Walt Warriors

Good evening Warriors!

Me and Winnie the Pooh are living through the very blustery day today. Offshore 25 knot winds today. The sea is reclaiming some of the recently pumped sand today!

Had a nice W&D 1/2 marathon. Ran a real good pace until the last 3ish miles when my hips started to tighten up really bad. My DD says that is a sign of weak hips and I need to do some hip abd/adduction exercises to cure this, so I'm starting to work this into my weight routine. Was hoping for a sub 2 hour run, but the hips slowed me down to a 2:04. I'm not sure, but I think that may be a PR. Stamina-wise I felt fine, but my strides got really short, so............. Maybe next time.

Going to try and get my run on in the morning. Have done a couple of short bricks in the last few days. I have the Space Coast coming up, but I'm probably going to take it pretty easy on that one. I do still need to start getting some REAL LR's in. I'm doing the Mickey in January, & that's e first full for me in a couple of years. Need to get prepared!

Hope all are well. Stay safe and have fun!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Congrats Jim! Sorry you're having some pain.

We are back in business! Power came back on Thurs after 10 days without. My mid-week runs we're disrupted but I maintained my long runs. This past weekend was 8.57mile walk on Sat followed by a 21 mile run on Sunday. I'm still a bit sore but I survived.

Amanda

Early Saturday GOOD MORNING to all!

Jim-sorry to read that W&D didn't go completely as planned but the best is yet to come. Space Coast is nice and flat so taking things easy can easily be done while enjoying the scenery. Still time for those extra miles before Mickey, just don't eat the entire turkey. ;)

Amanda-bet the 10 days seemed like 10 years. Great going with your back to back trainer. :thumbsup2

AFM-NEWS FLASH-I haven't fallen lately. :rotfl: Even with the Space Coast Marathon next Sunday, I still haven't gotten any long training miles in. After all of my recent mishaps, I have no interest in going for a PR. Will use the race as a warm-up for January's Dopey Weekend.

On the triathlon front, I have begun a pre-training body preparation routine. Went out for a 60 mile bike ride on Monday and then had the MRI for right shoulder. See ortho Wednesday and will lay down the operation results I am expecting. Thursday another 50 miles on bike then 3.31 miles of feet pavement pounding. Combining my speed-walking with jogging for 3 miles resulted in a high 9:00mpm pace range. Went into a running stride for the last .31 mile and pace was 8:36 with no knee issues. :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Yesterday I hit the County pool (83 degree water/62 degree air temp) for the first time since my bicycle crash in the Rev3 tri. Managed 1500 yards then hopped on my 40lb. grocery grabber bike for 15 miles then 3.62 miles of pavement pounding. I'm going call these workouts my SISTs, Self Imposed Sprint Triathlons. Feeling pretty good right now with minimal soreness.

5:00AM tomorrow Kathy and I get out for our 1 week before Space Coast walk. Make breakfast for Kathy when we get home then a 50/60 mile bike ride with a couple of buddies. Will be discussing serious training workouts with Bob since he is a low 7:00mpm runner, super strong biker and he will be doing the Olympic Duathlon in March while I'm doing the 70.3. It helps that both the guys are 12 years younger than me and strong bikers.

How about everybody makes a pre-new year resolution to stay healthy and train wisely. I think we have had enough Wounded Walt's Warriors this year and for the distant future.

Hoping u-all enjoy the upcoming holiday with your family and stay healthy.

John- I love the thought of a healthy new year, we've not been good this year at all have we?!?! REALLY pleased you havent fallen again and hope the MRI results go as you hope. It would be amazing if ortho could fix your shoulder up good as new.

Jeremy- how are you doing? Sorry things have been really challenging lately and i cant imagine the frustration of not being able to get x-ray, we really take that stuff for granted!

Jim- hurray for PR even with tight hips!!!! Never nice to finish a race in discomfort bit great work and wonderful to hear you're already working to resolve the issue. Hope you're raring to go for space half!

Amanda- thrilled you have power back! Eeep 10days is a long time! Is your neighbourhood ok apart from power loss? Amazing that you got runs in!!!!!!

Me- been avoiding Dis a little as I was almost at the point of booking princess half and it turns out it clashes with something at uni that can't be moved. Boo. Nothing a couple of sulky days won't fix hey! I've promised myself if I get through this next year I'm booking a Disney race or New York half! Training took a back seat as I lost my motivation, but started to play badminton with DH and it's been great having quality time with him. I'll find a local race soon I promise :) santa dash 4km with friends on dec 8th anyway so that'll be fun!!!!

Good Morning Warriors!

Amanda - Great news about the free flowing electrons again!! Hopefully you are on an upward trend for a while now!

John - Keep holding gravity at bay!! One of my (many) philosophies of life is that gravity can be your friend or it can be your enemy. No falls means it's (for now) your friend. Keep it that way.

Kate - Bummer about not making the Princess. My Lovely Luscious Bride was going to do it, but also, alas, scheduling gets in the way. We are going to do the 5K that weekend the day before just for the heck of it. Someday we WILL cross paths................. :-)

Johde - Great efforts, but be sure to take it easy on the knees. You gotta' keep thinking long term, esp. with the bones & muscles (says the guy who NEVER follows Doctor's orders........:P )

AFM - Not Much here............ Winter is here (sort of) for a couple of days. We have a northeaster camped off of the coast right now which is bringing brisk cold offshore winds and some overcast, but no snow ;-) . Went for a 29 mile ride on the bike today. First time on the tri bike for about 3-4 weeks. Last time I did SOMETHING (I know not what) which set my back off badly for a few days. So far, so good today though. Running is ok since the W&D. Been working on the hips at the gym too. We'll see what happens at the space coast on Sunday. Not going to push really hard, just going running and taking some pictures.

For the (as my British Mother -In-Law calls us) "Bloody Colonists" among us Happy Thanksgiving!! For the Royalists...um, well, HAPPY THURSDAY!!!

Hi all Good to hear everything is going fairly well for everyone. The knee is doing better most of the time. Although last Thursday I was getting ready to go to choir and I did something and had pain worse than I've had for quite a while. I haven't done any running or long distance walking yet. In good news, I've book my airfare for my next WDW trip. I'm flying out Dec 31st and returning Jan 8th. So I'm missing Marathon weekend. I had almost registered for the half marathon but the second school I've taught at once starts Jan 7th so I planned the trip for the week earlier. I'm hoping to do 4 WDW days 2-3 Universal days and a day or 2 at the water parks.

Gosh I can't believe how long it's been since I check in here- Pre Hawaiian cruise I think!

I will be at Princess with DD#2 Becky (our 3rd together) and I started my training this week- Just for the record, a holiday week probably isn't the best for that! LOL

Kate and Jim~ sure wish the schedules worked out for Princess!
johde~ hope the knee pain is better, enjoy the Uni and WDW trip in Dec!
JimB~ Good Luck tomorrow (? do I have the days right?) at the Space Coast.
DrMom~ it's good to hear you have power and things are beginning to normalize again!

I have 2 runs under my belt, and way to much food this week, so I have to sort that out!

I agree that a goal for this year needs to be "stay healthy", I did a Turkey Trot Thursday with 2 nieces and one DD and started feeling a pull in what I'm sure is IT band so it's back on the foam roller!

I hope you all have a great rest of the weekend! and again Have a great run JimB!

Happy Sunday Warriors!!

It's been a fun filled weekend! Nice holiday with the family. No stress WHATSOEVER!!

Nice college football Saturday, capped off by a PASTING of the FSU Seminoles by the Florida Gators! Color me thrilled! Impressed! But mostly, surprised.

This morning was a real early wake up. Because we spent the weekend in Celebration, we had to drive over to the Space Coast really early. Got there and parked without difficulty. Early morning packet pick up.......and they were out of XS shirts. My Lovely Luscious Bride was not pleased. :-( I can't understand why races run out of shirts of ANY size. Why bother asking on the entry? Then, I discovered my Garmin decided to pass from this life onto the next. Totally "frozen" display. No amount of button smashing, cajoling, begging or whining would get it to work, so I ran the race without any timing aid whatsoever.

The weather was great ( a bit cold for my LLB's tastes, but she was properly packaged for the temperature). Today was also my DD's first 1/2 Marathon!

Anywhoo..............long story short --> turns out timing aids are way overrated. Finished in 1:58:29!! A new PR. Fastest. Half. Ever.

And my DD finished in about 2:40 and my LLB finished in about 2:52. She seemed to have some issues, but persevered and finished strong!

A real nice race (except for the shirt issue........). Well organized, lots of food afterwards. The course is kinda' rough, so you have to be careful in the dark, but otherwise really good. Nice run along the river in the morning in perfect weather!

Only negative is that the "Hip tightness Thing" came up again, but not as badly. Maybe the new hip exercises at the gym are paying off!

Ya'll stay safe and keep at it!

Pam - Good luck to you and your DD in your training for the princess.

Jim - Sorry to hear they were out of shirts in your wifes size. I've had trouble with that a couple of times on the other end of the size scale, I'm needing a 2XL and they only have XL's left.

As for me, the knees doing OK but I still haven't started running on it again that will be the big test. I need to at least start walking again to get ready for my Disney trip. Unfortunately between the holidays and not being able to run my weight has crept up more than a little bit. I'd like to lose at least some of the weight again to make sure I don't have any problems at Universal fitting on the rides.

Hey hey!!!! Wow we've not been on here for ages!

Jim- how's your hip doing? It's wonderful when you can see the exercises paying off!

Jeremy- hope knees are good and your getting on ok!

I've fallen off the wagon a bit, not increasing mileage as I should because I don't have a race scheduled! Need to sort that asap :)

Oh and it's nearly Christmas!!!!! have magical holidays everyone!

Good Morning Warriors,

Training for the Princess over the Holidays is a lot easier than for Marathon weekend (thank-goodness!!) I haven't missed a run because of Christmas activities since the beginning of my training program-but I did miss Thursdays but have mostly made up the distance/running time, and since my long run today is 5 miles it's doable. DH had some oral surgery Thursday and couldn't be left alone which is why I missed the training run. My Y cross fit class is off until July 7th (although they gave us workouts to do) so I can get my runs done in conjunction with the weights (for cardio) and spend more time with the family that is going to be in town.

Have a Merry Christmas Warriors and I hope you all have great runs into the new year!

Kate - I know the feeling. Come the New Year, I need to get started back up again.

Pam - That's strange that the cross fit classes would take 6 months off. Missing one run isn't going to kill things.

As for me, things here are coming along. For the most part, the knees are feeling OK. I notice them some after walking on cement for long periods of time. The other side of things is I still haven't done any significant running or walking since October, just the occasional day here and there. Right now, I only have one thing officially on the calendar. The Cleveland RNR half this coming fall. I'm thinking once I get through the holidays and vacations I'm hoping to try to get started up again slowly.

oops that no Cross Fit until July was a typo- I meant January.

Last week I didn't get a lot of work out in between the holidays, kids home and head cold I only got one run in and did 2 days of weights in one day.

This week has started better and I got my 4 miles in and a weight lifting session. My plan is to do last weeks 6 this week, this weeks 7 next week and skip next weeks 4 mile long run to catch up.

I think I may treat myself to a new pair of shoes to as soon as I pay off this weeks bills LOL.

Happy New Year Warriors!

To all Warriors and families,

Best of everything for the New Year!

Amanda-saddened to read about your mom. Stay strong by remembering the special times.

Thank you John. My mom collapsed on Christmas Eve and passed on a few days later. It was completely unexpected. I'm still planning to run e Goofy with her smiling down on me.

Happy New Year to all!

Amanda

{{{Amanda}}} I lost my mom early Feb of 2012 and know she was smiling on us as the girls and I all did the Princess the end of that month.

To all the Warriors leaving to do WDW weekend have a safe trip and a good run!

Oh Amanda, I'm so sorry about your mum. I'm certain that every bit of unexpected energy during race weekend will be from her!

Pam I did wonder what you guys had done to your cross fit instructor to make them leave you for 7 months!!!! Brilliant that you've been able to keep going with the exercise and that your new year has started strong.

John Wishing you a happy and healthy New Year too!

Jeremy Hope you're enjoying WDW!!!! Aaaahh to be there now (not writing essays!)

Jim Hope you're doing OK and got a bit of a break from work over the holiday period.

Me I went to get new running shoes and the lady said my stride was 'sporadic' making it difficult to decide which type to go for. It didn't matter in the end as they did not have a single running shoe in my size!!!! The evil Nike's live on! Got out for a run yesterday and did a 7.5 mile run after Christmas, which is my longest in ages so that felt good after all of the overindulging.

Take care everyone and Warriors heading to WDW: have a wonderful time!
(extra hug for Amanada again!)

Happy Sunday Warriors!!,

Unfortunately I have been absent for way too long........ Not much is going on down here in warm, wintery Florida.

My training for the Mickey has absolutely sucked eggs this year. I have done no runs longer than a 1/2 marathon at all this year. At. All. Sooooooo, my expectations this year are really low. I am planning to latch onto the 4 1/2 hour pace group and hang on as long as I can. Between that, lots of pain killers and anti inflammatories, lots of Reese's Peanut Butter cups & KT Tape, we'll see what happens. Should be fun! Or at least interesting.

My DD and my acupuncturist sez I have really tight ITB's. Lovely. My DD sez to use a roller on my hips and thighs to loosen them up. Did that for the first time today. Have not been in so much pain since I ran into a truck 2 years ago. That s*** hurts!! !!! !!!!!! But I DID feel "looser" afterward.

Hope everyone else is doing well. Looking forward to hopefully seeing some bodies next weekend. I'll be the guy in the black tights and (non-WISH) fluorescent green short sleeve shirt grabbing his hip, cussing and wincing. ;-). Look me up!

Amanda, I just noted about your mom's passing. My sincere sympathies.......:-(

Peace, Love and Prayers to all my Warrior friends in the new year....:-)

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Edited because my grammar sucks.

Hi everyone,

I had a good vacation. I was expecting busy, buy some days were better than others. New Years Eve at EPCOT was pretty good as long as you didn't want to ride TT or Soarin'. The CM's did a good job at keeping things so you could move around. The Busiest day was Jan 2nd. Fantasyland was swamped most of the afternoon. I went there primarily to eat Lunch at BOG.

With all the walking at Disney the knee did very well, although my feet got sore and tender. I ended up buying some new shoes at the New Balance Outlet in Orlando while I was on Vacation. I bought some 1140's they are more of a stability shoe than I normally wear. With the extra running I was doing I'm wondering if I needed a more suportive show. I wore them around IOA and US to test them out and they felt pretty good. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get out and do some running/walking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter