services are we supposed to approach them apologetically and hope it's not too much trouble for them to ring up a bag of popcorn? Geeze...

No time to read through 6 pages, but I absolutely disagree with your wife! I'm a stickler for politeness and good customer service. I don't care one little bit about customer service being a hard job or what kind of day that guy had. There is absolutely NO excuse for someone to finger-gesture "C'mon, c'mon..." instead of asking a simple "Can I help you?"

The few responses I did read here floor me. This person is getting PAID to stand there, take money, fill a soda cup and popcorn bag, AND act like they enjoy it. If they don't enjoy it (or can't act like it) then nobody is forcing them to work there. Part of their job is to act like they are happy to serve you some popcorn.

If they don't want the job, quit. If that's the only job they qualify for, in their area, that's hiring, whatever - then suck it up buttercup and learn to fake it till you make it. (or can find a better job)

NO EXCUSES.

No, onto your real question - your response. You called him out on being rude. I see nothing wrong with that. You stated what the rude gesture was, what should have happened, and he apologized and continued on with the transaction.

I remember once when I was a teen, I worked for a muffin shop at the mall. A customer decided to pay and then wait for a freshly baked muffin that was almost done in the oven. When it was ready, I called out to the customer, who was sitting on a bench in the mall (in front of our store) that it was ready. He walked over to my counter, leaned in, and gestured for me to come closer. Then he said "You really should have walked this out to me instead of yelling at me to come and get it halfway across the mall."

I was so embarrassed, and mad at him at the time, like "how dare he say that to me!!!"

I just turned 39 years old, and that single lesson in customer service from a older gentleman at a muffin shop has stayed with me for a lifetime.

If we don't speak up, the world will never change. Customer service will only stay good if we as the patrons of a business expect and demand it.

Last edited:

Oh, I totally agree! But, my friend, when a customer is calling you a "fat idiot" because their movie is sold out, you just gotta bite your tongue, eh? ;)

Oh man, I worked in a "customer service" job once as a temporary position before I moved overseas. It taught me a lot of respect and empathy for people who do those jobs!

People (customers) can be animals, yelling degrading remarks and basically having a temper tantrum because they didn't get what they want.

I had a lovely gentleman come into the store a couple days before Xmas and demand an iPod (it was the year the color iPod mini first came out-forever ago). When I explained that we and every other store in the area were sold out,he proceeded to tell me that I was a piece of trash and a worthless slut and why was I even here if I couldn't give him what he wanted as that was my only purpose in life. Then he asked for my manager cause he was going to make sure my good for nothing *** got fired.

What a gem. This wasn't the case with the OP but I'm amazed at the number of abusive customers I see when out and about. It's rather disgusting that so many adults feel so entitled that they forget how to treat other human beings. I don't think anybody should have to put up with that at work.

Don't get me wrong, I've encountered people who can't do their jobs or have less than stellar customer service but respect goes both ways.

Oh man, I worked in a "customer service" job once as a temporary position before I moved overseas. It taught me a lot of respect and empathy for people who do those jobs!

People (customers) can be animals, yelling degrading remarks and basically having a temper tantrum because they didn't get what they want.

I had a lovely gentleman come into the store a couple days before Xmas and demand an iPod (it was the year the color iPod mini first came out-forever ago). When I explained that we and every other store in the area were sold out,he proceeded to tell me that I was a piece of trash and a worthless slut and why was I even here if I couldn't give him what he wanted as that was my only purpose in life. Then he asked for my manager cause he was going to make sure my good for nothing *** got fired.

What a gem. This wasn't the case with the OP but I'm amazed at the number of abusive customers I see when out and about. It's rather disgusting that so many adults feel so entitled that they forget how to treat other human beings. I don't think anybody should have to put up with that at work.

Don't get me wrong, I've encountered people who can't do their jobs or have less than stellar customer service but respect goes both ways.
Agreed! Both sides are capable of being wrong. I've gone to stores and encountered absolutely rude and obnoxious workers that offended me. And I, an 18 year old female at the time, have been physically threathened by huge, grown men.

I make it seem like it happened a lot, but it really doesn't. 1 in 1,000. Most people are nice. But I've called security before.

I spent a summer working at an amusement park. I was 19 and had just completed my first year of college. One of my rides was the Zephyr train, which was the 2nd oldest ride in the park at the time. The train was not a round trip. You got off at the station at the other end of the park, where the toddler rides were. There were signs saying this, on every single wooden post in the line for the train. We even announce this before people get on.

One evening, a man (probably in his mid 40's) absolutely refused to get off at the station. He started insulting me, saying me made so much more money than I did, blah blah blah. Well of course you do, moron. I'm still in college. I was considering quitting right then and there. My manager was with me at the time, and let me take a break. However, she backed down and let the dude stay on the train.

There were things I liked about that job. But there were things I absolutely hated about it. Customers who didn't pay attention was issue #1. Didn't read any sign at all. Oh, there's only 2 people allowed per ride car? Yes, moron, it was on the sign at the entrance to the ride. Oh, my son is too small? Yes, moron, it was on the sign at the entrance to the ride. Drove me absolutely insane.

Last edited:
I do not understand how you were rude based on your initial description. You made an inquiry to clarify a gesture made to you. You then explained your confusion based on how customer service is commonly conducted. You don't say you yelled. You don't say you threatened.

The cashier was employed to be there to provide a service you were paying for. You didn't abuse him from what you've stated. I wonder, if he wasn't out of line in his behavior to you as the customer, would it have been appropriate for you to respond by pointing to what you wanted, then snapping your fingers at him to tell him to speed it up?

I would have done the same (but that's because I'm a guy :rolleyes2 )

I give what I get. If I get rude, then I give rude. I will also give polite and courteous if that's what I get. As the customer, I shouldn't have to be the one that initiates the tone. On the same token, if the employee does an about face after being served some of the same treatment, then I do as well.

I don't find the OP's response rude at all. I worked as a sales manager in a large store for 5 years. I have seen and been abused by some incredibly rude customers. One told me my mother was dying because I was a bad daughter. However mentioning poor customer service and how the employee should greet a customer isn't rude.

Why is kid in quotation marks? Do you have some information we don't about his actual age? Or is referring to any minor using terminology associated with young farm animals offensive? :confused3

:rolleyes2

Well that escalated quickly...

I put kid in quotation marks because, as the OP said, he was approx. 18 years old. In the United States, the age of 18 years and older signifies that you are legally an adult, thus not a "kid" (or "minor", as you prefer...).

No, I don't have any secret information that the rest of the members on Disboard don't know about this "kids" (or "child's", or "adults") age... All I know is what the OP told us - that the cinema employee looked to be about 18 years of age, thus making him an adult and not a minor .

I'm not sure where in my post you thought I was offended by people calling children or minors terminology associated with young farm animals... :laughing: I guess I didn't realize calling a minor a "kid" was such a controversial topic??

Didn't get a chance to read all the replies, but the cashier doing that gesture would have made me see red as well. I would have had to snark it up too. Although, there's a good chance the cashier's gesture wasn't meant to be rude and moreso a case of a teenager in a job that lacks experience, people skills, training on what's appropriate, etc. But it still would have irked me too.

Yesterday as I was paying a toll on the NJ Turnpike into NYC (I had forgotten my EZpass in another car) I pulled up to the lane and the cashier never greeted me. I handed her my ticket and money and she handed me back change. Not a word was said between us. It was weird but I was waiting for her to at least say Hello or Thank you - not a single word. I think you were right, perhaps a tad bit harsh but a Hello and Thank you are the absolute basics and they need to say that each and every transaction.

I think your reply was forceful but not rude. I think we get to easy going on expecting decent service and without customers the finger circlers could have no where to work so letting them know that saying a few common words is the least they can do for you frequenting their establishment and providing them with a livelihood is fine.

I don't think the OP's response was rude. I have a second job in a customer service field and I am a supervisor. If I saw one of my employees behave that way to a customer I wouldn't mind one bit having a customer give that response, and then apologizing myself to the customer and later having a talk with my employee about proper ways to address customers. As much as I drill the importance of good customer service to my high school aged employees, alot of them just don't get it, and maybe need a wake up call like that one.

Yesterday as I was paying a toll on the NJ Turnpike into NYC (I had forgotten my EZpass in another car) I pulled up to the lane and the cashier never greeted me. I handed her my ticket and money and she handed me back change. Not a word was said between us. It was weird but I was waiting for her to at least say Hello or Thank you - not a single word. I think you were right, perhaps a tad bit harsh but a Hello and Thank you are the absolute basics and they need to say that each and every transaction.

My uncle worked at a toll plaza in FL for a little while and was so amused about how all of the drivers expected (in a friendly way) a little chit chat. He was a truck driver before that and was used to the silent exchange of cash for access. He loved the friendliness and got all into after he was used to it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter