Was I wrong to respond to rudeness with more rudeness?

topolino

DIS Veteran
Let me set the scene. My wife and I were at the cinema, and once we passed the usher who scans your ticket, we got in line at the snack bar. It was one of those situations where there's only one line and the person in front goes to whichever cashier becomes available. When it was my turn, I approached the open cashier, a young man of about 18.

I stepped to the counter in front of him and instinctively didn't say anything, waiting for the customary "Can I help you?" He never said this, but instead gave me the classic "start talking" motion with his hand (hand held horizontally with one or two fingers out and rotated like a wheel). Well when I saw this I saw red, despite the fact that I'm a really easy-going guy. I said, "Are you open?", to which he responded, "Yes". I then said, "Oh, because when I stepped up you didn't say anything, instead you chose to make a rude gesture. Traditionally the customer is greeted by the cashier with, 'hello, can I help you' or something to that effect". He apologized and asked if he could help me.

The rest of the transaction went through smoothly, albeit with a bit of tension. My wife said I was a bit too harsh, but one thing I have little patience for is poor customer service.

Incidentally, we saw San Andreas, which was more or less typical action fodder, but with a decent story and good performances, in my opinion.

I side with your wife. While I don't think it was overly rude on your part, it also wasn't overly kind. The poor kid might have had a rough shift already. I would have cut him slack.

Thanks for the San Andreas review. We've been thinking about seeing it.

That said, I do think that your response was a little over the top.

I think you were a little over the top, but I don't see a problem with letting him know you weren't positive he was open because he didn't say anything to you when you got up to the counter.

I agree with you that he was rude if he just gestured at you instead of asking what you wanted. That's rude in any situation like that. Like, use your words people. I probably wouldn't have cared enough to say what you did though. Probably would have rolled my eyes and just have gotten the transaction done without a thank you.

Let me set the scene. My wife and I were at the cinema, and once we passed the usher who scans your ticket, we got in line at the snack bar. It was one of those situations where there's only one line and the person in front goes to whichever cashier becomes available. When it was my turn, I approached the open cashier, a young man of about 18.

I stepped to the counter in front of him and instinctively didn't say anything, waiting for the customary "Can I help you?" He never said this, but instead gave me the classic "start talking" motion with his hand (hand held horizontally with one or two fingers out and rotated like a wheel). Well when I saw this I saw red, despite the fact that I'm a really easy-going guy. I said, "Are you open?", to which he responded, "Yes". I then said, "Oh, because when I stepped up you didn't say anything, instead you chose to make a rude gesture. Traditionally the customer is greeted by the cashier with, 'hello, can I help you' or something to that effect". He apologized and asked if he could help me.

The rest of the transaction went through smoothly, albeit with a bit of tension. My wife said I was a bit too harsh, but one thing I have little patience for is poor customer service.

Incidentally, we saw San Andreas, which was more or less typical action fodder, but with a decent story and good performances, in my opinion.
Meh. I bet the cashier will think twice about using that kind of rude disrespectful signal again. I guess you could have been nicer about it, but better for him from you than from his manager.

I would have reacted the same as your wife...you know, don't sweat the small stuff :flower1: At least you didn't point out what you were after with a different hand gesture :rolleyes1

Personally, I think what you did was fine. The level of customer service seems to be deteriorating at a very rapid rate in many cases. Part of this is because many people do not want to confront the poor service as it occurs. This is something my husband would do as well. He is so tired of going to stores and cahiers never even acknowledging you or mumbling something incoherent in the customers general direction.

And I am sure someone will say that you don't know what he may have going on personally to make him have an off day. Until I know differently, he was still supposed to provide good service.

Nope I think you were totally right. I have been in customer service a long time and no matter what kind of day/ shift that person was having that was disrespectful and rude. Harsh maybe....but deserved as he wasn't showing you respect either which everyone totally deserves. His manners needed improving as well. I would have done the same thing as I have high standards of customer service I expect from myself and therefore expect the same when I'm being served. Good for you!

It could've been worse, you could've gone to the manager and said the same thing you said to the kid. That probably would've gotten the kid reprimanded or fired. So by saying it yourself, you may have enlightened him and saved his job.

Others are pointing out that customer service is declining. Well, thanks to smartphones and technology, people are forgetting or just plain don't know how to interact with others.

Remember, these are mostly high school kids working for gas money (I could be completely wrong, job market is still tough), but when I think movies, I think of kids in high school. They aren't very well versed as say, a bank teller or some other professional you would interact with.

Thanks to all who've responded so far, and not just those that agreed with me. I don't start threads like this for validation, but rather to honestly hear various opinions.

People complain all the time about how manners are declining but they never do anything about it. You explained to the kid how he was not meeting basic customer service expectations. Thank you. Maybe that will help him in the future.

Personally, I think what you did was fine. The level of customer service seems to be deteriorating at a very rapid rate in many cases. Part of this is because many people do not want to confront the poor service as it occurs. This is something my husband would do as well. He is so tired of going to stores and cahiers never even acknowledging you or mumbling something incoherent in the customers general direction.

And I am sure someone will say that you don't know what he may have going on personally to make him have an off day. Until I know differently, he was still supposed to provide good service.

Nope I think you were totally right. I have been in customer service a long time and no matter what kind of day/ shift that person was having that was disrespectful and rude. Harsh maybe....but deserved as he wasn't showing you respect either which everyone totally deserves. His manners needed improving as well. I would have done the same thing as I have high standards of customer service I expect from myself and therefore expect the same when I'm being served. Good for you!

Yes, people do tend to excuse poor behavior by customer service workers by saying that we don't know what they are going through and that maybe they are having a bad day. I like to look at it from the customer's perspective, too, however. Maybe the customer is also having a bad day, and maybe a friendly interaction with a salesclerk or cashier or at the very least a bit of the respect that every customer deserves would be enough to put a smile on his or her face..

Yes, people do tend to excuse poor behavior by customer service workers by saying that we don't know what they are going through and that maybe they are having a bad day. I like to look at it from the customer's perspective, too, however. Maybe the customer is also having a bad day, and maybe a friendly interaction with a salesclerk or cashier or at the very least a bit of the respect that every customer deserves would be enough to put a smile on his or her face..

This just how I feel...by setting out to do my best and find some way to make someone else's day better...my day is better too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter