Walt Warriors

Howdy Kids!!

'Nuther hot day in Florida. Got out and did 43 bike miles today BTW, that's over a third of a FULL IRONMAN BIKE RIDE. A bit of an aggravating ride with traffic, stoplight and debris on the path issues. Also my frickin' work kept calling me (note: Must put unique ringtone so I know which calls to IGNORE!!! ). Conditioning is severely "meh" right now. I also drink a LOT and have some trouble taking enough liquids with me. I guess I need to actually PLAN some rides so I can dive into a convenience store here or there.

Also, I took my first spill on the new bike today. Totally my fault, but fortunately it was low speed. I actually threw myself underneath the bike so it wouldnt hit the asphalt. I will heal, carbon fiber will not. Just a few left sided bruises and a little bit of road rash.

Good excuse for officially entering ToT taper, huh?

Katie - Negative on the helmet. Put some extra pads of the front, but they didn't hold. I'm either going to have to add some extra styrofoam up front to hold it away or carve some channels in it (which I really won't do, due to the safety factors involved) Too bad about the cold. Get better. BTW, you could be me. Yesterday I was diagnosed with a case of SHINGLES! Ack!! :crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2: Lots of big pills for the next few days.

John - love the McFlurry idea, but I'd end up wearing most of it. Neat and tidy are 2 words that do no really apply to me.

Johde - Keep at it buddy! remember, if you go 2 steps forward and 1 step back you are still moving forward!

Stay safe all!! I have droned on way to long.....................

Jim-you got the first dump over with and the bike is OK, that's great news. Oh, right, you are ok too....good. :rotfl: A special ring tone is a very good idea.

As some say, the horse is in the barn.

Did my 10K walk this morning and the humidity was back at 85%. YUCK. I was feeling pretty good today and finished with a 10:04 average pace. Tomorrow I think I just might try to get some swim laps in the FW pool.

Safe travels everyone.

Good luck everyone in the TOT 10 miler.

Today I got out and did a total of almost 6 miles. So I actually got 3 runs in this week. It wasn't what I was planning on doing. I started out with about a 1/2 mile walk, I tried putting in a couple of short runs and at least the first couple really felt off so I continued with that for another 1/2 mile and things started to loosen up and feel better. So, I started putting some regularity into my run/walk and ended up doing about 1.5 miles at a 30/45 ratio. At that point, I had made it back to my car and a pit stop. Normally I would have gone further down the trail but needed to turn around early. After the short pit stop I was feeling good enough to do a short test of the race day program in my Garmin. I started off with a mile and a half at a 1/1 ratio. I had set my watch to beep at my if I was running faster than a 10:40 pace. I was hoping for about a 13:00 pace and ended up doing about a 13:30 and I was bumping into the max pace alarm so I think I need to set the alarm a little bit faster. Next, I switched to 1:15/:45 for 1.25 miles. The goal here was about a 12:30 and seemed to settle into that average pace nicely. So for the most part a fairly successful day out even if I was what I had planned.

Jeremy-good deal. Nice and easy does it by preventing injury and adding base for future speed.

Jim-reading your ToT post sounded spot on for weather and results. Just imagine if it was 20+ degrees cooler. :cool1:

Another race done and the last night time race for me. Fell again but much worse than during the Inaugural W&D. Still hurting this AM but I am puzzled by the fact that my right shoulder has greater pain free, but not cracking free, movement. Reaching up a little improved but reaching across chest I have about 2.5" of greater pain free movement. :confused3

Got my McFlurry at the 3.46 mile mark and it was so good. It should last longer when I stop for another during the marathon in January.

Good Monday Warriors!

Back from the "Inagural" Tot (although I have 3 other medals that look very similar......... :P).

John - Sorry about your spill. Hopefully you heal without difficulty.

AFM - Had a nice time. The course itself was ok. The conditions sucked. The "distractions" (as I call them) were severely "Meh". But, due to my relative proximity to WDW and owning a house down there, I'll probably do it again. I DO wish it would start at 9 vs. 10, though............. I see no real reason for the extra hour delay in starting.

But some issues did arise....... About mile 6-7 my hips started bothering me and the discomfort was pretty severe by the end. I ran the whole race (with the exception of a couple of shorts stops for technical issues) in the new minimalist shoes. Not sure if that was the cause or not. I've decided to commit to these through the W&D, and if the problems don't resolve, then out the door they gooooo!! I have a pair of CW-X compression shorts I have run in in the past for minor hip issues, so I'm gonna' whip those back out and see if they help. Additionally, my (supposedly extinct) plantar fasciitis reared it's ugly head in my right foot (which is where I had the PF tear a few years ago) again. No. I did NOT tape my foot with KT Tape this race. Which I ALWAYS do (simply forgot to bring the tape with me). Won't be making that mistake again. Ever. I hope.

ETA: Some of the issues may stem from the fact that this was my longest run of the last 4 1/2 months. Never did over 7 all summer due to the usual Florida summer weather.

But the best part of the night was riding ToT w/my DD (who finished her first big race Saturday). Our trip had FOUR full plunges down the elevator shaft. Best. Ride. Ever.! And my DW and I pretended we were young again and dragged our a**** to bed about 4 a.m.. Ahhhhhhhh. Youth and Stamina are SO wasted on the young......................

PS - the after race changing facility sucked.

Jim-wouldn't be surprised that the 10pm starting time had to be because of the 8pm Osceola road closure. Really bad luck your issues popped up.

A problem I was not expecting was the SLOW start for corral A. I figured I was one of the slowest in the corral being a walker and that is why I was the last individual over the starting mat with only the Autism Speaks Team behind me for a photo-op. First mile was 9:21 but it was up and down since there were so many very slow people walking. Doesn't do the body good walking comfortably, slowing way down and then having to sprint walk in the 7:00mpm pace to get around and into a clear zone.

After blending back in from my McFlurry stop things got better as I was eating and maintaining a 10:30 pace. Finally decide to test my newly acquired jogging stride when a 20-30 year younger woman past me and I paced off of her. She was so smooth and it was great until she pulled off for a picture. Then I caught onto another woman and followed her until my fall.

What a bummer. Pretty lousy completing the race with one eye opened and the other closed much of the time for the remaining 1.5 mile.

Overall my race was good and I'm thinking I could PR the Space Coast Marathon combining my walking/jogging/running.

John- I'm gutted that you fell! :( so sorry you got hurt and had to finish like a pirate with one eye. It seems that you only just survived the TOT 10miler  glad you got you mcflurry and managed a great pace overall. Think you should be super proud!

Jim- to be honest I've never fancied a night race for all the reasons you write about. I remember thinking how little you could see at the start of the marathon, can't imagine a whole race like that. But you obviously have to go now you have a beautiful house there! Big cheer for your wife too!!!

Jeremy- it looks like you're training hard, keep at it and you will see the benefits!

Me- did our local zoo 5k on Saturday and tried to do it as a fastish paced run. Overall pace was 8:10mpm including some slow bridge sections due to slippery conditions so pretty pleased with that. It was lovely running past all of the animals (although they didn't seem quite as thrilled to be woken up!). Not much pain, took few days off, back on it tomorrow :)

Jim- I meant to say earlier that I can't believe you have shingles! Hear I am whining about a cold (which has gone now!). Hope you're feeling OK :)

Hi Everyone

John - Congratulation on finishing and getting your McFlurry. Sorry to hear about your scrapes.

Jim - Congratulations as well on finishing. It sound like you had a couple of rough patches out there.

Kate - Nice job on the 5K.

AFM - I feel like I've taken 2 steps back. Monday's run wasn't horrible but I paid for it yesterday. I was stiff and sore off and on yesterday. I've decided to bite the bullet and take a week off (something I should have done a month ago) to finish healing up. I have a holiday on Monday so I can do a long run then instead of Friday. I'll probably do something like out 2, back 2, out the other way 2, back 2 etc. So I'm always fairly close to the car. Not what I wanted to do 2 1/2 weeks out from the race but finishing healing is priority 1.

Jeremy-I am really bummed out having read your post. Sounds like your bod just isn't happy. Take the time off for resting and eating properly.

Good luck.

John - I probably should have said, today's been a pretty good day. But, it's also the first day I would have run I didn't. Part of the problem may be I get a little bit better start doing again a little too soon and don't let things fully heal. I've made it through a several 10 mile + long runs this summer in getting ready including a 12 2 1/2 weeks ago. So this summer hasn't been a total loss. This has just happened at an inopportune time.

Hey Warriors!!

It's STILL hot as crap in NE Florida. 82 F at 0800 this morning with comparable humidity. Kind of frustrating because I want (& need) to start stretching my mileage out, but I simply can't due to the conditions. Bummer.

Since the ToT I've managed 3 days of cardio. Nothing real crazy ( once again due to the crappy conditions ). 1 1 hour MTB ride and a total of about 12-13 miles on my feet. Shoes seem to be working out pretty well. No more hip issues (so far). I'm going to try an EARLY MORNING long run in the next few days. Have to work a double shift Friday-Saturday, so nothing till Sunday. Ah. The rest will do me some good.

Not much else today. Press On!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Here's my update!
ToT was hot and humid. My plan was to run at training pace - around 13:30 min/mile. I ran with 2 friends but we took care not to run 3 across. We did run 30sec/walk 30 sec from the beginning. 1st 5k was at 13:23 pace. 2nd 5k we hit some course crowding and a slow water stop and averaged 13:50 min/mile. Unfortunately we lost one friend at the gravel because she couldn't run on the gravel path and we weaved around some walkers. The person who stayed with me, Sarah, was running her first distance race. I thought that she was feeling like she could go faster so we picked up the pace for the last 5k. I think we ran the last 3-4 miles at around 12 min/mile pace. I felt the heat a bit at mike 8 - we were going pretty fast at that point - but just slowed a bit and was ok. Sarah was pretty done by the finish line but I felt good. I finished in 2:11:58 and she was about 10-20 sec behind me. I averaged 13:12 min/mile which is my slowest race pace but was within my goal. Thrilled with negative splits.

Sunday is my local half marathon. I'm hoping or a PR around 2:30. Weather will be iffy - nice a cool (40s - 50s) but probably raining. I went almost 3 miles at 10:49 pace today so that's a good sign!

I had the pleasure of meeting my coach and hero, Jeff Galloway, this past weekend. What a gentleman!!!

Amanda

Hi all - Jim, Sorry to hear about the heat down south. The weather here's been great. Low's in the 40's and highs in the 60's.

Amanda- Nice job on the TOT and the negative split. I got a brief chance to meet Jeff Galloway at Disneyland. Real nice guy.

AFM - Things are going well. I've been true to my word and not done any running even though the weathers been almost perfect. The knee and the hip and everything is feeling fine. Hopefully they will stay that way when I start up again Monday. The forecast for Monday Morning is near freezing.

Jeremy-rest is good and it sounds like it has worked. Proceed with caution and good luck.

Jim-glad to read the hip is doing better and shoes also. How did the long run go?

Amanda-sweat-fest ToT for sure. Hope all went great for your 1/2M today. :thumbsup2

AFM-50 mile bike ride Tuesday, 2500 yards swim in pool Wednesday, 10K walk/jog Thursday and a 62 mile really fast bike ride yesterday with a fall on my right side. Seems the fall might have made my shoulder even better. Going to pool right now to find out.

Oh, almost forgot, Kathy registered me for the Rev3 70.3 in 3 weeks. At least I have 8 hours to complete it.

Be safe u-all.

Jeremy- really impressed that you've managed to take a break from things and are feeling better. I hope you keep taking those steps forward as you ease back into it. Take care!

Amanda- awesome negative split!!! Glad you enjoyed TOT and stuck to your plan. How lovely that you could support a friend too.

Jim- sorry about the heat and humidity. I guess out early is the only way. I must work backwards when over there though as I always found it felt more humid before the sun came up then it seemed to cool off a little. Fingers crossed your hips keep it up!

John- please stop falling!!!! We're going to have to send a support car with you! It would be great if it has helped your shoulder :) madness! Congrats on the latest race sign up! Go for it

Me- keeping at the longer intervals which feels great. I get the biggest mood lift from running intervals, I go to work gently buzzing! Nothing massive from me after a couple of days at a spa celebrating a friend graduating as a solicitor. Did a few brilliant exercise classes whilst the others relaxed!

Got in some cheering time this morning at our local marathon. There's a long fairly steep incline at 24miles (harsh) and I stood at the top of the hill whooping for 2 1/2 hours!!!! Great fun. Sleepy time now. Take care

We today I ended up getting 5 miles done. Not the 10 I wanted but it's something. The first 3 miles went fairly well just a little stiff in the knee. Mile 4 was slightly uphill and things started bothering me a little. I was at my car but decided to go the other way and see if things settled down once I got back on flat ground. They didn't so I turned around and called it a day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter